Thaksin Calls On All Sides To Respect Vote Outcome

webfact

Thaksin calls on all sides to respect vote outcome

BANGKOK, July 3, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's fugitive ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra called Sunday for all sides to respect the outcome of an election that exit polls suggest has been won by his opposition allies.

"All parties must respect the people's decision otherwise our country cannot achieve peace," the former billionaire telecoms tycoon told Thai broadcaster PBS from Dubai, where he lives in self-imposed exile.

"I think people want to see reconciliation. They want to move forward. Puea Thai (the main opposition party) came up with a clear policy of reconciliation. We will not seek revenge," he added.

The election was the first major electoral test for the elite-backed government since mass protests by Thaksin's "Red Shirt" supporters last year paralysed Bangkok and unleashed the worst political violence in decades.

Puea Thai is set to win 313 seats out of 500, against 152 for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's Democrats, according to a projection by Suan Dusit University. Other exit polls painted a similar picture.

Thaksin's youngest sister Yingluck, 44, is now set to become Thailand's first female prime minister. The telegenic businesswoman is a political novice seen as her brother's proxy and described by Thaksin as his "clone".

"It's a tough job ahead," Thaksin told PBS. "First she must achieve reconciliation, which is crucial for development. Then she must overhaul the economy and bureaucracy which was destroyed in recent years."

Puea Thai has proposed an amnesty for convicted politicians -- a move apparently aimed at bringing Thaksin home. The ex-leader has previously said he hopes to attend his daughter's wedding in Thailand in December.

But many doubt the Bangkok-based elite in government, military and palace circles would allow him to come back as a free man.

Asked about his plans, he said Sunday: "I don't have to return home soon. I can stay here, but I just really want to attend my daughter's wedding. I don't want to cause trouble by returning home."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-03

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course there should be reconciliation.

However, a popularity contest is not relevant to justice. Thaksin must face his accusers for the charges he faces, in a neutral court of law, if he feels his previous trial was biased in some way.

If popularity was how we managed justice, then no celebrity would ever go to jail.

Italy is now learning just how long it takes to get rid of a popular corrupt billionaire leader. let's hope we don't follow the same idiocy.

But many doubt the Bangkok-based elite in government, military and palace circles would allow him to come back as a free man. :whistling:

Asked about his plans, he said Sunday: "I don't have to return home soon. I can stay here, but I just really want to attend my daughter's wedding. :partytime2:

I don't want to cause trouble by returning home." :D

Ya wont mate and congradulations on your sister Yingluck winning the election and becoming the first female Prime Minister in Thailand. :Thaiflag:

Won't be any trouble mate, come on down especially now the Bangkok Elite and the Military really want you back. :welcomeani:

That didn't take long. And what a surprise that he'd want people to respect the outcome -- obviously the man just loves democracy.

The comment from abroad might not have been as speedy if the election had gone differently: and one wonders if the content would have been the same.

"she must overhaul ... bureaucracy which was destroyed in recent years."

not sure, if that's bad translation or is he talking rubbish - governmental bureaucracy, and corruption associated with it, is as strong, as it always was.

Edited by londonthai

He has won, nothing can be done anymore. Just have to see how it goes. If he did not come home or came home and did his time that would help. But he is firm in control now. Maybe things will change.

To be honest i doubt anything will really change just a change of people who are taking the government money.

of course he wants people to respect the vote, his Sister has just got the main vote. It would be a pretty stupid person to ask people not to respect the vote in these circumstances wouldn't it and although Taksin may be many things, stupid isn't one of them!

Edited by Falcon

Thaksin wants reconciliation. Fine. Come home. Go to jail. That would be the beginning of a REAL reconciliation. Not going to happen.

So True! You cannot have respect for an election outcome coming form someone who has no respect for the rule of law. Come do your time in a max security remand prison, then we can see about reconciliation. But we all know that will never happen.

However, a popularity contest is not relevant to justice. Thaksin must face his accusers for the charges he faces, in a neutral court of law, if he feels his previous trial was biased in some way.

If popularity was how we managed justice, then no celebrity would ever go to jail.

Italy is now learning just how long it takes to get rid of a popular corrupt billionaire leader. let's hope we don't follow the same idiocy.

I didn't know celebrities ever went to jail. Well, not a real jail. The ones where they get B***F****d and B***h slapped.

