Let The Elections Begin...

hanuman1

And they're off!

Reports coming in that the polling station at BigC, Don Chan (that's the one on the superhighway southeast of town), is very busy despite the weather.

I don't know how many other polling stations are open today for Thai 'out-of-towners' but it would be interesting on this day and on the main day next week for people to post their observations of what's happening at polling stations around town.

Let's keep 'em honest, people!!!

More than very busy in the Big C area. The frontage roads in both directions were at a virtual standstill about 30 minutes ago with cars parked everywhere including on the main lanes of the Superhighway itself. Lots of people having to walk across the main highway to get to the polling station and almost nothing in the way of police to keep any kind of order or slow the traffic down. I hope that no-one gets hurt on the road.

My wife said the radio was claiming that 20-30,000 people were there (or expected).

Edited by Greenside

What happened to the European Union or was it U.N. election monitors?

Caught in the traffic probably. It took me an hour to pick up my wife at around 12:30...

And just as a postscript to this thread, I'm told a significant number of people arrived at the polling station in what appeared to be good time but were unable to cast their vote due to the backlog that had built up, presumably due to the chaotic traffic outside. Sounds like that will cause some trouble.

What happened to the European Union or was it U.N. election monitors?

I think theyre due to arrive 4 th July,

standard UN operating procedure.

LOL Pond Life what you say is so true. Reminds me when the EU was being formed, the media was claiming it would be the next super power rivaling the USA. What a laugh the EU takes 3 months to make a decision on having a meeting let alone come to an agreement to take action on any issue in less than a year.

Just curious: How is the "cut-off" handled in Thailand? Or in your home country, for that matter. I was told by a Thai that when it's poll-closing time, say 8 pm (or whatever time it is), no more people are allowed to cast their vote, even though they may have been waiting in line for a long time.

In the US, the only country with which I have experience, when poll-closing time rolls around all voters who are in line are allowed to vote. No more people are allowed to join the line, but those in line can vote regardless of how long it takes.

What's the policy or law concerning this in Thailand?

Just curious: How is the "cut-off" handled in Thailand? Or in your home country, for that matter. I was told by a Thai that when it's poll-closing time, say 8 pm (or whatever time it is), no more people are allowed to cast their vote, even though they may have been waiting in line for a long time.

In the US, the only country with which I have experience, when poll-closing time rolls around all voters who are in line are allowed to vote. No more people are allowed to join the line, but those in line can vote regardless of how long it takes.

What's the policy or law concerning this in Thailand?

No idea here but I think the UK handles it the same way as you've described.