Thai Immigration Crackdown On Ed Visas

george

I have been using an ED visa for the past 5 years, but I will graduate this year.

I have a high GPA, and am on the Dean's List.

I used to work part-time as a teacher.

I think it is silly, not to allow real students to work at all.

Can you not read English.........................does it say that they are going to stop geniune students .................NO......................do you understand "panya on"

Quitye possibly you should enrol for an English course yourself... the article doesn't mention that holders of ED visa may not work as teachers??

I may be a legitimate student, but we are not allowed to work as even part-time teachers. This is my complaint about the policy.

You best belt-up, because you are missing quite a lot here.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would do the same thing in Australia. Here you have more Thai girls working in massage who come as "students", get paid cash and dont pay any tax while the rest of us have to support the country. Really pisses me off how Thais can come to farang countries and do what they like but we are treated as "Aliens" and second class citizens when we go over there. When will things even up?

Great news! But they should have done it years ago!

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

That's bullschit ! If they can afford to live here without having to work but make a contribution to the economy and don't make a nuisance of themselves, why shouldn't they be here ?

If they're happy to deal with the disadvantages of not speaking Thai, what's the problem?

The armchair morality on this forum is astonishing sometimes and it is usually people with similar holier-than-thou attitudes who end up disillusioned with Thai society when, despite their language skills, they experience discrimination at the hands of some of the more duplicitous members of the indigenous population.

Frankly, if foreigners were given some rights and protection under Thai law, they might be more inclined to learn the language.

Because if you just stay here without doing anything but spending your savings from abroad (you do not add REAL value to the economy), you might be fine, and so will Thailand for a while. But you will be bringing in foreign capital, which will add significant purchasing power to the Thai economy (which is a good thing). But if enough foreigners do like that, one day the Thai economy might be, to some degree, depending on this increased inflow of foreign capital. Then as Thailand slowly gets more expensive, one day all these foreigners might say "Hey, life in Thailand is to expensive, lets go to the Philippines", then suddenly thailand will be missing some percent of their domestic consumption, which could prove catastrophic to the Thai economy.

In the late 90'ies, Thailand felt the effect of a sudden loss of foreign capital, and now, with good reason, they are very protective when it comes to being dependent on foreign capital (why do you think the recent financial crisis hardly reached Thailand). So you might think that one single foreigner will not matter a lot, but imagine just 100,000 foreigners spending 5-10 times more that the average Thai, that would be more than 1% of the total domestic consumption.

Your argument is in a hole; stop digging !!

So by your reasoning, as foreign retirees' income is derived from sources overseas, their capital is deemed to be contributing to inflationary pressures within Thailand. Ergo, they shouldn't be granted leave to remain, right ?

Thailand is actively encouraging foreign investment but, again, by your reasoning, they are in error. They should cease and desist lest their inept administrations boost inflation, right ?

The reason Thailand and other Asian economies were largely untouched by the financial crisis is on account of their lack of exposure to the structured products and derivatives so popular in Western banking systems. If I remember correctly, the Thai government still implemented a stimulus package to compensate for the slowdown in key export markets by encouraging domestic consumption.

No, I'm afraid that should any of the scenarios you describe come about, they'll be the direct consequence of Thai fiscal and monetary policy rather than a few farangs with enough dosh to be idle and a healthy aversion to learning a language only spoken by 60-odd million Thais and a handful of Laotians.

I used to teach English to Thais who'd been studying English for many many years. If I said"big fish eat little fish" to my students, then I bet 50% of them wouldn't understand what I said.

The crackdown is just another example of how much Thais dislike foreigners and their little personal power tricks they play when they have the upper hand.

It could be your teaching skills ??

I know a lot of guys staying in Thailand. Many are looking after someone else's children—usually a Thai man who left his wife—support a family, support half a village
In which case they have nothing to worry about. Supporting Thai dependents get you a 1-yr visa, you don't need to pay a school 24k for it. Such schools - and those who use them w/o studying - are breaking the law, so yes they are doing something illegal.

If you have bought a condominium here with hard earned honest cash, your in your 40's and purchased whilst in Thailand on a O Visa your not married so have to resort to an education visa to be able to stay long term in your legally purchased condominium and fail a random Thai question by immigration when you have actually been attending you are well and truly fuc_ked.

Really? No options, eh? Can someone a tad bit more creative weigh in on this? IMHO, it's a no-brainer, really. Whether or not one's cash is 'hard earned' [sic], strikes me as irrelevant, for starters. As far as the condo goes, if one were silly enough to tie up any serious amount of money in one, Buddha help them! Maybe they should be taking Econ 101 (with particular emphasis on Thai law) instead of Thai.

Edited by MaxYakov

plus it sucks to be in thailand and not speak thai now i understand what some people say about us while smiling at us.. you would be surprised at what some say..

Its funny you should say that...

i have lived here 7 years now - i'm not great at speaking Thai but i can understand a fair bit...

