Electric Rates Hike In Thailand Likely In May

webfact

Electricity Bill Hike Likely in May

The Electricity Generating Authority says a price increase for electricity is likely, in light of surging oil prices.

The hike could come as early as May.

Governor of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand or EGAT, Sutat Patamasiriwat, said the fuel tariff or Ft charge on electricity bills is likely to increase in May, due to a recent rise in global oil prices influenced by protests in Egypt.

However, he said the imminent hike is subject to a review of the Energy Policy and Planning Office.

The price of crude oil currently stands at 90 U.S. dollars per barrel.

Sutat noted that the hike would be unnecessary if oil prices were between 70 and 80 dollars.

EGAT has estimated that the country's electricity consumption will rise 4.15 percent compared to last year, with usage expected to peak at 25,300 megawatts between March and June.

The governor further stated that the agency plans to use fuel oil in place of natural gas for power generation, since many natural gas plants will undergo maintenance in the first half of the year, which could result in a decline in the electricity output.

He added that some natural-gas power plants, such as the Jana plant and the Sinbhuhom plant, will continue to operate, as gas suppliers will start maintenance work in the latter half of the year.

In addition, Sutat said additional electricity outputs will be supplied from the Nam Ngum hydroelectric power plant in Laos and the Gecko-One coal power plant in Rayong province.

The two plants are able to generate a combined 1,200 megawatts of electricity.

He assured that at the current electricity generation capacity, there will be enough supply for national consumption.

Meanwhile, EGAT has yet to finalize measures in relation to the government's free electricity scheme for households using less than 90 units of electricity per month.

Sutat said the government must explain to industrial consumers if it decides they will pay higher electricity bills to cover the outstanding costs in association with the scheme.

However, he reaffirmed his support for the scheme, which aims to help reduce the financial burden on individual consumers.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-03

footer_n.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall prices dropping when oil prices dropped from their highs a couple of years or so ago...

Correct the paradigm just shifts and they try and make more money out of the consumer, even if the price of oil were to fall to $20 per barrel they will not reduce to price to reflect that of the fall in oil prices.

Electricity prices in Thailand are high as is, besides greed i do not see a reason for price increase.

I mean just look at all the wiring on the streets, i think we can all agree that the work is done not by best trained or even skilled workers.

Electricity prices in Thailand are high as is, besides greed i do not see a reason for price increase.

I mean just look at all the wiring on the streets, i think we can all agree that the work is done not by best trained or even skilled workers.

90% of the wiring you see on the streets is for telephone lines.

90% of the wiring you see on the streets is for telephone lines.

No wonder we don't need 3G. :rolleyes:

What is your basis for saying they are high? Compared to what? Other countries? The cost of generation? Cost of transmission? Or are they just high? :rolleyes:

Your second statement is truly startling. What would the "wiring on the streets" have to do with the price?

Might interest you to know that Thailand electricity cost is about middle of the road for a non-subsidizing country. At about 11 US cents per K/hr it is about on par with the US and almost half of what it cost in the UK

TH

What is your basis for saying they are high? Compared to what? Other countries? The cost of generation? Cost of transmission? Or are they just high? :rolleyes:

Your second statement is truly startling. What would the "wiring on the streets" have to do with the price?

Might interest you to know that Thailand electricity cost is about middle of the road for a non-subsidizing country. At about 11 US cents per K/hr it is about on par with the US and almost half of what it cost in the UK

TH

There has to always be one in the crowd.

Compared to US, Compared to Australia and even compared to UK.

For starters lets talk about wiring on the streets. A large portion of company's money is wages and for skilled labor. do you call this wiring skilled? and how much do they get paid? what equipment do they use? ladders made out of bamboo sticks.

Company's in the west have skilled electricians, safety regulations, cars, equipment etc etc etc etc, in Thailand they have none of the mentioned(or none that i have seen used) also wages are not even 5th of the Western wages.

So please explain to me how to justify even the current cost of electricity when company pays much much less wages, uses hardly any machinery, does not have any safety regulations(and if it does, it is hardly ever enforced), there is no super for employees, no work cover yet the rates are the same or slightly less then in the Western world.

Also please explain to me how you think rates are good when the salary of a low income earner is 5000-6000 baht per month, compared to 25000-30 000 in the West, so do you still think prices in Thailand are ok and affordable? keep in mind electricity is a necessity not a luxury

TH

For starters lets talk about wiring on the streets. A large portion of company's money is wages and for skilled labor. do you call this wiring skilled? and how much do they get paid? what equipment do they use? ladders made out of bamboo sticks.

Company's in the west have skilled electricians, safety regulations, cars, equipment etc etc etc etc, in Thailand they have none of the mentioned(or none that i have seen used) also wages are not even 5th of the Western wages.

So please explain to me how to justify even the current cost of electricity when company pays much much less wages, uses hardly any machinery, does not have any safety regulations(and if it does, it is hardly ever enforced), there is no super for employees, no work cover yet the rates are the same or slightly less then in the Western world.

Also please explain to me how you think rates are good when the salary of a low income earner is 5000-6000 baht per month, compared to 25000-30 000 in the West, so do you still think prices in Thailand are ok and affordable? keep in mind electricity is a necessity not a luxury

Kuffki: you answered your own question. More buildings, housing, offices = more wires of poor quality = more labour to fix it = more costs: simple really. :lol:

TH

Kuffki: you answered your own question. More buildings, housing, offices = more wires of poor quality = more labour to fix it = more costs: simple really. :lol:

Firstly i never said more buildlings or more housing. Yes you are right about more labor to fix it, but considering all those employees are on monthly wages it does not make any difference if they work 3 hours per day or 12 hours per day-monthly wages remain the same. you forget in Thailand there is hardly any laws dor overtime.

It is simple-electricity company makes a bundle and now wants to make even more.There is no way to justify it or explain ut but greed.

TH

in Thailand i pay 5 bath /unit , in my country i pay at least 3 x more .... so why complaining ??:jap:

TH

in Thailand i pay 5 bath /unit , in my country i pay at least 3 x more .... so why complaining ??:jap:

Most thais cannot move back to uk.

I think wha tkeffki is trying to say is that the cost of labour and machinery is very low in Thailand so at the present rate there is already a large profit. I also think he was trying to point out the difference in wages between thailand and countries such as the uk,making electricity more expnesive in Thailand than places like uk. Just because some guy gets off a plane with a fat wallet and can easily pay the electric bill does not mean some poor thai can pay his at the rate it is here. Posts like yours just show personal greed. It is easy for you ,so to helll with others, seems to be your attitude.

If you have lived here long enough, you may recall the drop in price when EGAT started to run their plants on natural gas instead of oil. As long as the opposition is so strong against nuclear power, we have to live with the increase, as oil WILL run out.

Poor wiring is a cause of big power loss for EGAT, so they are aware and watching their distribution network. In Bangkok most of the blank wires on the 24KV lines were replaced with insulated wires some years back in order to cut losses through tree branches touching the lines. They have also started to install capacitor banks to limit the reactive power loss that becomes more and more of a problem.

Also keep in mind that if you are a small consumer, you will not be billed at all, provided the suggested amendment is accepted by the govt. This will benefit the low income earners that use a fan instead of a/c!

Firstly i never said more buildlings or more housing. Yes you are right about more labor to fix it, but considering all those employees are on monthly wages it does not make any difference if they work 3 hours per day or 12 hours per day-monthly wages remain the same. you forget in Thailand there is hardly any laws dor overtime.

It is simple-electricity company makes a bundle and now wants to make even more.There is no way to justify it or explain ut but greed.

Your right there is always one.....:whistling:

The wiring on the streets you talk about is mainly telephone wire...:rolleyes: ....<deleted> have bamboo ladders got to do with the price of electricity ?

No safety regulations within the power company ?......you know this for a fact ?, I know of a couple of combined cycle power stations in the map-tu-phut area where safety is equal to or better than places I have worked in the world..including the US & UK.

