Beat The Ban Again!

millwall_fan

With the second of the three booze bans looming at 6pm this evening (Saturday) why not join us at The Olde Bell for a Barbie this afternoon to beat the ban on alcohol sales after 6pm due to the election?

We've got Marinaded Kebabs, Chicken and Pork steaks, Livers, Fish, Seafood, Potato Salad, Coleslaw, and more!

All you can eat for 100 baht!

We've also got special offers on that well known Irish Stout, Olde Bell Draught Brown Ale and Thai Lion Beer!

It all starts around 2pm and ends with the ban at around 6pm ish!!

Second of three booze bans? There is another one next weekend?

-Mestizo

No, Sir, next weekend you can enjoy alcoholic beverages to the full!! ...but it's brief respite, 'cos where the elections leave off, Buddha kicks in! Friday 15th July is Asanha Bucha Day when the Buddha gave a very long speech called the dhammacakkappavattana. One of the reasons that alcohol is banned is that after a couple of pints you haven't a hope of pronouncing Dhammacakkappavattana. Saturday 16th is Khao Pansa the start of the Buddhist Lent, although our initial discussions with the local constabulary suggest that discreet booze sales may be permitted on the Saturday. All of this means that although I juggle staff holidays and no one is laid off as such, all our staff and i would guess all the staff in all bars restaurants, as well as taxi and tuk tuk drivers, and many others in the hospitality industry will be short of money as the tips which comprise a signifcant part of their salary are severely reduced. Maybe someone should explain this to the new government , whoever it is to be!

Just wondering, how much do you charge for Guinness?

Our regular price is 185 baht Sir, although if you sign up for our Gold Membership Card (available if you live in Chiang Mai for more than 4 months a year), you get a 10% discount on that price giving a total of 167 baht a pint. On the first and 3rd Monday's of the month we hold an Irish night when Guinness costs 165 baht pint (149 baht with your Gold Card). We believe that makes us the cheapest pint of Guinness in Chiang Mai, if not in Thailand!!

'beat the ban'??? Most bars were open until 6-7pm.If you close at 6pm how are you beating the ban,or is it just sponsors self promotion

1. Being open as a restaurant is different from serving alcohol, I would surmise.

2. If 'last call' thinking prevails here, one might order a long beverage at 5:55 and nurse it along a while.

3. I find the submissions from the advertiser you question to be as informative as involving the offer or real bargains.

Certainly hope and trust that we all stocked up between 5 & 6, so that we might be less testy today.:whistling:

I thought you couldn't buy booze between 2PM and 5PM or did that change that?

That seems to have temporarily fallen into abeyance - we had to ban smoking inside to negotiate this though!

What a great WIN-WIN / WIN outcome!

'beat the ban'??? Most bars were open until 6-7pm.If you close at 6pm how are you beating the ban,or is it just sponsors self promotion

To most people of moderate intelligence I think the offer we put on and the way in which it 'beat the ban' was explained clearly enough! A god number understood and appreciated the offer, as it was very well subscribed!!

Any chance of getting something other tan tea in that teapot?

'Fraid not Winne! those days are generally over, with the police sniffing in teacups etc!