Thai Immigration Crackdown On Ed Visas

george

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

With reference to the forum rules isn't it about time that a moderator wakes up and flays these type of derogatory posts?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! But they should have done it years ago!

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

Who are you to dictate who should and should not be here? What a stupid thing to say ...

A Canadian friend of mine who was instrumental in developing the 'Speak-Easy Thai' language-learning product asked me why I had decided to not learn Thai. I had several good reasons, the primary one being my unwillingness to invest the time required to meet my standards of fluency/proficiency and what I felt was a relatively limited return on the investment. I knew at the time that learning to read and write Thai should precede spoken Thai ... but I digress.

He then asked me: If you're not going to learn Thai, then what are you doing in Thailand?!

Now, that was a crucial question that I could not answer immediately. But whatever the reason is/was, I certainly knew that I did not come to Thailand to learn any of the languages spoken here. Nor am I here to 'save either individuals or the country' or any other altruistic reason other than to have fun. When it stops being fun, I will go somewhere else. Incidentally, I would be an enthusiastic Spanish-student, if given the opportunity.

I do tell people, though, that if the person I'm communicating with does not know enough English for us to do it to some level of effectiveness, then they probably don't have anything useful to tell me anyway (because the did not take even basic English, which seems to be encouraged in Thailand). Of course this lack of Thai language skills could be injurious or fatal to me under certain circumstances, but I'm willing to take that risk. Thailand is a schizoid, multi-lingual country, in case nobody has noticed, with English having a predominant presence in many venues.

Edited by MaxYakov

Just go to the bloody classes! Its only 4 hours a week minimum. You might even learn some Thai. rolleyes.gif

Edit : there's no limit to how much / deeply you can study a language, so you can never stop 'milking' ED visas legitimately unless the Government come up with some nonsensical arbitrary limit on how many years you can have a visa to study here . . . which would never happen in Thailand. whistling.gif

Edited by Trembly

I know Thai people that have been studying or have studied English for 10 years or more and give the blank look when asked "how's it going" or "how was your day?" :unsure:

In Melbourne or Sydney everyone gives you a blank look when you ask hows it going.biggrin.gif

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

Struggles for the rest of us? What struggles? The Cambodian border is just a few clicks away each month, or if you've got a pulse and not a complete screw up, you can get a job teaching English for a few baht a month with a legitimate working permit. But to use an Education Visa and not attend the school as a means to extend a holiday is, quite simply, illegal.

Where's your anger coming from? Are you also using a Education visa to enjoy Walking Street one more year?

I dare say it would be fairly simple for her to find a legitimate way to stay in my country legally, although admittedly she might need my financial backing!

But this is missing the point. I just fail to understand how some people can be happy that others might be forced to leave... Perhaps they are just jealous because they are stuck with an ugly old tripe of a Thai girlfriend while they see all these other farang walking around with sexy ones lol

.... Sure, there may be some undesirable people who abuse the system, but then there are also LOTS of undesirable people with legitimate visas (retirement, marriage, work, whatever). I just want to live here with my girlfriend - why on earth would some of you guys have a problem with me doing that? You're worse than the most xenophobic of Thais if you are against me doing that.

Not sure what is your home country but I wonder what are rules there if your girl friend want to come and live there with you???

I do tell people, though, that if the person I'm communicating with does not know enough English for us to do it to some level of effectiveness, then they probably don't have anything useful to tell me anyway

Sorry, but that is a stunning level of arrogance and/or ignorance.

Since there's only about 800 million or so estimated users of the English language (that includes first and second language speakers), you're basically saying that the other 5 billion people on the planet really aren't worth talking to?

As a once famous tennis player used to say, "You cannot be serious!"

Edited by badmedicine

Yeah, I realise what they are cheering about, I just wonder why? Do they derive some kind of sick pleasure from this?

I mean seriously, why should they give a ****? I myself am one of these 'abusers' but I don't see why these people are cheering the fact I may have to leave the country. I am not someone who regularly goes out trolling round bars in Pattaya or Nana or wherever - I stay at home with my gf, and I conrtibute a LOT to Thai societ by paying for her education! And I help her parents. My problem is I'm a freelancer, I work online so I can't get any kind of working visa.

Oh, and by the way. I speak Thai quite well already thank you. I certainly don't need to waste my time at these crappy lessons they have at most of the Thai language schools.. Perhaps some of you guys should try attending a class before you go slating those of us who try to avoid them!

I believe they are cheering a ckrack-down of abuse of the ED-visa system, not a crack-down on ED-visas itself.

Cant you get an 'O' Visa as you are here with your girlfriend.

A Canadian friend of mine who was instrumental in developing the 'Speak-Easy Thai' language-learning product asked me why I had decided to not learn Thai. I had several good reasons, the primary one being my unwillingness to invest the time required to meet my standards of fluency/proficiency and what I felt was a relatively limited return on the investment. I knew at the time that learning to read and write Thai should precede spoken Thai ... but I digress.

He then asked me: If you're not going to learn Thai, then what are you doing in Thailand?!

Now, that was a crucial question that I could not answer immediately. But whatever the reason is/was, I certainly knew that I did not come to Thailand to learn any of the languages spoken here. Nor am I here to 'save either individuals or the country' or any other altruistic reason other than to have fun. When it stops being fun, I will go somewhere else. Incidentally, I would be an enthusiastic Spanish-student, if given the opportunity.

I do tell people, though, that if the person I'm communicating with does not know enough English for us to do it to some level of effectiveness, then they probably don't have anything useful to tell me anyway (because the did not take even basic English, which seems to be encouraged in Thailand). Of course this lack of Thai language skills could be injurious or fatal to me under certain circumstances, but I'm willing to take that risk. Thailand is a schizoid, multi-lingual country, in case nobody has noticed, with English having a predominant presence in many venues.

So you're 'saving' your time for a widely spoken and more important* language that isn't spoken in the place that you reside?

If you have to ration your braincells for such an effort, how can you be sure that you'll get a return on your investment with, say, Spanish or Chinese?

*In situations where it is spoken.

Edited by Trembly

I know Thai people that have been studying or have studied English for 10 years or more and give the blank look when asked "how's it going" or "how was your day?" :unsure:

True that, but the difference is they don't have to learn English to remain in their country.

I dare say it would be fairly simple for her to find a legitimate way to stay in my country legally, although admittedly she might need my financial backing!

But this is missing the point. I just fail to understand how some people can be happy that others might be forced to leave... Perhaps they are just jealous because they are stuck with an ugly old tripe of a Thai girlfriend while they see all these other farang walking around with sexy ones lol

.... Sure, there may be some undesirable people who abuse the system, but then there are also LOTS of undesirable people with legitimate visas (retirement, marriage, work, whatever). I just want to live here with my girlfriend - why on earth would some of you guys have a problem with me doing that? You're worse than the most xenophobic of Thais if you are against me doing that.

Not sure what is your home country but I wonder what are rules there if your girl friend want to come and live there with you???

I find quite a few foreigners living here to be quite territorial. You ever been to a quiet and secluded part of Bkk and seen a foreigner? Sometimes you get the feeling he or she is thinking 'what are you doing here? I'm the only farang around here'.

Each to their own I guess. There was me thinking that we're guests here and have no say or opinion. Even if it is about foreigners.

Thailand is not a secret anymore.

+1 Why would any foreigner be joyful about making it harder for someone else to stay here? I agree all visas can be "crackdown" on at anytime. Maybe you will be next. How exactly does it affect you if someone gets an easy ED visa? Idiots

Because most posters here are old geezers who have a retirement visa. They know they will never have to worry about visas and they tend to be pretty conservative. I, for one, will laugh when Thai immigration launches a crackdown on retirement visas.

Edited by nicolas18

i think us legal residents - is residents the word? Should go round bars and speak to some of these 'illegal immigrants'. You'll mostly find these people who are living here illegally in bars, whoring it up and doing drugs. We should speak to them and ask what they're doing here. Pretend we're one of them. When they admit they have an ed visa but are not studying - or are on their 15th tourist visa, we report them to the authorities.

The authorities arrest them, and we slowly but surely eradicate this degenerate behaviour of binge drinking, whoring and drug taking.

Read up on chemical addiction first before you make blanket statements like that.

Secondly bars greatly appreciate any customer that drinks a lot = spends lots of money. I have seen the same group of Tawandaeng German Beer patrons at a large table get drunk and physically fight each and every time I have been there and seen them. Security drags them out in a gentle way but allows all of them to return another day to get drunk, fight and ejected again and again.They consume a great deal of beer.

Whoring is inextricably connected with the other 2 for many and also funds the industry

The industry profits all levels of society including law enforcement.

I was being ironic you dinlow.

Gotcha :whistling::whistling:

I find quite a few foreigners living here to be quite territorial. You ever been to a quiet and secluded part of Bkk and seen a foreigner? Sometimes you get the feeling he or she is thinking 'what are you doing here? I'm the only farang around here'.

Yes, that's me! :) :)

Each to their own I guess. There was me thinking that we're guests here and have no say or opinion. Even if it is about foreigners.

Thailand is not a secret anymore.

I'm not sure why some people think you lose the right to have a voice or an opinion just because you live in another country. I'm often asked by Thais what I think about various things going on here, partly because they'd like to know how they are viewed by others, and partly because some Thai people are quite fed up with the stereotypical straitjacketed way they are expected to act and behave.

Edited by badmedicine

Several countries in Europe have requirements for a person to learn their language and about their culture.

Yes but, in those countries, it's actually worthwhile since you have the benefit of the protection afforded by the rule of law. You can buy land, bring in personal effects without arbitrary tax demands from crooked customs officials and not have to worry about upsetting the wrong peasant in a suit.

Make foreigners feel that their residential status isn't so precarious and at the mercy of some up-his-own-arse official and perhaps they'd be willing to make the effort.

Speak for your self

I don't drink or drug and have a very nice Thai wife so I do not haunt the brothels.

I am here because I like the people the culture and the country.

I do not have to lie and cheat to stay here I conform to the requirements. I did when I came here and I still do.

The people they are out to get are the one's like you looking for the easy way out with out going through the honest process. Probably the attitude that you had at home.

Let them clamp down on me I meet the requirements. No Worry.

hmmm, i dont agree with you and certainly don't appreciate being called scum.

I came here 4 years ago with only 2000 quid and a plan.

It costs me 100,000 Baht every year to pay for company fees, work permit, Non B visa (+flights to KL) and the social contributions of 4 Thais plus boarder runs every 90 days, etc etc.

My point is I pay... you don't.

So you can take your ed visa and stic..................:whistling:

I believe they are cheering a ckrack-down of abuse of the ED-visa system

Why? How exactly this crackdown supposed to improve their lives?

Exactly.....!! how indeed?? I'm with the other guy. Why do people cheer this? How does it affect most of you posting "hurray" one way or the other?? :jap:

Speak for your self

I don't drink or drug and have a very nice Thai wife so I do not haunt the brothels.

I do not have to lie and cheat to stay here I conform to the requirements. I did when I came here and I still do.

The people they are out to get are the one's like you looking for the easy way out with out going through the honest process. Probably the attitude that you had at home.

You're not a saint by any chance?

+1 Why would any foreigner be joyful about making it harder for someone else to stay here? I agree all visas can be "crackdown" on at anytime. Maybe you will be next. How exactly does it affect you if someone gets an easy ED visa? Idiots

Because most posters here are old geezers who have a retirement visa. They know they will never have to worry about visas and they tend to be pretty conservative. I, for one, will laugh when Thai immigration launches a crackdown on retirement visas.

It already has. And just like the education visa crackdown it is aimed only at the people trying to cheat the system. The requirements are the same.

Why don't these long term students who are learning nothing just make visa runs. They have the means to suport themselves and not working they have the time.

I know if that is what I had to do that is what I would do.

I understand the people applauding this. it must be hard for you guys to see people living in thailand long term without being old or in a loveless marriage.

It's only a loveless marriage if she was a bar girl. If she's a girl from a good job: hair salon, hotel receptionist, etc - it's real.

Speak for your self

You come here on holiday, meet Thai lady, have sex, marry her, move here.

You not here for culture (joke), you here for sex with Thai lady.

You here for same reason as rest of us.

Sex with young, slim Thai lady very nice.

Does it matter how many partner you do?

I think no.

Edited by OlafStapleton

I believe they are cheering a ckrack-down of abuse of the ED-visa system

Why? How exactly this crackdown supposed to improve their lives?

Exactly.....!! how indeed?? I'm with the other guy. Why do people cheer this? How does it affect most of you posting "hurray" one way or the other?? :jap:

This crackdown is a good thing as it enables the Ed visa system to continue for thopse willing to comply with the requirements. At present the routs of the system mean that the whole system could be stopped and those wanting to learn and stay will not be able to.