But its just like you said...

One of the main reasons i never wanted to learn Thai is - i really do not want to know what they are talking about...

Because i know dam_n well that they can blatently talk about you and say some really nasty and ruse stuff that may just make me hate the place that little bit more...

I guess i like those fake smiles and thinking they are all so kind and beautiful and peaceful...

Ignorance is bliss - and thats why im still here...

Time to fight back and learn how to speak Thai and at least you can talk back at them. I went to vacation in Thailand long time ago. I went to eat at the restaurant the owner charged my food bill high price but, I went back and spoke Thai to her. So, the owner had to change the price. My take and opinion.

Fully agree, If you learn the Thai language to an average level so many new doors will open for you and Thailand will become an even more amazing place to live, work or retire in

Peace

I have been using an ED visa for the past 5 years, but I will graduate this year.

My university informed me that I could work up to 20 hours a week on a ED visa.

For me it is more time consuming, tedious and complex to remember all the imagery and associations used to learn a thai character than ... drill yourself...

Using this software alone does not get an ED visa, but if you study and focus, will get you an understanding of thai alphabet.

english is "tau ta han" "Ta han" means soldier , so tortoise does not really help that much.

bau bai mai refers to a "leaf" as in plant or tree.... U boat does not suggest what the character means, only the B sound.

atyclb, you have utterly missed the point of the 'Rapid' approach! :blink:

Firstly, there isn't anything to 'remember' as such, because it's a matter of seeing the shapes - albeit you have to do it squinty-eyed... it's much easier to remember things if they are related together in a quirky story. That's how the Greek storytellers memorized 100's of hours of epics. Why knock it if it works?

Secondly, it's completely irrelevant what the name of the letter is, except on the rare occasion you might want to spell someone's name verbally.

The point is to be able to read, pure and simple.

If you look at the letter and can see the shape of a tortoise then you know it's the "t" sound - not complicated. And just by looking at , it looks exactly like a "U", so you know the sound is "b". (Subconsiously, you see the loop on the left as the head of a figure and that instantly leads you to that odd-looking U-Boat captain... which also happens to be the class of the letter. It's sounds more complicated than it is. It all happens so quickly in your brain that you aren't aware of it.)

Knowing that the first letter is "soldier" and the second one is "leaf" doesn't help you one bit to be able to read - unless you are already Thai, that is....

:lol:

Finally, I specifically said that I don't do visas. But learn to read (quickly and easily) and it will help to demonstrate that you're not completely abusing the Ed Visa regulations.

B)

That's bullschit ! If they can afford to live here without having to work but make a contribution to the economy and don't make a nuisance of themselves, why shouldn't they be here ?
Because its against the law to live here, as most anywhere else, without the proper documentation and permission from the authorities. Such people could always apply for residency, if they're eligible.

If some find learning Thai so hard what about learning Russian?

We have an Russian course that qualifies for ED visa for 3 years, yes, you do have to attend your classes at least twice a week for 2 lessons.

Some may question my fluency in Thai ( I can certainly improve ) but I am a fluent Russian speaker so I can take good care of your Russian learning needs.

Walen School - teaching Russian!

Truly amazing.

Bona fide students coming to thailand for studying russian.

Why not for an elementary school education - then let immigration try to test you.

One loophole closes (maybe) - an other one opens.

Walen school - opening loopholes.

Thank you your reply. Sorry to come back but I am genuinely interested in learning Thai language properly and not for Visa reasons.

Can you recommend a quality school within 15-30 minutes travelling distance from Pattaya?

I am prepared to make a payment of course. Thank you

So now there is a 'crack down' on ED visas. Why? Are any of these people doing anything wrong, harming anyone? No. I they were they would be arrested, fined, fined, and kicked out of the country. So what if they are using a loophole to stay in Thailand? On a list of one to infinity this 'problem' would be close to infinity. I know a lot of guys staying in Thailand. Many are looking after someone else's children—usually a Thai man who left his wife—support a family, support half a village. Support which the Thai government does not do. Just back off and let these people stay here.

They are not using a loophole. They don't meet the requirement of minimum study of 4 hours a week

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

Well said. This site has more than it's fair share of muppets!

Sorry but what is the ' similar reason' we are all here for ? I ask legitimately. I am here for the female company, the good weather, the reasonable prices, fairly reasonably priced accommodation. Is the reason amoungst the items ive mentioned?

Great news! But they should have done it years ago!

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

Well said.

My gf's brother recently graduated with a bachelor in english..

Seriously. Most of the time he has no clue whatsoever when i talk to him about the simplest thing, unless its 'give me the key' or 'take this'

We pay him 6000baht a month though, so he got what he deserve, hes slave labor lol

Are you saying you're not paying him much? That's not a bad salary, the maids at my school make B175 per day for nearly 12 hours, maybe 20% of the time actually working very hard (rare I know!), no payment for sick days, no paid holidays.

All depends on value you're receiving - I pay my full-time live-in maid and substitute mother-of-the-house B250 + I'm sure she skims a bit off the (very low) household food budget. I would like to pay her more when I can afford it, but she doesn't think her deal's unfair. . .

So now there is a 'crack down' on ED visas. Why? Are any of these people doing anything wrong, harming anyone? No. I they were they would be arrested, fined, fined, and kicked out of the country. So what if they are using a loophole to stay in Thailand? On a list of one to infinity this 'problem' would be close to infinity. I know a lot of guys staying in Thailand. Many are looking after someone else's children—usually a Thai man who left his wife—support a family, support half a village. Support which the Thai government does not do. Just back off and let these people stay here.

They are not using a loophole. They don't meet the requirement of minimum study of 4 hours a week

There are legitimate ways that guys supporting a Thai girl and her family can stay I am sure without applying for an Ed Visa

To all those who replied to me earlier, the main point of my post is that those who think it's a "good thing" that they are clamping down on visas are being incredibly ignorant of the reasons as to why people do this.

Sure, there may be some undesirable people who abuse the system, but then there are also LOTS of undesirable people with legitimate visas (retirement, marriage, work, whatever). I just want to live here with my girlfriend - why on earth would some of you guys have a problem with me doing that? You're worse than the most xenophobic of Thais if you are against me doing that.

But regardless, mark my words... It may be us this time but the reality is that the powers that be in this country don't want ANY of us living here. One day, they'll find a way to clamp down on your visas too. And then it will be the more astute people like me who are laughing, as we will find some way to stay here, while all you fools who think everything has to be done "by the book" will have to go home with your tails between your legs.

It will be nothing less than you deserve for wishing misfortune on others.

To all those who replied to me earlier, the main point of my post is that those who think it's a "good thing" that they are clamping down on visas are being incredibly ignorant of the reasons as to why people do this.

Sure, there may be some undesirable people who abuse the system, but then there are also LOTS of undesirable people with legitimate visas (retirement, marriage, work, whatever). I just want to live here with my girlfriend - why on earth would some of you guys have a problem with me doing that? You're worse than the most xenophobic of Thais if you are against me doing that.

But regardless, mark my words... It may be us this time but the reality is that the powers that be in this country don't want ANY of us living here. One day, they'll find a way to clamp down on your visas too. And then it will be the more astute people like me who are laughing, as we will find some way to stay here, while all you fools who think everything has to be done "by the book" will have to go home with your tails between your legs.

Nobody seems to be "wishing misfortune on others", other than you. People DO seem to be stating that those abusing the Ed visa by not attending classes etc are, in fact, putting other people at risk and abusing the system. They also seem to be suggesting that wide-spread abuse of the system will lead to further immigration crackdowns in the future.

Can someone please explain how the Africans are getting visa's. I was in Pratunam this week, it was overloaded..they have taken over the only nice restaurants there, in fact for the 3 days I was there I couldn't get a table. I asked one or two how long they'd been here, 7 years, no work, sit around coffee shops day and night..said they get 60 day tourist visa's with 30day extension out of Laos.???

this tests are happening randomly at immigration here in Chiang Mai since almost one year, so no news for us.

If you learn at a registered legal school and attend your lessons: no problem.

So it is not really a crackdown on ED visas.

But at Thaivisa they have to post at least one article a week with the word "Crackdown", just to stimulate our blood circulation.

:D:jap:

Of course they are. I've read this forum for years and I know a lot of the prevailing attitudes on here. So many of you get on your high horse and moan about others and want them gone just because you have the "correct" visa - it sickens me. You should be ashamed of yourselves. As I said before, we are all here for much the same thing (and I DON'T need to elaborate on this), and the majority of us are DECENT people.

And your argument about risking other clampdowns is irrelevant - after all, if you have the "correct" visa, surely you don't need to worry about any clampdown???

Nobody seems to be "wishing misfortune on others", other than you. People DO seem to be stating that those abusing the Ed visa by not attending classes etc are, in fact, putting other people at risk and abusing the system. They also seem to be suggesting that wide-spread abuse of the system will lead to further immigration crackdowns in the future.

@MJCM I was pointing out that if you're supporting someone else's children you can get a visa without paying 24k to a school for not studying thai. You could also get a visa by simply going to the classes. doesn't seem that hard for all those who are so keen to stay. Can't see what all the whinging is about, sorry.

Pla yay geen pla lek

So what the answer?

A ปลาใหญ่กินปลาเล็ก

B ก็ อย่าใส่ในถังเดียวกัน

On another note may I recommend the Rapid Course plugged earlier v.good.

Thank you your reply. Sorry to come back but I am genuinely interested in learning Thai language properly and not for Visa reasons.

Can you recommend a quality school within 15-30 minutes travelling distance from Pattaya?

I am prepared to make a payment of course. Thank you

Sorry, I didn't come to study Thai. I study at a regular University in English :jap: ... and in Bangkok, not Pattaya.