Bad Service From Hitachi Thailand

wernerfreitag

I liked Hitachi household devices so far.

A few month ago we bought a Hitachi refrigerator at HomePro Chiangmai. The machine was rather big including an ice and cold water maker. The price included transportation to ChiangDao, 70km from CNX.

10 days ago the ice maker was not working anymore. We called the service number and they promised help within 2-3 days. After 10 days(!) the service center from Chiangmai called me and explained in English(!), that we are too far away and sending a service man was just too expensive. We should bring the fridge to Chiangmai.

This explains what a Hitachi warranty is worth . Nothing, at least if your are not residing in a big city.

Wish you all "cool" days without Hitachi.

Werner

Hitachi stuff all looks a bit weird for me...like their tools, all green color.

The only person i can imagine using a green chainsaw is a Japanese guy in a lab coat.

Here at home I have a few Hitachi tools, 3 cordless drills, Circular saw, Sander, Jigsaw, Angle grinder, they all get a reasonable work out and have performed flawlessly, have had a battery charger die on one of the drill, Hitachi replaced it without question.

Edited by Spoonman

Here at home I have a few Hitachi tools, 3 cordless drills, Circular saw, Sander, Jigsaw, Angle grinder, they all get a reasonable work out and have performed flawlessly, have had a battery charger die on one of the drill, Hitachi replaced it without question.

Yeah i'm sure they work fine; I almost bought a jigsaw of theirs the other day, but i just really can't stand that green. Went with a black & decker instead.

They seem willing to honor the warranty, but I doubt if it includes transportation to the store. :blink:

Seems like me that with stuff like that they just send out a technician to the location. No need for it to be returned to the shop.

If it's the same one as mine, one with a water tank in the fridge section that feeds into the freezer, you may need to just de-ice it. The ice shute/crusher jammed up after a while and I tried to get the bucket part out of the freezer where the ice goes down the shute. Had to take all the ice out and then use the wifes hair dryer around the seam to melt the ice a bit in the crusher part.

Then you can pull the metal handle in the bucket up and it should come apart from the door. plenty of ice jammed up in the gears and just needed to wait for it to melt. Might fix your problem with the fridge at least?

I have an ice maker only version and there is a switch on side of ref wall where you place water container that can turn it off (by mistake) when inserting the water container. Been there/done that. Expect you may have checked already but if not be sure it is set right.

You should call them back, and insist on them fixing it. Be harsh. Tell them you will call the parent company, and tell them how you can't get the service center in Thailand (where you unforunately bought it) to honor the warranty. Let us know what happens after they stop laughing.

They seem willing to honor the warranty, but I doubt if it includes transportation to the store. :blink:

Seems like me that with stuff like that they just send out a technician to the location. No need for it to be returned to the shop.

They refused to send a technician.Said it is to expensive. No need for transportation of a big frigde normally, repair it on the spot.

If it's the same one as mine, one with a water tank in the fridge section that feeds into the freezer, you may need to just de-ice it. The ice shute/crusher jammed up after a while and I tried to get the bucket part out of the freezer where the ice goes down the shute. Had to take all the ice out and then use the wifes hair dryer around the seam to melt the ice a bit in the crusher part.

Then you can pull the metal handle in the bucket up and it should come apart from the door. plenty of ice jammed up in the gears and just needed to wait for it to melt. Might fix your problem with the fridge at least?

Good advice!

Bucket part could no be removed anymore, but did it finally your way.

Hitachi's way of warranty was worth mentioning in this forum anyway.

You should call them back, and insist on them fixing it. Be harsh. Tell them you will call the parent company, and tell them how you can't get the service center in Thailand (where you unforunately bought it) to honor the warranty. Let us know what happens after they stop laughing.

I copied my Thaivisa post and sent it to Hitachi in Bangkok. Next day they offered help by sending a technician. Problems seems to be their "service" center in Chiangmai.

If such things happen to me I will not consider this company for buyings anymore unless I have to.

Actually I would consider them a good bet for service in the future. They took care of the downstream problem as soon as made aware of it. They are not the only company with such issues; especially when remote from central office. When you say next day suspect you did not mail but sent by email? If so am even more impressed; as normal email response is zilch here.

FrustratingI know 'wernerfeitag' but, I feel you're firing off at the wrong company. I don't pretend to be an authority on retail, but I think you'll find in general, the manufacturer,(in this case, Hitachi) sell their goods to the retailer with a parts replacement warranty only, the retailer, as part of the deal to be a distributer has to wear the cost of labor and any additional costs involved inany repair.

I know this is not always the deal, there are many variation deals between manufacture and retailer, this is just one and it would explain the retailer's reluctance to pick-up the fridge. Even if the retailer says it's has manufactures warranty,the dear above is the norm.

I feel the problem of claiming warranty in Thailand is exacerbated by the Thai attitude ofdoing business, Thai sale will tell you anything to get a sale, then once they have your money………They don't care, not there problem.

Personally, I don't think you're going to win this, I would just ask how much for return trip to repair, I would advise against 'gobbing' off at them, (however tempting) You're the one wanting it fixed……….. just have to suck it up! Good luck.

Edited by Tonto21

I copied my Thaivisa post and sent it to Hitachi in Bangkok. Next day they offered help by sending a technician. Problems seems to be their "service" center in Chiangmai.

If such things happen to me I will not consider this company for buyings anymore unless I have to.

Surprise, surprise. Good for you.

Good advice!

Bucket part could no be removed anymore, but did it finally your way.

Hitachi's way of warranty was worth mentioning in this forum anyway.

No worries mate, took me a while to figure it out. I could feel the ice in the gears but could not pull it apart and was trying to melt it through the metal bit at the bottom of the bucket. Heard some cracking around the seam and hit that with the hair dryer then gave it another go and it came apart. You'd have seen the same as I did then with all the ice up in the gears.

It'll happen again but at least you know the fix now, I know that does not fix the service part of your problem but at least you have ice again :)