Malfunctioning Car Runs Over Thai 7 Students, Killing One

webfact

Malfunctioning car runs over 7 students, killing one

By Supachai Sinprasert

The Nation

A schoolgirl was killed and six others injured when a Mercedes-Benz, which reportedly had faulty brakes, ran them over inside the Temrak Suksa School campus in Nonthaburi's Bang Bua Thong district yesterday morning.

Of the seven victims who were taken to Kasemrat Rattanathibet Hospital, Prathom 6 student Anchisa Kesornbua succumbed to her injuries, while two of her classmates were seriously injured.

The driver of the Mercedes, Charn Thaiphadungpong, 57, said that after dropping his nephew off at the school he discovered that his car had problems, so he turned off the engine and put it in neutral so he could push it. In an effort to align the wheels correctly, Charn started the car but allegedly lost control, running into a group of 20 six-graders who were sitting nearby.

Charn, who insists that he does not know how the car ran into the youngsters, has been charged with recklessness causing death and injuries.

Another 11 students who witnessed the accidents fainted from the shock and were taken to hospital as well.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-08

Sadly, it looks as if the car ran into the students because he was driving it.

A tragic incident and my condolences to the families of the dead and injured and also to the poor driver Mr Charn who has to live with this.

I hope this this was not a case of reckless driving but an accident.

Started the engine to align the wheels (OK, power steering) but lost control? <deleted>? The level of incompetence is mind-boggling, but probably par for the course.

I recently did a long trip with a Thai in-law. He has so much crap hanging off the r/vision mirror as to obscure a huge wedge of vision, and a clear plastic block with an etched Buddha image on the dash, mounted in a wooden base. Every time he hit a bump, it would fly into the air and he would try to catch it, completely ignoring what was happening with the vehicle.

Not once in 1500+ km did he use first gear, rather slipping the clutch in second, even when attempting a U-turn on a major highway. It was always gong to be close, but when he stalled the pick-up the view from my seat was not one I want to see again.

Strange title - how does the story match it? - wheel alignment does not make a car run into students from the stand-still! Starting a car and either hitting the accelerator of letting it drive of under creep (auto) perhaps - though creep gear is hardly likely to be fatal unles it traps someone against something, its like being run over by a tortoise (a very heavy tortoise). There seems little excuse for him really and glad to see he has been charged correctly.

Sounds like an excuse for him driving like a bloody idiot in the school car park - seen it many times here - throw the book at him and ban him from driving until his next life!

Condolenses to the families involved.

Read the first line.A schoolgirl was killed and six others injured when a Mercedes-Benz.

This indicates thet the driver has some dosh,so it never can be that he was wrong.It must be the car.

I live near this area i see many old mercedes cars it does not indicate money always.

It doesn't help that so many schools are built on busy roads with their entrances opening straight onto traffic. I've seen many infant schools with students pouring out into busy traffic without anyone there to supervise. This is Thailand. The poor children are a victim of their own counties lack or rule and regulation. Fine the driver 200 baht and let them get on with it.

German engineering? I've been of the opinion that Mercedes were very reliable cars. How old was the car?

My sympathies to the students and their families.

Own a mercedes and you may think differently. The electronics on some of those cars are one problem after another. Although the driver is ultimately responsible for the vehicle while he is operating it, sometimes the mass of junk that Daimler Benz produces, can do some crazy things like having the windows start going up and down on their own. There are reported "issues" with several models starting or stalling in a dangerous manner. Who knows who serviced the car. Some idiot mechanic could have done something wrong. It does happen. I suggest you and others wait for the investigation.

Although the vehicles are solid and have their positive characteristics, the electrical aspects of the vehicle were a nightmare for several years. Consult your friennd google for some examples. Auto manufacturers do make defective vehicles and Mercedes doesn't have the cleanest track record.

Edited by geriatrickid

What is it with benzs in Thailand. If they're not driving into bus-stop loads of people they're driving into gangs of 12 yr olds.

I was in a school once on my bike, car in front stopped, I stopped behind it. The driver then proceeded to reverse over me and my bike. That was to do with a malfunctioning reverse gear too, nothing to do with the driver. :rolleyes:

"Charn, who insists that he does not know how the car ran into the youngsters"

:lol: I spilled my hot coffee all over myself when reading this! It is clearly another example of an unhappy ghost reeking havoc on a poor, honest and skillful Thai driver. He is 100% innocent ... obviously. :whistling:

Started the engine to align the wheels (OK, power steering) but lost control? <deleted>?

I noticed my wife watching this on the Thai news and I asked her to tell me what had happened. Her Engrish is not fantastic, but from what I gather, the car was started when it was not in "Park", which suggests to me that some mechanic hotwired the inhibitor switch, which is a switch on the side of the gearbox that stops the car starting in any gear other than Park and Neutral. These switches wear ( it was an older Mercedes, too ) and the car refuses to start at all, so people sometimes hotwire them. This unfortunately means an automatic car can now be started in gear......more easily than in a manual car, because you're not expecting it.

I had to do this myself once in a Peugeot and just put a wire across a relay in the engine bay ( between the inhibitor switch and ignition), but I was _VERY_ careful to never start it in anything but Park. I still forgot once and it surged forward in gear immediately upon starting.

He may well have been pushing the car, thinking it was in Neutral......only it was in "Drive". An automatic will roll as if it is in Neutral if it is in Drive. Then he may have thought he'd start it................

Edited by Latindancer

cant fine the poor guy 200 whole baht! he insists he doesn't know how it happened.:jap:

surely he's not lying.:angry:

and incompetent :annoyed:

and irresponsible :blink:

and unrepentant :bah:

jeez, give the poor guy a brake.;)...kids these days.. eh..eh..

RIP Young Un! :( Get Well Soon other victims!!:(

ef

Edited by edgarfriendly

This is a story about a malfunctioning driver not a malfunctioning car.

Well put. its what we all think about most thai drivers and there lack of driving sence.

Charn, who insists that he does not know how the car ran into the youngsters, has been charged with recklessness causing death and injuries.

I see the authorities in this case are acting a bit more quickly than they did with the hi-so teenie driver who clobbered the van on the BKK expressway.

German engineering? I've been of the opinion that Mercedes were very reliable cars. How old was the car?

My sympathies to the students and their families.

Own a mercedes and you may think differently. The electronics on some of those cars are one problem after another. Although the driver is ultimately responsible for the vehicle while he is operating it, sometimes the mass of junk that Daimler Benz produces, can do some crazy things like having the windows start going up and down on their own. There are reported "issues" with several models starting or stalling in a dangerous manner. Who knows who serviced the car. Some idiot mechanic could have done something wrong. It does happen. I suggest you and others wait for the investigation.

Although the vehicles are solid and have their positive characteristics, the electrical aspects of the vehicle were a nightmare for several years. Consult your friennd google for some examples. Auto manufacturers do make defective vehicles and Mercedes doesn't have the cleanest track record.

Sorry, but your statement isn’t really true. There were lots of problems with the 560 series, because of too many electronic items while Japanese car makers were using under pressure tubes to control any valves doing a particular job.

Regardless of what has happened, similar situations occur all around the world.

Reading the story is properly more a human malfunction. I have to pass by some big schools on my way to work and people are driving like idiots for the most part. To pass by a school with 4,000 students is a nightmare for me, even after 34 years of driving.

Four very dangerous situations just occurred today on my way to work and back home, all together 140 km.

Another possibility is that mechanics don’t know what they’re doing and please be aware that I know what I’m talking about.

Fact is that one student had to die, while six others have to suffer from serious injuries. My deepest condolences to the family of the deceased and a fully and speedy recovery for the injured ones. Shouldn’t be like that. . :jap:

Started the engine to align the wheels (OK, power steering) but lost control? <deleted>?

I noticed my wife watching this on the Thai news and I asked her to tell me what had happened. Her Engrish is not fantastic, but from what I gather, the car was started when it was not in "Park", which suggests to me that some mechanic hotwired the inhibitor switch, which is a switch on the side of the gearbox that stops the car starting in any gear other than Park and Neutral. These switches wear ( it was an older Mercedes, too ) and the car refuses to start at all, so people sometimes hotwire them. This unfortunately means an automatic car can now be started in gear......more easily than in a manual car, because you're not expecting it.

I had to do this myself once in a Peugeot and just put a wire across a relay in the engine bay ( between the inhibitor switch and ignition), but I was _VERY_ careful to never start it in anything but Park. I still forgot once and it surged forward in gear immediately upon starting.

He may well have been pushing the car, thinking it was in Neutral......only it was in "Drive". An automatic will roll as if it is in Neutral if it is in Drive. Then he may have thought he'd start it................

There isn't any information that it was an automatic transmission. Anyways you can't push an automatic in Neutral.

Let's wait for the outcome; it could also have been a ghost, or the driver forgot to make a Tamboon for his Benz. RIP young girl, tears in heaven....:jap:

Edited by sirchai

Over ten years ago a very competent BMW foreman mechanic in the UK told me that cars were so sophisticated that they now needed a machine to identify problems. Has anybody seen a Krypton tuning machine or any sort of diagnostic aid in LoS? All that I have come across is wheel alignment apparatus.

I hope that some of the parents of these unfortunate young ladies have enough clout to get the BiB to act as they should do and get the guy clobbered. Maybe his defence will be that he cannot be blamed as he is iodine deficient. :whistling:

Read the first line.A schoolgirl was killed and six others injured when a Mercedes-Benz.

the thai's all have iphones an dont know how to use them either......Breaks an steering both go when the motor shuts down...Magic stick in between the seats still work....hence the name EMERGENCY BREAK...... R.I.P. little one

This indicates thet the driver has some dosh,so it never can be that he was wrong.It must be the car.

There isn't any information that it was an automatic transmission. Anyways you can't push an automatic in Neutral.

Let's wait for the outcome; it could also have been a ghost, or the driver forgot to make a Tamboon for his Benz. RIP young girl, tears in heaven....:jap:

I can assure you that you can push an automatic in neutral,

thats why it's called neutral, it has no drive gear connected therefore it is free to role.

Also nearly all mercs are automatic.

I agree with Latindancer that the gearbox inhibitor switch could well have been bypassed

allowing the car to start in gear.

"The driver of the Mercedes, Charn Thaiphadungpong, 57, said that after dropping his nephew off at the school he discovered that his car had problems, so he turned off the engine and put it in neutral so he could push it. In an effort to align the wheels correctly, Charn started the car but allegedly lost control, ..."

There is a different thread today, talking about average IQ...

Riding a water buffalo was good during the past centuries. It will still work well.

We must blame the car dealers, not the drivers.

I can assure you that you can push an automatic in neutral,

thats why it's called neutral, it has no drive gear connected therefore it is free to role.

Also nearly all mercs are automatic.

I agree with Latindancer that the gearbox inhibitor switch could well have been bypassed

allowing the car to start in gear.

It would be a possibility that the gearbox inhibitor was bypassed. But it's not possible to push an automatic to get it started.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_start

Odds are a moment's careless lapse in concentration due to phone/smoke/CD/daydreaming etc, etc. led to a terrible tragedy.

It is the convention in Thailand to say, "faulty brakes" when you kill someone with your car and the situation did not allow you to do a runner. It provides a basis for a negotiated settlement. Nobody here believes it.

This comment is the best example yet of everyones' sentiments that "so many drivers just have no idea about cars or driving them" and everytime they survive a drive is as lucky as winning the lotto.

Do everyone a favour and NEVER DRIVE AGAIN.

If you own a vehicle, immediately move the selector carefully from Neutral to Park and sell the car exactly where it is!!!

My deepest sympathy to all road trauma victims, their families and their friends.

Oh sigh. Zero accoutability once again.

Yes, so true....especially if he works for the government or law enforcement. He'll pay a paltry amount of 100,000 baht to the family of the little girl that died and probably nothing to the others who were hurt or suffered from the shock and horror of seeing their classmates run over. Welcome to Thailand, this is life here. RIP little girl, and my prayers are with the injured both physically and mentally.