Thailand's Democrats Seek Ban On Thaksin Party

webfact

The PTP won the election and havent even formed a government yet and the losers are trying to have them disbanded on a complaint they could have made months ago but didnt. That doesnt look much like check and balance and even some of the soon to be opposition party are distancing themselves from the move

They could only complain about Thaksin's involvement in the election after the election was called.

They also have until 7 days after the election to lodge any complaints.

Obviously, the longer they waited, the more evidence they would have ... so why not wait?

Not to mention, if the campaign had been going well for them why ruin a good thing with the finger pointing? Nothing left to lose after losing the election. Waiting until after the voting makes the most sense.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why didnt they raise it at the start of the campaign? They raise it now after losing.

I agree this matter should have been looked at before the election, but again, the onus shouldn't have been on the Dems. Someone else should have brought the matter up. They didn't. From the Dems point of view, i guess if they were going to have to report it themselves, the knew they weren't going to be able to do so twice, so best to leave it until the latest possible time when there would be the most evidence.

By the way, the Dems can stand aside and say nothing. There are plenty of establishment types who could raise this kind of case. Why do the Dems have to damage themselves to raise it?

Isn't there a seven day time limit, which we are now at the end of?

They submitted the complaint in time.

Impressive how many will just oppose the move on the ground PTP won the majority of votes.

The rationale would be the same would they have won 5%: the law is there to be respected whatever your popularity.

But considering themselves about the law is something a wealthy family that likes flying abroad, and their cronies, proved too many times already.

I don't really think the move will ease Thailand situation but don't see anything illegitimate in it.

Of course democracy works on formal equality in the eyes of the law, but it has to be seen by people too, and in there lies the crux. In Thailand now a huge minority probably a majority see the law as not being even handed in how it is applied. In that situation laws become untenable in enforcement. To keep pushing it in what is seen as a one sided manner is going to result in an untenable situation.

Thaksin is pursued on all acocunts. The coup leaders are amnestied. Amnesty is denied other individuals. Party after party that wins elections is disolved for cheating with hundreds banned. One party is always cleared of electoral cheating. Now we can sit and debate the individual cases but the perception is who the people chose gets overridden while who is liked by the powerful is immune. It is dangerous to keep pushing that

A political "mandate" does not override rule of law. It's that simple. But some people like to think it does.

I actually think in this instance it does.

It wasn't like his involvement was some big secret, the people knew and the people voted.

There are no "exceptions" to rule of law. Otherwise, where does it end? Who gets to decide how much electoral fraud is ok? We have existing electoral laws and the only way deal with fraud is to drop the hammer on the cheats.

Nobody forces politicans to engage in electoral fraud. If they choose to do it and get caught - they have let their supporters down and should only blame themselves.

'no exceptions to the rule of law'.............in THAILAND. hahahahahahahaha

I hate to tell you this but there ARE exceptions to the rule of law. Not everyone who does something illegal is charged.

There is a difference between doing something and being caught, and doing something everyone knows about and yet still being voted in. Therefore, if the voters knew about it I can't see how they have been let down. They still voted for them with this knowledge.

In my view, since Thaksins actions were well known and the people still voted for it then it is not in the public interest to prosecute.

So? Some people *are* trying to charge them and *are* trying to enforce the law. The whole point is, if you want Thailand to get better, you have to support rule of law and fight the evil. Otherwise there will be no grounds to complain when it turns into the next Burma.

Not everybody "knows" that Thaksin is a crook. A very large percentage of people actually BELIEVE his propaganda.

Why didnt they raise it at the start of the campaign? They raise it now after losing.

I agree this matter should have been looked at before the election, but again, the onus shouldn't have been on the Dems. Someone else should have brought the matter up. They didn't. From the Dems point of view, i guess if they were going to have to report it themselves, the knew they weren't going to be able to do so twice, so best to leave it until the latest possible time when there would be the most evidence.

By the way, the Dems can stand aside and say nothing. There are plenty of establishment types who could raise this kind of case. Why do the Dems have to damage themselves to raise it?

