Thai Election

bangkokrick

I was talking to my wife about the up and coming General Election here in Thailand and i asked her who she was going to vote for. She replied that she was not going to vote and in fact I know that since we met she has never voted in major elections. i could understand it when we lived in Bangkok and she would have had to return to the NE to register her vote, but now she is registered at our local Amphur so no travelling involved.

I talked to my friends about this and it appears to be quite common, most of their spouses will also not vote. Are your girlfriends/spouses of the same apathetic mind.?

You should encourage her to vote

Of course there are still many people that don't bother, but things are improving I believe.

Voters turn out in the last election was close to 75 per cent. This time could be high too, but the mess in last Sundays advance voting may bring the numbers down , as many that wanted to could not vote

Why don't you teach her the importance of voting. Its a social responsibility of a democratic country (albiet in a developing stage) that people in Laos, and Vietnam don't share (and Cambodia and Burma if you consider their "voting" to be prearranged joke it is). If you don't, who will?

Edited by SomTumTiger

My wife will be voting...

I always wonder about the issue of vote buying... as it never made any sense to me.

Voting is confidential, so what is to stop anyone from just taking what ever money offered and voting how ever you want? I would guess you can really only buy votes from people are already willing to vote for you anyway.... otherwise you are just giving away free money to folks who give you a smile, take your money and then vote for the other party...

My wife will be voting...

I always wonder about the issue of vote buying... as it never made any sense to me.

Voting is confidential, so what is to stop anyone from just taking what ever money offered and voting how ever you want? I would guess you can really only buy votes from people are already willing to vote for you anyway.... otherwise you are just giving away free money to folks who give you a smile, take your money and then vote for the other party...

The question is whether it is confidential or not here in Thailand, i have my doubts.

The question is whether it is confidential or not here in Thailand, i have my doubts.

In the "red villages" they will found out is someone voted not red.

Must have been the falang wife or the doctor or the rich guy.

Edited by PoorSucker

There are ways people can trace votes - and this happens not just in any particular village of whatever colour

There are also ways that canvassers manage to pre mark ballot papers and have it dropped into the box (only takes stealing one unmarked ballot that can then be marked, given to next voter who in turn bring out the unmarked one they are given by official - and so it goes)

Those that want to, will find a way to cheat

There's also the question of where votes are counted. If they gave certain amount of vote buying money and end of the day not so many votes received from one particular village - doesn't take a lot to intimidate......

Why don't you teach her the importance of voting. Its a social responsibility of a democratic country (albiet in a developing stage) that people in Laos, and Vietnam don't share (and Cambodia and Burma if you consider their "voting" to be prearranged joke it is). If you don't, who will?

Vote for what more corruption??? It doesnt matter who is the party in government they are all sleaze.. Why waste your time voting on false promises..

I've voted in a couple of Thai elections. And I've voted in Australian and UK elections.

The process is similar everywhere you go.

A polling booth is a polling booth. You get as much privacy as you want/need, so that it is pretty darn hard for someone to tamper with your vote, let alone see who you voted for.

Equally, if you really don't care about your democratic right (ie you accept $$$ for your vote) then you are going to pretty much vote for whoever gave you the cash. If they demand proof, there are ways to show them (eg mobile phone pic).

My Wife is in the UK She wanted to vote but was unable to do so. What about all the thia people not in Thailand ? I would like to know if anyone has managed a postal vote.

if thay did how do you go about it.

Took the GF to vote Sunday in Rayong. The place was mobbed, heavy traffic, everyone voting. The mall was also busy afterwards. A little bit of a carnival atmosphere. I think I read someplace that 80,000 voted.

Vote for what more corruption??? It doesnt matter who is the party in government they are all sleaze.. Why waste your time voting on false promises..

Vote for Chuwit - he hasn't promised anything except to stand in Parliament and call them all liars - whats not to like??!!!!!! :lol:

Vote for Chuwit - he hasn't promised anything except to stand in Parliament and call them all liars - whats not to like??!!!!!! :lol:

Then take the money the next day.... Its all about making money for these ppl

Its a fallacy that Thais must travel to their home district to vote, that is what advance voting is for.

A few years ago at the last elections one of our staff was from Ratchaburi, I asked her why she could vote on Koh Phangan but all the Isaan people had to go home to vote and she said, "Because the guy who runs for Parliament in my district isn't paying anyone to go home."

As for your wife not voting, yes I can understand her feeling but if everyone who wanted an honest govt stood up and voted honestly and for an honest candidate (there are a few around) then imagine the changes that could happen. Votes do count.

My Wife is in the UK She wanted to vote but was unable to do so. What about all the thia people not in Thailand ? I would like to know if anyone has managed a postal vote.

if thay did how do you go about it.

Not sure why your wife could not vote.. all Thai's abroad can vote BUT you have to contact the Embassy for advance voting (to late now)

In the "red villages" they will found out is someone voted not red.

Must have been the falang wife or the doctor or the rich guy.

We live in ''rëd" village and my Mrs always votes Democrat.

Last election I went down the temple to watch the count, most of the village men were there having a drink and waiting for the result, which was about 70% pro Taksin parties, 30% Dems.

Can't remember anyone getting hung from the bell tower and I specifically took my camera just in case.