You suggesting the cost of electricity based is based solely on labour costs, labour cost make up a tiny portion of the cost....how about the CAPEX costs to build the power stations, all equipment is imported and they pay the market rate....do you know how much 1 single steam turbine costs ????....how about the fuel costs to run the place ?.

Once again another example of a farang who has got all his "industrial experience" in Thailand sitting on a bar stool....:rolleyes:

Unit cost of eletricity in Thailand is relatatively cheap in comparison with other countries.

so may be we should finally understand that everything becomes more expensive here or is not available or rationed, like Oil, Sugar, Gatit (Coconutmilk) etc etc....now Gasoline is up again on the world markets and soon here at the gasoline stations too. After we can wait for another increase of everything because most food is delivered by trucks wich need diesel.

We own a small restaurant in Phuket, but if I print every second month new menus my customers are not really happy with me.

Sometimes I cant understand how most of the Thai population can stand this constantly jokes of the government without going on the streets like in Egypt or Tunesia

Your right there is always one.....:whistling:

The wiring on the streets you talk about is mainly telephone wire...:rolleyes: ....<deleted> have bamboo ladders got to do with the price of electricity ?

No safety regulations within the power company ?......you know this for a fact ?, I know of a couple of combined cycle power stations in the map-tu-phut area where safety is equal to or better than places I have worked in the world..including the US & UK.

You suggesting the cost of electricity based is based solely on labour costs, labour cost make up a tiny portion of the cost....how about the CAPEX costs to build the power stations, all equipment is imported and they pay the market rate....do you know how much 1 single steam turbine costs ????....how about the fuel costs to run the place ?.

Once again another example of a farang who has got all his "industrial experience" in Thailand sitting on a bar stool....:rolleyes:

Unit cost of eletricity in Thailand is relatatively cheap in comparison with other countries.

LOL, Lets see your post from my bar stool, shall we.

1. Telephone wires you say. I was not aware that telephone wires were capable of supplying electricity, but i guess its lack of industrian experience. You see in the evenings, you have those small vendors selling on the streets and many of them have wires running up to those "telephone wires" as you stated, then funny enough from those telephone wires they have a light. Must be magicbiggrin.gif

2.Bamboo ladder is the equipment used to fix or make new wire. In the West they use cranes to lift workers up to the wires or proper stable ladders.Let me put it into words you may understand.

Bamboo ladder-100 baht if not 0 baht

Proper metal Ladder-5000 baht up

Crane-2 000 000 baht up

So the equipment used is hardly a cost to the business and hence the price of the product. Its business ABC really.

3.I was not talking about safety at the power station, i was clearly speaking about safety regulations on the road.

Even though i am on my bar stool, i still have eyes and see when they do some work. Workers also known as electricians wear thongs if that(usually bear feet) no helmet, no gloves, no crane but a ladder either placed on the back of a pick up or on the ground and yes the bamboo ladder.

4. Business ABC, the biggest cost to any business is wages.(lucky for me in the bar where i have my bar stool they have some magazine with lots of pretty pictures and then some words also, might be some business magazines or perhaps books)

Funny enough, all the senior managers of organizations would agree with me, hence every time company wants to increase profits or falls onto hard times, first thing they do is lay off staff. You know those who maintain everything they apparently must be paid every month.

5. The cost of construction of power station and its parts is the same as the cost in UK, USA or Australia, actually even cheaper. Considering that building one would cost much less in Thailand then it would in USA or UK or Aus because builders get paid i believe 200 per day compared to 6000 baht to the Western builder.

6. I do not know how much 1 single steam turbine costs( i seriously doubt you do) but with my bar stool guess i would imagine the same as it cost in USA, UK AUS or anywhere else for that matter.

7.I would also guess from my bar stool position that fuel costs would be about the same as in the West, actually cheaper since petrol prices in Thailand are lower then in some Western Countries.

So now to sum it up from my bar stool to someone with extensive factory experience.

It cost less to build a station due to labor costs. It cost less to maintain due to labor cost, it cost less to run due to labor cost.