Repeatedly embroiling themsleves in Thaksin stuff only damages the party. The country needs its biggest opposition party to be viable. Leave the establishment to fight their battles while being an opposition for all the country. Hasnt Chamlong and a woman form Nakhon Sawan already filed complaints? Why are the Dems so stupid as to get embroiled in this again. They need to be breaking the image that they are the lapdogs of the establishment and show they are an opposition for all the people including those who voted PTP. Thksin just becomes a massive distraction and a huge albatross around the necks of the Dems. Just move on time

They are moving on - but they want to move one WITHOUT that albatross - this move is an attempt to cut it free. Why did they get embroiled? Because when they did it became front page news - forcing the issue and making it hard to sweep under a carpet. They have lost the election, it makes little difference to be seen in a negative light for (as some seem to think) going against the public view, at this point. With Thaksin being slapped with another 5 year ban, PTP executive kicked out and PTP scrambling for a new name and banner to live under, it gives them a good chance to be an opposition and keep the Gov in disarray and on their toes. They have a large majority against them (with the coalition), they need a power base to fight from - it may also add to the cracks in the coalition and maybe even cause some spin off parties. It does make sense from their stand point.

What people have to remember is that political parties believe that their policies are best for the country - so fighting against another party (one that now controls parliament) may seem to be against the people vote, but to any opposition party, is still best for the country. If this was not the case, then there would only be a single party.

Repeatedly embroiling themsleves in Thaksin stuff only damages the party. The country needs its biggest opposition party to be viable. Leave the establishment to fight their battles while being an opposition for all the country. Hasnt Chamlong and a woman form Nakhon Sawan already filed complaints? Why are the Dems so stupid as to get embroiled in this again. They need to be breaking the image that they are the lapdogs of the establishment and show they are an opposition for all the people including those who voted PTP. Thksin just becomes a massive distraction and a huge albatross around the necks of the Dems. Just move on time

I agree that it damages the Dems, but i don't agree that electoral laws being broken should be ignored simply on the basis that the party in question won. If the issue wasn't sufficiently being scrutinized, which to my mind it wasn't, damaging to themselves or not, i think the Dems had no choice - indeed some may say they had a duty - to bring this matter up.

At the end of the day, it's not the Dems who will decide on guilt.

It's funny that in Thailand so many politicians are so mischievous that it required a law be made to ban them. I'm sure it doesn't only exist here, but you don't hear about politicians from other countries getting sent to the corner for a timeout this often. They might as well have political referees with the striped shirts and everything b/c this essentially a football match!

laugh.gif

I agree that it damages the Dems, but i don't agree that electoral laws being broken should be ignored simply on the basis that the party in question won. If the issue wasn't sufficiently being scrutinized, which to my mind it wasn't, damaging to themselves or not, i think the Dems had no choice - indeed some may say they had a duty - to bring this matter up.

At the end of the day, it's not the Dems who will decide on guilt.

Exactly if you don't want the opposing party to bring charges against you then don't something stupid like breaking campaign laws.

wacko.gif

They submitted the complaint in time.

I appreciate that. My point was that if nobody else was lodging the complaint, the Dems couldn't afford to wait any longer for them to do so.

I figured I would sleep on this and during my beautyrest, someone astute would ask the obvious. Alas, while I am more beautiful than ever, no one asked the question that should be asked. So I shall therefore askthe defenders of those that seek to create dissension, that cannot accept the election outcome, what is the motive forbringing a "complaint" against the PTP?

Do the people defending the activity honestly believe that the motive is basedsolely on the accusers' love of Thailand and respect for the electoral process?

Please think before you answer, because the people that are most vocal in their support for the bringing of charges and complaints were supporters of themilitary coup, The coup was hardly Thailand's finest moment in democracy was it?

And if you wish to use the hollow excuse of the need torespect the law, I wonder if some of you understand what a hypocrite is? Oh yes, the laws are there for a reason, butthe enforcement of laws requires common sense and discretion. Laws may be on the books, but the enforcement of the laws allows for some discretion. Is thedistribution of a few bahts worth of noodles really a serious election act violation? I doubt you share the same view on zero tolerance when caughts peeding and the copper knocks the violation down from 30 kmh over the limit to10kmh, or if the police in some jurisdictions do not arrest and charge peoplefor the possession of small amounts of restricted drugs. And what of you holierthan thou folks that regularly flaunt the customs rules on the import oftobacco, booze, cheese and meat? How many of those insisting on zero tolerance comply with the letter of law on visas, their business operations or thebuilding code? How many of you foreigners carry your passport on you at alltimes? It's the law and the rules are that undocumented foreigners are to bedetained. Imagine the reaction in the forum if that law was applied.

