Khao Lak Map / Before The Tsunmai

Duangta

The best (free) map available for the Khao Lak area with almost all the locations of Hotels and Resorts clearly marked as before the 26th04

We are gearing up for a "1st" season here in the greater Khao Lak area and while surfing the Net about some news, information and predictions (about the amount of people coming), I found this highly recommendable website with an astonishing map project.

www.khaolakmap.com

A question: Does anybody know why so much swedish press is coming to Khao Lak at the end of this month?

A question: Does anybody know why so much swedish press is coming to Khao Lak at the end of this month?

never been there b4 .. but try to guess..but IMO

swedish is richy europian

- classy people just love private place/beach ..Khao Lak is pretty expensive place and private ... not much people go there .. just new destination , and just boom(few yrs ago)

maybe im wrong :o

Dave... I can assure you, Khao Lak region was wrecked and many parts still are.

However, there has been a great recovery effort by the locals and the larger hotels to re-build. I'm glad your friends are enjoying their stay. The area needs more people like them to visit and restore the economic and spiritual recovery.

In the meantime, the global press will continue to take an interest in what is being done to restore the region. :o

However, there has been a great recovery effort by the locals and the larger hotels to re-build. I'm glad your friends are enjoying their stay. The area needs more people like them to visit and restore the economic and spiritual recovery.

In the meantime, the global press will continue to take an interest in what is being done to restore the region.  :D

I know that but you made it sound as if the whole place was still wrecked :o

Well... have you been there yourself? If you do a drive-by, it does still look a little grim. Most of the rebuilt resorts are off the highway and the main centre of Khao Lak and other smaller centres definitely have that recently-devasted-but-on the-mend-feel-and-look about them. :o

In the meantime, the global press will continue to take an interest in what is being done to restore the region.  :D

I know that but you made it sound as if the whole place was still wrecked :o

Dave, a huge amount of Khao Lak is still a mess. I went there last week to see how it was coming along. To be honest, I was shocked. The Merlin resort appears to have not been touched since the tsunami - apart from the remaining tiles being removed from the shattered buildings:

January 21 2005:

b4r5pn.jpg

October 13 2005:

a4r3gm.jpg

Some buildings were clearly not touched:

January 21 2005:

b3r5wt.jpg

October 13 2005:

a3r4jv.jpg

The beach at Khao Lak was difficult to get to as there's is so much re-building work going on there. There was a big sign at the main entrance saying "No entry - builders only" - or something like that (it was in Thai) - so I couldn't get in to take any pictures.

At another part of the beach the old buildings have been demolished, but nothing yet has been built. This is the old Khao Lak Shopping Bazaar - nothing there:

khaolak1wm.jpg

The busiest place appeared to be the Tsunami Volunteer Centre:

tsunvolimg06648qc.jpg

Dave, a huge amount of Khao Lak is still a mess. I went there last week to see how it was coming along. To be honest, I was shocked. The Merlin resort appears to have not been touched since the tsunami - apart from the remaining tiles being removed from the shattered buildings
The pics you have put on under you statement are not from Merlin Resort. I have been down to Merlin (our direct neighbour) many times and spoke to the Manager. Merlin Resort was never closed, the Thai Army Officers had their headquarter there and yesterday (on my last visit) it was in prestine condition, except the new Parlour on the beach. I assume that the pics you show here are from Emerald, Briza or Seagull, the neighboring resorts north of Merlin. Merlin is as I said completely restored. As are some other beach front resorts like Similana, Sarojin, La Flora, etc.
The beach at Khao Lak was difficult to get to as there's is so much re-building work going on there. There was a big sign at the main entrance saying "No entry - builders only" - or something like that (it was in Thai) - so I couldn't get in to take any pictures.

The beach in Khao Lak (Nang Thong Beach) is not difficult to get to. Gerd&Noi Bungalows, Nang Thong 1 Resort, Seaview and some others are rebuilding or are open already. The sign you mention is on one of the small sideroads to the beach that is closed. Just take the main road, that turns down at the Nang Thong Supermarket and you can get there unhindered.

