Abhisit: It's Us Or Chaos

Lite Beer

I am not affiliated with any Thai party, but between Abhisit and Yingluck/Thaksin yes I would choose Abhisit as would a vast majority of expats in Thailand.

How about doing a poll? Oh wait, you already did a poll. :rolleyes:

Thankfully it doesn't matter what expats think. Expats by and large care about themselves, and their access to all the good deals available in Thailand, some of which are exploitive in nature.

Fortunately there is a sizable minority on Thaivisa.com who is not adverse to the concept of empowering the poor, and respecting their choices and aspirations. :thumbsup:

That's ridiculous if you're suggesting most expats who oppose Thaksin are against the poor. Yes I know the redshirt propaganda on this, but that doesn't make it TRUE. Promising a house to OWN to EVERY Thai family doesn't actually help the poor, unless you mean a short term fantasy fix, like a dose of Yaba.

Agree of course this election is for the Thais. But that doesn't mean most expats can't think they are making a BIG MISTAKE if they put Thaksin back in power.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin wont have to come back to get his money, he would just find a way to funnel it out of the country, once his little sister gets elected.

I still cant believe his little sister is actually running for prime minister. Before this it was his brother in law. What a retarded world we live in.

Would Yingluck be able to answer such questions?

Not a chance. I doubt she will even expose herself to serious international press. That would be very bad for Thailand economically to have such a vapid puppet representing this great country to the world. The old saying, people get the government they deserve. It is clear that Thailand doesn't deserve a PM as decent as Abhisit. No, he isn't perfect, but he was operating in dangerous times, and I predict he will be remembered as one of the greatest PM's in Thai history. I also don't expect him to be the next PM, though that's not the same as predicting Yingluck will be either (but more likely her).

A lot of Democrat negativity, like Rats deserting the sinking ship.

I am not affiliated with any Thai party, but between Abhisit and Yingluck/Thaksin yes I would choose Abhisit as would a vast majority of expats in Thailand.

Well it may surprise you that amongst my group of expat friends here in Pattaya there is not ONE person who would support Abhisit over Lucky!!!

All these guys have a deep interest in Thai politics and it is a constant subject of discussion in the evenings. All have permanently lived here for not less than 8 years and most longer! (Ive lived here for 24 years).

Its not Abhisit who is disliked,but whats behind him!

its not Thaksin or Yinglak whose liked but the fundamental cause underneath which rarely seems to get an airing here on TV

I know no one in the expat community here who actually supports the current regime!

We all hope Yinglak wins and has a real chance to form and keep a Government.

This is the only real way for the country to progress and not regress which what its currently doing.

Ther will still be trouble ahead though!

Sounds like you choose your friends selectively, which is natural. But your story is anecdotal and much less credibility than even the various (over the years) admittedly unscientific polls showing expats don't prefer Thaksin/redshirts/Thaksin puppet parties.

Not surprised. I've met the Che Gueverra pipe dreamers in Pattaya too who buy the bunk that Thaksin is an AUTHENTIC populist and not an massively corrupt power/money driven dangerous character. I realize he plays a populist on tv but am amazed that any sophisticated westerner would even begin to buy his act.

Edited by Jingthing

Thankfully it doesn't matter what expats think. Expats by and large care about themselves, and their access to all the good deals available in Thailand, some of which are exploitive in nature.

Fortunately there is a sizable minority on Thaivisa.com who is not adverse to the concept of empowering the poor, and respecting their choices and aspirations. :thumbsup:

That's ridiculous if you're suggesting most expats who oppose Thaksin are against the poor. Yes I know the redshirt propaganda on this, but that doesn't make it TRUE. Promising a house to OWN to EVERY Thai family doesn't actually help the poor, unless you mean a short term fantasy fix, like a dose of Yaba.

Agree of course this election is for the Thais. But that doesn't mean most expats can't think they are making a BIG MISTAKE if they put Thaksin back in power.

No, most expats think its a mistake to return Abhisit to power. Not quite the same thing!!

Of course I refer to expats who have made a more than superficial effort to understand the deeper issues involved, and not just those who believe the propaganda dished out by both sides!

Sounds like you choose your friends selectively, which is natural. But your story is anecdotal and much less credibility than even the various (over the years) admittedly unscientific polls showing expats don't prefer Thaksin/redshirts/Thaksin puppet parties.

Not surprised. I've met the Che Gueverra pipe dreamers in Pattaya too who buy the bunk that Thaksin is an AUTHENTIC populist and not an massively corrupt power/money driven dangerous character. I realize he plays a populist on tv but am amazed that any sophisticated westerner would even begin to buy his act.