Do you vote, or believe in voting? Does your country not have voting? How many countries have civil unrest and uprising just for the right to vote? I think your opinion is wrong. We have the right to vote, and should exercise that right, because it is a privilege I will vote this Sunday. I am not sure which way I will vote, but I am happy that I have the opportunity to make my choice.

Yes, those of use from democratic countries have the right to vote but it's not obligatory. Quite a lot of pompous nonsense on this thread - encourage her to vote? Teach her the importance of voting? Why the assumption that she has the brainpower of a retarded child? I agree with the late George Carlin on this point. I don't vote for politicians because it only encourages them. It's my right in a democracy not to vote for anyone, the OP should leave his wife to make her own decisions. Unless democracy means forcing your own opinions on other people (which in a way it does).

Edited by inthepink

Yes, those of use from democratic countries have the right to vote but it's not obligatory. Quite a lot of pompous nonsense on this thread - encourage her to vote? Teach her the importance of voting? Why the assumption that she has the brainpower of a retarded child? I agree with the late George Carlin on this point. I don't vote for politicians because it only encourages them. It's my right in a democracy not to vote for anyone, the OP should leave his wife to make her own decisions. Unless democracy means forcing your own opinions on other people (which in a way it does).

Well, it is compulsory to vote in Thailand, though the penalties for not voting are rather week.

Similar to Australia, and Belgium I believe.

Of course there are still many people that don't bother, but things are improving I believe.

Voters turn out in the last election was close to 75 per cent. This time could be high too, but the mess in last Sundays advance voting may bring the numbers down , as many that wanted to could not vote

post-57639-0-03799700-1309441803_thumb.j

Well, it is compulsory to vote in Thailand, though the penalties for not voting are rather week.

Yes, I know that here it is officially compulsory (sorry my post was not clear on that point) but as you say, the penalties are rather weak - and I don't think anybody should feel morally obliged to vote. I remember that my gf could not vote in one of the recent elections but whatever the penalty was it didn't affect her. If I was a citizen of a country that told me I had to vote and also that I wasn't allowed to drink the night before or on the day of the election, I think I would abstain on principle. Not that I need to imbibe alcohol on a daily basis but it seems a little dictatorial. However, I don't think Thailand is alone in this regard so it's not a criticism of this country in particular, just a dislike of policies that infringe on freedom of choice.

Do you vote, or believe in voting? Does your country not have voting? How many countries have civil unrest and uprising just for the right to vote? I think your opinion is wrong. We have the right to vote, and should exercise that right, because it is a privilege I will vote this Sunday. I am not sure which way I will vote, but I am happy that I have the opportunity to make my choice.

There's a big difference between having the right to vote without outside influence as in my country,

and selling your right to vote to the highest bidder.

Good answer!

I asked my wife:

Will you vote? "Of course"

Will you be paid to vote for one way or another? "Probably"

Will you vote for something or someone because you were paid? "Never"

My wife and I live in the "Red-shirt" region of Thailand, but her mind is her own.

mario299 B)

Better teach the Yanks as well.

in each presidential election over the last 20 years, turnout has been under 50%.

Scion of democracy indeed...!

Yes voting is compulsory in Thailand

Yes penalties for not voting are not severe and mostly don't affect a lot of people (can't stand for any political office, can't sign petitions or impeachments)

But if each Thai person sits back and doesn't vote the person and party of their own choice , then what are we left with?

Essentially a government that is forced upon us based on the choice of other people. I may be a small voice, but at least it will be my choice. And if they do a bad job of fulfilling their promises, then I'll hope the next election comes soon enough so I can vote them out!

Those who have been in Thailand for some years may notice that in this election probably for the first time in Thai history, the campaigns are on party platforms and policies. Whereas in the past it was purely personalities based. Sure individuals / personalities will still play a major role in who people vote for. But the policy campaigns is a change, a development. It means politicians can be held accountable when one does a monitor of their campaign promises against the delivery once they are in parliament.

Democracy is a process. There's no quick fix. I can't say there is one party I am currently 100% happy with, but I'd rather choose something I'm 20% happy with, than have no say in it at all and left with a party I'm only 12% happy with

(numbers completely random) :)

I have tries to encourage her to vote but to no avail. I guess it's down to the individual in the end and that is what democracy is all about. I will keep trying.

There's a big difference between having the right to vote without outside influence as in my country,

and selling your right to vote to the highest bidder.

Who said anything about selling my vote? No one is obligated to take money at the voting areas. Those who do, obviously do it for their own reasons. For me, I vote without influence of money, as I did for many elections in the U.S. And as for influence, what election is free of outside influence? Do they not have election campaigns, promises of great deeds, smear campaigns against opponents? They certainly do in the US. Those are influential, or they wouldn't do it.

My point is, if you have the right to vote, which probably most on this site don't here in Thailand, then exercise your right to choose. And if you are undecided, there is a way to vote without endorsing a candidate to show your displeasure at the current candidates, whatever good that may do.

Does anyone know what the exact penalties for not voting are? I've heard it is two things:

1. Can't run for political office (wow, big loss there...)

2. Can't be hired for a government job or work for the government.

This I've heard from the wife, who also doesn't vote. Says she is turned off by all the BS in Thai politics and politicians; I don't blame her one bit. I feel the same way about my country.

I also believe you lose your right to vote for 5 years, but it may be only for the important elections, not the local ones. Not quite sure.