I stronlgy recomend to post news about the situation in Khao Lak only if you have hard fact info or live here and not news gathered on a drive-by shooting.

I will post my question here again, if anybody knows why the biggest three swedish TV channels are in Khao lak on the 28th of October? Of course we do have press here constantly, but there must be something special coming up.

Thanx

The pics you have put on under you statement are not from Merlin Resort...

This is all very strange. This is the sign on the main road, at the end of the track that leads to the beach where I took the pictures:

merlinimg06574dh.jpg

Do you know where this sign is? Is this the same Merlin resort that you are referring to?

...Do you know where this sign is? Is this the same Merlin resort that you are referring to?

Still waiting for a response. I'd like to clear this matter up because if the Merlin is open, I'd like to know where it is. If it is on the beach, then it must be nestling amongst several shattered resorts.

If the sign is not where the Merlin is, why is the sign there? After the tsunami, there weren't many signs left to identify any resort, so this sign was my identification of the Merlin - and the pictures I showed were of the buildings either side of the road to the beach leading from that sign.

Come on Duangta, give us some answers please?

Hi,

my name is Heinrich, I am the Coordinator of the "German Tsunami Archiv"

b4r5pn.jpg

- Pool of the Seagul Andaman Resort

- right side: NW bungalow of the Seagul Andaman Resort

- Background, left and center of the picture, buildings with red roofs: The 5 south Luxus Villas of "The Briza"

a4r3gm.jpg

- right side: South Luxus Villas of "The Briza

- left side in the background: North Luxus Villas of "The Briza"

- Picture position is the area of the Seagul Andaman Resort from the beachside

- Direction: to the NE

b3r5wt.jpg

- South side of the Main building of the Seagul Andaman Resort

- in the background: second bungalow from left of the north bungalows of the Seagul Andaman Resort

- Direction: to the North

Sign of the Merlin Resort

merlinimg06574dh.jpg

I have a second picture of this sign

60.JPG

Originalfoto - Vergrößern

Richard Scheib - August 2005

Foto 34-54-60

Please look at this map

49.JPG

khaolak1wm.jpg

- Khao Lak Shopping Bazzar

- right side: Main building of the Baan Khao Lak Resort

Regards

Heinrich

Edited by Tsunami Archiv

Hi

some links to pictures

Khao Lak Beach

Merlin, Emerald, Seagul Andaman Resort and "The Briza"

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/board.php?boardid=89&sid

Khao Lak damage report - 5.000 Khao Lak pictures, before and after

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/board.php?boardid=62&sid

Khao Lak forum

Investigations, Eye-witness reports, Tsunami pictures, Videos

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/board.php?boardid=29&sid

New Khao Lak

Open resorts, restaurants, shops, attractions, national parks, pictures of 2005

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/board.php?boardid=99&sid

Open resorts

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/board....boardid=112&sid

Tsunami Benefiz Video DVD

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...readid=1141&sid

17 Minute Video of Klaus Hertwig

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...hreadid=957&sid

Regards

Heinrich

[email protected]

Edited by Tsunami Archiv

Heinrich, thank you very much for the information you have given in your two posts. It is now clear that the original photos that I took immediately after the tsunami - of buildings either side of the road leading to the beach from the "Merlin" sign - were not of the "Merlin Resort" itself. At that time there were no other signs or even boundary walls to indicate that these buildings belonged to different resorts, so in January this year I posted them all under the name "Merlin". It is now clear from the information you have given that these resorts were - as indicated in your map - the "Seagull Andaman Resort" and the "Emerald Resort". I will go back to those posts later and correct them.

When I took the original photos I did not see any road leading further south past the "Emerald Resort" to the "Merlin Resort". What I would like to do - at some time in the future - is go back to Khao Lak and try to find the "Merlin" as I believe I should now post pictures of the restored resort.

I would also like to thank you for creating such an excellent tsunami archive web site. I have already looked through some of the pages and the story here ( http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...9c97a78314c13de ) I found particulary touching. It is the story of a broken digital camera found washed up on a beach after the tsunami, and of the pictures of the wave that it had inside it.

