Thai Immigration Crackdown On Ed Visas

george

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

Fully agree with you here - the fact that people are doing this, is only a symptom of a problem.

There are people, wealthy enough to fund a lifestyle WITHOUT working, or at least work over the phone/internet or run their own business and can do so from Thailand (servicing customers in their home countries), whom are under 45, or whatever the Non B retirement visa requirement for age is. Thailand does not understand, that in many western countries having a degree is not automatic - it is actually a huge challenge both financially and academically to graduate. In my country (New Zealand), only 25% of the population have a bachelors degree, 10% have a masters degree, and 4% have a PHd. We cannot buy degrees, or fake test scores unlike certain universities in Thailand have been caught doing, and some of my friends have taken advantage of to come here to NZ on.

I have worked since I was 15 years old, and am in the top 10% of earners in my country - I have no degree. Why? My parents abandoned me at a young age, and it would cost me more to stop working and graduate, than to continue what I am doing until I am 45 and quality for the retirement visa. If it is not 45, I know it is in the Phils.

Just like Thai doctors (another issue), stop attacking the symptoms, understand the cause and fix it. The cause is, you do not offer a long term opportunity for financially well off earners under 45 to remain in Thailand 100% legally more than the tourist visa will allow them to. Fix it?

Farangs need to help each others. The retirement visa should advice the new Ed Visa. They should form a group of people to help each other. May be they already have many groups I do not know. If so I apologize. People come to Thailand because, they love the weather, food and the Thai people. They want to stay longer since the cost of living is inexpensive when compare to their own countries. I do not mind to live in Thailand for 6 months and fly back to America another 6 months. My take and opinion.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please list the 40 countries and the work-study regulations for each. Thank you.

Absurd, that would take a long time indeed... and you know that.

40 countries was mentioned to illustrate that I am possibly more widely travelled than the majority of posters.

So, in normal logical context:

There are around 200 countries in the world, right.

The first statement from JD was that the majority of countries do not allow students to have part-time work.

Thus, being the first statement, this is the one which should be proven- not my response.:rolleyes:

I eagerly await the list of 100+ countries which do not allow for part-time work by students :jap:

The problem is an outdated visa system. People use ED visas as they choose to live here and its the only one they can get to fit. Surely some form of visa which bridges the gap between, retirement, ,marriage and an O visa should be investigated. People who get ED visas, are I'd imagine, normal folk (as opposed to being elusively deviants, pedos and long term sex tourists), who just want to settle down, the visa loophole is the only option, close it by all means, but give people another option and police immigration into Thailand properly.

It is sad to see foreigners turn on foreigners. You rarely see Thais turn on Thais in similar situation. Perhaps we have something to learn from the Thais.

Loiterer Visa? Objective Observer Visa? Beer-taster Visa? Unassuming Farang Visa? Issan Welfare Participant Visa? Hiding From LE Visa? Letch Without Borders Visa? Slacker Visa? Minimalist-Living Visa? Thai Food Taster Visa? First-World Survivor Visa?

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

Ed Visas for learning, yes you have to go to school

Non B for working, and yes you have to work (I have to submit over 400 pages of documents every year for this)

Retirement visas for retired people.

It is clearly simple. If everyone would do as they should and not abuse the system. For those who do want to stay, there are so many legal ways to do it with out problems.

‘The big fish eat the little fish.” The foreigner looked at him without a clue.

Is it a question?, Is the answer to this question 54? or do you just take the micky and reply "Jing lor"

I mean it's a conversation starter, you could sit there and talk about finding nemo

Good idea in fact, If you ever hear this at immigration have a good natter about finding nemo and your visa will be on it's way in no time ( bplah si som high por dare bplah jurt gan por die, si yod lue)

Edited by benbear

You're either a student, or you're working -- in my opinion.

I think most countries allow students to work a certain number of hours whilst studying.

Not the UK (in private colleges) and not the US (except through very limited programs on site at universities -- or when internship is required for a degree) --- Thais is for foreign students at least. If you are a native there are no rules about working while attending school.

Both the countries listed have exceptions (so does South Africa and many others: holders of South African study visas may not engage in full time employment they are permitted to work part-time for no more than 20 hours per week.)- Thailand has none :lol:

Edited by SAffer

Please list the 40 countries and the work-study regulations for each. Thank you.

40 countries was mentioned to illustrate that I am possibly more widely travelled than the majority of posters.

The first statement from JD was that the majority of countries do not allow students to have part-time work.

Thus, being the first statement, this is the one which should be proven- not my response.:rolleyes:

I eagerly await the list of 100+ countries which do not allow for part-time work by students :jap:

Please go back and read my statement again. Not only are you making a fallacious argument (attributing something to me that I did not say) you are ducking a direct question.

