Visas For Family

my brother and his wife and 2 kids are thinking to move to thailand for a year or so. Hes 33 and a professional golfer, self employed, his wife is 31, unemployed and the 2 kids are 3 and 1 years old. They currently live in aus. I live here with my thai wife and they have both been here and know what to expect etc. can anybody tell me what visas they could apply for to be able to live here for 1 year?

thanks for the help

No visa would allow a one year stay and they do not appear to qualify for any extension of stay to remain in Thailand from the information you provided. There are tourist visas and education visas/extensions that are sometimes used for more that a few months.

ahh well that sucks, how long can you stay on a tourist visa? if just enter here i thought it was 30 days and could extend for 15 days at immi? if apply overseas they give you 2 months is it? and can extend when here? cheers

A Visa exempt entry gives 30 days by air and 15 days by land.

You may be able extend by 7 days to leave the country.

A Tourist Visa gives 60 days and can be extended by 30 days at Immigration.

You should be able to get a double entry which would give a total of almost 6 months.

You might be able to get a triple entry which would give almost 9 months.

A Visa exempt entry gives 30 days by air and 15 days by land.

You may be able extend by 7 days to leave the country.

A Tourist Visa gives 60 days and can be extended by 30 days at Immigration.

You should be able to get a double entry which would give a total of almost 6 months.

You might be able to get a triple entry which would give almost 9 months.

hey, how does the double entry give you almost 6 months, i thought it just allowed you to enter twice within the 60 days or 90 days if get the 30 day extension? cheers

Enter 60+30 exit/return 60+30 = almost six months.

The validity for entry from issue is either 3 or 6 months.

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay. Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.

so if got the double entry and it was valid for 6 months +, would still have to leave the country before 90 days and re-enter again, so its basically the same as getting another 60 day tourist visa without having to go and get the visa am i right?

so if got the double entry and it was valid for 6 months +, would still have to leave the country before 90 days and re-enter again, so its basically the same as getting another 60 day tourist visa without having to go and get the visa am i right?

Correct.

Correct.

cheers, got it! guess the wife and kids could do that and brother would be out of the country often enough traveling that his visa wouldnt mater too much, however he would also want to play on the thai tour a bit so that could bring work permit issues into play also.

cheers, got it! guess the wife and kids could do that and brother would be out of the country often enough traveling that his visa wouldnt mater too much, however he would also want to play on the thai tour a bit so that could bring work permit issues into play also.

There is a Temporary work permit for 15 days for this.