Thanks again Heinrich for your posts.

I would also like to thank you for creating such an excellent tsunami archive web site. I have already looked through some of the pages and the story here ( http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...9c97a78314c13de ) I found particulary touching. It is the story of a broken digital camera found washed up on a beach after the tsunami, and of the pictures of the wave that it had inside it.

Thanks again Heinrich for your posts.

I concur 100%. This is an excellent website, full of incredible pictures. You can feel the power of the waves in the pictures, the shock of the damage done, and the sorrow of the people afterward.

A great effort, Heinrich. Thanks from me also.

Ditto that, and Thank you, well done Heinrich, Great Job.

Side comment, Heinrich, thank you for posting my work also on your webpage from "Tsunami - Phang-nga - Khao Lak - 53 Days Later" and I have since updated it with "& 6 Months Later". They moved that Red Car by the way.

Thank you once again.

Yours truly,

Win

La Flora owner lashes out at govt, TAT

KHAO LAK: The Minister of Interior, ACM Kongsak Wantana, said yesterday that he was proud of the speed with which Thailand was recovering from last December’s tsunami.

Speaking at the reopening of the 200-million-baht La Flora Resort & Spa, which originally opened the day before the tsunami, the Minister said, “After inspecting many places [in Thailand] affected by the tsunami I can say that most have improved significantly, and faster than in other countries [hit by the waves].”

But Sompong Daowpiset, La Flora’s owner and Chairman of the Hago Group, the Thailand agent for Grohe plumbing products, had harsh words for the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), accusing it if being unfair and of spending its tsunami rehabilitation budget everywhere except Khao Lak.

“We’re like the son of the mia noi [minor wife],” he told the Gazette. “There has been no promotion [of Khao L ak] and we have had to get back on our feet with no help.

“We still have accommodation available for tourists,” he added, pointing out that those who did come to stay at the resort seemed to enjoy it. “One couple originally wanted to stay here just one night but, as it turns out, they have been here more than eight nights now,” he said.

The resort, on six rai of land, has 70 rooms. K. Sompong said that all the pool villas and lower buildings were damaged by the tsunami. Only the 18 rooms on the third floor were undamaged.

Thanks to the height of the building only five people were killed in the hotel, though some guests who were on the beach, including a grandson of HM the King, Khun Bhumi Jensen, also died in the waves.

Adding to the misery of the tsunami were the looters who came after, K. Sompong said. “Our rooms were robbed because we had no guards to protect them – they were scared of ghosts, not only at my hotel bu t at all the hotels here.”

However, he continues to look on the bright side, he said. “I’m not scared of investing and I keep telling my staff that although this year may not be good, next year and the year after will be better.

“I have bought eight more rai next to the hotel and plan to build a spa and other facilities for our guests. Construction will start next week,” he said, adding, “Tsunamis don’t happen often. I believe the tourists will return.”

One thing that does concern him, he said, is that there is still no sign of a tsunami warning system being built for Khao Lak.

“I don’t see any warning system being built. The government said that it would be finished by December but I seen nothing now. A lot of travel agents ask about safety here.

“Grohe in Germany donated 2 million baht for the warning system in Khao Lak many months ago but we are still waiting,” he added.

The Minister comme nted, “We expect that the warning systems for every place [affected by the tsunami] will be finished in March, although Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would like to see it all finished by this December.

“The reason it is taking so long is the large number of organizations that are involved,” he said.

The Phuket Gazette, 16th October 2005

Meridien Khao Lak owner raps TAT

KHAO LAK: The owner of another leading Khao Lak resort has backed the opinions of La Flora owner Sompong Daowpiset over the lack of support the resort area has received from the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) since the tsunami.

Speaking just after the reopening of his Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort on Friday, ML Vitya Chakrabandhu told the Gazette that he felt the government and banks had generally been supportive.

But he was critical of the TAT. “I hate to say this,” he said, “but I don’t think they have the proper people.