I am consistent in my position when I state that the court system is the appropriate place in a civil society for the settling of serious grievances. However, the courts should not be used as a tool to harass people. If there is a serious breach, then yes, I can understand why a complaint would and should be brought. However, when I look at some of the limp allegations, then I do question people's motives.

I also draw attention to the rules related to yellow carded candidates. EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond explained this back in June; He said a candidate would be disqualified if he or she was found to have personally violatedelectoral law. In the case of other people committing wrongdoings on behalf ofcandidates, their election victory would be annulled and the EC would call another round of voting in their constituency, with the"yellow-carded" candidates being allowed to contest the new vote.

The Democrats need to seriously reconsider some of their charges as a best case scenario in some of them would be some constituencies going to the polls again. However, most of these constituencies were in areas that returned PTP candidates. It isn't a risky prediction that the result would be an even stronger endorsement of the PTP candidates as people sent a message to the Democrats. The Democrats might think they are being cute, but they are only sowing the seeds for even stronger sentiments being expressed against their party.

Well if I didn't know what a hypocrite was, I certainly do after reading that lot. Could you get a copy of the Thai criminal code and decide for us which are the "serious" offences, and which we should all break at whim. I'm sure if I'm caught, I can tell the BIB that you said it was OK - that and a thousand baht should do the trick.

Do you understand that you break laws at your own peril? and when you do it in front of cameras, it is hard to weasel out? and it's not like it is the first time is it? are these people terminally stupid?

I'm quite sure that the Dems, and most intelligent/informed people realise that PTP candidates will be returned, and that there will be no change of power IF they contest their by-election fairly. is it too much to ask?

Is there any country where a political party would be allowed to be steered by a fugitive convict? Even in Thailand this is against the law !

Posted 2011-04-07 06:50:36

Pheu Thai will unveil its policies on April 24

By Samatcha Hoonsara

The Nation

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will preside long-distance over the unveiling of the Pheu Thai Party's election platform on April 24.

Thaksin will phone in during the event at Thammasat University's auditorium, the party's economics expert, Pichai Naripthaphan, said yesterday.

The platform will tackle the country's problems at the structural level, he said.

Posted 2011-04-25 11:55:09

Pheu Thai Party Announces Policies for Upcoming Election

The Pheu Thai Party has announced its election campaign plans, with ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra making a two-hour speech in a video-link address.

During the Pheu Thai Party's election campaign announcement at Thammasat University on Saturday, self-exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, through video conferencing, announced the party's policies, which employs the slogans "Thaksin Thinks, Pheu Thai Delivers" and "Think Different, Do Different for All Thais".

So now they only need to prove that Thaksin had some small stake perhaps in the planning of the campaign, right? And if they can prove that then its totally right to dissolve the party.

Anyway does anyone else think this is pretty bad slogan or is there something lost in translation?

"Think Different, Do Different for All Thais"

So.... well Think Different for first... sounds a bit like Apple =)

do they try to say "think different than you do" or perhaps "do different to all Thais" ... as in do not treat the people equally. Which would kind of make sense as Thaksin is involved.

Impressive how many will just oppose the move on the ground PTP won the majority of votes.

The rationale would be the same would they have won 5%: the law is there to be respected whatever your popularity.

But considering themselves about the law is something a wealthy family that likes flying abroad, and their cronies, proved too many times already.

I don't really think the move will ease Thailand situation but don't see anything illegitimate in it.

Of course democracy works on formal equality in the eyes of the law, but it has to be seen by people too, and in there lies the crux. In Thailand now a huge minority probably a majority see the law as not being even handed in how it is applied. In that situation laws become untenable in enforcement. To keep pushing it in what is seen as a one sided manner is going to result in an untenable situation.

Thaksin is pursued on all acocunts. The coup leaders are amnestied. Amnesty is denied other individuals. Party after party that wins elections is disolved for cheating with hundreds banned. One party is always cleared of electoral cheating. Now we can sit and debate the individual cases but the perception is who the people chose gets overridden while who is liked by the powerful is immune. It is dangerous to keep pushing that

Come on Hammered " with hundreds banned"

I expect better from you than this hyperbole,

Not even up to 200, and there are people banned from all parties,

not just Thaksincentric ones.

What is the point of the law if they

should or could be too ashamed to apply it?

If party after party cheats to get elected, then what, just let them?

So much for laws. Might was well just go to the wild west.

Edited by animatic

If the complaint is upheld and valid then the situation requires action...........

The outcome and subsequent decision regarding the removal of any offenders will generate the next chapter in the future of Thai politics.....

In my opinion the attempt to remove Yingluck for serving noodles or whatever, really sends out a message of desperation......

Perhaps a new goverment will investigate a few happenings in rather more detail and from a different angle.......is that what drives the democrats?

Perhaps all the Thaksin haters and by implication Democrat supporters will now wake up and realize the true nature of the people they support.

No-one who support the current government support democracy.

The people in as free and fair election as you are ever going to have in Thailand have decided and they've come out in their millions to defeat the current administration.

This current Democratic Party move (Democratic? - what a joke) opens the door for a return to seeing tanks on the streets of Bangkok yet again.

I dont suppose it will be long.

It's quite interesting/amusing that all the Thaksin haters are whining about the election result.

If voting were compulsory the result would've been a lot worse for the Dems.

Get over it!

Are you assuming that most of those too idle/lazy/stupid/drunk/whatever to get to a polling booth are PTP supporters? And I hate to inform you that voting is compulsory in Thailand but not enforced (at least, according to wiki. they could be wrong, they certainly are in regard to Australia)

If the complaint is upheld and valid then the situation requires action...........

The outcome and subsequent decision regarding the removal of any offenders will generate the next chapter in the future of Thai politics.....

In my opinion the attempt to remove Yingluck for serving noodles or whatever, really sends out a message of desperation......

Perhaps a new goverment will investigate a few happenings in rather more detail and from a different angle.......is that what drives the democrats?

Yes, it does seem very strange to me that it is fine to hand out cash for votes, in so far as every party does it and no one get pulled over the coals for it - yet it specifically says in the election rules that they can't serve food - <deleted>?

He cheated in 2006. He was banned.

His proxy party cheated in 2007. They were banned.

He is obviously heavily involved in the latest proxy, let the judgement be made.

Some of the deluded members seem to think there's a "3 strikes and you're innocent" rule out there. Just because you have a criminal's view of justice doesn't change the law.

Thaksin will cry out the usual cons statement, "I was stitched up Guv, honest".

Or borrow one from the reds "It was a fake Thaksin did it ! "

Here we go again

In 1980 President Reagan said " here we go again " we the American were laughing. Now you say here we go again in Bangkok I can not laugh because, it is going to be political conflict and turmoil. Frankly I am not affiliate with any Thai political group. I can predict and give my 90% accurate feedback because, I have no interest in Thailand except come and go as a tourist for a week. My take and opinion.

Only 90% accurate after a whole week?

advanced member we all can see which side your coming from , why di you really wont to give the party another go , they lost no matter what , and having people like you on yr soap box don't help Thailand unless you are one of the rich !

"advanced member" is not a poster's title, it is a descriptor used by many. Your use of pronouns is also confusing, though I'm sure you know what it is that you are attempting to express. The little red line under a word means that you have mis-spelt it.

Better luck next time.

The little red line depends on what browser, OS and add-ons you are using - not everyone gets spell check.

lucky me - pity it's set up with yanktalk.

Come on Hammered " with hundreds banned"

I expect better from you than this hyperbole,

Not even up to 200, and there are people banned from all parties,

not just Thaksincentric ones.

What is the point of the law if they

should or could be too ashamed to apply it?

If party after party cheats to get elected, then what, just let them?

So much for laws. Might was well just go to the wild west.

Hammered is right in pointing the fact that the justice is seen as favoring one side according to the momentum. But Thaksin had his full years of momentum too.

This leads to the roots of the problem: the perception the Thai society has of institutions and laws.

What's the image of the police force?

Is the judiciary considered neutral?

Is the law to be enforced?

Is corruption to be eradicated?

We all know the answers we would get from anyone in the street. But the real point is: what is done to fix the problems? Passivity is the big killer here. Average Thais will fight and riot for money and advantages; or their image. They won't for clean institutions and practices. They simply don't think it's worth the trouble. They prefer to live (keep on living) with it. Too often their immediate circle is involved in it.

Education is the weakness. If they were aware of how much they lose with this statut quo, for sure they would react.

They have lost the election and they have even managed to lose the arguement on what happened in May which links to they lost the election. This action just makes them more unpopular. Still they and their decreasing numbers of supporters dont get it, which is very bad for the country unless you want to see single party PTP government for aeons, or a blood bath followed by single party PTP government for aeons.

Your last line looks inevitable no matter how we toss it.

I dont think it is inevitable. The Dems need to get back to examining themselves and policy and changing leadership and culture of party. Avoid the Thaksin issue. Let PTP govern and do whatever they are going to do with Thaksin. If the estblishment are going to rip themsleves apart over this issue, the main opposition party dont have too as well. The Dems need to detach themsleves form Thaksin issues to move forward. Leave it to between government and the legal system. The PTP have their mandate, which the Dems can accept while it is the job of the courts to make sure nothing unconstitutional happens. There are more important things than what happens to Thaksin and a major political party should be thinking of them rather than sinking itself over the same issue they lose on every time. Abhisit has to go as well

"The PTP have their mandate, which the Dems can accept while it is the job of the courts to make sure nothing unconstitutional happens." Note, my emphasis.

I take it that you agree with the democrats actions - to draw attention to an illegal act so that the courts can act?

Legitimate? If the judiciary were neutral, which they are not (yet), how could they defend dissolving the party with such a mandate from the people? Parliament is the law, and the people have chosen a new parliament haven't they?

So you believe that an elected person is above the law

Keep to the rules in the 1st place then there nbe no worries later

Is thedistribution of a few bahts worth of noodles really a serious election act violation?

It was the local branch of the EC that included the "noodles incident" in their election report. The Democrats have nothing to do with that.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that just, before the election, Pheu Thai asked the EC to disband the Democrats ... because they "criticised it's candidates".

Lets not let a small local incident about noodles distract from the real issues.

I would view dissolution for criticizing candidates as a ridiculous charge.

But letting banned, self exiled and convicted Thaksin control, finance and,

dictate positions and membership positions to the party is an extremely serious charge,

Ok, so we will put the noodle dish aside. How about you take a stab at answering the question; What is the motive for bringing a "complaint" against the PTP?

Do the people defending the activity honestly believe that the motive is based solely on the accusers' love of Thailand and respect for the electoral process?

If they got in buy playing by the rules, then they have nothing to worry about

If not then they did not get to be the parliment fairly

same same the democrats

Yes, it does seem very strange to me that it is fine to hand out cash for votes, in so far as every party does it and no one get pulled over the coals for it - yet it specifically says in the election rules that they can't serve food - <deleted>?

Handing out cash is illegal and anybody caught will be banned/disqualified. As is serving alcohol, and any other form of gift.

Totally stupid move by the Democrats. They need to learn that all these attacks make them more unpopular and less likely to lead any government. It is time to accept the defeat and for the Dem party to take a long hard look at its own failures and unpopularity and work on these so that Thailand can have a viable alternative for government in the not so distant future.

To just blame others continually for your defeat is to never move forward.

Initially Abhisit did the right thing in congratulating and stating he wouldnt stand against Yingluck etc. Now we are back to the Dems just seeming like bad losers and driving people further into PTP support.

In you books you always turn the other cheek when some on cheats

this is what the demoncrats are trying to find out

Did they cheat or not

If not why are you so worried

It was the local branch of the EC that included the "noodles incident" in their election report. The Democrats have nothing to do with that.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that just, before the election, Pheu Thai asked the EC to disband the Democrats ... because they "criticised it's candidates".

Lets not let a small local incident about noodles distract from the real issues.

I would view dissolution for criticizing candidates as a ridiculous charge.

