Reading Glasses

Nixon

Hello,

For a long time I wouldn't buy any reading glasses at all in LOS! All way too expensive, comparitively speaking.

I'd wait 'til my next trip to N.A.

I paid one dollar per pair there, both in the US and Canada. One US dollar in the states, one CDN dollar in Canada...

I found some good prices up in Chiang Rai, but not as cheap as in Canada!

They were invariably all made in China!!!

The quality everywhere was uniformly bad - you get to know what to look for after a while.

For the last ten years or so I've bought almost all my reading glasses in Cambodia and/or Myanmar.

In Yangon there is a whole street going down across from Scott's Market where almost every shop sells reading glasses. Most of these shops were in the second block down from the market (across the next main road and mostly on the right side as you go down.)

Haggle! I paid about a buck or less for some good quality (and some not so good) glasses.

Back up at the market, walk outside along the front, market on your right, to the street (lane) at the end. Turn right - no choice!:>)

There are a few shops at the end, and on the left, again .. no choice, where they were happy to give me a good price - again about one dollar. Insist on paying one price for all, not more for the ones in the fancy cases - they will be very pleased to makes a good sale to you!

If you get lost or turned around in Scott Market, just ask anyone there for Mr. Babu and he wil most certainly help you out! (He sells imperfect real pearls in his shop! They are inexpensive and make great gifts for the folks back home.) And no, you needn't mention my name - even if you know it - because he doesn't know my name!

I alway fly - big surprise! to Yangon.

However I often drive from Ratchaburi to Phnom Penh.

There are some shops selling reading glasses near the Dara Reang Seay Hotel on 118th and 15th, I think. (Google the hotel to be sure..)

I deal with one shop in particular, but there many around there and elsewhere in PP.

It is on 15th?? just past the new half of the hotel - the hotel is split by 118th - one half on each side.

Walk past the newer part on (your left) on 15th and keep your eyes open. (You should be walking away from the hotel now - barber shops on your left, internet cafe (no sign) acroos the road on your right.

There are not that may shops there, but look for one run by a young couple. (Parents probably there helping out.) Excellent English and prices.

I paid - and have for quite some time - $20 US for 25 pairs of reading glasses. (80 cents per pair)

(I may have paid one dollar more or got a few pair less last time. I forget...)

Look at the price in baht and I believe it's less than 30 baht per pair!

Nowhere in LOS have I seen any prices even close to that!!

I always buy in quantity because they break, get lost etc, and I get a lower price...

I go to thes cities and countries because I have many old native friends there and it's a pleasant break from Thailand!

Always new friends to be made!!!

Jaykayem

Hello,

For a long time I wouldn't buy any reading glasses at all in LOS! All way too expensive, comparitively speaking.

I'd wait 'til my next trip to N.A.

I paid one dollar per pair there, both in the US and Canada. One US dollar in the states, one CDN dollar in Canada...

I found some good prices up in Chiang Rai, but not as cheap as in Canada!

They were invariably all made in China!!!

The quality everywhere was uniformly bad - you get to know what to look for after a while.

For the last ten years or so I've bought almost all my reading glasses in Cambodia and/or Myanmar.

In Yangon there is a whole street going down across from Scott's Market where almost every shop sells reading glasses. Most of these shops were in the second block down from the market (across the next main road and mostly on the right side as you go down.)

Haggle! I paid about a buck or less for some good quality (and some not so good) glasses.

Back up at the market, walk outside along the front, market on your right, to the street (lane) at the end. Turn right - no choice!:>)

There are a few shops at the end, and on the left, again .. no choice, where they were happy to give me a good price - again about one dollar. Insist on paying one price for all, not more for the ones in the fancy cases - they will be very pleased to makes a good sale to you!

If you get lost or turned around in Scott Market, just ask anyone there for Mr. Babu and he wil most certainly help you out! (He sells imperfect real pearls in his shop! They are inexpensive and make great gifts for the folks back home.) And no, you needn't mention my name - even if you know it - because he doesn't know my name!

I alway fly - big surprise! to Yangon.

However I often drive from Ratchaburi to Phnom Penh.

There are some shops selling reading glasses near the Dara Reang Seay Hotel on 118th and 15th, I think. (Google the hotel to be sure..)

I deal with one shop in particular, but there many around there and elsewhere in PP.

It is on 15th?? just past the new half of the hotel - the hotel is split by 118th - one half on each side.

Walk past the newer part on (your left) on 15th and keep your eyes open. (You should be walking away from the hotel now - barber shops on your left, internet cafe (no sign) acroos the road on your right.

There are not that may shops there, but look for one run by a young couple. (Parents probably there helping out.) Excellent English and prices.

I paid - and have for quite some time - $20 US for 25 pairs of reading glasses. (80 cents per pair)

(I may have paid one dollar more or got a few pair less last time. I forget...)

Look at the price in baht and I believe it's less than 30 baht per pair!

Nowhere in LOS have I seen any prices even close to that!!

I always buy in quantity because they break, get lost etc, and I get a lower price...

I go to thes cities and countries because I have many old native friends there and it's a pleasant break from Thailand!

Always new friends to be made!!!

Jaykayem