What You Can't Do This Weekend; Thai Election

webfact

What you can't do this weekend

By The Nation

Election authorities and police yesterday laid down the law for the big day, including a ban on vote-buying or accepting money or other benefits in exchange for votes.

Selling booze and gambling on election results are also disallowed.

People involved in the election campaign, the public, mass media, eligible voters, and businesses were reminded to be aware of and heed the prohibitions in the election law.

Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri, National Police spokesman, said yesterday that the ban on the sale and distribution of alcoholic drinks started from 6pm on the eve of election day and ended at midnight of the polling day on Sunday.

The aim is to prevent election candidates and their canvassers wooing votes by giving away free drinks or throwing parties.

The law prohibits advertising and campaigning, as well as the attacking of rivals, from 6pm tomorrow to Sunday.

This year the Election Commission will look at the social-network accounts - mainly Facebook and Twitter - of political parties and election candidates to make sure that they do not violate this rule.

EC inspector-general Chonrat Jitnaitham said the ban was aimed at preventing candidates from trying to influence voters, so any "violation" made after the closing of polling stations would likely be disregarded because it would not sway votes.

Voters are warned against wearing shirts showing any candidacy number into polling stations, including jerseys of their favourite soccer team that carry the number of their favourite player.

The law also proscribes attempting to prevent eligible voters from going to the polls, arranging free transport for voters, tearing ballots, taking photos of marked ballots and releasing the result of any opinion survey seven days before election day until closing time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-01

My 3 year old has a red t shirt with 'Number 1 Rabbitohs fan' on the back...... needless to say he wont be wearing that for a while!

I was wondering why all the motorbike taxis were slowing down giving the thumbs up as he walked along ThongLor the other day.....

EC inspector-general Chonrat Jitnaitham said the ban was aimed at preventing candidates from trying to influence voters, so any "violation" made after the closing of polling stations would likely be disregarded because it would not sway votes.

Voters are warned against wearing shirts showing any candidacy number into polling stations, including jerseys of their favourite soccer team that carry the number of their favourite player.

The law also proscribes attempting to prevent eligible voters from going to the polls, arranging free transport for voters, tearing ballots, taking photos of marked ballots and releasing the result of any opinion survey seven days before election day until closing time.

This must be satire or is it April all over again?

"The law prohibits advertising and campaigning, as well as the attacking of rivals, from 6pm tomorrow to Sunday." So does that mean all the placards, a form of advertising, placed on every tree and electric pole in the city will be taken down by 6pm Saturday? :cheesy: And just what kind of attacking of rivals is permissible ahead of time? Time is running short for the

hired guns. :blink:

Does this exclude red-shirts with an image of k. Thaksin who isn't participating in this election (officially at least) ? What about a yellow-shirt with a monkey holding a banana?

Anyway it seems lots of offices are closed today probably allowing people to go to their constituency. Monday may be one big traffic jam, but at least then we're allowed to show emotions again :lol:

Actually most rules in place have been twisted in a way that they might look to prevent fraud, but are designed to allow fraud. Not publishing / holding Polls means that even 20 or 30% difference can be explained. Not using social media is good too people are not able to reach all information available and not allowing free transport is good for rich voters. Their drivers do arrange the transportation. But what about voters who can not walk or have no transportation, they are really at a disadvantage and for the vote buying? Well ten parties give 200 baht each and the voter will make up his own mind in the booth, but what if you are promised a border war for a swatch of land in exchange for your vote?

Election authorities and police yesterday laid down the law for the big day, including a ban on vote-buying or accepting money or other benefits in exchange for votes.

I guess that under the rules / law I must absolutely and clearly state that this is only a hypothetical story :-

Thai wife receives 200 Baht to vote for No. I

Son receives 300 Baht to vote for No. 2

Second son receives 300 Baht for his vote for No. 2

In all cases, to prevent "Double Dipping", they surrender their ID card which will be returned after the election. [Thus can only collect from one candidate which is an improvement (?) over previous elections when it was "fair game" to collect from all candidates.

It must be a hypothetical story for T.I.T. where no votes are bought

Edited by PEP

Be fair. The same types of regulations are applied elsewhere. I support these rules because it is intended to cool the rhetoric and calm things down. I hope you folks can appreciate that aspect of the intent.

BE FAIR, try telling the Thais that, do you honestly think that Thais will not drink because they are told they can't ??

Secondly all the money for vote buying has already been allocated. Normally to the village ( treasurer ) who then give it out to the voters, on condition that they DO vote for the person who DONATED the dosh.

So thats why no one will be done for violating the polling rules, Drink bought already--money given already.

I do realise the intent of the rules and what you mean--but reality here is another matter.

<br />Chin up lads. You are still allowed to fornicate. So  take a shower, borrow your dad's after shave and go on out and cruise for some birds.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Excellent train of thought! I'm goin with this guy lol

Be fair. The same types of regulations are applied elsewhere. I support these rules because it is intended to cool the rhetoric and calm things down. I hope you folks can appreciate that aspect of the intent.

I have not seen a booze free weekend any other country.

