3Bb Using Proxy Server

sulasno

Are you doing the parent control thing with open dns and the sites are still working and not blocked.? Make sure your dns list has only the open dns numbers they gave for this. Otherwise it might fall down the list and contact the other dns sites such as 3bb's dns server and resolve the address with them and bypass the open dns block. At least that is one possible.

It depends on the system you may be getting dns set in the router or in the PC. You need to google the OS's dns setup method and then check the router dns set-up.

On my IpStar modem which is a router - if I leave just open dns listed that is all it will use even if I change the PC's dns so that might be the best place to lock in the dns for filtering as the whole lan network would be locked into that dns.. In order for me to have a range of dns choices I have to maintain a list on the router and then set the PC to one of the listed - if not on that list the one I setup in the PC will default to the top of the routers list of dns but will still show the one I selected as the dns on the PC. Other routers modem might work differantly.

This also means that 3bb could have done the same in one of its routers some where - but you have to know your own set up first is good to determine that.

To verify that you are using OpenDNS servers for DNS lookups, please go to the following instructions according to your computer's operating system.

Windows

To verify that you are using OpenDNS servers for DNS lookups, from your computer running Windows, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Windows Start menu.
  2. Choose Run…
  3. In the Open: text box, type cmd. This opens the Windows terminal window.
  4. In the terminal window, after the prompt, type nslookup www.opendns.com.. (Be sure to include the trailing period after ".com.".) The results should look like the following:

Server: resolver1.opendns.com or resolver2.opendns.com

Address: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.opendns.com

Address: xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa

If the line including "Server" shows resolver1.opendns.com or resolver2.opendns.com and the associated IP addresses 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220, respectively, then you are using OpenDNS for DNS lookups.

following the above instructions, I see 3BB's servers being displayed

If you know the PC is set for open dns then see if you can get into the router - is it provided by 3bb? There may be a way to pass thou the dns or change the current dns list in the router. You may have to include the isp in getting this fixed. I don't know if they have the password or even which type modem but it could be set to there dns by default. I assume dns is manual set up mode on the PC and not in auto mode as well. I ran the cmd in my vertual xp and it comes back open dns but the OS is set to it manual mode and it is on my Modem/router list of dns servers which total 8 possible choices. I know from a mistake I made in the past that if that list has only one dns ip then it would be the only one used no matter what I asked for. There might be a way to bridge that and only use what is asked for from the PC. IpStar with ToT

If the only dns on both the router and the PC are set to open dns and it still resolves at 3bb then isp is going to have to change that - I don't know why they would want to be exclusive or how they are doing it. I would guess the best set up for you would be the router with password that way they can't change it and parent control filtering at open dns can't be bypassed by just changing the connection setup on the PC but that can be locked to the user also.