Naming Conventions For Gay Bars ...

Jingthing

Wasn't the EAGLE a chain at one time? This says its not a chain now anyway.

http://www.slate.com/slideshow/arts/is-this-a-gay-bar/#slide_1

Gay bars have always tried to signal their orientation to potential patrons—gay and straight—through their choice of name. This slide show explores some of the most common naming conventions.

Here's a fun exercise ...

What was the name of the FIRST gay bar you ever walked into, and how old were you? Surely you remember!?!

For me it was the (defunct) LOST and FOUND (disco bar) and I was 18.

That name doesn't really fit any of the naming conventions, except maybe the one about SECRETS, a little bit anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

The first gay bar I went in was actually a pub called the Flying Horse on Slab Square in Nottingham. I was 16 and homosexuality was still illegal in the UK. It used to heave with poofs on a Saturday night.

The first gay bar I walked into was the "Tuk Tuk" in Hamburg. I was 18. The bar doesn't exist any more.

I understood the name "Tuk Tuk" to be related to "Tucke", which is a term for gay queen in German. Very much later I thought that the owners might have intended a double-entendre and they had actually been to Thailand.

Mine was Paddy's Goose in Manchester.

I got thrown out for being with the wife.

The bigot behind the bar told me to <deleted> off to one of "your own" pubs.

I thought he meant a Thai bar....

You raise an interesting point.

Why is it that a variety of minorities, expect to be accepted into the ''normal'' community, but if a person from the majority community, happens to wander into the minority community, the person is treated with contempt ??

It seems to be more prevalent in certain communities than others. I should point out, that I have never experienced this in Thailand.

(Many years ago, I had an experience in London, which was quite different from the quoted post above, but the idea was similar)

Edited by jombom

Why is it that a variety of minorities, expect to be accepted into the ''normal'' community, but if a person from the majority community, happens to wander into the monority community, the person is treated with contempt ??

It seems to be more prevalent in certain communities than others. I should point out, that I have never experienced this in Thailand.

(Many years ago, I had an experience in London, which was quite different from the quoted post above, but the idea was similar)

Why is it that a variety of minorities, expect to be accepted into the ''normal'' community, but if a person from the majority community, happens to wander into the minority community, the person is treated with contempt ??

Yeah, I know what you mean. Try walking into a West Hollywood gay bar being over 40 (or even 30) without a gym body. Or a leather bar smelling of fragrances.

BTW, you kind of fouled here suggesting gays/minorities are not normal.

To try to actually answer your question, some gays and some gay bar management may feel straight people are likely to be there to GAWK and view the gay behavior in there as some kind of freak show. So there is a comfort level thing. Before more liberalization in many countries, gay bars, saunas, etc. were the ONLY places gay people had to be comfortable with others of their persuasion. Straights have the ENTIRE rest of the world. Who wants to be a zoo attraction? I think that's the biggest reason, but frankly there is a certain element of gay men that are indeed bigots and indeed hetero-phobic and misogynist. Like all people, we are individuals, yes, and the bad behavior of some of us shouldn't reflect on the entire group now, should it?

Edited by Jingthing

Yup. Warning issued.

Oh, and furthermore, as JT points out, discrimination is not simply on the basis of gay/not gay. All kinds of entertainment zones have rules about what constitutes acceptable 'style.' That's why clubs have cover rules, etc. to establish their atmospheres. In the case of the 'Full Moon Saloon' mentioned above, I was really out of place at the time as a less-than-30-year-old.

The first time an publicly announced openly gay pub opened in my small Midlands home town it was destroyed by members of the 'majority community' by 9.30PM. That's why some minorities are a bit cautious.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Try walking into a West Hollywood gay bar being over 40 (or even 30) without a gym body. Or a leather bar smelling of fragrances.

I've been in a leather bar on Castro and lived to tell the tale :ph34r:

They all thought my English accent was cute.

I've been in a leather bar on Castro and lived to tell the tale :ph34r:

The Castro? You mean the opera queens there? Was talking about "real" leather bars, South of Market. Edited by Jingthing

One good thing about the Flying Horse (and other places where gays used to gather when it was still illegal) was that it was the only place in town and all the gays who had the nerve to actually be seen there went. There was no age discrimination. I used to go with a couple of friends of mine and we were all below legal drinking age (18) but there were all age groups together.

[i've been in a leather bar on Castro and lived to tell the tale :ph34r:

The Castro? You mean the opera queens there? Was talking about "real" leather bars, South of Market.

Oh. You've shattered all my illusions :lol:

When was the lat time you were in West Hollywood? Last year, I was by far not the only one in the 40+ age group in several bars. Met people too, didn't feel like an outcast at all.

Of course, in every town there are places were the under-30 crowd wants to be among them. I guess I didn't even find those places, but the main bars (those that can be easily found searchng the internet) is certainly age-inclusive now.

Yup. Warning issued.

Oh, and furthermore, as JT points out, discrimination is not simply on the basis of gay/not gay. All kinds of entertainment zones have rules about what constitutes acceptable 'style.' That's why clubs have cover rules, etc. to establish their atmospheres. In the case of the 'Full Moon Saloon' mentioned above, I was really out of place at the time as a less-than-30-year-old.

Okay, I stand corrected, and apologise to anyone who took offence.

Putting the word ''normal'' in quote marks, was a poor choice of language on my part.

• 1 month later...

Here's a fun test.

Guess the gay bars.

I got two wrong. Should have know better. Of course some of these places, I've been to, so that's cheating!

http://www.slate.com...your-gaybardar/

Got 'em all except the fireplace.. Only been to G-A-Y but if you're in london there are better choices for those who like asians (kudos)

For anybody in London in the near future. Kudos, near Charing Cross, closed down a few weeks ago. It's now being refurbished, but it seems it will still be a bar. The advertised new name does not give a clue as to whether it will be gay or not. And yes, where are all those lovely Asian boys you could find in there most nights?