Burning Audio Cd's

Jai Dee

I have been trying to burn some audio CD's, using NTI CD Maker (Gold) which came pre-installed on my Acer Laptop.

I am using 700MB/80 minute Golden PC discs (made by Mitsubishi) and I have been careful not to go over 60 minutes of data.

The program terminates however, after writing about 500MB of data, which is typically about track 9 of 12.

Any suggestions?

Since posting the original problem, I've also tried using different brands of CDR's, and also tried different software (Nero and JetAudio)... all fail. :o

I am beginning to suspect a hardware problem.

Any more ideas folks?

How old is the cd drive? I had problems with a cd player not being able to read the last few tracks and it turned out that dust collecting in the threads of the shaft that moved the laser lens across the cd had been getting pushed gradually up to the end of the shaft and preventing the lens from physicaly moving far enough to read those last few tracks on the disk. After cleaning the drive out it all worked fine.

cv

How old is the cd drive?

It's only 2 years old max... a DVD/CD R/W combo that came with the laptop I bought in Singapore a couple of years ago.

Good idea re the dust... the missus sweeps the floor of the spare bedroom/computer room every day and the settling dust goes everywhere... :o The drive probably could do with a clean.

Never having done that, how and what would you recommend to clean it?

How old is the cd drive?

It's only 2 years old max... a DVD/CD R/W combo that came with the laptop I bought in Singapore a couple of years ago.

Good idea re the dust... the missus sweeps the floor of the spare bedroom/computer room every day and the settling dust goes everywhere... :o The drive probably could do with a clean.

I used a cu-tip with just a hint of sewing machine oil on it to attract the dust and leave the slight trace of lubricant (any loose oil can cause trouble potentialy) in the threads of the shaft. Just be careful to only touch the shaft. Spinning the cotton tip along the threads should pull off the lint and dust.

cv

How old is the cd drive?

Good idea re the dust... the missus sweeps the floor of the spare bedroom/computer room every day and the settling dust goes everywhere... :D The drive probably could do with a clean.

I used a cu-tip with just a hint of sewing machine oil on it to attract the dust and leave the slight trace of lubricant (any loose oil can cause trouble potentialy) in the threads of the shaft. Just be careful to only touch the shaft. Spinning the cotton tip along the threads should pull off the lint and dust.

cv

Cheers mate... I'll give it a try tonight. :o