Do You Expect To Live Past 70?

OlafStapleton

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you expect to live past 70?

I couldn't comply with answering all of the questions,

as I would have liked to see more options,like:

"I hope I live to reach 70"

After all we can expect all we like,but it's completely out of our hands.

Edited by MAJIC

Some guys are still boffing 20 year old virgins at the age of 70... Isn't that something to look forwards to?

Just make sure your swimmers are duds otherwise some guys wife will try and ruin your teaching career and good job at the airport !

Nice one you remember that thread too eh !!!

This bring things to mind for me, a mate who was in the Navy for 27 years, when got out he was well in the money and drinking smoking and other things and I said to him your going kill yourself at this rate,

he said " Live well die young and have a good looking corpse ".

Another was my Nan on me mothers side at 87 she got hit by a car on a zebra crossing, she use to wear black all the time so I guess it was a case of now I see you and now I don't for the driver, anyway while visiting her in hospital mum said pop out and get a bottle of Guinness for your Nan, when I came back Dad was there and said now you know why we call that stuff iron girders. She went on until she was 89.

I want to live till I'm 70+ even though I have nearly cop it many a time but guess I been lucky so far.

Edited by Kwasaki

It's kind of a funny poll for me because I'm ALREADY 71, so I have to say yes. But, there is a HUGE difference between being alive and actually living. If you want to live to a ripe old age then pick parents who live into their nineties. My father died at 87 and my mother at 82. I think some people die because they want to. It stops being fun for them. Statistics say that women outlive men, but statistics are for losers. The sad part is when you reach 60 and some of your friends start dying. That increases as you get older. In the past year I've lost 5 good friends and work mates. In the past 10 years I've lost 20 friends. At some point your health deteriorates to a point where you just can't enjoy living anymore. I've been blessed with good genes and an interesting life that keeps me going. But, I expect in the next 10 years, if I don't get killed by someone or some thing, that I'll have to slow down. I don't smoke, I exercise, I eat well and stay in good shape, and enjoy sex about 3 or 4 times a week when I'm in Thailand. I'll continue doing so until I can't do it any more.

The answer to really living was coined by the old cowboy in Tom T Hall's great song... Faster horses

Its faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.

For me it's mostly the younger women. I don't drink much whiskey and I no longer bet on the ponies.

I'll never die and I'll never will run out of money. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Don't owe nothing, except taxes each year and always spend less than what we earn... the secret to a stress free life.

Considering the alternatives, going past 70 is not so bad

The alternatives could be heaven or reincarnation.

Or roasting in hell for all eternity. :crying:

But most of the expats are now Buddhists, right? Which means the ultimate penalty isn't really as ultimate as it may seem - Narok is not for eternity...

Geez, 70?

This poll freaks me out. I just turned 67, have a beautiful Thai gf who is 40 years younger than me, we go out dancing two nights a week, make love everyday, laugh everyday, travel and generally have a wonderful life. I guess if this were to end in 3 years so be it. I'll go out rocking. BTW, I am in good shape, exercise everyday, recreational drinker and smoker with great DNA - parents lived into 80's and 90's and good old Uncle Earnest lived to a 103. I am the only one of my long term buddies who is having any fun. Only cars and motorbikes need rearview mirrors, I.e. forget about the past, live today as if it were your last and make sure to have some money for tomorrow. Life is what you want it to be.

Cheers, Headgame

Geez, 70?

This poll freaks me out. I just turned 67, have a beautiful Thai gf who is 40 years younger than me, we go out dancing two nights a week, make love everyday, laugh everyday, travel and generally have a wonderful life. I guess if this were to end in 3 years so be it. I'll go out rocking. BTW, I am in good shape, exercise everyday, recreational drinker and smoker with great DNA - parents lived into 80's and 90's and good old Uncle Earnest lived to a 103. I am the only one of my long term buddies who is having any fun. Only cars and motorbikes need rearview mirrors, I.e. forget about the past, live today as if it were your last and make sure to have some money for tomorrow. Life is what you want it to be.