He could compromise for the sake of bringing more peace and unity to his country. He could stay in special, super comfy, jail. I don't think anyone expects to see him at the Hilton. He would still suffer relative to freedom, but he would be doing something important for the future of his country. Of course, he never will.

Sounds like these exit polls are wildly inaccurate, TAN is saying it is still not sure they will will an overall majority. Exit polls also said PT would win 28 of 35 Bkk seats, TAN is now saying Democrats will win the majority of seats in Bkk

often in the exit poll area if they ask people who have voted who they voted for, then there are people nearby who may have made an investment in the choice alistening in; so there is a bit of bias usually (but not always) which in exit polls favours the popularly accepted party.

At least that's what I can recall from my days of consulting on market research to a large political organisation here in Thailand in the past.

He has won, nothing can be done anymore. Just have to see how it goes. If he did not come home or came home and did his time that would help. But he is firm in control now. Maybe things will change.

To be honest i doubt anything will really change just a change of people who are taking the government money.

Although I can't comment on the outcome of the vote, I have to say, when there is a change in government parties, you would be correct.

I have told my wife as long as the government keeps the people uneducated the people will not be able to make intelligent decisions. She agrees. Apparently she knew this before she knew me. She already had 1 daughter in higher education. Now they both are.

That didn't take long. And what a surprise that he'd want people to respect the outcome -- obviously the man just loves democracy.

The comment from abroad might not have been as speedy if the election had gone differently: and one wonders if the content would have been the same.

Nothing to wonder about. It would have been the same. What would have been different is his orders to his troops.

In most countries, a fugitive who has pending sentences awaiting his return would not be considered part of the political system in any way - it is strange that he is in Thailand.

A shrewd businessman, but shocked me to see someone that encouraged his people to rise against the government and protest violently using arms and other weapons now calling for others to respect the decision. One should lead by example, if they wish to be heard clearly.

I sincerely hope that all parties can get down to talking - perhaps a coalition between both the democrats, and the PTP would be beneficial. Perhaps, the formation of a single party whereby decisions are democratically decided by internal votes and a dual leadership of a PTP and Democrat leader (at least at first) to avoid any party bias would help things out.

Both parties have to understand, that until Thailand begins producing higher grade products, it cannot give what it promises (higher wages) and have the country grow at the same time. Im sure the PM of Vietnam, and China can vouch for this. Perhaps making it easier for foreigners to play a part in their own businesses in a less restrictive environment and feeling welcome in the environment they provide to would be a good start.. rather than threatening to confiscate their land and black list them. Perhaps, and only perhaps, then you will see foreigners (not only Farang) bringing their high-end product and know how to the Thai market.

As the old saying goes, the bully can only ever rule the playground, the gangster can only ever rule the streets. Knowledge rules nations.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

Thaksin also saying it will be a PT led coalition regardless of the final outcome.

And how much say do you think coalition partners will have when PT has an outright majority?

Thats what happens when the people of any country support such a land slide.. Great News. Congratulations PT

Edited by KimWright

Although I can't comment on the outcome of the vote, I have to say, when there is a change in government parties, you would be correct.

I have told my wife as long as the government keeps the people uneducated the people will not be able to make intelligent decisions. She agrees. Apparently she knew this before she knew me. She already had 1 daughter in higher education. Now they both are.

Have you noticed he is not interested in educating the Thai's. He is going to buy all the first graders a computer so they will not learn to think they will learn to Google every thing.

I can see it all now.

Teacher What is 2+2

Student Just second while I boot up.:jap:

K. Thaksin calls on all sides to respect vote outcome. He did so around 16:40 today when it was still though PTP would win with a real landslide, 313+ or so.

At the moment expectations have dropped a bit to 251+. May I call on k. Thaksin to remember the words he spoke just two hours ago?

It's all about the 2 parties in their quest for the holy grail (money pot) the Thai people don't matter. However if UDD/PTP win and it brings peace for the UDD and their red shirts then I can happily live with that. At least my hairdresser in Central World won't have to close her shop again.

Seriously a "neutral court of law" in the Thai justice system! The point is not was he corrupt but was he more or less corrupt than anyone else?

It is a known fact that politicians who get power become corrupted over time if they weren't already. Surely corruption is not really the main issue what about a fairer redistribution of national wealth - I have yet to see a regime with the courage to take money from the rich and give it to the poor. I have a belief that no individual can "earn" a fortune only "make" one at other peoples expense and yes I know that applies to the Thaksin family too