I dont think he chooses his friends selectively at all. And if you think that the Poll that TVF put on is proof of all the expats you speak of, you have lost the plot. I think there are a lot more Forums and expats that have nothing to do with forums than the poll you suggest speaks for all.

Promising a house to OWN to EVERY Thai family doesn't actually help the poor, unless you mean a short term fantasy fix, like a dose of Yaba.

... or an easily approved no-doc home loan available to anyone and everyone? Hmmm look at what happened in the U.S.A. and their "American Dream". The credit cards to the poor is risky enough, I hope they don't escalate to no-doc home loans here in Thailand.

Edited by hyperdimension

I dont think he chooses his friends selectively at all. And if you think that the Poll that TVF put on is proof of all the expats you speak of, you have lost the plot. I think there are a lot more Forums and expats that have nothing to do with forums than the poll you suggest speaks for all.

It's more evidence than anecdotal reports about what their TINY set of friends think. That I believe is a fact. I am not however representing the polls here as scientific, just stronger than personal stories.

Next ...

Promising a house to OWN to EVERY Thai family doesn't actually help the poor, unless you mean a short term fantasy fix, like a dose of Yaba.

... or an easily approved no-doc home loan to available to anyone and everyone? Hmmm look at what happened in the U.S.A. and their "American Dream". The credit cards to the poor is risky enough, I hope they don't escalate to no-doc home loans here in Thailand.

Of course, and even with those loans to the destitute, it never was even close to ALL Americans owning homes. That promise is beyond ridiculous. It would be tragic if they tried to fulfill that. What about a SANE promise? What about making REAL FUNDAMENTAL change to make the dream of home ownership more accessible than it is now, to those who actually have the ability to financially handle such ownership? Obviously that doesn't sell. Thailand still has some very hard lessons to learn.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course I dont buy his act.We all know exactly what Thaksin is and he has no support amongst my circle.in fact hes been a laughing stock for years!

But"any sophisticated westerner" would make an attempt to see beyond the simplistic issue of Thaksin himself,which seems to be the thrust of your argument. and contemplate the much deeper social issues involved which I do believe are whats really driving this election.

To the Thais Thaksin is largely an irrelevance, and many oe even most dont care if he comes back or not.

However on the TV board it seems to be the only issue that matters.Its not!

You must be joking! It is ALL about Thaksin. Surely this last campaign has made that crystal clear to any naive people who bought the lies over the years that it wasn't.

I am not the only one who thinks this way. Do you watch the international press. Today on Al Jazeera concludes, this election essentially has become a referendum on THAKSIN. Yes, 100 percent spot on.

Edited by Jingthing

You're having a laugh aren't you?

Unfortunately the propaganda goes both ways and whoever wins the average Thai will more than likely lose.

Both sides offer nothing much and whoever loses will not accept the result and do whatever they can to destabilise whoever wins.

No one is interested in any substantive reforms that might actually make a signifcant difference to the lives of your average Thai citizen.

It's more evidence than anecdotal reports about what their TINY set of friends think. That I believe is a fact. I am not however representing the polls here as scientific, just stronger than personal stories.

Next ...

If you are sinking in the ocean, don't clutch at straws.

That's insulting. You are expressing your opinion, fine, but to suggest that all people who are informed will have your opinion is beyond the pale.

No insult intended and Im sorry if you inferred one!!

Of course Im making a generalisation based on what I read here on TV, an obsession with the evils of Thaksin to the point of ignoring all the other issues.

It is indeed my opinion which seems to be the opposite of most posters I read here on TV, but is shared by most informed expats of my acquaintance, none of whom ever have posted here or ever will.

Im actually amazed by the violent anti-red shirt feelings here and can only conclude that most posters do indeed only have a superficial interest or understanding of whats behind Thai politics and simply believe the rubbish thats fed to them, yes by both parties.

Ok enough of that.its only an internet discussion and dinner calls!!!!

does it matter. Most germans supported Hitler Most Iraqis supported Saddam most Libyans did support Gaddafi. Amount of support is not relevant as to weather someone or a party is good or even best for any country. As far as rats leaving a sinking ship. this is one rat that will leave sinking Thailand if Taksin and his thugs ever get back. Anyone who can support red thugs who tried to burn Bangkok and their megalomaniac master and does not see Taksin for what he is and think his sister is not just a proxy is very blind. Any country that elects a convicted criminal and elects in their top party list MP's who urged violence called for followers to burn down Bangkok dont are not ready for any form of democracy. So let them elect Taksin and please dont pretend its not obout him. They will get what they wanted which will be very bad or maybe worse when Army step in to save idiots from their own stupidity. Every person I know whos been here more than 7 or so years is totally opposed to Taksin and most who have only come over here in last 3-5 years support reds. And before someone says goodbye at least I and my family can leave and have the option to live in a country not totally run by a convicted criminal and his thugs. Reminds one greatly of Hitler and his brown shirts or pol pot and rest.

They will get what they wanted which will be very bad or maybe worse when Army step in to save idiots from their own stupidity.

What a joke! you really think Army will ever do a coup to save thais people??? If they try a new coup this time it will not be with flowers and smiles...and they certainly not want to save them, but certainly wants to save their own money, interests and the people who give them money.

The army is a joke in Thailand, much more than Thaksin.

Did they become a democracy to gain alliance with the west in order to protect themselves from communist expansion?

I'm not aware they ever became a democracy. In any case, they were certainly far less of one during the 50s, 60s and 70s but they had no trouble 'gaining alliance with the west' (mutual interests and benefit, don't you know) -- they already had it and it was proffered gladly.

And the reasons for alliance with the US specifically goes back a bit farther than -- though was obviously strengthened by -- the efforts against communist expansion in SEA. (For one thing, you can look at the US taking Thailand's side and not going with the UK and France in punishing them for their alliance with the Japanese.)

Now back to the thread...

does it matter. Most germans supported Hitler Most Iraqis supported Saddam most Libyans did support Gaddafi. Amount of support is not relevant as to weather someone or a party is good or even best for any country. As far as rats leaving a sinking ship. this is one rat that will leave sinking Thailand if Taksin and his thugs ever get back. Anyone who can support red thugs who tried to burn Bangkok and their megalomaniac master and does not see Taksin for what he is and think his sister is not just a proxy is very blind. Any country that elects a convicted criminal and elects in their top party list MP's who urged violence called for followers to burn down Bangkok dont are not ready for any form of democracy. So let them elect Taksin and please dont pretend its not obout him. They will get what they wanted which will be very bad or maybe worse when Army step in to save idiots from their own stupidity. Every person I know whos been here more than 7 or so years is totally opposed to Taksin and most who have only come over here in last 3-5 years support reds. And before someone says goodbye at least I and my family can leave and have the option to live in a country not totally run by a convicted criminal and his thugs. Reminds one greatly of Hitler and his brown shirts or pol pot and rest.

Letitbe. You want to take it easy, before you give yourself a coronary. :rolleyes:

You must be joking! It is ALL about Thaksin. Surely this last campaign has made that crystal clear to any naive people who bought the lies over the years that it wasn't.

I am not the only one who thinks this way. Do you watch the international press. Today on Al Jazeera concludes, this election essentially has become a referendum on THAKSIN. Yes, 100 percent spot on.

Al J. concludes that so it must be so?

Yes I read the International news but do you ever actually speak to the Thai people involved?

It would appear not or you may have a different opinion.

I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election. Only in the Press!

Its all about the other isuues that affect them and primarily the unpalatable prospect of the Dems again and whats behind and backing them.

They dont want that and thats what is going to push the PT into power,not the piffling matter of Thaksin and his 46 billion.

The votibg Thais all know about Thaksins corruption but simply dont care, and thats the fact of it.

Why do posters here assume that the local Thais are so stupid if they vote for the PT?

They're not!!! Its an insult to think that!

Not a chance. I doubt she will even expose herself to serious international press. That would be very bad for Thailand economically to have such a vapid puppet representing this great country to the world. The old saying, people get the government they deserve. It is clear that Thailand doesn't deserve a PM as decent as Abhisit. No, he isn't perfect, but he was operating in dangerous times, and I predict he will be remembered as one of the greatest PM's in Thai history. I also don't expect him to be the next PM, though that's not the same as predicting Yingluck will be either (but more likely her).

+1 Vapid puppet. :whistling: Couldn't have put it better myself. Abhisit is about 100 years ahead of his time given the current maturity of Thai democracy.

Yes I read the International news but do you ever actually speak to the Thai people involved?

I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election. Only in the Press!

Its all about the other isuues that affect them and primarily the unpalatable prospect of the Dems again and whats behind and backing them.

They dont want that and thats what is going to push the PT into power,not the piffling matter of Thaksin and his 46 billion.

The votibg Thais all know about Thaksins corruption but simply dont care, and thats the fact of it.

Why do posters here assume that the local Thais are so stupid if they vote for the PT?

Wow - you never heard Thaksin's name mentioned when talking with Thai people? In the little town I'm in, and the village I'm moving to, in Issan, that's ALL the talk. They tell me a vote for Yingluck is voting to bring Thaksin back to Thailand. And that's what they want. No, they are not stupid, not at all - most are really quite clever, imho. They point to what they believe were things that K Thaksin did to help them - well, the PTP supporters do. The non-PTP supporters point to some of the same things as being what K Thaksin did that actually hurt the Thai people. So, they're divided - just like the whole of Thailand, just like the TV forum members.

edited to add the word 'hurt'

Edited by noahvail

They will get what they wanted which will be very bad or maybe worse when Army step in to save idiots from their own stupidity.

What a joke! you really think Army will ever do a coup to save thais people??? If they try a new coup this time it will not be with flowers and smiles...and they certainly not want to save them, but certainly wants to save their own money, interests and the people who give them money.

Exactly! Thats the point of it all.NOt Thaksin!

Wow - you never heard Thaksin's name mentioned when talking with Thai people? In the little town I'm in, and the village I'm moving to, in Issan, that's ALL the talk. They tell me a vote for Yingluck is voting to bring Thaksin back to Thailand. And that's what they want. No, they are not stupid, not at all - most are really quite clever, imho. They point to what they believe were things that K Thaksin did to help them - well, the PTP supporters do. The non-PTP supporters point to some of the same things as being what K Thaksin did that actually the Thai people. So, they're divided - just like the whole of Thailand, just like the TV forum members.

Ok I accept that and clearly the local chaobahn want Thaksin back for the reasons you give.

However its not quite the case amongst the Thais I know here who perhaps are more BKK orientated. They just sont want the Dems and all they stand for ( at the moment). Ni

Abhisit is a lovely fellow personally but ................ Nuff said as Trink would say!

Exactly! Thats the point of it all.NOt Thaksin!

Totally agree, it's not about k. Thaksin. Mind you not about the army either. The OP is "Abhisit: It's us or chaos" with information on last night's Dem's rally at the Royal Plaza. A bit rained out I'm afraid. I could vaguely hear some speakers from my apartment, but with a rally next to Anantha Throne Hall it wouldn't be full-blast sound level anyway.

+1 Vapid puppet. :whistling: Couldn't have put it better myself. Abhisit is about 100 years ahead of his time given the current maturity of Thai democracy.

Abhisit is a puppet for the military, they whistle and he dances. How do you think he got to the position of PM? Once again another poorly written piece by a very low grade news paper / mouthpiece.

I think you were around in 2006, when it was unequivocally proven that the people in government are not the people 'in power'. So would Thaksin or his clan get back into the government: quite likely. Will they be under any impression that they now call the shots in Thailand? Not really. Or better: Really not. They will have to tread as carefully as the Democrats.

Wow - you never heard Thaksin's name mentioned when talking with Thai people? In the little town I'm in, and the village I'm moving to, in Issan, that's ALL the talk. They tell me a vote for Yingluck is voting to bring Thaksin back to Thailand. And that's what they want. No, they are not stupid, not at all - most are really quite clever, imho. They point to what they believe were things that K Thaksin did to help them - well, the PTP supporters do. The non-PTP supporters point to some of the same things as being what K Thaksin did that actually the Thai people. So, they're divided - just like the whole of Thailand, just like the TV forum members.

Ok I accept that and clearly the local chaobahn want Thaksin back for the reasons you give.

However its not quite the case amongst the Thais I know here who perhaps are more BKK orientated. They just sont want the Dems and all they stand for ( at the moment). Ni

Abhisit is a lovely fellow personally but ................ Nuff said as Trink would say!

Fair enough, I don't personally know any Thai who live in BKK. And I can certainly understand feelings against the democrats. Personally, I think the dems were hamstrung by two things that were not their doing: the global financial crisis and the extended demonstration in BKK. While part of me applauded Mr Abhisit's patience in dealing with a very complex problem, I wish he had acted much - much - more quickly. Where he did succeed was in bringing Thailand forward economically during difficult times.

That being said, I have seen posts here that say the Thais don't understand inflation. Of course, they do! They remember what they paid last year, five years ago, and compare it with today. They may choose not to read or be concerned with governmental statistics, but they know bloody everything costs more. Of course - it's the way of the world. But for those who have not seen their income increase in years, whilst prices increase (sometimes scandalously), the blame falls on the current government. And perhaps, rightly so.

"I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election" So you are fully informed, intelligent PTP supporter - and yet you don't know the PTP motto, you don't know the surname of the party's PM candidate, or that she has stated that she is her brother's clone. Back under your bridge, troll!