But letting banned, self exiled and convicted Thaksin control, finance and,

dictate positions and membership positions to the party is an extremely serious charge,

Ok, so we will put the noodle dish aside. How about you take a stab at answering the question; What is the motive for bringing a "complaint" against the PTP?

Do the people defending the activity honestly believe that the motive is based solely on the accusers' love of Thailand and respect for the electoral process?

If they got in buy playing by the rules, then they have nothing to worry about

If not then they did not get to be the parliment fairly

same same the democrats

One thing I've started wondering as this conversation has continued to blossom is that the PTP has made such an obvious infraction here that they had see in advance that these charges would be filed, so why go ahead with the cheating? It makes me wonder if they have some end game in mind where this hurdle has already been foreseen and deemed to not be a serious obstacle in the realization of their ultimate goal. My rational side says it's too far fetched and the little conspiracy theorist in me clamoring to get out sees it as totally possible.

wacko.gif

Edited by DumFarang

The PTP picked the perfect candidate to win big and they picked the perfect slogan ... Thaksin Thinks, PTP Acts. So yes they were blatant about breaking the rules. What I think what they have now is the assurance of violence if they are seriously hurt by being challenged in the courts. Violence is an implied threat and nobody wants it to turn out that way. It is known based on track record the reds won't have hesitation to go that way again, and much more. Well actually Thaksin might be OK with that option if he has a plan on how that could be used to gain even further advantages, but that's just speculation. The judges are human beings and may be feeling the pressure over that, fear of revenge if they rule the "wrong" way, not to mention many hidden ways we don't know about. Yes, a risk, but with more power as they are getting now, they simply have more power to effect outcomes.

Edited by Jingthing

Now we can sit and debate the individual cases but the perception is who the people chose gets overridden while who is liked by the powerful is immune. It is dangerous to keep pushing that

Seems to me, what you are saying is, let's forget about whether justice prevailed correctly in the past or not, the fact is that the red side feels hard done by and whether this be true or not, we can't afford to take the risk of them feeling even more hard done by, because we know that will lead to something along the lines of what we saw in Bangkok last year.

Strike a win for violent intimidation methods. The bloody street protests of 2009 and 2010 might have been seen to have failed at the time in achieving much for the red cause, but perhaps now they are starting to bear fruit. Everyone is terrified of upsetting these people and having a repeat performance. Based on this, i don't think the PTP have too much to worry about. I mean, look at how the judiciary cowered to Thaksin and his voters in 2001, not daring to upset them. What chance is them of applying the rule of law in this case, now they are in no doubt about the possible consequences?

I am no fan of this new government too - and we all know what their real motives are...

But they won - and they really should be given a chance without being cock blocked by the dems...

Whats best for Thailand now?

Maybe the current gov is really bad - But a military coup or a repeat of last years 'bangkok burning' is far worse...

Let them have their power.... let the poor people have their say...

Afterall the dems never won in the last 20 years - and for whatever reasons that is, its still a fact that they just dont know how to please ALL the people, only the educated ones...

The PTP picked the perfect candidate to win big and they picked the perfect slogan ... Thaksin Thinks, PTP Acts. So yes they were blatant about breaking the rules. What I think what they have now is the assurance of violence if they are seriously hurt by being challenged in the courts. Violence is an implied threat and nobody wants it to turn out that way. It is known based on track record the reds won't have hesitation to go that way again, and much more. Well actually Thaksin might be OK with that option if he has a plan on how that could be used to gain even further advantages, but that's just speculation. The judges are human beings and may be feeling the pressure over that, fear of revenge if they rule the "wrong" way, not to mention many hidden ways we don't know about. Yes, a risk, but with more power as they are getting now, they simply have more power to effect outcomes.

There is little to commend the PTP with their obvious and overt links to the UDD, who are their military wing for purposes of intimidation. Now we have the unhappy prospect of these red shirted thugs assuming ill fitting suits and ties and pretending to be politicians, coming to think of it, they are perfect mini Me's to their lord and master. I'm dam_n sure they broke sundry electoral rules out of force of habit and simply not being capable of acting otherwise, but still in the final analysis PTP being disbanded would bring chaos, possibly another coop and maybe even civil war. The best strategy may be to let PTP self-destruct as they surely will given time.