Cheers, Headgame

I could be your older brother. We live life the same way... fast and loose. I hear all the complaints from my married Canadian friends who are dying a slow death. And, those are the happy ones. I won't associate with grumpy people. I keep saying to spend it while you still have it. It will be gone too soon. You can only sit on one chair at a time and sleep in one place at a time. Anything else is extraneous.

Both sides of the family seem to live into the 90's and remain relatively active, the non smokers that is. As a non smoker myself I intend to have many years abusing my Govt and Civil Service Pensions. If they're still around that is :whistling:

Good comments. I particularly appreciate the philosophy and words of wisdom on how to live, how to save for the future, and indeed how to look forward to a happy and contented future. Not being able to pick one's parents kind of predestines one's longevity, if genes have anything to do with it. I still have 8 years until I'm 70, but doing just fine; I'm in A-1 health. Driving my motorcycle, though, might interfere with my plans for a happy and healthy long life here in Thailand. We'll see.

I lived in Thailand at 22 years of age and at 65 years of age. I have more fun now at 65 than when I was 22. I am sure you can guess why but it begins with a trip to the Thai fountain of youth. Bangkok bank, Siam Bank, …........

If I had to choose from all the chronic illnesses one can have at old age; I'd pick being nuts ... I'm nuts but not aware of it. With the others you suffer and you're living it every day.

Being nuts is someone else's problem biggrin.gif

Alzheimer's can't be that bad you won't know when you going to die and you can watch your favourite film over and over again. :clap2:

Edited by Kwasaki

If I had to choose from all the chronic illnesses one can have at old age; I'd pick being nuts ... I'm nuts but not aware of it. With the others you suffer and you're living it every day.

Alzheimer's can't be that bad you won't know when you going to die and you can watch your favourite film over and over again. :clap2:

It can be bad, my relative could only remember that her children never visit, even when they visit that day.

She cry much because always lonely.

Edited by OlafStapleton

It can be bad, my relative could only remember that her children never visit, even when they visit that day.

She cry much because always lonely.

I'm 40 and I don't have any kids (yet) ... one less thing to be sad about when they don't visit. Besides; I'll have too many friends at the home. My gran started going off at 85; but she was fun to be around because the faux pas were quite entertaining and she was a good sport.

Not all of us live miserable lives and remember only the <deleted> times ...

I turn the big 70 next month and I am very much looking forward to a great many more years of the good life. My genetics should be good because Mom is a healthy 96 and still drives her car and my relatives are very long lived. My wife is half my age and into the same heavy duty sports as I am so I am very motivated to stay healthy and extemely physically active. All I need now is the most important ingredient which is a lot of 'very good luck' if I am going to eventually reach the century mark. :)

All in my family get old.

Especially om my mother's side (most mid 90s).

What worries me is (God forbid) if I end up alone here at old age, and maybe some health problems as well.

How will I do it regarding visa and stuff?

Back in the old land the state will provide for me if im old and sick.

What will bappen to me here if Im old and sick, and alone?

That is what worries me.

What worries me is (God forbid) if I end up alone here at old age, and maybe some health problems as well.

That is what worries me.

I think what you have brought up is a fascinating subject and probably worthy of a thread by itself but it is related to how long you expect to live.

I am of two opinions. My first was to get a house and small business and car in a small town with access to medical facilities all at a reasonable price.

I did that. So I am OK for the rest of my life even if I live to be 100. Since my income depends on me being alive the Thai family has reason to keep me alive enough to wheel me into an embassy on demand to prove my living status. Of course no one in the family speaks English. Hardly anyone in the town speaks English. The English teacher says he speaks English but I doubt that.

Which leads me to my second opinion, finding a woman who is educated, and speaks and writes English to take care of my affairs if I can't. I did that too. So now I have one in country and one in the city. So far it has been easy enough to keep them apart because the lady in the country can't leave the business. Sooner or later though I should probably make a choice. It is a lot to consider. Nobody can get my cash except me and it is disbursed monthly so I am not worried about that and I have been wheeled to an ATM and/or bank by a hospital before.

I used to hope to die before I got old, but I realised later that my lifestyle would see me die prematurely, but also old and aged more so.

It would be bad enough to die at 65, without being decrepit at 55...

So I decided not to worry about it... drink and wild living is bad enough, but imagine stress on top of that? Imagine if you took it seriously?

As my dear old grandmother continued to say, long after it was ironic, I hope I don;t end up like that....

SC

I'm 60 years old and worked all my life. Now retired 4 years and loving it. I go to LOS about 4 months of the year, and when not in LOS live very nicely near the beach in SE US. Still shag ladies 1/2 by age or less and expect to do so in the future.

The key for me was living slightly below my means for most of my working career and saving a tidy sum along with my retirement savings. Now I dont save a penny and spend what i get each month. Life is great, but Im not stupid enough to not realize that illness or emergency can crop up at any time, so enjoy each day

My Father worked all is life .and retired at the grand ole age of 65 ..and then died 2 years later with Cancer.

That is why i choose to live my life now and dont worry about later...rolleyes.gif

If i live to reach 70 ..then i will owe some one lots of money as i only have enough money to last me until im 65 whistling.gif

I too have only enough money to live well till 65. Was planning on the pension after that, but not looking forward to living in a caravan next to the Dr! With my general state of decrepitude, a massive heart attack the day my cash runs out is the best I can hope for.

I don't know anyone over 70 that I envy, and many that I pity.

The bible gave us 3 score and 10, and I'm pickin that's all the good years we get. Medical science may keep us alive longer, but how many really have quality of life, unless really loaded.

That is what worries me.

I think what you have brought up is a fascinating subject and probably worthy of a thread by itself but it is related to how long you expect to live.

I am of two opinions. My first was to get a house and small business and car in a small town with access to medical facilities all at a reasonable price.

I did that. So I am OK for the rest of my life even if I live to be 100. Since my income depends on me being alive the Thai family has reason to keep me alive enough to wheel me into an embassy on demand to prove my living status. Of course no one in the family speaks English. Hardly anyone in the town speaks English. The English teacher says he speaks English but I doubt that.

Which leads me to my second opinion, finding a woman who is educated, and speaks and writes English to take care of my affairs if I can't. I did that too. So now I have one in country and one in the city. So far it has been easy enough to keep them apart because the lady in the country can't leave the business. Sooner or later though I should probably make a choice. It is a lot to consider. Nobody can get my cash except me and it is disbursed monthly so I am not worried about that and I have been wheeled to an ATM and/or bank by a hospital before.

You are a fortunate man, but only as you have the financial resources.

For the many that do not ( for an infinite number of reasons ) Thailand is only viable till the money runs out, and then it's back to a miserable life living on an ever decreasing social security fund till a thankful escape in death. I've looked after the aged, and would not wish to be one of them, stuck away in an understaffed care home and left to rot.

Already hit the big 65 and having a ball. Nice wife, nice car, nice bike and nice friends, nice bank account. All in All doing Ok. Dad 92, Mum 85 and both in good health.

I am still racing my bike around the track, touch wood no accidents in 10 yrs and plan on a lot more holidays around Thailand.

Nope.

With what I've done to my body and my general disposition? I'd be lucky to make it to 60.

It's all relative. I'm sure good friends and family increase your lifespan, while drinking and loneliness shortens it.

Nope.

With what I've done to my body and my general disposition? I'd be lucky to make it to 60.

It's all relative. I'm sure good friends and family increase your lifespan, while drinking and loneliness shortens it. :burp:

Well there is your answer, get out more and drink with your friends. Don't drink on your own. That's a start. :drunk: