I'm getting conflicting info so can someone give me a definitive answer please. My wife is on a two year spouse visa which runs out next March. We have a son born here in the UK last August so when she applies for ILR next March does she need to have Knowledge of Language and life in the UK certificate or is she exempt being the mother of a UK citizen (our son)? I know she will have to do the KOL if she wants citizenship but we are just interested in ILR for now and dont want to do the KOL if she doesn't need to.

Being the mother of a child born in the UK doesn't exempt her from having to pass the relevant test required for ILR.

She must either pass the Life in the UK test or complete and pass an Esol with Citizenship course to qualify for ILR.

Edited by sumrit

life in the uk test is a one day test, and you should know the answer that day. you need level 3 english language ability or higher.

esol english language course with citizenship, is a 3-6 month course, and is taken at a local college, and is a few hours a week. your thai partner's english language ability will be assessed and she will need an english language level of 1-2. during the course she will need to gain 1 level in english language.

is her english language ability very good?

you can google these courses and see what standards are needed.

for the life in the uk test there are thai / english books for sale on ebay

ESOL entry 3 (CEFR B1) for LitUK test. Not ESOL level 3

ESOL entry 1/2 (A1/A2) to take language course with citizenship material.

ESOL level 3 (or higher) does not exist.

life in the uk test is a one day test, and you should know the answer that day. you need level 3 english language ability or higher.

esol english language course with citizenship, is a 3-6 month course, and is taken at a local college, and is a few hours a week. your thai partner's english language ability will be assessed and she will need an english language level of 1-2. during the course she will need to gain 1 level in english language.

is her english language ability very good?

you can google these courses and see what standards are needed.

for the life in the uk test there are thai / english books for sale on ebay

Thanks for the help guys.

I looked on the Border Agency website and I can see where she got this exempt theory from as the listing of exempt ppl is badly worded. It says parents of uk citizen are exempt but doesnt say these parents must be dependant or have extreme emotional circumstances eg your recently widowed mother in law.