Electric Bill Problem

AndyPooots

I have lived in this same building in a studio room for about 8 months, I have always used the air-con as much as i like and also cook etc..

now since i moved in every month my bill has been between 1400-1600B mostly aorun 1500ish.

Last month the bill came in at 2400, so i was abuit pissed off I paid the bill and for the last month have gone out of my way to use less electric, I have used at least 50% less air con, and have had the doors opens etc to keep cool.

Now this months bill comes in at 3600???

The bill comes direct from the government, they said they will send someone out on the 5th to check the meter.

In the mean time the building manager checked the meter and said he thinks its ok.

Any ideas or experiences like this? what are my options pay the bill and move out?

thanks

Look at your older bills and see if the charges are correct, i.e. end reading of previous month matches start reading of next month.

If the bills look, ok. Check out your wires, some neighbor could very well hooked up to your lines after the meter.

Switch of the main in your place for a few hours when you go out and take a reading of your meter.

Check the reading when you come home again, before switching on the power.

If it's not identical, you know you're paying for someone else's electric as well as yours.

Could always get a sparky to put a meter at your switch box to compare the two, meters are pretty cheap, if the PEA say theres nothing wrong with your meter then this may be a good option.

Look at your older bills and see if the charges are correct, i.e. end reading of previous month matches start reading of next month.

If the bills look, ok. Check out your wires, some neighbor could very well hooked up to your lines after the meter.

Switch of the main in your place for a few hours when you go out and take a reading of your meter.

If it's not identical, you know you're paying for someone else's electric as well as yours.

I will try this!

I've just thought of something, Last month a company came out to service the air-con, since then it hasn't worked as well as it was before the service.

Is there any chance that they may of messed something up and the air con is now burning way to many units?

Maybe i am just clutching at straws!

I've just thought of something, Last month a company came out to service the air-con, since then it hasn't worked as well as it was before the service.

Is there any chance that they may of messed something up and the air con is now burning way to many units?

A faulty Air Conditioner could very well cause the increase. I had one Air Conditioner compressor become defective and it caused my electric bill to increase by 3000 baht in one month!

The technician replaced the compressor for 6000 baht and now my electric bill is back to normal and the room is much cooler now.

Worthwhile to have someone check it out.

Edited by BB1950

I will try this!

Make sure you don't have anything in the freezer / 'fridge that could spoil.

Wouldn't want to come home to warm beer would you??

Naah,not in Thailand with all those experienced workers.

If a repairman overcharged or undercharged the freon that is the problem. Same problem repairman released freon when checking and found air to keep running always and still hot.

This could be very possible.. My bills for my electric where 3500 ish i couldnt believe it after 2 years they av only been 2000baht.. I changed the old aircon in bedroom and guess what.. The bill was 2100

I will try this!

Make sure you don't have anything in the freezer / 'fridge that could spoil.

Wouldn't want to come home to warm beer would you??

Ridiculous comment, a couple of hours without electric will not kill any produce.

A fridge is very well insulated, even the cheap ones….

i manage 5 different meters for homes and have noticed a serious, 25% increase in volume use in the last 3 months. everyone i talk to seems to have the same opinion, but the meter readings are correct. must be the weather

i manage 5 different meters for homes and have noticed a serious, 25% increase in volume use in the last 3 months. everyone i talk to seems to have the same opinion, but the meter readings are correct. must be the weather

What you say is correct,my last bills are also about 25% higher than usual,and I live in a house.I haven't checked if the Kwh price has gonne up though.

What you say is correct,my last bills are also about 25% higher than usual,and I live in a house.I haven't checked if the Kwh price has gonne up though.

I thought I saw something somewhere ... maybe on TV or in the newspaper ... about rates going up.

Ah yes here it is: Rates to increase ?

It's also possible that some "readings" were just estimates. If the estimates were lower than actual usage, when someone eventually gets around to really reading the meter you could see a jump in charges.

Edited by Suradit