Atv'S - Road Legal?

Greetings to all. Would someone like to advise me on the situation with regards to ATV's (All Terrain Vehicles) and the law in Thailand? Recently I have seen quite a few on the roads in Buriram ridden by Thai people and they have no number plate and so therefore I assumes pay no road tax and or insurance. I recently spoke to a young Thai lady driving one in Buriram and she said that she drives it every day in the town but has not been stopped by the police. The model I am looking at is the KONIK RT150ST-A a 150cc one gear bike that whilst not built for speed can certainly cover the ground and it would seem all terrains. My concern is that being a farang if I was to drive the quad around town that I would be a prime suspect to be stopped and booked accordingly by the authorities. I just wondered whether anybody else had ridden one on the public roads and could enlighten me before I proceed with the purchase. Thanks to all those with helpful advice. post-64559-0-73838500-1309749939_thumb.j

ATV/Quads can not be registered in Thaland and thus not road legal. Thats public roads. Can be used off road and on private roads

It is possible to obtain compulsory Insurance, but as it is not road legal, it will not cover

Some even install a plate from another vehicle, often Honda waves, which is punishable with imprisonment 6 months to 5 years

Yep, forget it. If you injure someone with it you will be in very deep doo doo. :huh:

Indeed, involved in fatal accident automaticly requires 200k baht bail. Causing this accident, and its likely you get the blame as its not road legal, can release 10 x 1 million 3rd party, 5 mill baht property claims.

Then your criminal case starts................

Strange, at the rental shop in Pattaya near the Police station they rent several that have plates and tax stickers. :whistling:

ask to see the book, scan and post it and we will tell all about it ;)

my 2006 TMax 500 had a book, it turned out to be 16 year old, a 125cc with 500 engine and new color :unsure:

They have to be road legal ATVs' to be able to drive on Thai roads. Honda does sell an ATV with all documents and plated, you can also import from the US.

Both are costly though, nowhere near the 40,000 THB model you're referring too.

A few years ago when I looked the Honda road legal ATV was close to 200,000

ATV/Quads can not be registered in Thaland and thus not road legal. Thats public roads. Can be used off road and on private roads

It is possible to obtain compulsory Insurance, but as it is not road legal, it will not cover

Some even install a plate from another vehicle, often Honda waves, which is punishable with imprisonment 6 months to 5 years

Not entirely true, however.

"Skylabs", the mode of public transport in Udon, have no plate either.

However, they do have insurance, and can be on public roads, and are insured.

The producer of skylabs in Udon told me that skylabs, for example, are allowed to move around within the city limits.

But that seems to be a decision of the local government.

For example, in Pattaya one is driving around, for 2 years or more already....no problem.

The producer of skylabs in Udon told me that skylabs, for example, are allowed to move around within the city limits.

For example, in Pattaya one is driving around, for 2 years or more already....no problem.

These are non plated by DLT, but each of the isarn provinces accepting them on public roads issue them a local number

post-81971-0-68047700-1309759904_thumb.j

However they are samlors (3 wheelers) as tuk tuks. there are many exceptions in Th to keep the wheels rolling, IOW infrastucture

everything i have read from DLT, says atv/quads can not in any way be road legal/plated, and exceptions not granted as they are toys only

Now if anyone can come up with a book for a atv/quad, I will be happy to admit my info may be dated :)

These are non plated by DLT, but each of the isarn provinces accepting them on public roads issue them a local number

However they are samlors (3 wheelers) as tuk tuks. there are many exceptions in Th to keep the wheels rolling, IOW infrastucture

everything i have read from DLT, says atv/quads can not in any way be road legal/plated, and exceptions not granted as they are toys only

Now if anyone can come up with a book for a atv/quad, I will be happy to admit my info may be dated :)