Then company in Thailand pays 30% tax on its income compared to say Aus where company pays i believe 37%, plus plays 9% for super for every employee and another 5% or so for workers compensation.

I would only guess that the electricity in Thailand should be much much cheaper then say in the West.

And now i can return to my bar stool and enjoy it.

PS. I am sorry my experience is only in managing not actually working as electrician.

In my country, we pay 5.84 baht per KwH.

TH

Complaining and stating facts are 2 very different things.

In my country i pay same as i pay in Thailand(last time i lived in my country anyway) BUT

Salary for employee in my country is no less then 60 000 per month, while salary of an employee in Thailand is 6 000/month and for some even 4 000/month.

Pension in my country is 30 000 baht per month while in Thailand its 500 baht per month

So even if i was paying 3 times cheaper, with the salary's being paid electricity should be 10 times cheaper not 3 times.

Kuffki fails to note that salary of 1 employee (in Thailand) is 4-6k --- Egat employees? I doubt it.

Then he fails to note that in his country they go out mostly in 2 man crews --- in Thailand 6-8 man crews etc ....

He states that the price here is high but when confronted with the fact that it is moderately low, goes on the offense ... oh well :)

BTW ---my "bar stool" is an office chair :) (in other words --- attacking the poster is silly --- go for the opinions stated as fact instead!)

Kuffki fails to note that salary of 1 employee (in Thailand) is 4-6k --- Egat employees? I doubt it.

Then he fails to note that in his country they go out mostly in 2 man crews --- in Thailand 6-8 man crews etc ....

He states that the price here is high but when confronted with the fact that it is moderately low, goes on the offense ... oh well :)

BTW ---my "bar stool" is an office chair :) (in other words --- attacking the poster is silly --- go for the opinions stated as fact instead!)

Firstly bar stool comment was made in reference to me-try reading prior to responding

I do not know the salary of Egat employee but rest assured it does not even come to being remotely close to salary of Western employee. 4k-6k was a reference to factory or shop employees, again try to read prior to posting

Since i never said what my country was, iam failing to see how you know how many in the crewblink.gif Have you never heard the saying" its not the quantity but the quality"?

Yes i did say prices are high as is, and putting it up simply greed, while few others are trying to prove prices are not high and if anything cheap.

Now that you have criticized my manner without even reading the posts, do you have anything to say in regards to the actual thread?

Edited by kuffki

Firstly bar stool comment was made in reference to me-try reading prior to responding

I do not know the salary of Egat employee but rest assured it does not even come to being remotely close to salary of Western employee. 4k-6k was a reference to factory or shop employees, again try to read prior to posting

Since i never said what my country was, iam failing to see how you know how many in the crewblink.gif Have you never heard the saying" its not the quantity but the quality"?

Yes i did say prices are high as is, and putting it up simply greed, while few others are trying to prove prices are not high and if anything cheap.

Now that you have criticized my manner without even reading the posts, do you have anything to say in regards to the actual thread?

:) My you are aggressive ------ I spoke to the points in your posts not to your manner or character --- the barstoool response was directed at both of the children that used it :)

You don't know the salary of EGAT employees ---- how many on a crew --- etc ... You suggest you are from a western country (but frankly I don't care) How many are on a standard crew where you are from? In the West a maintenance crew tends to be 2 people. Your Quality vs Quantity is nonsensical -- since you were referring to labor costs (which are truly NOT a big part of the cost of making and distributing electricity)

You think it is high --- it isn't --- you think a price increase of 5% is significant but minimum wage just increased .... ;)

Again when confronted by an opinion contrary to yours you go on the offensive. I could suggest a reason for that, but I won't :)

:) My you are aggressive ------ I spoke to the points in your posts not to your manner or character --- the barstoool response was directed at both of the children that used it :)

You don't know the salary of EGAT employees ---- how many on a crew --- etc ... You suggest you are from a western country (but frankly I don't care) How many are on a standard crew where you are from? In the West a maintenance crew tends to be 2 people. Your Quality vs Quantity is nonsensical -- since you were referring to labor costs (which are truly NOT a big part of the cost of making and distributing electricity)

You think it is high --- it isn't --- you think a price increase of 5% is significant but minimum wage just increased .... ;)

Again when confronted by an opinion contrary to yours you go on the offensive. I could suggest a reason for that, but I won't :)

LOL, and yet you have once again managed to turn it personal where in your first post you got pretty much all the facts wrong and rather then an apology just more personal.

