Thai Immigration Crackdown On Ed Visas

george

Will there also be a crackdown on "English teachers"without work-permits in Thai schools ?

I hope so,another loophole shut hopefuly

But, I think students should be allowed to have part-time jobs.

I have done it all through my degree... and I feel it should be allowed.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Deputy Director, the Thailand Ministry of Education is warning all schools who offer Education Visas to foreigners to be legitimate and make sure students adhere to attendance and testing requirements.

Sounds fair to me.

I mean seriously, why should they give a ****? I myself am one of these 'abusers' but I don't see why these people are cheering the fact I may have to leave the country. I am not someone who regularly goes out trolling round bars in Pattaya or Nana or wherever - I stay at home with my gf, and I conrtibute a LOT to Thai societ by paying for her education! And I help her parents. My problem is I'm a freelancer, I work online so I can't get any kind of working visa.

Yeah. You contribute a lot. Sure you do. No doubt the Thai economy will collapse if you ever get kicked out for working illegally.

The only reason I can think of for your somewhat heated posts is that you yourself are, in fact, one of the morons who abuse the system.

you are 100% correct to catch that. very good. you pass the test. the way I wrote it would sound like FLA not PLA

Please do not cancel my Yanhee Hospital "extension"

PS; Yanhee is one of the famous hospitals for sex changes and other enhancing procedures

Well, under these circumstances certainly another chance. Immigration usually tends to be fair.

How do you say in Thai language: "I'm in Thailand to get rid of my dick". :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

"we are essentially all here for similar reasons,".

And what reasons might they be? Beautiful temples, beautiful women, beautiful weather?

An ED visa is issued for just that reason, to give the recipient an opportunity to study Thai in Thailand which usually means attending classes and having some proficiency in the language, not attending beer bars and snorkeling.

I was not cheering but am pleased that immigration has found it fit to clamp down on abuses of the visa.

I am retired here as are many members of this forum and object to your choice of the word "scum". If they choose to clamp down on retirement visa holders who are"abusing" the system I will be glad to cheer.

99% of retirees obey the rules and meet the requirements, so not likely to be too many problems that you wish on us.

Try not to be so angry. :passifier::If you are here on an Ed visa and learning Thai, you should have no problems. Chok dee.

Hi agree wholeheartedly. It's time they closed the loopholes for those that can't qualify for their many visa options. Most of us work hard to follow the rules and qualify. The requirements are plain to understand and adhere to. It's there country, they can do what they feel is right without regard to those who want to be here illegally.

A simple way to find out how much Thai a person is learning is for the immigration to ask very simple questions in Thai of the applicant before granting the extension based on the number of years the applicant has been using an educational visa.

Another thing they need to do is clamp down of the University students from China who enroll in classes full time, then skip classes to go get an illegal job in the local English schools teaching very poor English. (Includes running businesses too)

plus it sucks to be in thailand and not speak thai now i understand what some people say about us while smiling at us.. you would be surprised at what some say..

Its funny you should say that...

i have lived here 7 years now - i'm not great at speaking Thai but i can understand a fair bit...

But its just like you said...

One of the main reasons i never wanted to learn Thai is - i really do not want to know what they are talking about...

Because i know dam_n well that they can blatently talk about you and say some really nasty and ruse stuff that may just make me hate the place that little bit more...

I guess i like those fake smiles and thinking they are all so kind and beautiful and peaceful...

Ignorance is bliss - and thats why im still here...

Will there also be a crackdown on "English teachers"without work-permits in Thai schools ?

The Thai government disagrees with you (many other governments do as well.)

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

"we are essentially all here for similar reasons,".

And what reasons might they be? Beautiful temples, beautiful women, beautiful weather?

An ED visa is issued for just that reason, to give the recipient an opportunity to study Thai in Thailand which usually means attending classes and having some proficiency in the language, not attending beer bars and snorkeling.

I was not cheering but am pleased that immigration has found it fit to clamp down on abuses of the visa.

I am retired here as are many members of this forum and object to your choice of the word "scum". If they choose to clamp down on retirement visa holders who are"abusing" the system I will be glad to cheer.

99% of retirees obey the rules and meet the requirements, so not likely to be too many problems that you wish on us.

Try not to be so angry. :passifier::If you are here on an Ed visa and learning Thai, you should have no problems. Chok dee.

Lucky the rules are in your favour - at the moment.

For others, with assets and income much greater than some retirees it is not quite as easy.

I know this is not the Thai language forum, so I understand the lack of Thai script...

But can posters please stop 'mutilating' the transliterated 'Big fish eats little fish' and similar phrases. It is giving me a headache trying to understand exactly what Thai words you are quoting.

Come to think of it, I get a headache most times when non-Thais throw in a few Thai words using Roman script. Better to learn to read/write basic Thai - it's not difficult, (or - in the case of the visa applicant - perhaps it was...)

Simon

Great news! But they should have done it years ago!

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

That's bullschit ! If they can afford to live here without having to work but make a contribution to the economy and don't make a nuisance of themselves, why shouldn't they be here ?

If they're happy to deal with the disadvantages of not speaking Thai, what's the problem?

The armchair morality on this forum is astonishing sometimes and it is usually people with similar holier-than-thou attitudes who end up disillusioned with Thai society when, despite their language skills, they experience discrimination at the hands of some of the more duplicitous members of the indigenous population.

Frankly, if foreigners were given some rights and protection under Thai law, they might be more inclined to learn the language.

Walen is not affected by this or? Do those Skype students need to attend the classrooms now too?

I am Skype Studen with Wallen, I did the Book 1, 2 times. I could have answer to that emigration official right away.

I already read/write/speak Thai (Thai better than English)

If I join school for education visa am I visa cheat?

