In Udon Thani, Red Villagers Resist

webfact

In Udon Thani, red villagers resist

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Udon Thani

As we drive down to the village, about 20 minutes from the provincial capital of Udon Thani, 42-year-old Kamsaen, wife of village headman Korngchai Chaikang, complains about allegations that their village is a training site for anti-monarchist armed militants.

"They should show us evidence. Yesterday, we were visited by Isoc people," she said, referring to the Army's Internal Security Operations Command. "They came to repair [two] houses, yet even after completing the job, they kept coming back. It's not normal having the Army come to the village so regularly."

This is how life at Ban Nong Hu Ling in Udon Thani province has changed since foreign and local media publicised it as being the Kingdom's first self-designated "Red-shirt Village for Democracy".

Korngchai, 44, who is driving his grey pick-up truck, interjects: "I asked why they kept coming back so many times, and one said he had fallen for a local girl."

Korngchai does not look convinced.

"The district chief and his deputy also visited us. Plus, we get about three to four phone calls every day. It's bad. It's like we're being harassed," Kamsaen continues. "These actions prove that the military is meddling in politics."

As we get to the village, we see a big red sign. On it, ousted, convicted, fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, the de-facto leader of the Pheu Thai Party, greets us with a broad smile. The sign declares: "Red-shirt Village for Democracy". On December 15 last year, this community of mostly poor rice farmers was declared a red village.

A photo of the couple in front of the sign is quickly snapped. The village headman points out that many red flags in front of villagers' homes have been removed after the authorities "requested" them to do so.

"The district chief asked us to remove them but some households refused nonetheless," said Kamsaen. "They can't stop us from being red."

We soon pass one of the two houses recently repaired by the Army. I notice that a brand new portrait of the King and Queen is attached to the equally new exterior wall of the house. It is not shielded from the sun or rain and very visible from the roadside, so I ask house owner Thongbai Walpat, 76, about it. She says the picture came part and parcel with the repair job by the Isoc Army officers.

As we arrive at Korngchai's house, he produces a two-page memo from theArmy detailing the visit and handover ceremony of the two repaired houses, which was attended by the Agence France-Presse (AFP) news team and local media, just a few days earlier. I scan through the paper and one line catches my attention. On June 14, between 1.20pm to 2.20pm, the document stated, the Army visitors were to "meet with people and study their socio-psychological state".

"They handed this document to me. I don't know if they were trying to test me or something," Korngchai says.

"How can we be amicable to them when they tell us to remove the red flags," his wife protests.

Korngchai then explains why the village, like hundreds of others in Udon Thani and elsewhere, has declared itself red. He says that after the April-May suppression of red-shirt protesters in Bangkok and elsewhere, his son was arrested and detained for alleged trespassing and disturbance in front of Udon Thani provincial hall, which was allegedly burnt down by red shirts. He says that many red shirts are living in fear and have very low morale.

"Some burnt their red shirts. Others buried their [red-shirt] CDs. So we declared the village red to announce that we won't fear the power of the state."

One female villager who joins our conversation says that she feels sad that the village is now being accused of being a training site for armed militants. "We just want justice," said Sompart Chin-kham.

Kamsaen insists that another allegation, that red shirts aim to abolish the monarchy, is not true. She says red shirts merely want to make sure the palace and politics are kept apart.

With his son and 20 others still in jail without bail over a year after the incident, the village headman hopes the fact that many homes have removed the red flags would help them win others' sympathy.

But with a general election taking place very soon, the two say they think there could be an extra-constitutional intervention from the so-called "invisible hand", or another military coup, despite their firm belief that the Pheu Thai Party will win convincingly.

If people accept yet another military coup, Kamsaen says with a laugh, "it means that people in this country are stupid."

Her husband, wearing an Udon-red-shirt polo shirt and red jacket, adds that he believes the "invisible hand" will more likely intervene in the background. Either way, Korngchai predicts, "the damage will be felt throughout the country."

The couple have had to answer many enquiries from the Army and the authorities, with one of the crucial questions being whether local people organised and designated their villages as red by themselves or not.

The answer was "yes".

I tell them that perhaps that gives the authorities all the more reason to be paranoid.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-27

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"......... his son was arrested and detained for alleged trespassing and disturbance in front of Udon Thani provincial hall, which was allegedly burnt down by red shirts."

Hmmm. As it was burnt down, I assume the second allegedly refers to whether it was done by the red shirts. Are there any other candidates? Silly me, probably the army in plain clothes, to make the red shirts look bad.

"........ the Army visitors were to "meet with people and study their socio-psychological state"." Psy-war and brainwashing are legitimate fields of interest for the RTA. It interests me that those who are members of an organisation that has committed criminal acts believe that this stigma should not be attached to themselves or the organisation. Also, that punishment should not be incurred for committing those acts. I wonder if anyone in the village is brave enough to ask him "If your son burnt down the town hall, why shouldn't he be in gaol?"

" She says red shirts merely want to make sure the palace and politics are kept apart." She seems a little confused on the role of the head of state in a constitutional monarchy. Then again, all the red shirts views on democracy are Thaksinistic, and far from those living in "real" democracy.

"............... Kamsaen says with a laugh, "it means that people in this country are stupid."" Actually, just one part of the country. (Yes, I admit, taken out of context, but it was just too accurate to resist!)

The problem I have with 'red' villages is the unspoken suggestion that there are no dissidents, all are red. I find this difficult to believe and somehow 'democracy' is lost a bit.

I can't prove this, it's just a feeling, but I keep thinking 'vote for us now, after you don't have to vote any more' :ermm:

"......... his son was arrested and detained for alleged trespassing and disturbance in front of Udon Thani provincial hall, which was allegedly burnt down by red shirts."

Hmmm. As it was burnt down, I assume the second allegedly refers to whether it was done by the red shirts. Are there any other candidates? Silly me, probably the army in plain clothes, to make the red shirts look bad.

"........ the Army visitors were to "meet with people and study their socio-psychological state"." Psy-war and brainwashing are legitimate fields of interest for the RTA. It interests me that those who are members of an organisation that has committed criminal acts believe that this stigma should not be attached to themselves or the organisation. Also, that punishment should not be incurred for committing those acts. I wonder if anyone in the village is brave enough to ask him "If your son burnt down the town hall, why shouldn't he be in gaol?"

" She says red shirts merely want to make sure the palace and politics are kept apart." She seems a little confused on the role of the head of state in a constitutional monarchy. Then again, all the red shirts views on democracy are Thaksinistic, and far from those living in "real" democracy.

"............... Kamsaen says with a laugh, "it means that people in this country are stupid."" Actually, just one part of the country. (Yes, I admit, taken out of context, but it was just too accurate to resist!)

Can you imagine being on the receiving end? I think not.

To live in a country where the army over run everything, Not the Police but the Army, you support that?

Where do you come from? China? Argentina? Columbia? Old Soviet Union?

\

I wonder if it has ever occurred to the gentleman, that when his son (allegedly) burnt down Udon's City Hall, that it will be rebuilt with taxpayer' funds allocated to Udon. Now that's probably not enough to build a hospital, but certainly enough for a school or two, or to repair a lot of roads.

And why isn't the son out on bail? Either no help from his co-arsonists, or his case is considered water-tight enough to make the "allegedly" redundant. Perhaps even the dreaded video footage?

The problem I have with 'red' villages is the unspoken suggestion that there are no dissidents, all are red. I find this difficult to believe and somehow 'democracy' is lost a bit.

I can't prove this, it's just a feeling, but I keep thinking 'vote for us now, after you don't have to vote any more' :ermm:

I thought the same. In red land you are not allowed to have a different opinion. If your not red, keep your mouth shut or leave, it's about democracy you know. Of course they are not violent but I have been stuck in two red demonstrations, one in Chiang Mai and one in Bangkok and I must admit I was scared.

When will the "ethnic" cleansing start?

Why not ask random residents, not the head people, what they hope to achieve by doing this, what they hope will happen in Thailand, why they think Thaksin personally calls in each time a red village is set up and how they would handle any village member who refused to join in?

Edited by ballpoint

Some off topic posts have been removed. Posters are reminded to stay on topic and to refrain from comments concerning the character of other posters.

Maybe another reminder is due:

Please note that due to the high number of defamatory, abusive, insulting, trollish and inflammatory posts that a zero tolerance policy is being implemented until the election.

If you cannot refrain from posting slander, lies, rumors, defamation, insults, trolls or just posting to inflame other members then you will find your posting rights immediately suspended.

Please read the forum rules very carefully before posting as they will be strictly enforced in this forum.

Why not ask random residents, not the head people, what they hope to achieve by doing this, what they hope will happen in Thailand, why they think Thaksin personally calls in each time a red village is set up and how they would handle any village member who refused to join in?

The residents will say what the head people want to hear. Fearfactor.

Interview a bunch of them, each one separately in private so no one knows who said what. If a reporter can't tell the difference between a rehearsed response to a question and an opinion reached by careful thought then they have no business being sent on assignment in this sort of story. The same went for last years red protests. We saw many interviews with leaders, but no real ones with the "common" protestors. Don't these people have their own opinion?

Edited by ballpoint

Interview a bunch of them, each one separately in private so no one knows who said what. If a reporter can't tell the difference between a rehearsed response to a question and an opinion reached by careful thought then they have no business being sent on assignment in this sort of story. The same went for last years red protests. We saw many interviews with leaders, but no real ones with the "common" protestors. Don't these people have their own opinion?

Whether through intimidation, brainwashing, or rational thought, the "converted" will espouse the party line. This is not limited to red shirts or Thais - it occurs in any political situation throughout the world. It might not be so easy for a reporter to discern the distinctions.

What bothers me more is the foreign reporters who have access to information but throw nothing but soft questions to political leaders. Hard questions, with knowledgeable follow-up questions, stand to have a better chance of uncovering the truth.

Hard questions, with knowledgeable follow-up questions, stand to have a better chance of uncovering the truth.

That certainly seems true with the recent media interviews with the leaders Yingluck and Thaksin when asked even mildly "hard questions."

The responses are a mixed bag of obfuscations and non-specific non-answers to the questions asked with a large smatterings of "uhhhh's and ahhh's and ermmm's."

Ironically, the truth is still uncovered in this manner just by their absurd fabrications and historical misstatements.

Concerns over the red villages are reasonable. Whenever the fervor is to such a degree, then worry for those with any dissent on any of the multitude of issues is justifiable.

Edited by Buchholz

Having a big sign declaring where the village stands politically is insane and typical of oppressive groups, be them in power or not.

Doesn't it strike these 'freedom fighters' that the same method has been used by many oppressive regimes to force conformity?

Having a big sign declaring where the village stands politically is insane and typical of oppressive groups, be them in power or not.

Doesn't it strike these 'freedom fighters' that the same method has been used by many oppressive regimes to force conformity?

Freedom means any one can openly choose any political leaning they like, and not be directed to be one way by the local powers.

"Red Villages" means oppression of the dissenting voices in those villages.

I agree, and I support the notion that not all villagers would not be red shirts.

But, it's a fact of life that in many (not all) upcountry villages people don't talk unless they are told to by the village headman (the Kumnan) and in 99% of cases they would not give any dissenting view.

In fact in many villages they would be frightened to give a dissenting view, frightened of a host of different reprisals. And not to be forgotten is that many of these folks have limited to zero resources.

Freedom means any one can openly choose any political leaning they like, and not be directed to be one way by the local powers.

Massive deliberate manipulation, driven by one man!

Very soon the Army would accuse the so-called Red Village as communists...make thing easy for them...

Sorry to say, but even as opinion this is utter nonsense, in my opinion of course ;)

How was it during the pre-Thaksin days? Was Thailand a model of democracy then? From what I read on these informed posts, there had been something like what, 17-18 coups in the last 70 years?

How was it during the pre-Thaksin days? Was Thailand a model of democracy then? From what I read on these informed posts, there had been something like what, 17-18 coups in the last 70 years?

I don't think your remarks are relevant. The rise of 'red villages' seems to coincide with the 'red schools' started a few years ago by UDD leader (and currently PTP candidate as well) Dr. weng.

I don't think your remarks are relevant. The rise of 'red villages' seems to coincide with the 'red schools' started a few years ago by UDD leader (and currently PTP candidate as well) Dr. weng.

My remark was a response to scorecard's post.

I thought the same. In red land you are not allowed to have a different opinion. If your not red, keep your mouth shut or leave, it's about democracy you know. Of course they are not violent but I have been stuck in two red demonstrations, one in Chiang Mai and one in Bangkok and I must admit I was scared.

That about sums it up.

I wonder what would happen if someone donned a yellow shirt and walked through the centre of that village. Some would call it suicide.

I'd take my chances as a buddhist rubber plantation worker in Pattani before I'd try that trick.

Edited by samran

That about sums it up.

I wonder what would happen if someone donned a yellow shirt and walked through the centre of that village. Some would call it suicide.

I'd take my chances as a buddhist rubber plantation worker in Pattani before I'd try that trick.

Thats what the military should do. Get some commandos to go hang out there in yellow shirts with plain closed back up near by. Bait the wolves out of their sheep's clothing if you will.

My remark was a response to scorecard's post.

Rubi's comment is still quite relevant.

No, Thailand was certainly not a model of democracy, far from it, and a fair number of offenders who prevented democracy from developing were upcountry locals who had bought their way to the feeding trough and then joined the upcountry local leeches who manipulated villagers for their own gain, and with no conscience. It also happend in the city and there is no party which has a clean slate.

Then comes along thaksin who turned manipulation into a massive enterprise, again with no conscience whatever, and took into his fold (gang of thieves) many of the upcountry village heads / locals turned political leeches.

By the way, the 17 / 18 coups were not all about building / protecting democracy etc. Many of the past coups were conducted by military strongmen who simply wanted control, democracy not on their minds.

Edited by scorecard

The ominous signs of a cult-like following are beginning to appear... :unsure:

I would say for the last 4-5 years.

Of course Weng and Thida would prefer a 'Proletariat Paradise' sooner, but first things first; attack an existing figure head while building up a new one. In the chaos that follows this neo-Great Leap Forward the people can be turned to more purist sources of their philosophy and marching orders.

'The Cult Of Thaksin' is the only thing that they can use against a solidly entrenched system surrounding a truly beloved person. That this 'new Thaksin cult' is based on a sham is a given, but doesn't stop the converted to be blind to reality as they have been trained to be.

Cynically manipulative is only the basic description of this propaganda war..