Anyhow back to the topic.

What was an increase of a minimum wage? Why do not you go and ask your local Thai if he thinks the price of electric is low or high?

It may well be perhaps low for you, surely is not low for an average Thai, do you think so many Thai's enjoy sitting in the boiling hot room just with fan? given the money, i can bet my house, they will run to buy an air-con.

So rather then cutting back on 6 in the crew, its a much wiser choice to put up the price, is that the line of your thinking?

Now you have made a statement "Then he fails to note that in his country they go out mostly in 2 man crews --- in Thailand 6-8 man crews etc ...." So which one is it? you know for a fact how many in the crew in my country or you do not care what my country is?

Perhaps if you or another one of your "friends" were to actually adress the thread and post their opinion, rather then get personal, then you may get a different response from me.

So far none of you provided even 1 post with facts or reasoning for your opinions, but with all those involved usually nothing better is expected and post 26 is a perfect example of that.

LOL, and yet you have once again managed to turn it personal where in your first post you got pretty much all the facts wrong and rather then an apology just more personal.

Anyhow back to the topic.

What was an increase of a minimum wage? Why do not you go and ask your local Thai if he thinks the price of electric is low or high?

It may well be perhaps low for you, surely is not low for an average Thai, do you think so many Thai's enjoy sitting in the boiling hot room just with fan? given the money, i can bet my house, they will run to buy an air-con.

So rather then cutting back on 6 in the crew, its a much wiser choice to put up the price, is that the line of your thinking?

Now you have made a statement "Then he fails to note that in his country they go out mostly in 2 man crews --- in Thailand 6-8 man crews etc ...." So which one is it? you know for a fact how many in the crew in my country or you do not care what my country is?

Perhaps if you or another one of your "friends" were to actually adress the thread and post their opinion, rather then get personal, then you may get a different response from me.

So far none of you provided even 1 post with facts or reasoning for your opinions, but with all those involved usually nothing better is expected and post 26 is a perfect example of that.

Your rambling....you havent provided any statements of fact just opinions and assumptions either...:whistling:

Oil for electricity - not a bright choice.

Atomic has been the way to go for over 50 years, but ignorant folks fought their use. France makes money on their nuclear power, as could Thailand, but training is the key.

Definitely no work ethic in Thailand...LOL

I asked a specific question --- how many on a crew wherever you are from Kuffki?

Sorry, but the equipment costs more in Thailand.

Can't compare operating costs but to assume they are way lower doesn't mean they are lower at all. Why Thailand needs 6 isn't an issue, labor cost is what you were talking about. If you want Thailand to be the West, you have a long wait ahead of you.

Can't compare Labor -- you won't give us a figure even for a maintenance crew.

You bring up AC's -- why? Not an issue for most households in Thailand.

You fail to note that MANY households in Thailand pay ZERO for their electricity (did you know that?)

Labor is not a huge factor in the cost of KWH--- you state it is. Show me :)

So ---- Please provide proof for your opinions that you state as FACT.

I been reading this thread and seems people donot read well or read what they want into things. Kuffki is spot on as far as I see it.All you guys are foreigners who it seems donot understand basics things about Thailand. Like Kuffki stated if electric was cheap would thais be sitting with fans only? Of course not they would have aircon. I understand perfectly what he is stating but others pick it apart just to be mean spirited I feel. Lets me put it another way for all you who disagree with kuffki. If a thai has an electric bill of 300 baht for a month that can be 2 days wages. Now let me ask you how many of you in your memory have paid 2 days wages for a months electric in your home country. Or is that to difficult of math to figure it out.