It depends. If your objective is to improve your skills, nope. If you intention is to just squeeze out a stay without the intention of improving your abilities, yes.

เหตุผล is the name of the game. Also in Thailand.

It is sad to see foreigners turn on foreigners. You rarely see Thais turn on Thais in similar situation. Perhaps we have something to learn from the Thais.

So I should agree with the actions of anyone who has the same complexion as me just because we both don't happen to be Thai? How unbelievably racist. It would be sad if I agreed with anyone just because he is a foreigner.

As far as Thais always getting along with one another , you can't actually live here. Thais are quite capable of reaching conclusions based on their personal views even if those views don't coincide with those of everyone else in Thailand. And they are very ready to demonstrate their disagreements as the continuing political tension has shown, not to mention the riots of one years ago.

Edited by Suradit

Even though these "students" can take care of them self, it shows clearly that they do not wish to integrate themselves. If you do not have sufficient qualifications to get a job in a foreign country and you are not retired, the least you can do is to learn the language, integrate yourself and then try to positively contribute to the society. Those who just want to be here without doing anything, should not be here!

That's right! The do-nothings should be deported immediately. The only exceptions to this would be individuals that are still breathing. :D

It is sad to see foreigners turn on foreigners. You rarely see Thais turn on Thais in similar situation. Perhaps we have something to learn from the Thais.

So I should agree with the actions of anyone who has the same complexion as me just because we both don't happen to be Thai? How unbelievably racist. It would be sad if I agreed with anyone just because he is a foreigner.

As far as Thais always getting along with one another , you can't actually live here. Thais are quite capable of reaching conclusions based on their personal views even if those views don't coincide with those of everyone else in Thailand. And they are very ready to demonstrate their disagreements as the continuing political tension has shown, not to mention the riots of one years ago.

Thais turn on Thais all the time .... and I certainly owe no allegiance to another person because of their skin color. (If you are cheating my government and thus making me pay more taxes ... I certainly won't hide the fact if asked. --- The same goes for cheating Thailand)

Totally agree, I do Skype Lessons with Wallen for 1 year and I am sure that all students in the class would have answered this question very easily.

After 6 years, I am sure I will be able to completely speak Thai fluently for most common every day tasks.

This guy really abused to the system. Most regular legit students from legit schools should not affected by this crackdown.

Personnally I would have answered: tea pom gin yae pla, 555, visa stamped, done.

Walen is not affected by this or? Do those Skype students need to attend the classrooms now too?

The issue seems to be that the guy was with the guy not being able to speak Thai at a very basic level. Pla yay geen pla lek. So super easy. If you learn online you do actually attend a class, and many students do not learn online because they need visa, this is one of the way we teach. If there is a problem with this kind of visa it will be because people like this.

The moral of the story is learn some Thai, at least at a basic level. It needs to be evident that you go to school and learn. He did not ask him to translate passages from Shakespeare into Thai, did he?

Edited by nikkoid66

The Thai government disagrees with you (many other governments do as well.)

Yeah, and it is simply: Might is right.

From a human standpoint, I find it silly... I am on the Dean's List, so obviously I do attend class, and I just want to earn a little extra cash for the weekends. Personally, I found that most countries do in fact allow for part-time work... but then again, I have only visited 40 countries, I surely lack your expertise on social politics.B)

Thais are all from Thailand.

Farang are all from Farangland???

Not apples and apples.

Thais are quite capable of reaching conclusions based on their personal views even if those views don't coincide with those of everyone else in Thailand. And they are very ready to demonstrate their disagreements as the continuing political tension has shown, not to mention the riots of one years ago.

I think that fight racial

Dark skin Issan-Thai Vs Light skin Chinese-Thai

Yeah, I realise what they are cheering about, I just wonder why? Do they derive some kind of sick pleasure from this?

I mean seriously, why should they give a ****? I myself am one of these 'abusers' but I don't see why these people are cheering the fact I may have to leave the country. I am not someone who regularly goes out trolling round bars in Pattaya or Nana or wherever - I stay at home with my gf, and I contribute a LOT to Thai society by paying for her education! And I help her parents. My problem is I'm a freelancer, I work online so I can't get any kind of working visa.

Oh, and by the way. I speak Thai quite well already thank you. I certainly don't need to waste my time at these crappy lessons they have at most of the Thai language schools.. Perhaps some of you guys should try attending a class before you go slating those of us who try to avoid them!

I'm pretty much the same as you.

A freelance web guy, tax evading and on a fake student visa and can speak a bit of Thai.

I hate my situation and don't feel secure and why the hell should I feel secure if I'm living in a country this way?

I'm planning in the next few years to set up my own business because I plan to stay here for a long time and can't be doing with all this ducking and diving.

I would love to pay tax but I don't want to work for anyone, I would happily do more web work for Thai companies to help this country.

You really have a bee in your bonnet though mate. Maybe tone it down a bit so you don't look like all the other angry farangs on here :)

Regarding the original article...

Before I got my student visa I checked around these forums. There seems to be a "cracking down" article/post every year.

Well said. This site has more than it's fair share of muppets!

You're either a student, or you're working -- in my opinion.

I think most countries allow students to work a certain number of hours whilst studying.

Not the UK (in private colleges) and not the US (except through very limited programs on site at universities -- or when internship is required for a degree) --- Thais is for foreign students at least. If you are a native there are no rules about working while attending school.

Well said. This site has more than it's fair share of muppets!

IF you are on an Ed visa, in a legitimate school that is not acting as a visa-mill and requires its students to meet the guideline then it isn't an issue is it? The issue will be when the school you are paying (even when you are acting properly) doesn't abide by the rules, then you are at risk.

BTW -- we are NOT all here for the same reasons.

why, a lot of locals do exactly that.........when in Rome ...................................