Have a firend who has one that's the three wheel one in photo above. And they are road legal in Thailand even though they dont have a number plate or tax. They have a registration No: and a blue book all done in BKK by the people that make them in Udon. Take's about three month's to get. And you can insure them through your car insurance company some cheaper than other's. IE one quote he had was 21.000bt he got it done in the end for 6,000bt.Cost for a new one is about 60,000bt with the 150cc lump. Less for the 125cc. I think the email address is www. siamtuktuk.com the lady who sell's them speak's very good English. And can tell you all you need to know. Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Have a firend who has one that's the three wheel one in photo above. And they are road legal in Thailand even though they dont have a number plate or tax. They have a registration No: and a blue book all done in BKK by the people that make them in Udon. Take's about three month's to get. And you can insure them through your car insurance company some cheaper than other's. IE one quote he had was 21.000bt he got it done in the end for 6,000bt.Cost for a new one is about 60,000bt with the 150cc lump. Less for the 125cc. I think the email address is www. siamtuktuk.com the lady who sell's them speak's very good English. And can tell you all you need to know.

yepp, about 60k baht with 150cc Lifan, siamtuktuk dot com

road legal is possibly a far stretch, accepted in some provinces yes, and no problem to call it "road legal", but any road legal vehilce is registered by DLT and issued plates according to use and vehicle group. These are not.

My friend made inquiries with the local police before he got it just to make sure. That was in K.P.Phet province. Reply from them ok no problem but that they would like him to insure it, just incase he had an accident. That was because as it was not taxed, there would be no automatic government one. He's had it for nearly two year's now use's it ever day, and never been stopped. Rule's what rule's, I think they make it up as they go along. TIT. By the way he'sa farang

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

In Nan Province,im now told by the owner of one that looks road worthy,and New from Big C for 200K,he has it recorded as a Farm Vehicle like his Thailan as they call them here.Seems to be up to the Province.Its great fun 250 cc,lights are better than a Sportivo,so is the handling, had fantastic 15 mins blast round his fields,thank you O.P..without your post,id never have bothered.

My friend made inquiries with the local police before he got it just to make sure. That was in K.P.Phet province. Reply from them ok no problem but that they would like him to insure it, just incase he had an accident. That was because as it was not taxed, there would be no automatic government one. He's had it for nearly two year's now use's it ever day, and never been stopped. Rule's what rule's, I think they make it up as they go along. TIT. By the way he'sa farang

agree, rules and laws are to be ignored in some provinces, as infrastructure/transportation is more important. The fact it had no annual road tax tells me, yes its ok in this town or province, but not legal according to law

agree, rules and laws are to be ignored in some provinces, as infrastructure/transportation is more important. The fact it had no annual road tax tells me, yes its ok in this town or province, but not legal according to law

I hear what your saying but if it wasn't let's say allowed on the road how did he get it insured. Which he has by the way and got a No: 1 set up. But as TIT up to them I suppose.

Then you've got those crazy three legged thing's that they are just supposed to use in a market belting around all over the place. No light, indicator's, tax, licence, well bugger all, and they are never stopped. As I said before they make it up as they go along. Getting back to the OP we have several new one's of those flying about in our town. And they all seem to have red plate's. I will try and stop one and get the s/p on there set up and put a post in, but as yet I alway's seem's to be going the wrong way.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...

Any updates would be appreciated. 

My lady is currently buying an ATV.

They are local built and manufactured. 

Being an automotive engineer I personally cannot see much that would render non compliant. 

I read that they can be insured already. 

Local jurisdiction dependant. 

So if anyone can bring me up to speed on the process, would be appreciated. 

Probably brakes, lights, steering, indicators, warning device  etc. 

Edited by dallen52

Hi All, I have owned a Daihatsu 600 cc samlor here in Pattaya for 10 years.

Firstly you need a driving license for a tuk tuk, needs a reverse gear so you can complete the test by reversing app 25 meters.

Have polar bor insurance only, now not so many companies will insure as no number plate or registered, present insurance company goes by chassis number and paperwork issued when I bought the machine.

Have tried numerous occasions to register , told not possible unless maybe you are Hotel or such other.

Paid around 75000 baht, in Bangkok could have bought new from manufacturer for 300000 Baht registered.

In the past 10 years have been stopped around 5 times driving around Pattaya and traveling to Chonburi and Rayong, told not legal, but I do have the license  insurance and some documentation which the police are surprised to see, fined between 200 and 400 baht each occasion.    

Thank you

Regards Tom