If you are referring to being an EU citizen in another EU country etc .... pity ;) This isn't the EU.

Easy just pay School 1000 THB extra for handle the visit to Immigration every 90 day :] - Problem Solved -

Congratulations! You've aced the most difficult language test ever. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy

The clear message from immigration is - if you try to bend or break the rules, they will keep tightening them up, thus requiring more and more paperwork and making it more inconvenient for those on legimitate visas.

Great news! But they should have done it years ago!

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

That's bullschit ! If they can afford to live here without having to work but make a contribution to the economy and don't make a nuisance of themselves, why shouldn't they be here ?

If they're happy to deal with the disadvantages of not speaking Thai, what's the problem?

The armchair morality on this forum is astonishing sometimes and it is usually people with similar holier-than-thou attitudes who end up disillusioned with Thai society when, despite their language skills, they experience discrimination at the hands of some of the more duplicitous members of the indigenous population.

Frankly, if foreigners were given some rights and protection under Thai law, they might be more inclined to learn the language.

Because if you just stay here without doing anything but spending your savings from abroad (you do not add REAL value to the economy), you might be fine, and so will Thailand for a while. But you will be bringing in foreign capital, which will add significant purchasing power to the Thai economy (which is a good thing). But if enough foreigners do like that, one day the Thai economy might be, to some degree, depending on this increased inflow of foreign capital. Then as Thailand slowly gets more expensive, one day all these foreigners might say "Hey, life in Thailand is to expensive, lets go to the Philippines", then suddenly thailand will be missing some percent of their domestic consumption, which could prove catastrophic to the Thai economy.

In the late 90'ies, Thailand felt the effect of a sudden loss of foreign capital, and now, with good reason, they are very protective when it comes to being dependent on foreign capital (why do you think the recent financial crisis hardly reached Thailand). So you might think that one single foreigner will not matter a lot, but imagine just 100,000 foreigners spending 5-10 times more that the average Thai, that would be more than 1% of the total domestic consumption.

I have been using an ED visa for the past 5 years, but I will graduate this year.

I have a high GPA, and am on the Dean's List.

I used to work part-time as a teacher.

I think it is silly, not to allow real students to work at all.

Can you not read English.........................does it say that they are going to stop geniune students .................NO......................do you understand "panya on"

You assume people are "laughing" out of spite, when in fact many of us are *supporting* the rule of law out of principle and perhaps even hope for our host country's future that this might be the start of a trend.

It also sounds as if you have the "right" to be here just because you want to be, and the country wants/needs sexpat money. You are wrong, most Thais would really just love it if most of them left, either for love of country or to drive down the slappers' prices. The only ones who actually want the sexpats here are the ones directly benefiting from the foreigner-oriented sex industry, and most Thais would like to see them leave as well.

Face it, you're tolerated here, and then just barely, because the Thais are in their hearts, just so basically tolerant, "mai bpen rai". The least you can do is get your permission to stay here on a legitimate basis, try to live your life here on a decent basis and maybe even try to do some real good among the "real" community you're living amongst.

Great news! But they should have done it years ago!

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

why, a lot of locals do exactly that.........when in Rome ...................................

You answered that question yourself! They are locals! Many of these local are a burden to future growth in Thailand, so why should foreigners be allowed to come and make the burden even bigger?

plus it sucks to be in thailand and not speak thai now i understand what some people say about us while smiling at us.. you would be surprised at what some say..

Its funny you should say that...

i have lived here 7 years now - i'm not great at speaking Thai but i can understand a fair bit...

But its just like you said...

One of the main reasons i never wanted to learn Thai is - i really do not want to know what they are talking about...

Because i know dam_n well that they can blatently talk about you and say some really nasty and ruse stuff that may just make me hate the place that little bit more...

I guess i like those fake smiles and thinking they are all so kind and beautiful and peaceful...

Ignorance is bliss - and thats why im still here...

Time to fight back and learn how to speak Thai and at least you can talk back at them. I went to vacation in Thailand long time ago. I went to eat at the restaurant the owner charged my food bill high price but, I went back and spoke Thai to her. So, the owner had to change the price. My take and opinion.

I have been using an ED visa for the past 5 years, but I will graduate this year.

Forgive the ignorance. What is a HIGH GPA ?

What will be your next move. Will you be applying for another Ed Visa after your graduation. I assume you are under 50years and not entitled to apply for a retirement visa

Obviously a far more pompous and heavily cultural reason than most of us.Certainly not the girlies.

And so what is your reason for being here exactly?

Thank you nice complement. Thank god I am not here for the same reason as you.

Please go back and read my statement again. Not only are you making a fallacious argument (attributing something to me that I did not say) you are ducking a direct question.

If you are referring to being an EU citizen in another EU country etc .... pity ;) This isn't the EU.

