Penang (tourist Visa) > Departing Nov1

I've just returned from the shixhole of the world - India. Well, the North was fantastic but when I returned to the South, same on b.s. and filthy to boot.

So now, I'm stuck running for visas this season instead of making in US. Can someone provide the following:

Where do I catch the minibus in Hat Yai (I forget). The same street Cathy GH and bus to Padang Besar? How Much (b200??)? About 4 hrs, yes? On the return, minibus from any guesthouse on Chulia.

What bus do I get from Chulia to Thai Embassy? Bus from Komtar? What's the trick about getting the bus back, I recall waiting so long I just walked back. Thanks.

Has the form changed in the last few years? I have a few blanks.

Is it possible for Americans to get hassle free triples? I rec'd a triple in states last year very quickly. I don't want to press my luck or have to come back again next day. Would they just issue a double and refund the balance?

How long is turnaround. One day as I recall. Don't arrive on holidays.

Consulate opens @ what time? 9am?

Price for visa - 2mo Tourist = B1000?

Any place for a cheap beer these days around Chulia, Malaysia is so pricey.

I'm doing this Nov1 so if any newbie needs a hand - happy to help. Already have OW ticket BKK-HTI

Many thanks - H5n1

Cant help on the bus front but why dont you use an agent to go to the Consulate for you (200 baht for the service) they/ll also have the best chance of getting you a triple or at least tell you whats available.............Parvez bookshop are ok as agents outside the Swiss Hotel on Chulia.

Dont know about opening time but Consulate closes at lunchtime...............turnaround time is .....passport in one morning and back the following afternoon 2pm ish.

If you can stretch the budget a bit try the Hotel Continental on Jalan Penang about 850 baht/night but worth it (inc. breakfast.......last time i was there)............across the road from the Continental there are a few watering holes for you.

When the dude goes to Penang, he picks up a shovel from Komtar hardware 1st before heading to Parvez Bookstore. He will need the shovel cause he too digs that agent. The dude will then scrap his shovel as he does not dig any local bussing in area. You can grab mini bus from Parvez or whoever to Hat Yai. I seem to recall that mini bus back to Hat Yai was not the same nice 200 baht price as the trip in. Cheap brewskis the dude can't help you with and agrees that there is a priceyness factor in Malaisia that is most undiggable

When the dude goes to Penang, he picks up a shovel from Komtar hardware 1st before heading to Parvez Bookstore

Just returned from a trip to Penang. Big sale on shovels at the Parkson at Prangin Mall. No tuk-tuks in Penang so the dude may need to procure the services of pedicab transport for his shovels. Was disappointed that I did not encounter any of the Penang seediness that was promised a while back in another thread. :o

I've just returned from the shixhole of the world - India. Well, the North was fantastic but when I returned to the South, same on b.s. and filthy to boot.

So now, I'm stuck running for visas this season instead of making in US. Can someone provide the following:

Where do I catch the minibus in Hat Yai (I forget). The same street Cathy GH and bus to Padang Besar? How Much (b200??)? About 4 hrs, yes? On the return, minibus from any guesthouse on Chulia.

What bus do I get from Chulia to Thai Embassy? Bus from Komtar? What's the trick about getting the bus back, I recall waiting so long I just walked back. Thanks.

Has the form changed in the last few years? I have a few blanks.

Is it possible for Americans to get hassle free triples? I rec'd a triple in states last year very quickly. I don't want to press my luck or have to come back again next day. Would they just issue a double and refund the balance?

How long is turnaround. One day as I recall. Don't arrive on holidays.

Consulate opens @ what time? 9am?

Price for visa - 2mo Tourist = B1000?

Any place for a cheap beer these days around Chulia, Malaysia is so pricey.

I'm doing this Nov1 so if any newbie needs a hand - happy to help. Already have OW ticket BKK-HTI

Many thanks - H5n1

For a mini bus to Penang there are a few places opposite the train station in Hat Yai, i haven't done the run for about 18 months now but the price varied between 200bt and 400bt, depending on your haggling skills. It takes 3-4 hours, depending on the driver, not usually any stops outward but usually stop at a duty free shop inbound to Thailand. One word of warning, if the driver says there is a 20bt or something 'border charge' ignore it, there isnt. It's a scam, the 'fee' is for him to go get your passport stamped. It's only 20bt ish but it's the principle of it, just a scam.

For a mini bus to Penang there are a few places opposite the train station in Hat Yai

Speaking of the train station, if you don't mind taking some extra time getting to Penang from Hat Yai, there is an afternoon Malaysian train that departs Hat Yai at 14:50 (the Langkawi Ekspres, train EL7). Second class fare from Hat Yai to Butterworth is 19 ringgit.

Speaking of trains to Butterworth, etc., I need to go to Penang or Kota Bahur by November 1, and I live in Hua Hin. I think I'll take the overnight Thai train south, and ride the train that goes to Butterworth. I assume that train arrives in Hua Hin late by at least 30 minutes, and probably several hours more to Butterworth. Scheduled arrival in Butterworth, something like noon or 2 pm, probably much later. So, if I arrive on Sunday PM, and the consulate in Penang opens on Monday AM (not this weekend, Chulalongkorn holiday, but next week), how do I get to the consulate? I have the street address.

Days-wise, if I arrive Sunday at PM, that means I get the visa back on Tuesday afternoon, and take the next train back to Hua Hin - right?

I'm going for a multiple entry O based on having 200K in a Thai bank. Next question: is my bank passbook and a Sunday afternoon bank slip good enough, or does the branch bank in Hua Hin need to write some letter that they may not know how to write?

Last question: the mutliple entry O from Penang consulate - is it likely to be for 3 months, 6, or 12?

PeaceBlondie.............if you go down on the International Express you/ll arrive in Butterworth about lunchtime as you state...........book a bottom bunk on the train they are slightly wider and have a window.

I/d advise you to use an agent in Georgetown to sort your visa out, they only charge 200 baht and i think its money well spent..............if you arrive Sunday take your passport to them on the afternoon and they/ll take it to the Consulate first thing Monday morning.

As you also state you/ll get your passport back Tuesday p.m.............problem is if you are coming back on the sleeper you wont have time to get the ferry back to Butterworth to catch the train, so plan on coming back Wednesday afternoon.

I/d get a letter from the bank just to be on the safe side...............if you use an agent they/ll tell you exactly whats available visa wise for you.

Heres the train details for you...............you/ll notice the return train leaves Butterworth at 14.10pm hence the problem.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore

One last thing the sleeper is the #35 going down and #36 coming back.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Nobody using the 200k passbook has mentioned a bank letter so do not believe that is a requirement.

Agree that using one of the services is cost effective as the Consulate is in a residential area and if you have not been there could be hard to find. If you take taxi you will spend the agent fee anyhow.

The train may not yet be late at Hua Hin - it is further South that the poor roadbed and delays cause delay. I would not count on getting train same day you receive visa. I have done it when Consulate opened at 1300 and train was the normal hour or so late but do not believe you would make it these days.

A multi entry will be valid for 12 months.

I always tried to return to Hat Yai and spend the night there - or return on 24 seat VIP bus if in a hurry. There is bus and share taxi service from the bus station in Butterworth next to ferry/train station and also van service from various locations in Georgetown.