“I think they have tried to do a good job, but they need to find a good advertising agency. They need to find an international firm that understands the international market and can [promote Thailand] tastefully,” he said.

Le Meridien Khao Lak was seriously damaged by the tsunami, losing 100 of its 250 rooms, along with all back-of-house operations, restaurants, accounting and kitchens. ML Vitya himself lost a daughter in the disaster.

After the waves withdrew, much of the resort and its gardens were left covered with sand as much as 1.5 meters deep, and the 30-rai lake from which the resort draws its water was also filled with sand and contaminated with seawater.

Removing the sand was the most difficult part of the recovery operation, ML Vitya said.

The reopening of La Flora and Le Meridien brings the number of operational guest rooms in the Khao Lak area to about 1,700, compared with some 7,000 before the tsunami.

Le Meridien is the area’s largest resort, and the only one with significant conference facilities. It will get larger in the future, too. ML Vitya said that the 180-rai site is large enough to allow future expansion to 620 rooms.

The Phuket Gazette 25th October 2005

Come on Duangta, give us some answers please?

Sorry for not replying earlier, I haven't been on the Internet for some days, more into pulling wires, connecting pipes, painting, building....

Heinrich's comments explain it fully I'd say.

I still remember the beach at Merlin Resort from 5 years ago, when there was only the old village of Khao Lak and the cheap "Khao Lak Beach Bungalows" (long gone). - There was an old abandoned house, sourrounded by Palm trees and Bamboo, 30m from the beach .... :D

Thanks to Axel (www.khaolakmap.com) I also found out about the Press meeting in Khao Lak! Gracias!

It's what we figured as well: it will be for the caverage of a "quiet" memorial. Some other nations, orgs, people do or think about doing the same: A quiet memorial before the anniversary - that just happened to be, sad as it is, on christmas. Which could be seen as not the best day to air the tsunami pictures in full swing again. Some of the journalists will stay in Phuket, but we have two teams staying with us again.

I live and work approx. 800m south of the Merlin resort (and there is nothing betwen us but Rubbertappers, Bamboo and Boulders on the Beach). Poseidon

P.S.

Maybe a hopeful indicator for the situation in Khao Lak at the moment might be the fact that we now have two Live-Music Bars (1 outdoor, 1 indoor) in 100m distance from each other in Ban La on (Happy Snapper and Freestyle). Never been before.

:D:D:o:D

Hi,

thank you for your comments to my homepage. I am happy about your comments :o

Khao Lak printed map

This thread started with a link to Axel von Matern´s homepage of the Khao Lak map. I am the coproducer of this map. Axel and I worked together since months on this map. Now, we do a high quality printed map of Khao Lak. Please look at Axels homepage if you are interested to order a printed map. There is a order page.

http://www.khaolakmap.com

1.JPG

Cover of the map

map_XXXL.jpg

Preview picture of the printed map. Original size: 42 x 60 cm

We will do a map of the new Khao Lak with all new resorts, restaurants and shops for the next season 2006/2007. Sorry, but it was not enouth time to do it for this season.

Khao Lak interactive satellite maps

We collect all datas of the resorts, restaurants, shops, dive center and other points of interest in this interactive maps. Click on the name of the restaurant or resort, and you see the picture series of this point. New and old Khao Lak in one map.

Nang Thong

http://www.radarheinrich.de/tsunamiarchiv/...ong-satmap.html

Bang Niang

http://www.radarheinrich.de/tsunamiarchiv/...ang-satmap.html

All maps (click on "Interaktive Satellitenkarte" of the area you want to look at.)

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...hreadid=490&sid

@Duangta

I never heard something about a "Freestyle Bar". Please show me the position of the Freestyle in this maps. Thanks

@RDN

Thank you for your pictures. This pictures are hosted on imageshack. Do you have a link to the gallery or the guest password to the gallery. Do you have more pictures? Your pictures are interesting for me. Is it possible to see them all? Please send me a e-mail [email protected]

This is the crossroad to the Merlin Resort.

