Getting To Vientienne

have to go to laos tommorrow from bangkok.-- vientienne to get a b visa. I am going to take a night bus from mochit to nong kai,,, then into vientienne,,,, then on the way back 3 days later -from vientienne ,to the bridge then to nong kai to bangkok.... my question is about the short incidentals . from nong kai to the border what is the the best way tuk? - i heard there is a shuttle bus to the bridge or across the bridge - i heard you can actually walk also. then how to get to thai immigration and or the center of town by the river. then on the way back - from vientienne to the bridge and to nong kai ... does anyone know the bus numbers or where you catch the buses,,,,just trying to avoid tuks , taxis as much as possible - can't stand getting ripped off, especially because I am paying for a visa run that my school should have already taken care of ( took me ages to get them on the program and now I dont have enough time left to convert in country. thanks for any advise you can give. Michael

Nong Khai bus station to bridge - 50/60 baht TukTuk

Bridge probably 2k's in length - shuttle bus 20 baht

Laos Border to Vientiane - 15k - shared TukTuk - 100 baht

Nong Khai has a structured price for TukTuk

All very civilized - do it regular jap.gif

Nong Khai bus station to bridge - 50/60 baht TukTuk

Bridge probably 2k's in length - shuttle bus 20 baht

Laos Border to Vientiane - 15k - shared TukTuk - 100 baht

Nong Khai has a structured price for TukTuk

All very civilized - do it regular jap.gif

This is correct and if you are citicen of Japan, the Republic of Korea, Russia, Luxembourg, Switzerland or some Asean countries, no visa needed and no fees otherwise depend on your country approx 30 US-$ (to pay in US-$)

http://www.laosvisas.com/laos-visa-news/Lao-Visa-Exemption/

You can not cross the bridge by walking, only shuttle buss from one side to the other cost only 10B if i am correct

JDG

was 20b last Friday & saw someone walking

Just as an extra - if you have to get entry visa into Laos, try to buy $ at one of the 2 money exchanges at border - if you pay in baht = 1600 baht - I converted last Friday & my visa Laos visa cost me 1280 baht leaving 320 baht for........................ something else in Thailand - 6 small beers whistling.gif

You can not cross the bridge by walking, only shuttle buss from one side to the other cost only 10B if i am correct

JDG

Just as an extra - if you have to get entry visa into Laos, try to buy $ at one of the 2 money exchanges at border - if you pay in baht = 1600 baht - I converted last Friday & my visa Laos visa cost me 1280 baht leaving 320 baht for........................ something else in Thailand - 6 small beers whistling.gif

you can walk to the middle of the bridge and then must return.. but again i could be wrong the last time is some time ago..

you are correct about the $ buy dollars here and pay your visa with it..

jdg

Edited by jdg

JDG

you can walk to the middle of the bridge and then must return.. but again i could be wrong the last time is some time ago..

you are correct about the $ buy dollars here and pay your visa with it..

jdg

Curiosity - why would anyone want to walk to middle of bridge after exiting either country - makes no sense at all especially if leaving Thailand as you cannot re-enter without Laos stamp & visa jap.gif

It is called pictures beside two flags in the middle of a bridge.

Trust me I never did it but hey we are not all the same :rolleyes:

maybe they were walking for/to pictures then blink.gif I cannot remember in which direction I was going but.................................... just as well were not all the same, Thailand would be overcrowded ohmy.gif

I would take the train from the Nong Khai side to Laos side. Immigration is so much faster even though you all turn up in one big group. Then you can take a tuk tuk for 80,000 kip or 300 bht to the embassy. It's easier, trust me.

JDG

Actually the official price for a Lao visa in tbh depends on your nationality, for me it has always been 1500 baht or.. 35 Usd. These are official prices for at least the last 6 years. Then there might also be an overtime fee and a photo fee, but I usually only pay 1500 or 35 Usd, however mostly the latter, as I can't be bothered to go to an exchange halfway across town, as not all borders between Thailand and Laos have a convenient currency exchange.

By the way, taxi's are good value in Laos, and you can even get a metered taxi nowadays, price is about 250 baht, which isn't too bad.

Edited by sjaak327