ID Cards For Thai Children Issued From July 10

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read somewhere that you have until the end of September to obtain said ID cards. My Thai wife and son now live with me in Australia. She rang her mother 2 days ago when I told her about the card.Mother in-law knew nothing about it. Yesterday a letter arrived in the mail notifying households of the new ID cards. MiL lives in Korat.Does anybody know what is the situation for children living in other countries.I will ring Thai embassy in Australia to see if they know anything about it.

Edited by thommo46

I read somewhere that you have until the end of September to obtain said ID cards. My Thai wife and son now live with me in Australia. She rang her mother 2 days ago when I told her about the card.Mother in-law knew nothing about it. Yesterday a letter arrived in the mail notifying households of the new ID cards. MiL lives in Korat.Does anybody know what is the situation for children living in other countries.I will ring Thai embassy in Australia to see if they know anything about it.

I wouldn't stress. You are overseas, a legitimate reason not to have an ID card.

I didn't get my first Thai ID till I was 30 when I moved to Thailand permanently from Australia. They waive the fine, which is very small (100 baht or something).

What about home schooled children? Not got anything through the mail (other than usual bills, Macors mag and Pizza Hut adverts). Mrs will be back in thailand end of July (she works abroad), so maybe leave it until then and let her phone the amphur and ask.

I tend to take their Thai passports with us when we need them - quite funny when we go DVD shopping in Burma (as we do a few times a year - best place for whole series of TV programmes and kids movies) - never need to do that circular run between the border immigration and the immigration office for ID photocopying, Thais and Burmese never seem to know what to do with them (they don 't get stamped or need to pay the 500B) - always get a converstaion going on both ends of the bridge - think I'll still use their passports for that though.

What is it that that the people replying this post are so frightened of? A ID card cannot harm a child. Peoples brain washed baggage being brought here from their home countrys.Whats so different about a 7 year old having a ID card that makes identification easier than my children having passports since they were a few months old..As for people saying a child cannot look aftet a ID card really I don't think anyone would expect them to its the parents that will hold them...If its the case posters here are scared for your children then why did you register their birth in the first place? Its a positive thing getting ID cards. Yes maybe someone will make some money printing them but this is Thailand and thats how the wheel spins...

I believe the TV news tonight said they'll be starting in four cities/provinces... I caught Chiang Mai and Korat... Pathum Thani, I think... The other I can't recall.

More broadly, I couldn't make out any timeline for how long they expect it's going to take the authorities to complete this pretty enormous undertaking, considering the number of 7 - 15 year olds in Thailand.

As for carrying the card, I'd assume they'll just keep them along with the IPad or similar pad device they're all going to be getting from the incoming Thai government. :whistling:

What is it that that the people replying this post are so frightened of? A ID card cannot harm a child. Peoples brain washed baggage being brought here from their home countrys.Whats so different about a 7 year old having a ID card that makes identification easier than my children having passports since they were a few months old..As for people saying a child cannot look aftet a ID card really I don't think anyone would expect them to its the parents that will hold them...If its the case posters here are scared for your children then why did you register their birth in the first place? Its a positive thing getting ID cards. Yes maybe someone will make some money printing them but this is Thailand and thats how the wheel spins...

I agree.

Seeing as ID cards are so important in Thailand, you can't really get anything of any importance done without one, it's a good thing to get the schools involved, get all the kids documentation etc. all ready> They have to do all that to get them in the school in the first place. My wife had an absolute nightmare running about all over the country for birth certificates, visits to Amphur where she used to live etc. just to get her kids registered in the school where she lives now. When we took the girls on holiday we had to take their birth certificates with us so we could check in for the flight.

ID cards would have been so much easier in both cases.

Also, in the Amphur, whist we spent many an hour warming the seats waiting for our marriage certificates, the staff there spent a large part of their day issuing ID cards to 15 year olds. If the schools get involved, and the ID card 'teams' arrive at the school, it can all get done more efficiently.

From the government's perspective it also means there are less people floating about without ID details on their systems.

Lots of people wait until they are in need of one, for travel or some other purpose, before they bother to get one, this way, they will have had it sorted before they leave school. Maybe they'll have to still keep the Amphur staff busy updating the photos every so often, but it will be much easier for everyone I reckon.

Some folks apparently just need to whine about something.

:)

Of course.

But if offered the chance to get a Thai ID and stay in Thailand for as long as they wanted, what is the bet that their faux position on civil liberties would quickly dissolve?

As you say, people just need to whinge.

What, will children who have an alien parent be charged extra for an ID card? Anyone know?

What on earth would make you think this was even on the cards?

I'm a child of 'alien' parents, and the price for my Thai ID card has been the same as everyone elses.

What, will children who have an alien parent be charged extra for an ID card? Anyone know?

I'm a child of 'alien' parents, and the price for my Thai ID card has been the same as everyone elses.

How much is that?

How much is that?

Less than 50 baht from memory.

What if they refuse to carry it. If I remember kids like to rebel.

Jail them

Cane them

Or just laugh. I am quite sure the kids do not need them. I would think the parents would be handling any thing they would need ID for.

As for human smuggling well a kid mite loose his card and find 50 baht.

Whether they carry it or not on an everyday basis isn't a reason for them not to have one. When their parents register them for school, take them to hospitals, or use any service that is a burden on state funds, it's that much less an opportunity for someone without citizenship to use those same services if an ID is required.

:)

Edited by Heng

Nothing, i see Keigo Sato Thai Japanese boy that made headlines finding his father could not get one yesterday computer glitch :whistling:, and today a falang friends 9 year old son(Thai birth certificate) was told no at his school where they were issuing them, because in the boys words he had a falang face which translated i presume means not 100% Thai = no card.

Nothing, i see Keigo Sato Thai Japanese boy that made headlines finding his father could not get one yesterday computer glitch :whistling:, and today a falang friends 9 year old son(Thai birth certificate) was told no at his school where they were issuing them, because in the boys words he had a falang face which translated i presume means not 100% Thai = no card.

You 'presume' wrong....

Unless one of your 'farang friends' was also a Thai citizen, or both the farang parents were also Thai permanent residents at the time of the child's birth, then the child would be ineligible for Thai citizenship.

You should research before making such blatantly misleading statements...

Seems like another typical scheme with no thought put into it; TIT

Probably to better identify the alien kids from neighbouring countries (including hill tribe kids) who, unscrupulously, misuse Thai educational and medical facilities, while encroaching on Thai soil, breathing Thai air... :ph34r:

Ahhhhhhhhh

Those aliens.

I thought the farang kind.....

So sorry?

Yes this is exactly the issue.

No problem working the parents to the bone for 175 baht a day on construction sites,

Fishing trawlers of jobs Thais won't do, but keeps the economy going.

But how dare they expect their sick child to be seen in a hospital!!!

"A burdon on state services" the catch phrase that has killed more than most wars.

Alien = Burmese / hill tribe / Laos / Cambos

All those sub-human cousins/neighbors most have been raised to hate

so Thailand can become one nation under a plan to be 'Thai'

as some bureaucrat decided they should be 80 years ago.

Edited by animatic

Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

My dog have more senses than this xenophobic moron. :bah:

I think it is a good idea. Here in Chiangmai we have a real problem with aliens roaming around trying to steal identities. Here one we caught in our garden just the other night.

post-122647-0-10991500-1310533152_thumb.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

You 'presume' wrong....

Unless one of your 'farang friends' was also a Thai citizen, or both the farang parents were also Thai permanent residents at the time of the child's birth, then the child would be ineligible for Thai citizenship.

Are you sure? My grandchildren have a British father and Thail mother. They both hold Thai and British passports. I understand they need not decide which one to retain until they are 18 years old. (The 4 year old boy also holds an American passport because he was born there. Cheeky bugger!)

You 'presume' wrong....

May help to use some of your Australian education in reading. The OP could well be refering to a faalang friend with a thai spouse. Not like you to ve so judgemental.