You asked the question, after I responded to JD who claims that the majority of countries do not allow part-time work by foreign students... this being the first statement, should be first to be proven, not my responce.

What I am referring to is not EU within EU... but something more like this:

'holders of South African study visas may not engage in full time employment they are permitted to work part-time for no more than 20 hours per week.'

I am sure you can appreciate that I am not going to answer for 40 countries :blink:

Easy just pay School 1000 THB extra for handle the visit to Immigration every 90 day :] - Problem Solved -

Sad to say, it just struck me this could easily be the real motivation behind a phony "crackdown". I was wondering why it would start in Pattaya, whose economy is the most dependent on dodgy-minded sexpats - maybe just the BiB trying to increase their piece of the pie as usual.

And as for the poster who things "we foreigners should stick together", don't you hate it when your supposed sweetheart is taking the side of her fellow Thai ripoff merchants? So why would you want to live on the same basis? I say "we people that try to live by our principles" should stick together (never mind nationality, an arbitrary distinction falsely dividing people if there ever was one), and let the dishonest and selfish idiots fight it out amongst themselves. . .

The problem is an outdated visa system. People use ED visas as they choose to live here and its the only one they can get to fit. Surely some form of visa which bridges the gap between, retirement, ,marriage and an O visa should be investigated. People who get ED visas, are I'd imagine, normal folk (as opposed to being elusively deviants, pedos and long term sex tourists), who just want to settle down, the visa loophole is the only option, close it by all means, but give people another option and police immigration into Thailand properly.

It is sad to see foreigners turn on foreigners. You rarely see Thais turn on Thais in similar situation. Perhaps we have something to learn from the Thais.

Why use a loophole? Why not learn the language when planning to settle down in Thailand? If someone is not able to express a very simple phrase in Thai language after seven years in the country he is obviously in the wrong place. If you intend to stay long time in Thailand show respect and learn the local language. No <deleted>' excuses. :annoyed:

:D

I used to teach English to Thais who'd been studying English for many many years. If I said"big fish eat little fish" to my students, then I bet 50% of them wouldn't understand what I said.

The crackdown is just another example of how much Thais dislike foreigners and their little personal power tricks they play when they have the upper hand.

Forgive the ignorance. What is a HIGH GPA ?

What will be your next move. Will you be applying for another Ed Visa after your graduation. I assume you are under 50years and not entitled to apply for a retirement visa

GPA is Grade Point Average. A perfect GPA is 4.0. If you get a 2.0 you are effectively averaging D (50%), and this would be a low GPA.

So, in my case, I have an almost perfect 4.0, so as a result I am placed on the Dean's List for Honours upon graduation.

I am below 50 years, yes... but to be quite honest, I am not aware of any age limit for Uni students.

I will stay in Thailand after graduation because I have already done internship here (illegally :jap: ), and the company offered me a good position with a work permit and attractive package.

But, in the course of 5 years, I have worked part-time as an English tutor... I think it's fair and that I should have been allowed to do so legally. It has no baring on either my current or future situation in Thailand.

Simply an opinion.

Well said. This site has more than it's fair share of muppets!

Sorry but what is the ' similar reason' we are all here for ? I ask legitimately. I am here for the female company, the good weather, the reasonable prices, fairly reasonably priced accommodation. Is the reason amoungst the items ive mentioned?

Why use a loophole? Why not learn the language when planning to settle down in Thailand? If someone is not able to express a very simple phrase in Thai language after seven years in the country he is obviously in the wrong place. If you intend to stay long time in Thailand show respect and learn the local language. No <deleted>' excuses. :annoyed:

The rightful perception of things in pattaya is; a place where money talks and life is based around adult entertainment" the entertainers speak enough english, usually, and for the ones that don't, body language is what matters. Granted some feel learning the language is important, but the broad reality is otherwise.

If some find learning Thai so hard what about learning Russian?

We have an Russian course that qualifies for ED visa for 3 years, yes, you do have to attend your classes at least twice a week for 2 lessons.

Some may question my fluency in Thai ( I can certainly improve ) but I am a fluent Russian speaker so I can take good care of your Russian learning needs.

Walen School - teaching Russian!

:cheesy:

I have seen your interview on Russian channel and i can assure you, you are not fluent in Russian, you are not even decent in Russian. i would even say-hardly any good at it.

But back to OP, how would Immigration test those taking Russian classes?

So now there is a 'crack down' on ED visas. Why? Are any of these people doing anything wrong, harming anyone? No. I they were they would be arrested, fined, fined, and kicked out of the country. So what if they are using a loophole to stay in Thailand? On a list of one to infinity this 'problem' would be close to infinity. I know a lot of guys staying in Thailand. Many are looking after someone else's children—usually a Thai man who left his wife—support a family, support half a village. Support which the Thai government does not do. Just back off and let these people stay here.