Yamaha Fino

Atmos

Odometer clicked over to 21,000km on the way to the beach this morning on our Yamaha Fino

Did a few calculations

21,000 in my 16 months of use = average 1300km per month, average 43km per day.

Estimate over 80% of this would be with a pillion on board

I've kept all receipts, not that there are many

Had services at various Yamaha dealers (started like in Phuket, now in Chanthaburi) at 1000, 4000 and every 3000km since them, as per service recommendation

Put a better shock on the back, standard one too soft for 140kg (that's two of us - not just me!) - 1200b

Replaced tyres

At last service had a new drive belt and some bushes replaced - before they were due but my 'preventative' maintenance tactic

Numerous tubes from punctures

Seat re-covered 300b the original one took in water through the seams and gave a damp butt for days afterwards - not a good look

A top box on the back - 1600 well-spent it's been ideal for overnight trips

Still on the original battery and light bulbs. I have used the kickstart once - just to see if it worked.

No fancy customising - too much time on dirt roads to consider the flashy bits.

I'm sure some people do more kms than this on their scooter, but I never expected to clock up the kms so fast. A neighbour bought a new Suzuki Hayate about the same time, when I spoke to him a few weeks ago he had yet to reach 2,000km, just trips to the local shops and back.

I've seen people's moans about Finos, carbs and tuning but this has never been an issue - maybe the continuous use on generally longer trips than using it as a 'shopping basket'?

When I bought it in Phuket it was mainly short trips - 24km return to the beach etc, when we went rural the kms really increased, a 90km trip to 'town and a lot of 3-4 day journeys exploring eastern Thailand.

Longest single ride was a bum-numbing 450km in a day. At pillion's request we broke the journey on the way back. We're 210km from my partner's farm property, need an auto-pilot for highway 317.

Top speed? An indicated 108. Not made for speed.

Don't know what to expect in terms of lifespan. Before buying i had a long-term rental Nouvo with 48,000 on the clock - had been poorly (or none at all) maintained and was sounding rtaher rough.

Nice report and I feel you hit the nail on the head by the good run that you have had out of the Fino. That being 'Preventative Maintenance' and not 'bandaid maintenance', which seems to be the norm in a lot of cases.

Though 21,000 isn't that much, I have heard stories of Fino plastic coming off, plastics falling apart, cracking etc, along with comments of too cheaply made. It would seem that you have gotten value for money. :)

yup - never had any 'bandaid maintenance' - hasn't been needed, and wouldn't have a clue anyway in terms of engine maintenance/tuning etc.

I clean it regularly, quick check to ensure nothing is loose, tyres properly inflated etc.

A standard Yamaha service is 250-400 baht.

We rented out both Fino and a Honda Click in Chiang Mai. Both were virtually new. Filled both up and did the same driving.

55kg girl on the Fino.

Combined weight of about 130kg on the Click.

Went to fill up the next day. The Click took 60thb. The Fino 110thb.

Big difference if you're averaging 40km per day.

^ something seriously wrong with that Fino; also have a Honda Sonic 125 and a 600 - I'd have noticed if the Fino used as much as your example.

Not saying the Fino is 'better' than any other, after all they are just scooters! we're not talking performance superbikes here.

Edited by Atmos

^ something seriously wrong with that Fino; also have a Honda Sonic 125 and a 600 - I'd have noticed if the Fino used as much as your example.

Not saying the Fino is 'better' than any other, after all they are just scooters! we're not talking performance superbikes here.

have had Finos, Mios, Nuovos, Nouvo Elegance, Clicks, airblades (carbed and injected), PCX, suzuki step/ hayate

the yammys run forever. new auto belt at 30-35k km at 990 baht including labour. carbs clog up if parked for weeks, except for that yammys totally hazzelfree, on par with Waves

as for fuel, not able to measure any significant difference,

as for performance, yammy elegance and suzuki injection on top, pcx to heavy to compete, but next on the ladder

finos old (9 years?) 115cc manual choke carb is not on par with competition