Anyone Driven Into Laos With Financed Car Lately

??

Yes I know the forums are full of these threads but I'm looking for anyone who has done this in the last few weeks or months.We were planning to drive our part-financed truck from Thailand up to Venitene in a few months. We understood that we might be able to get a letter from the finance company (who hold the ownership papers and log book) that would allow us to do this.

However, our finance company now say they can't write such a letter - they claim because the Thai police/border officials will no looner let us cross without actual possession of the log book and ownership papers. The chappie from the finance company says this is a new policy of the officials introduced in the last few months.

This may well be the case. Or it may be an ad-hoc policy of the finance company. Anyone tried to do this recently?

Edited by tcm2020

You can not drive out of Thailand, or into Laos, without the green book and a purple book.

Period.

Has been like this for as long as I am in Thailand (6+ years)

Really - and yet there are numerous posts in these forums and elsewhere that say otherwise. Even my finance company says it was possible until a few months ago.

Here are two threads (within the last two years) that discuss the process:

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4108485

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3700899

And I wonder what is your authority for saying so - presumably you've never attempted it?

Edited by tcm2020

You can not drive out of Thailand, or into Laos, without the green book and a purple book.

Period.

Has been like this for as long as I am in Thailand (6+ years)

You sure can

copy of book and letter from owner, in this case financecompany, if its financed in your name, your name and passportnumber is in the reg book as user/co owner. If financecompany pulls a no sign doc thing, just say you want to go to Malaysia

the Nong Kai - Vientienne bridge is crossed every day by thousands of vehicles, most financed, including the 18 wheelers

there could be a recent increase in document requirements, due to increased theft of TH vehicles being sold in Laos, so OP still needs updated advice

there could be a recent increase in document requirements, due to increased theft of TH vehicles being sold in Laos

Indeed, this is what the finance company are saying.

If financecompany pulls a no sign doc thing, just say you want to go to Malaysia

Now that is clever I hadn't though of that. It may not convince them however, I am about 18 hours drive from Malaysia :)

But Why, its not much fun.:whistling:

Yes, the descriptions of the crossing and attendant paperwork don't sound like much fun. But I fear leaving my newish truck in a parking lot at Nong Kai for long, and it would be easier to bring my family along if I can go across in the truck.

Edited by tcm2020