Huai Khwang District

FrancisTenta

Hi,

I know my question sounds weird as Bangkok is probably not the safest city in the world but if we compare Huai Khwang District to other districts, Is it a safe place to live or is it one of the highest criminality in all bangkok districts? I would like your comments before renting a room there :)

Thank you Expats friends!

Its totally safe to live there. Lots of good looking hookers (massage girls) around and plenty of young students living there. I used to live there for a while..

Thank you!

The room I saw is looks very nice, I have a provate balcony and I now know this is a safe place to live so no more worry for me, I sign for it!

It depends a bit in which area you live.

Huay Kwang is huge and some of the apartments on the sois of Pracha Songkhro are pretty rundown and you won't see many other falang.

I plan to move in a room on Soi Ratchadapisek 10 near the emerald and Le concorde. Never been to this place before. What do you think? The room I saw seems pretty clean.

^

Could be ok.

Soi 10 is on the right of Ratchada and the area I refer to is on the left where you have the uneven soi's.

Great Thank you for your advices! Most importantly, I will be close from such a beautiful lady I met last time I went there :)

Bangkok is like any big city its as safe as you make it. Mainly be aware of your surroundings if it doesn't look and feel right get out. I met a American in Feb. he lives in Klong Toie with his wife he said I feel perfectly safe never have had any trouble.

Good luck

Huay Kwang is huge and some of the apartments on the sois of Pracha Songkhro are pretty rundown and you won't see many other falang.

I plan to move in a room on Soi Ratchadapisek 10 near the emerald and Le concorde. Never been to this place before. What do you think? The room I saw seems pretty clean.

My condo is in soi 10 too.

The area is ok man. Soi 10 is a short walk to the MRT and the huay kwang night market.

My condo is in soi 10 too.

The area is ok man. Soi 10 is a short walk to the MRT and the huay kwang night market.

Thank you my expat friend! I feel good and secure now about getting this room. Moving there by August 5th. Want to take a beer? Send me private message.

I think Winchester is one of the safest cities in the world, though I have never been there. If you do not have a Scottish or English accent, I would guess Brechin would be up there.

I have always been frightened to go to Huay Kwang on my own, for fear of coming back with an empty wallet in the daylight.

Others have said that in their opinion, it is a safe place to go, but realistically, if you are reasonably handy and ambitious enough, I am sure you could change that.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Great place and great atmosphere..lived there a few years ago while working in BKK...Links on the MRT good restaurants, close to Tesco etc....never a problem and the people very friendly, just common sense, lock your room etc......after living in both Thong Lor and On Nut, I definatley preferred Huay Kwang..

Great place and great atmosphere..lived there a few years ago while working in BKK...Links on the MRT good restaurants, close to Tesco etc....never a problem and the people very friendly, just common sense, lock your room etc......after living in both Thong Lor and On Nut, I definatley preferred Huay Kwang..

After all those good comments, going to confirm the landowner that I take his room by August 5th! Thank you everyone for all your good comments. Think I am going to enjoy my time there.

^

Could be ok.

Soi 10 is on the right of Ratchada and the area I refer to is on the left where you have the uneven soi's.

Great Thank you for your advices! Most importantly, I will be close from such a beautiful lady I met last time I went there :)

Actually the area I referred to might be Din Daeng. Not really sure where Huay Kwang becomes Din Daeng but there's some pretty rough areas out there.

Anyway enjoy yourself :)

Huai Khwang is a very nice inexpensive place to live. In terms of amenities(movies, malls, grocery, shopping, bowling, restaurants...), you never have to leave the area but also are just a few subway stops to Sukimvet. Not sure where you are looking in terms of an apartment but PM me if you want a recommendation that is priced well, clean, pool, gym and about a 5-minute walk to the subway. Also has a number of expats living in the complex.

i lived there for 2years never had a problem,but if you go about dripping with gold you will soon find some it has a special place in my heart,my wife was born there and lived there 26years,nice people.

I feel a lot more safe in Bangkok than most other big cities around the world. ;)

Actually I am from Drummondville, Quebec (Near Montreal City). hard to find safest cities in the world!!!!!

Trois-Rivieres... Maybe?!?

I know pretty much Trois-Rivieres! I lived more than 20 years in St-Elie-De-Caxton 20 minutes away from there. I also studied at Academie les Estacades (being in their hockey team)!!! Glad to see someone is around where I lived!!!

^

Could be ok.

Actually the area I referred to might be Din Daeng. Not really sure where Huay Kwang becomes Din Daeng but there's some pretty rough areas out there.

Anyway enjoy yourself :)

I'm guessing your Condo is City Home Condo right?

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned by others, Hway Kwang is a nice play to live in. Would probably be better if you had a bike, Ratchada is jammed about 70% of the day. Then again, that's probably true for pretty much anywhere in BKK.

If you're referring to City Home, I'd recommend taking a close look at the building facilities. Moved out 2 years ago; lived there for about 2 years and wasn't impressed with the black/brown-outs and the poor maintenance of the place.

I lived in huay Kwang across from wat kunnathee for five years starting 1996.I had a top floor corner apartment with a fantastic balcony overlooking the wat. Lovely.

we spent hours outdoors just watching life on the soi. It was a great place to be introduced to Thailand.The temple played a very large part in the community life, the market had some excellent food, and the fact that almost nobody in the area spoke english made me learn thai at a rate living on sukhumvit wouldn't.

As others have said, there is a large female population and i would meet some interesting people on the way home as a bonus. There were dogs by the bushel, compliments of the wat.

that said, there was also a criminal element. there were a number of muay thai gyms in the area, but these were places the local thugs would buff up and drink whiskey. on numerous occasions, i would be waylaid by some well meaning but drunken yobs and encouraged to drink whiskey and discuss the finer points of the thai female until i could politely extricate myself.

On two occasions these thugs went at each other resulting in gunshots and stabbings with residual blood on the street for days, but the violence was always contained to their own ranks. It was a time when yaa baa was gaining a very strong foothold with the thai working class, the area is home to a number of taxi drivers and families of similar class.

random incidents of violence increased (random knife waving lunatics after 5 days sleepless etc), especially around the tenement ghettos near the market and towards the din deang area.

I left soon after because i had found an excellent deal on a house on sukhumvit 11, where i still reside.I am sure yaa baa is no where near as prevalent as it was back in those days, and i would move back to the area if i needed to evacuate my current house.

I have very fond memories of soi kunnathee, though i dont miss the commute. Funnily enough i lived at a place called mind mansion, and we were out of our minds for most of the time we lived there.

go for it.

Edited by nocturn