Best Visa

Can anyone tell me which is the best visa to get to be able to live in Thailand,'Legally" without a lot of stress, i am 52 years old not married to a thai girl and will have 60,000tbt / month to live on, with some backup.

Cheers

Scoop1

This would probably get a better response if moved to the visa section, but you could apply for a Non-immigrant "O" Visa, then apply for a one year "Extenion of Stay" based on retirement. Financial requirements are 65,000 Baht per month income, or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, or a combination of the two.

Edited by beechguy

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

1. Get an Education Visa. You can learn Thai / Cookery / Embroidery / Spanish / Ferret-petting / Muay Thai or anything you bloody well please as long as you have 80% attendance on a minimum of 4 hours a week at a licensed place of instruction.

You still have to do 90 day reporting, it can come with multiple-entry rights if you ask for it and your burden of proof comes after, not before application. It is probably the easiest Visa that any one could get.

In the mean time . . .

2. Start paying yourself 65'000 baht a month for the next 12 months.

3. After 12 months apply for a retirement visa.

Edited by Trembly

The poster will qualify for a retirement extension of stay if he deposits about 80k into a bank account and obtains an Embassy letter of income for the 60k per month he mentions. Total cost will be 1,900 baht for extension. For entry a single entry non immigrant O visa is all that would be required. Two months later do the extension of stay if you still believe you want to stay.

If Consulate will issue a multi entry (at 2.5 times the cost) that would provide more than a year to make up your mind but you would have to do 90 day exits/returns so unless you plan frequent travel would not be first choice for most and you are always free to leave at any time even with an extension of stay.

1. Get an Education Visa. You can learn Thai / Cookery / Embroidery / Spanish / Ferret-petting / Muay Thai or anything you bloody well please as long as you have 80% attendance on a minimum of 4 hours a week at a licensed place of instruction.

You still have to do 90 day reporting, it can come with multiple-entry rights if you ask for it and your burden of proof comes after, not before application. It is probably the easiest Visa that any one could get.

In the mean time . . .

2. Start paying yourself 65'000 baht a month for the next 12 months.

3. After 12 months apply for a retirement visa.

Thanks Trembly, that sounds like me, i would love to learn Thai, and Thai cooking, and i wont have to worry about 800000tbt and it is, automatic that the workers compensation insurance have to pay me that 65000/ month until i retire. but i will have to reside near a place that have that licensed instruction.

cheers