13.jpg

- Position: Crossroad at the Seagull Andaman and the Emerald Resort

- Direction: to the south

- right side: Emerald Resort

- left side in the background behind the trees: Merlin Resort

Picture 11-13

The Merlin Resort is difficult to see from the crossroad because of the high trees.

39.jpg

- same position, looking to southeast, to the highway

- left side: road to the highway

- right side: road to the Merlin Resort

Picture 11-39

12.jpg

- same position, looking to the west, to the beach

- left side: Emerald Resort

- right side: Seagul Andaman Resort

Picture 11-12

15.jpg

- nearly the same position like the other pictures, some meters to the west

- looking to northwest

- left side: crossroad (this is not the same crossroad like on the first three pictures!)

- left side in the background: Seagul Andaman Resort

- right side: The Briza Beach Resort

@Win

Nice to meet you in this forum. The world is a small village. :D

Thank you for your new pictures. I´ll publish them and send you the links. Great pics, great quality

Interesting picture series of Khao Lak

Paul Ruegg, owner of the destroyed Jasmin Resort took 650 pictures of Khao Lak in July 2005. Most of all resorts

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...readid=1288&sid

Paul is in Khao Lak now. He will do a complete October picture coverage of Khao Lak. We publish this series in two weeks. The weather is bad in Khao Lak the last day, we hope, the rain stopps for three days to take the pictures

Thomas Janosi took 850 pictures of Khao Lak in May/June 2005. Resorts, restaurants, shops, highwaypics

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...readid=1417&sid

The next step in the Khao Lak forum

In the last weeks, we collected thausands of Khao Lak pictures and videos before the tsunami. All buildings, all areas, all dates (1995 - 2004). We need some time to publish them. It is a historical picture series of Khao Lak. The old Khao Lak never comes back, we want to show the old "Beauty" and we want to save this pictures for future generations.

Greetings

Heinrich

Edited by Tsunami Archiv

Hi,

thank you for your comments to my homepage. I am happy about your comments  :o

Khao Lak printed map

This thread started with a link to Axel von Matern´s homepage of the Khao Lak map. I am the coproducer of this map. Axel and I worked together since months on this map. Now, we do a high quality printed map of Khao Lak. Please look at Axels homepage if you are interested to order a printed map. There is a order page.

http://www.khaolakmap.com

We will do a map of the new Khao Lak with all new resorts, restaurants and shops for the next season 2006/2007. Sorry, but it was not enouth time to do it for this season.

I downloaded the .pdf file last night - it is excellent.

Khao Lak interactive satellite maps

We collect all datas of the resorts, restaurants, shops, dive center and other points of interest in this interactive maps. Click on the name of the restaurant or resort, and you see the picture series of this point. New and old Khao Lak in one map.

Nang Thong

http://www.radarheinrich.de/tsunamiarchiv/...ong-satmap.html

Bang Niang

http://www.radarheinrich.de/tsunamiarchiv/...ang-satmap.html

All maps (click on "Interaktive Satellitenkarte" of the area you want to look at.)

http://www.radarheinrich.de/wbblite/thread...hreadid=490&sid

Good idea!

@RDN

Thank you for your pictures. This pictures are hosted on imageshack. Do you have a link to the gallery or the guest password to the gallery. Do you have more pictures?

I have lots of pictures - most not on ImageShack. The ones on ImageShack are reduced quality and size.

Your pictures are interesting for me. Is it possible to see them all? Please send me a e-mail [email protected]

I'll email you about them. Maybe I can zip them up and send them as emails?

Regards,

Roger.

@Duangta

I never heard something about a "Freestyle Bar". Please show me the position of the Freestyle in this maps. Thanks

I guess there will be many changes coming to the Khao Lak map; re- and new-building is in full swing. Seadragon Dive Center for example will move their location to the north of Ban La on aswell; in 2006 they will be neighbours of Freestyle.

Freestyle is a newly opened semi-outdoor Bar/Restaurant/Pub with bonfire, live music and draft beer.

On the map from Axel it is roughly opposite Andaburi Resort, the location is still marked with "Snowman Restaurant". It is roughly the same spot, snowman doesn't exist anymore.

Regards

@Duangta

Freestyle is a newly opened semi-outdoor Bar/Restaurant/Pub with bonfire, live music and draft beer.

On the map from Axel it is roughly opposite Andaburi Resort, the location is still marked with "Snowman Restaurant". It is roughly the same spot, snowman doesn't exist anymore.

Thank you for this informations. I changed the name of this bar. I have a picture of the old Snowman Restaurant.

3.JPG

Original Picture

Foto 28-8-3

@RDN

Thanks a lot for your high resolution pictures. I published them in my forum. They are mixed with other pictures. Please look at the picture numbers. Your pictures have the numbers "Picture 34-71-xx"

- Laguna Resort - Northwest Building

- Laguna Resort - Reception

- Laguna Resort - Northeast Building

- Laguna Resort - South Building

- Laguna Resort - Garden, Pool and Bungalow Area

- Laguna Resort - Beach Area

- Baan Khao Lak Resort

- Khao Lak Shopping Bazaar

- Seagul Andaman Resort

- The Briza Beach Resort - Luxus Villas

- Emerald Resort

- Emerald Resort - Beachfront Bungalows

- Merlin Resort - Beachfront Bungalows

40.JPG

Original Picture - Vergrössern

- left side: Main building of the Baan Khao Lak Resort

- right side: Northwest building of the Laguna Resort

Roger - 22. January 2005

Picture 34-71-40

164.JPG

Original Picture - Vergrössern

Khao Lak Shopping Bazaar - Backside

Roger - 22. January 2005

Picture 34-71-164

This pictures of January 22th 2005 are very important because this are the first high resolution pictures after the tsunami of this areas. Now I have a lot of work with your Phuket Island pictures. Thank you for this Phuket pics. I learned a lot about Patong. Maybe I need the help of the Phuket residents for my damage report about Phuket Island. If I need help to identify the picture positions of my and your Phuket pictures, I´ll start a new thread.

Regards

Heinrich

Edited by Tsunami Archiv

@dr_Pat_Pong

Hi,

thank you for your comment about my homepage. :o

The Khao Lak Resort is open, 20 rooms in the hotel building. At July 2005, there were some new constructions in the beach area. I don´t know anything about this new buildings, but I think it is a restaurant, a pool bar and some beachfront bungalows. In two weeks, I get new pictures of this resort.

Regards

Heinrich

8.JPG

Originalfoto - Vergößern

Khao Lak Resort - new construction

Paul Ruegg, owner of the destroyed Jasmin Resort - July 2005

Foto 33-84-8

Whole picture series

- Khao Lak Resort - July 2005

Paul took 650 pictures of Khao Lak in July 2005

- Paul Ruegg picture report - July 2005

Edited by Tsunami Archiv

@RDN

Thanks a lot for your high resolution pictures. I published them in my forum. They are mixed with other pictures. Please look at the picture numbers. Your pictures have the numbers "Picture 34-71-xx"

Thanks for the links Heinrich. I'll now send you some more photos, this time they will be of the bridge between Phuket Island and Si Res Island. I posted these at the end of last year: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=244845

Hi Heinrich & Axel,

I recently bought the CD and paper map of Thailand from Thinknet in Thailand.

I figured it would have Khao Lak on it.

As far as Thinknet are concerened KL does not exist.... :o

Your .pdf is evcellent & I have just ordered the paper version.

Thanks to both of you for excellent websites and pix..... (you too Roger) :D

Just a thought, why not carry adverts as on the Koh Samui map?

cheers,

johnno

Hi Heinrich & Axel,

I recently bought the CD and paper map of Thailand from Thinknet in Thailand.

I figured it would have Khao Lak on it.

As far as Thinknet are concerened KL does not exist.... :o

Your .pdf is evcellent & I have just ordered the paper version.

Thanks to both of you for excellent websites and pix..... (you too Roger)  :D

Just a thought, why not carry adverts as on the Koh Samui map?

cheers,

johnno

Well, it's there, but there's not a lot of detail :D :

khaolak8wl.jpg