And where on earth but Thailand is this rule in effect.

Voters are warned against wearing shirts showing any candidacy number into polling stations,

including jerseys of their favourite soccer team that carry the number of their favourite player.

The booze part was to prevent people throwing a big vote for my candidate bash,

get people drunk all night, truck them to the polling place

with the candidates number stamped on their hand

and told to vote while hammered.

Which HAS happened many times before.

No footie favs T shirts with numbers???

Guess I'll just have to wear a

Beethoven's

10 th symphony t-shirt

Opus pocus voternosis!

Go forth and sin,

as long as you don't hold up cards rating sexual performance in a 1-21 scale... might influence the election.

Edited by animatic

Does this exclude red-shirts with an image of k. Thaksin who isn't participating in this election (officially at least) ? What about a yellow-shirt with a monkey holding a banana?

Anyway it seems lots of offices are closed today probably allowing people to go to their constituency. Monday may be one big traffic jam, but at least then we're allowed to show emotions again :lol:

By Sunday night, there will be plans in place to blockade all the major roads back to Bangkok if it is required. Do they really want hoards of pissed off Reds coming back to Bangkok if they don't win?

"The law prohibits advertising and campaigning,"

wow, that could have saved the poor thais billions if it was prohibited all the way if you see every 2-3 meter the same billboard over and over again on every major road

why hasn't anyone mentioned the most important omission of this article -

when exactly is alcohol sales banned? i gotta stock up!

Whoa -- hang on -- don't panic !!!

It's in the OP , " Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri, National Police spokesman, said yesterday that the ban on the sale and distribution of alcoholic drinks started from 6pm on the eve of election day and ended at midnight of the polling day on Sunday. "

Lots of time to stock up.

Chin up lads. You are still allowed to fornicate. So take a shower, borrow your dad's after shave and go on out and cruise for some birds.

God,I`m lucky to live where I do. Politics is generally kept personal and private and the local rozzers couldn`t care less where or when I buy or consume alcoholic drinks.

I trust you are well, Geriatric....

Bit of a misunderstanding and its mostly my fault. I was refering to the campaigning. However, I do wish to bring to your attention that in the USA some states forbid alcohol on election day.

I believe that Kentucky and South Carolina. Alaska and Massachusetts ban Election Day alcohol sales. In Alaska and Massachusetts, local governments are authorized to provide an exemption from the ban. Indiana, Utah, Delaware and Indiana only recently repealed the ban.

Countries such as Mexico, Turkey, the Solomon Islands, Peru, some states in Brazil, Bulgaria, and some of the Carribean nations have had recent alcohol sales bans on election day. The world's largest democracy, India also has an alcohol ban that ranges from 2-3 days.

Not to mention some Islamic countries. :whistling:

Thailand isn't alone on the issue, so let's not make it into a unique idiocy thing.(Unique to LOS that is. edited that in because my writing can read as rude sometimes.)

Edited by geriatrickid

By Sunday night, there will be plans in place to blockade all the major roads back to Bangkok if it is required. Do they really want hoards of pissed off Reds coming back to Bangkok if they don't win?

Good point.

If they don't win a majority 50%+ they might think it's fixed.

if the don't beat the Dems period they will think it is fixed and go for blood.

Forget the fact this would mean many of their neighbors put up red flags to be left in peace, but voted as they saw fit, the reds will figure it wasn't so anyway and go ballistic.\

The big worry is if PTP wins 1/2% more than dems but can't form a coalition... it WILL hit the fan then, so 2 weeks more total stress fractures of the brains till it's determined.

Edited by animatic

Bit of a misunderstanding and its mostly my fault. I was refering to the campaigning. However, I do wish to bring to your attention that in the USA some states forbid alcohol on election day.

I believe that Kentucky and South Carolina. Alaska and Massachusetts ban Election Day alcohol sales. In Alaska and Massachusetts, local governments are authorized to provide an exemption from the ban. Indiana, Utah, Delaware and Indiana only recently repealed the ban.

Countries such as Mexico, Turkey, the Solomon Islands, Peru, some states in Brazil, Bulgaria, and some of the Carribean nations have had recent alcohol sales bans on election day. The world's largest democracy, India also has an alcohol ban that ranges from 2-3 days.

Not to mention some Islamic countries. :whistling:

Thailand isn't alone on the issue, so let's not make it into a unique idiocy thing.(Unique to LOS that is. edited that in because my writing can read as rude sometimes.)

And in oz, we have a right piss-up while we watch the results come in!

Not to worry. once the polls close, you'll be able to crack open the Champagne and celebrate a PTP victory. cheesy.gif

I suggest that some TVFers stock up on booze as they may need it to cope. violin.gif

Not to worry. once the polls close, you'll be able to crack open the Champagne and celebrate a PTP victory. cheesy.gif

I suggest that some TVFers stock up on booze as they may need it to cope. violin.gif

Suppose with PTP promises they must be piss#d, so we all should do as in Rome. Don't wash your red shirt too many times, it will turn pink, dear!!:lol::lol: