For That Hard To Find Hardware Or Kitchen Item

TongueThaied

At True Value Hardware, located in Bangkok at N13° 50.979', E100° 30.887', you can order ANYTHING in the U.S. True Value catalogue. If you go online to any U.S. True Value and get the SKU#, you can order it. I ordered a contractor's wheel barrow with pneumatic tires and a 200,000 BTU weed burner. There are only two difficulties: (1) the item will cost about 220% of the U.S. price; and (2) you need to find somebody with a brain that can speak English at the Thai True Value (I contact the manager at the Pattaya store if I want to place a special order -- Khun Panadda, 081-782-4624, her English is good and you can communicate with her by e-mail).

I do everything in Bangkok by GPS. It's the only way I can find anything. If you have no GPS and want a map, you can plug the coordinates into Goole Maps and you will get the location on a map.

Also, True Value almost always has a sale going on imported items -- for members only. The membership is free, but you cannot get a membership and quailfy for the sale price on the same day. To get the sale prices, you have to have been a member for 30 days. I once saved 30% on a Weber Genesis EP 320 gas grill (cost in the US, $700, Thai price 42,000 baht, savings 12,600 baht). I f'ing love this grill and use it practically every day. There is NOTHING in Thailand to match it, and I have looked at them all.

Happy shopping!

220% sounds about right.

Went looking for a rollaway tool box, similar to those sold in the US for about $300, and they wanted THB31,000 for the combo, and the boxes were MUCH smaller than the Sears versions in the US. I'm going into the tool box business...

TrueValue is VERY expensive, but they seem to know their target audience.

220% sounds about right.

Went looking for a rollaway tool box, similar to those sold in the US for about $300, and they wanted THB31,000 for the combo, and the boxes were MUCH smaller than the Sears versions in the US. I'm going into the tool box business...

you can also check out www.thegstores.com for usa as seen on tv products. They do free delivery all over thailand and their prices are similar to usa prices.

goodluck

cheers

220% sounds about right.

You are absolutely right about the expense. I will buy something there if I desperately want it and cannot find it anywhere else here. I am VERY happy with the pneumatic tire wheel barrow, so much easier to use than the hard rubber ones. It was "worth it." My Weber BBQ is one of my most appreciated and used possessions here. I, too, looked at the roll away tool boxes. I had a nice Sears ball-bearing version in the States, but could not throw down the THB31,000 for the one at TV. It was just too much, and though I would love to have one, it would not have the daily use that the Weber gets.

So, if you DO go into the tool box business, I would like to be your first customer!