Thaksin Allies In Thai Election Landslide: Exit Polls

webfact

Because she had 100% more seats than the party in second place so if 15% of her vote would have been spread between the other parties she'd still have won.

I didn't realise the Democrats only got 130 seats.

If she only had 35% of the seats, she wouldn't have a majority and she would have to form a coalition.

Go back to school.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

255 seats out of 500 is not a landslide. It's a slight majority. Please learn about the English language. It's a great thing when used correctly.

CNN calls it a landslide, BBC called it a landslide. Maybe you should go educate them about politics too. Puea Thai won over 50% out of 40 political parties across Thailand. When you take all other 39 parties together, they can't even reach Puea Thai.

It has just been revised to 259, by the way, for Puea Thai. The Democrats at 120.

I'm sorry, it's a landslide when the difference between the 1st and the 2nd is over 100% more.

I agree, a LANDSLIDE. No doubt. But was it won legally? DOUBT. I am talking about the ILLEGAL role of Thaksin.

Jingthing, maybe it was someone else - but were you not on here a while back, debating about crowd size and informing all that the Redshirts really had very little support? This election has been a long time coming. Democracy is government by the people. Myself and others have said numerous times - there is more to Thailand then just the massive population in and around BKK. The fact is the majority of Thais do not live in Bangkok and are not wealthy or even upper middle-class. The majority of Thai Visa members are much wealthier and better educated in comparison, so maybe you would choose a different party to support. Get over it.

Try to understand the majority, they want what they believe is best for them, they have the right to choose. They have been stripped of that right over and over, its time to let the majority govern.

If you really believe that Thailand will be governed by and for ALL the people, I have a bridge you may be interested in buying.

Any speculation on how the party power change could effect western tourism for Thailand. If it does is the urban traveller or countryside travellers that gets effected most. Above and beyond the normal overcharging, being looked down on, only treated nicely when the USD$ is involved, etc. Conservatism increase?

Edited by pacosvillage

Are you mad? They got a huge majority of the vote with the other god knows how many parties sharing the rest of the electorate. Get real!

They got JUST over 50% of the vote. They might be the biggest party, but that isn't a huge majority.

In an election with multiple parties (in this case some 40) winning more then half the seats is a huge victory, the second largest party is a whopping 100 seats behind. In most such elections, (with say 6+ parties) it is very uncommon for one party to win a majority of seats. To decribe this resuklt as JUST doesn't give the right credit to the result, the dems are way behind PT, no other way of describing it.

"If" he is banned from politics then the answer is obvious. (However, i am not sure if his ban has expired .. also not sure if being a fugitive automatically constitutes a ban)

I personally hope they do a lot of talking and that security forces legally record any conversations. It will make it easy to bring a case against his sister for everything from aiding a fugitive to improper relationships with a wanted terrorist and what ever other charges can be brought for pretending to be a servant of the people of Thailand but truly only acting in the interests of a wanted criminal.

Sooner or later the poor people of Thailand must be educated and not continually be bought off and in debt through loans by a corrupt thug whose only interest is to keep the poor in debt and reliant on his loans instead of allowing them to be self-sufficient.

These election results are no different than what we saw happen in Iran. It is sad to say but sometimes democracy isn't in the best interest of the people when you have such high levels of corruption by a leader(s).

A true democrat eh Nisa? By all and any means. Have you ever questioned why the democrats have not won an election for 20 years? Obviously not with sentiments like yours; "sometimes democracy isn't in the interest of the people etc.' By whose decision, yours?

Bit irrelevant when there isn't a truly democratic country in the world. When was the last time a PM or party was elected by a genuine majority of the people ie more than 50% of eligible voters?

OK, so you're being pedantic. Don't YOU find it even slightly disturbing that someone is of the belief that "sometimes democracy isn't in the interest of the people"? If not, I have nothing further to discuss with you.

Are you mad? They got a huge majority of the vote with the other god knows how many parties sharing the rest of the electorate. Get real!

They got JUST over 50% of the vote. They might be the biggest party, but that isn't a huge majority.

Indeed, WB. Not a huge majority, and we haven't heard from the election commission yet. A few red cards could change this, and you just know that there will be more than a few handed out.

CNN calls it a landslide, BBC called it a landslide. Maybe you should go educate them about politics too. Puea Thai won over 50% out of 40 political parties across Thailand. When you take all other 39 parties together, they can't even reach Puea Thai.

It has just been revised to 259, by the way, for Puea Thai. The Democrats at 120.

I'm sorry, it's a landslide when the difference between the 1st and the 2nd is over 100% more.

Most definitions of "election landslide" mention an overwhelming majority. This was hardly an overwhelming majority.

Yes, they're mad. Mad because they've been rooting for the losers for the past few years. And mad that the fact they've been spreading that most Thais don't want Thaksin was a big fat lie. The truth is that Thais have chosen Thaksin as they have in the previous elections. The Democrats have now lost every single election for the past nearly 20 years. They have spoken, please respect it.

:jap:

But the few mad foreigners here won't bother the Thai people.

Why bother :cheesy:

"The Thais" haven't chosen Taksin- SOME of the Thais have chosen Taksin. Pleast don't overlook the FACT that PT didn't win a single seat in the South.

Can't say its exactly a great surprise. What percentage do they need to make a single party government rather than a coalition?

So, big brother back by Autumn, charges and convictions quashed (allowing him to be an MP again), PM early next year perhaps.

Things I am more worried about:

- The issues with the crown and with such popularity and (seeming) ability to sell rhetoric as gospel, it makes sense to ride the crest of that wave, and a challenge may be forthcoming. That could spell civil war - though personally I think big bruv is too clever for that and will sideline and attempt to (continue to) reduce the crown's popularity. WHich would, of course, remove the balance which that brings (like have one superpower - too dangerous).

- His enemies have very limited options now in light of the expected results. Things could get very nasty now (and assassination attempts may play a part - though I am sure big bruv knows that). Unlikely they will get enough public support for major demonstrations to have any positive affect, the military may well be their best allies.

- Another military coup - depends how he handles the Army in particular - many will remember that they were targets (specifically) in BKK (TV showing young soldiers being pulled from trucks and kicked senseless - and live mortar and bullets fired at Army barricades). Big bruv must be very clever and very careful here - changing the top (like he did last time) will likely result in retaliation - leaving it in place long term is not desirable either.

- Further erosion of civil liberties and freedom of media. 1930's style propaganda. One party state.

One thing is almost certain - and true whoever wins - it ain't going to help our (expats) lot any - so like the wise old men on the Titanic, retire to the bar for a drink and enjoy the view on the way down - sure beats running around the deck squawking like a chicken as those almost empty escape boats disappear over the horizon! Might be fun seeing how she explains that all those pie-in-the-sky promises are not going to happen within the next 9 years (or 900 for that).

Looks to me that things are a changing all over the world.

The people in the Middle East are in uprisings.

Americans have rejected the ruling old class to put in a Black liberal President.

Just like in Thailand, the mass media will say how he is in trouble and he will then of course follow their nonsense with a HUGE win in 2012.

Here in Thailand, the reasons the polls and the media has been so so inaccurate are obvious.

If you say what you think here as a RED, you could go to jail. But after the corrupt members of the court are removed, tjhings will get better in Thailand.

Coup upon Coup have taken place in Thailand crushing elected governments and still the people fight back with their votes. It is quite inspiring.

Oh yeah

If you are a red and you are here reading expecting any of the paid for posters who post anti red propaganda to change their posts, you are indeed going to be disappointed. They will say the same nonsense as always and dream of their next coup.

BUT--perhaps this time, the men in Black will be standing next to media and next to the prime minister to protect her. And this time they will not be using rubber Bullits against your paid for gunners---- Elite Thailand.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice? NO--not this time.

I hear their might be CIA here to protect her along with British agents.

But I put my faith in those men in Black who will be ready to shoot down who ever attempts to use violence.

Any speculation on how the party power change could effect western tourism for Thailand. If it does is the urban traveller or countryside travellers that gets effected most. Above and beyond the normal overcharging, being looked down on, only treated nicely when the USD$ is involved, etc. Conservatism increase?

This remains to be seen, but I would not worry too much.

I just hope that Yingluck puts an end to the disgusting sex tourism and all the farang-weirdos it attracts to our country.. In fact, I kinda expect her to do so, but we'll see.

Yes, they're mad. Mad because they've been rooting for the losers for the past few years. And mad that the fact they've been spreading that most Thais don't want Thaksin was a big fat lie. The truth is that Thais have chosen Thaksin as they have in the previous elections. The Democrats have now lost every single election for the past nearly 20 years. They have spoken, please respect it.

:jap:

But the few mad foreigners here won't bother the Thai people.

Why bother :cheesy:

C'mon man, how could we possibly expect them to know what "most" Thais want??...And far from rooting for loosers, these guys are ALL married to Chinese/Thai HiSo wives with University honours, who own and run two succesful businesses,employing 120 staff, along with 10 multi-lingual gardeners and a cross-eyed maid from Buriram :whistling:

Because she had 100% more seats than the party in second place so if 15% of her vote would have been spread between the other parties she'd still have won.

If she only had 35% of the seats, she wouldn't have a majority and she would have to form a coalition.

Go back to school.

She'd have have won anyway with a much smaller percentage of the vote so you go back to school. Fact is she won with a landslide victory so go to bed and live with it!

a great day for Thailand, long overdue.

now its time to get the original perpetrators of the airport hijacking from all those years ago... seems that was all too easily forgotten.

amnesty was promised, so why go after them now?

Yes, amnesty is the way forward. Sadly this will include those responsible for murdering 90 individuals a year ago, some medical nurses in a temple, but it's the only way to make progress.

And what about the hundreds ( thousands? ) murdered in Taksin's "War on Drugs"? Or did you conveniently "forget" about them?

"If" he is banned from politics then the answer is obvious. (However, i am not sure if his ban has expired .. also not sure if being a fugitive automatically constitutes a ban)

I personally hope they do a lot of talking and that security forces legally record any conversations. It will make it easy to bring a case against his sister for everything from aiding a fugitive to improper relationships with a wanted terrorist and what ever other charges can be brought for pretending to be a servant of the people of Thailand but truly only acting in the interests of a wanted criminal.

Sooner or later the poor people of Thailand must be educated and not continually be bought off and in debt through loans by a corrupt thug whose only interest is to keep the poor in debt and reliant on his loans instead of allowing them to be self-sufficient.

These election results are no different than what we saw happen in Iran. It is sad to say but sometimes democracy isn't in the best interest of the people when you have such high levels of corruption by a leader(s).

A true democrat eh Nisa? By all and any means. Have you ever questioned why the democrats have not won an election for 20 years? Obviously not with sentiments like yours; "sometimes democracy isn't in the interest of the people etc.' By whose decision, yours?

Although there are numerous examples to give how democracy's sometimes work against the people, I will only give one ... Hitler's Germany

I doubt it will - no party here wants to throw away $15+Bn a year. It will be another day at the office (for want of an apt analogy) as far as the tourists are concerned, and most are blissfully unaware of in-country politics when they visit anyway. TAT will still put out the usual pretty girls with orchids in their hair and toothy smiles on their faces. Worry not.

Of course any civil unrest that occurs may cause impact, but that's an unknown quantity right now - and given the strength of the voting, possibly less likely than it could have been (especially if, say, the election is voided by the EC etc).

Although there are numerous examples to give how democracy's sometimes work against the people, I will only give one ... Hitler's Germany

And the relevance of that example to Thailand Today would be...................?edit to add

And with respect the rise of nazism ( I presume that is the picture of Hitlers Germany you wish to refer to ) arose from the principle of legislating regardless of the existing constitution, known as Gleichschatung, (co-ordination). Seeing as the exisiting 2007 constitution was written by a committee formed by the Military and criticism of it was illegal, maybe it would be necessary to do so again - but somehow I think that the PTP will find a sensible way to discuss the existing constitution and how it should be amended without Jingluk turning into a female Hitler.

Edited by phiphidon

I agree, a LANDSLIDE. No doubt. But was it won legally? DOUBT. I am talking about the ILLEGAL role of Thaksin.

What are you saying exactly that Thaksin shouldn't be allowed to talk to his little sister about politics and give her a few tips.

Bit irrelevant when there isn't a truly democratic country in the world. When was the last time a PM or party was elected by a genuine majority of the people ie more than 50% of eligible voters?

More than 50% doesn't mean the majority,

if you have 100 voters and 5 candidates (parties)

candidate 1 = 10%

candidate 2 = 25%

candidate 3 = 5%

candidate 4 = 40%

candidate 5 = 20%

candidate 4 wins by majority.

OK, so you're being pedantic. Don't YOU find it even slightly disturbing that someone is of the belief that "sometimes democracy isn't in the interest of the people"? If not, I have nothing further to discuss with you.

I would say that not many western politicians believe in democracy, only power. When Obama thinks he has to have a Billion $ to win the next election, it doesn't give me much faith that he believes in policies winning elections.

"The Thais" haven't chosen Taksin- SOME of the Thais have chosen Taksin. Pleast don't overlook the FACT that PT didn't win a single seat in the South.

Majority in Thailand counts, not seats in the South. And the majority of Thais have chosen Thaksin. PT didn't win seats in the South, but that doesn't mean they didn't get a single vote. They got quite a good number of votes even in the South.

The fact that's becoming clear is that the Thai people have been forced upon a PM over the past years that they didn't vote for and who now apparently only has barely over 30% of the country behind him.

I think Yingluck will do just fine with over 50% of the country behind her, which is the majority of Thais.

"In a Democracy, the people get the government they deserve." - Alexis de Tocqueville

David

You've been her how long, a week?

คุณlannarebirth

สวัสดีครับ

I think if you will check, de Tocqueville was referring to the United States. I believe, however, that the the statement is fairly universal. The US has managed to elect both John F. Kennedy and George W. Bush. Great Britain has had Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair. Thailand has ... you fill in the blanks.

As for how long I have been here, ไท่เป็นไร

David

What are you saying exactly that Thaksin shouldn't be allowed to talk to his little sister about politics and give her a few tips.

candidate 1 = 10%

candidate 2 = 25%

candidate 3 = 5%

candidate 4 = 40%

candidate 5 = 20%

Which is my point exactly. If Democracy is government by the majority, why do we only get MINORITY governments. It's all just BS designed to keep the same corrupt elites in power. Did you follow the MP expenses scandal in the UK. They're all just very bad persons masquerading as friends of "the people".

It is sad but it is not only Thailand where elections have turned into a joke in terms of the people's lack of concern or understanding about what is best for them and their country's & family's future.

To believe that an 8-week experienced politician without even any business experience beyond what she was handed by her brother is the right person to lead the country is a joke. It is also a scary joke to believe a corrupt convicted fugitive (or anybody else) is the right person to lead the country through their highly inexperienced sister.

However, it is similar to the US electing Bush Junior who had an adult history of alcohol & drug abuse and string of failed business' as well as arrests in addition to his not being very bright and certainly not a good speaker / communicator.

To believe these people are the best a country has to offer is sad and a reflection of how the democratic process can fail for various reasons.

Edited by Nisa

Americans have rejected the ruling old class to put in a Black liberal President.

Just like in Thailand, the mass media will say how he is in trouble and he will then of course follow their nonsense with a HUGE win in 2012.

Here in Thailand, the reasons the polls and the media has been so so inaccurate are obvious.

If you say what you think here as a RED, you could go to jail. But after the corrupt members of the court are removed, tjhings will get better in Thailand.

Coup upon Coup have taken place in Thailand crushing elected governments and still the people fight back with their votes. It is quite inspiring.

Oh yeah

If you are a red and you are here reading expecting any of the paid for posters who post anti red propaganda to change their posts, you are indeed going to be disappointed. They will say the same nonsense as always and dream of their next coup.

BUT--perhaps this time, the men in Black will be standing next to media and next to the prime minister to protect her. And this time they will not be using rubber Bullits against your paid for gunners---- Elite Thailand.

But I put my faith in those men in Black who will be ready to shoot down who ever attempts to use violence.

CIA, British agents, in Thailand, protecting the PM. 5555555555555555555

Truly, the mind boggles!

candidate 1 = 10%

candidate 2 = 25%

candidate 3 = 5%

candidate 4 = 40%

candidate 5 = 20%

You're wrong. Look up the word in the dictionary.

Go back to school.

She would still have won the election though. Winning the election is about getting the most seats, not getting the majority of seats. As I said earlier, that any party actually is able to get so many votes that it is able to govern without forming a coalition is an exception in democracies where so many parties participate in general election, allthough in the case of Thailand it hsa happenend a few times, Thaksin and TRT being the most recent example.

Oh yeah

Yes, polls are often very inaccurate (to comment on an earlier post relating to Major's win in the UK following 17 years of fellow Conservative Margret Thatcher - MOST polls had it down as a Labour landslide, when in fact Major won with a good majority!). The possible difference between Egypt, Libya, Iran and Thailand is that Thailand is a multi-party democracy already, so its not freedom that people are after. The media here has been controlled for decades (remember Thaksin forcing the editor chief of BKK Post to quit? and the mass closing of radio/tv/internet sites by successive governments) - the Thai people are woefully undereducated politically - and are almost feudal in thier expectations of governemnt and authority - its a hard place to make good democracy work.

I liked many of the original policies of the Reds (when they had policies that is - before BKK - and before Thaksin's reuniting with "his" money became the driving goal) - I just wished (and still do) that they can break from the old leadership of TRT. My (probably unrealistic) hope is that come August and the PM is voted into office, it will be a sidelining of the old and someone new (and not an old elite) that takes up the reigns - then perhaps we will see unity and something positive moving forward....and maybe Rahbare Mo'azzame Enghelab Ali Khamenei will convert to Judaism too!

And the relevance of that example to Thailand Today would be...................?

Duh??? The exact thing I stated and you replied to which is a democracy isn't always in the best interest of its people.

candidate 1 = 10%

candidate 2 = 25%

candidate 3 = 5%

candidate 4 = 40%

candidate 5 = 20%

Please tell your math teacher that over 50% isn't the majority and then come back. :rolleyes:

According to Merriam Webster:

http://www.merriam-w...ionary/majority

3. a : a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total

Edited by themockrat

Oh, I remember the celebrations when Obama won. Look at the good ol' USA now - a spiraling out of control country with massive debt, loser wars, abhorrent laws turning into a police state, falling home prices and deep unemployment. Hope became hopeless. Change was a make over. Jeez... and I'm an American that voted for that clown. Let's hope that LOS doesn't descend any further down the trail to oblivion.