Six Whiskies To Go, Please.

happyrobert

Was reading a Roadway map of Thailand, written in Thai for Thai, and was perusing the various subjects written in the front pages prior to any maps. The heading on one page: DON'T DRIVE DRUNK, caught my eye and I read that one should not drink more than 2 glasses of wine in the hour before driving. Nor should one drink more than two bottles of beer.

Okay, so far pretty much in line with other countries.

Then came the whiskey.

According to this Thai Non-Profit, "Don't Drive Drunk Foundation", who came up with the above figures, it is acceptable to drinkin the hour prior to getting in one's vehiclesix (6) whiskies. :burp:

Uhm, yes, that's sixcount'emsix whiskies in one hour and you can drive carefree. One whiskey every ten minutes for an hour and you can safely climb into your pickup, or straddle your crotch rocket, and give little Sumguy a ride home from school. :blink:

I wonder who funds the DDDF?

Shots or bottles?

Six whiskies are far, far more potent than two bottles of beer.

Try it out, if you think otherwise.

Yes, it is even often debated here re: amount of alcohol in a bottle of Thai beer, some claim it varies. But you can not add to it; open the bottle and you have what you have.

Whiskey is poured, however, to the drinker's preference -- or the server's preference-- which is usually quite heavy as it is sold by the bottle and they want the guys to buy another bottle as soon as possible.

And a typical "shot", by the way, is two oz. or 59.1470591 cc, not 25 cc. A pony is .75 oz. None of the Thai I know pour a pony!

I have very often seen those pretty young servers pouring at least two shots--120cc--in a single drink, and topping it with a dab of soda. They don't use measuring cups like jiggers. They just pour a generous helping.

Most of the time the whiskies are about 90% ice, soda, and coke so 6 seems about right

Personally, I hardly notice the consumption of two bottles of beer. Just a loosener.

Six whiskies would hit me like a hammer.

I suppose it's what you are used to.

Back to the original point, Six or one hundred and six, I personally never drink and drive where I have my car in the UK. Not one little drop, ever, honest!

I certainly would not drink and drive in LOS where driving must be more of a haphazard experience, demanding intense and not just full concentration. Made so by the unpredicatbility of so many others? My views are fashioned as a passenger, as I have never driven in Thailand. I think I would be a poor driver here because I would be a bit too nervous at first.

If you had a lot of drink and then drive home you would be driving like the rest of the Thais

And that's a good thing??

One time, ONLY one time, I drove in Thailand after drinking and I swear on my Mother's grave...NEVER again!!!

It is just too crazy trying to pay attention to the other things going on, logic is completely out the window, the chances you are taking are NOT WORTH IT !!

Maybe you feel you can hold your liquor, but why...why...why take the chance?

Sorry, I'm ranting now, but Really!!

:huh:

If you had a lot of drink and then drive home you would be driving like the rest of the Thais

One time, ONLY one time, I drove in Thailand after drinking and I swear on my Mother's grave...NEVER again!!!

It is just too crazy trying to pay attention to the other things going on, logic is completely out the window, the chances you are taking are NOT WORTH IT !!

I don't think techno was advocating drink-driving. It came over to me as an amusing aside regarding the general standard of driving in Thailand.

Your single experience of transgression is probably how my first drive in Bkk. would be, but sober, should I be brave enough to try it.

I don't think techno was advocating drink-driving. It came over to me as an amusing aside regarding the general standard of driving in Thailand.

Your single experience of transgression is probably how my first drive in Bkk. would be, but sober, should I be brave enough to try it.

Sorry, I've been drinking......:unsure:

Most of the time the whiskies are about 90% ice, soda, and coke so 6 seems about right

When I drink with family and Thai friends, I'm amazed at how weak they make their drinks. Whisky and soda so weak it looks almost clear.

I drink JWR on the rocks and I always have to say, more,more and they say ho ho. I think my 3oz JWR equals 6 of their drinks. Really.

No I do not drive in Thailand. But 6 of their drinks would hardly make a buzz.:mellow: