Learning How To Bike In Thailand

Ethan79

Hi there,

I don't have a bike license (and have never drove a motorbike before). I'm keen to learn. I'm wondering if it is easy to learn in bangkok and does anyone know how to get started? Will it be expensive? Part of the reason why i never learn back home was that it was pretty expensive to learn.

Note: I have a thai driving license

any help will be appreciated! thanks in advance!

Hi. look here... www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety/

It's a good 2 day course on a private track and will also get you your Thai motorcycle licence.

Also there were several threads here on TV. if you search honda safety or motocycle training.

ps . forgot to mention it's SOOO cheap.. in fact if you have a Honda bike it's free.

Edited by thaicbr

Hi. look here... www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety/

It's a good 2 day course on a private track and will also get you your Thai motorcycle licence.

Also there were several threads here on TV. if you search honda safety or motocycle training.

ps . forgot to mention it's SOOO cheap.. in fact if you have a Honda bike it's free.

Hi there, the link was in Thai. Do they offer advanced rider training as well?

If You are riding in bkk for the first time , you should know a few tips.

1- Assume everyone is drunk or a sober idiot on the road.

2- Look 4 ways when crossing a One Way street or road.

3.-Never "think" that the car that just inched himself out of the U-turn is going to stop for your "not to important low class motorcycle"

4-I seen too many bike crashes here...it s crazy.

5-A nd yes, i think going to pattaya and renting an R1 is te best way for you to learn, the hard way.

6- There is no respect for motorcycles, you are last before a Person. This is how the "food chain" of the road goes in Thailand.

A) Truck

B) Bus

C) Car

D) Tuk Tuk

E) Bike

F) People

Just becareful.......:ermm:

If You are riding in bkk for the first time , you should know a few tips.

1- Assume everyone is drunk or a sober idiot on the road.

2- Look 4 ways when crossing a One Way street or road.

3.-Never "think" that the car that just inched himself out of the U-turn is going to stop for your "not to important low class motorcycle"

4-I seen too many bike crashes here...it s crazy.

5-A nd yes, i think going to pattaya and renting an R1 is te best way for you to learn, the hard way.

6- There is no respect for motorcycles, you are last before a Person. This is how the "food chain" of the road goes in Thailand.

A) Truck

B) Bus

C) Car

D) Tuk Tuk

E) Bike

F) People

Just becareful.......:ermm:

Good lord, dont stick that man on an R1 first time, he will die !

Rent a sonic or cbr 150 and learn how to shit shift first. Or if its an auto scooter he's wanting to learn, just hop on and go nothing to learn, just like riding a bike.

Edited by KRS1

thxs for the tips so far guys.

i think i will go for maybe a scooter first and then upgrade later...i like the cbr =P but on a more serious note, with all the safety + police issues( i heard they love catching pple on motorbike) i like to try getting a license, drive a scooter for maybe 3-6mths or so and then try to upgrade to a cbr etc.

so where can i learn a scooter from? :)

google "thaivisa classifieds motorcycles" there are a few people offering bikes for rent there.

Or go on a daytrip to pattaya and rent a click,airblade,mio, fino, hayate...these are all autos....literally just twist and go, just like riding a bike.

After you feel comfortable rent a wave with gears and auto clutch to get familiar with shifting gears.

Then move on to a bike with a clutch, and release slowlyyyyyyyyyyy.

You've never ridden a bike, never had a MC license, and you want to learn in Bangkok... then upgrade to a CBR in 3-6 months. So sorry, I have to disagree with all posters except for possibly the R1 joker. At least with the R1 you won't feel a thing and it'll all be over quickly.

Seriously, consider just laying down til the feeling goes away. Yours is a mortally bad idea.

what's the procedure to get a license anyway here?

In Bangkok, I'm not sure you have to watch the 2 hours video first or not. After that, field test around the tract then written test. I took both licenses from a City north of Bangkok and it was in Thais. My Thais is terrible so I have to dig deep. It was easier.

In your case, learning motorcycle riding in Bangkok is a suicide mission. Maybe around the apartment, go to 7-11 or Lotus of something like that. Even then, man. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Just be very careful. Oh, DON'T even try or even think of keeping up with the scooter taxi guys. That's how you would turn yourself to a can of Pate.

That riding course seems like a very good idea. As it the plan do to a scooter for a few months, then upgrade when and if you feel like it (there's no need to stick to a fixed time plan after all).

Worked for me... I have a Euro motorcycle license, but never owned a bike back home.

So I think it's a good plan:

- Take the riding course

- Ride around on a scooter and learn the ways of Thai traffic. There's only two rules: Observe, and assume the worst. The latter can be surprising though because Thai drivers do things that you would never even dream of back in the west. Like zooming out of a small soi without looking - the Karma Turn. Or going the wrong way pretty much anywhere (even on the highway). Stopping behind a corner. The list goes on and on... if it doesn't make any sense, or is downright suicidal, they'll probably do it.

- Once you're solid on that, get a bike with a clutch - Sonic, CBR250, D-Tracker, etc... I'd recommend a 250, it's plenty powerful in the beginning.

- And once you're totally comfortable with that.... don't!. Never get comfortable! Pay attention.

It's not a suicide mission. Whether or not you kill yourself with a big bike depends mainly on whether you can contain yourself, or whether you start to get stupid and go too fast. It's easy to go too fast on a big bike - but no-one's forcing you to. Your skill level is much less important than knowing your limitations.

Edited by nikster

Sorry to burst your bubble, but... This is a very bad idea to get your confidence up on this thread without any rational basis whatsoever.

YOu've never ridden before, and youre wanting to go play in BKK traffic to learn how. We're not talking about a hobby or pastime - motorcycling demands your full-on attention & a high level of skills, balance, agility & a very cool head in dangerous situations. Its not just self-restraint that is required to survive.

YOur active responses to life-threatening events will play a large part in determining your fate when those DAILY attempts on your life occur via just your typical BKK traffic. Then there's the required survival mindset. Riding skills & mindset are honed over years, not a few months. Did you know that increasing your peripheral vision is a required skill, or even that you can develop it? And even just braking? Proper emergency braking alone takes lots of practice, and is right up there with the most important street survival skills.Add Thai road conditions & weather to conspire with the red bull-addled drivers, motos, dogs, carts & elephants.

Take up bicycling instead. And start the moto habit after you return to your sane home country.

But, I'm guessing you'll go out and do this anyway. SO here's some advice from a previous Cali Moto Safety Program instructor: Take a safety/skills course if available in LoS. Get a cheap, used scooter you don't mind seeing tossed & scratched. Ride only Sat & Sun mornings before 9:00AM for the first month. Practice at Seacon track or a vacant parking lot (Sun morning) to hone your skills using a good rider training book. Ride only that scooter for six months minimum, and never at dusk or darkness. Ride exactly like the rare 50 year old Thai scooter riders. They have it down. Have a great full face helmet & leather gloves because asphalt & steel really hurt. After that, if it feels right, go up to warp drive with not over a 250. Ride that for a year minimum before moving up to hyperspace drive via a bigger bike if you have the itch.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but... This is a very bad idea to get your confidence up on this thread without any rational basis whatsoever.

YOu've never ridden before, and youre wanting to go play in BKK traffic to learn how. We're not talking about a hobby or pastime - motorcycling demands your full-on attention & a high level of skills, balance, agility & a very cool head in dangerous situations. Its not just self-restraint that is required to survive.

YOur active responses to life-threatening events will play a large part in determining your fate when those DAILY attempts on your life occur via just your typical BKK traffic. Then there's the required survival mindset. Riding skills & mindset are honed over years, not a few months. Did you know that increasing your peripheral vision is a required skill, or even that you can develop it? And even just braking? Proper emergency braking alone takes lots of practice, and is right up there with the most important street survival skills.Add Thai road conditions & weather to conspire with the red bull-addled drivers, motos, dogs, carts & elephants.

Take up bicycling instead. And start the moto habit after you return to your sane home country.

But, I'm guessing you'll go out and do this anyway. SO here's some advice from a previous Cali Moto Safety Program instructor: Take a safety/skills course if available in LoS. Get a cheap, used scooter you don't mind seeing tossed & scratched. Ride only Sat & Sun mornings before 9:00AM for the first month. Practice at Seacon track or a vacant parking lot (Sun morning) to hone your skills using a good rider training book. Ride only that scooter for six months minimum, and never at dusk or darkness. Ride exactly like the rare 50 year old Thai scooter riders. They have it down. Have a great full face helmet & leather gloves because asphalt & steel really hurt. After that, if it feels right, go up to warp drive with not over a 250. Ride that for a year minimum before moving up to hyperspace drive via a bigger bike if you have the itch.

OP: I've been riding for nearly 40 years and living in Thailand for over half of that -- the advice in this thread is excellent but especially in the quote above(no surprise the poster has the background he does): I truly hope you take it to heart.