Credit Card

My local Bangkok Bank was very keen for me to have a credit card. All she wanted was a chunk of money which exceeded the limit of the card. So not really a credit card, more a debit card.

I personally think this is an excellent scheme.

It protects the customer and the bank.

But as with all things in Thailand, you have to personally go and talk. If they like you it is easy, if they don't it is difficult.

The General rule almost everywhere is you deposit the limit of the card, in some cases they may want more than you intend to use.

There is NO WAY you will get a conventional credit type card as you would in the west.

Edited by CharlieH

There is NO WAY you will get a conventional credit type card as you would in the west.

Absolute rubbish...I have had an "conventional" SCB credit card for nearly 10 years and got it about 6 weeks after arriving in country to start work.

In the case of the OP with a WP, if he has been on a WP for at least 2 years with same company, it may be possible, depends on what he earns and perceived risk by the bank....same same as in the West.

As per Soutpeel, a load of <deleted>.

K Bank gave me an unsecured credit card and the application process was very straight forward.

I have a Visa card from UOB Bank with TB 80.000 credit.

After I lost my job - about two years ago - I still can use the card.

It looks like ONLY when you apply for the card you must have an income, after that Visa don't care anymore as long as you pay your bills on time.....

I recently visited Branches of BBL, SCB, TMB and K.Bank asking about Credit Cards. At each branch I visited the answer was pretty much along the lines of placing a collateral deposit equal to the limit being approved on the card. This deposit would only be used in the event I failed to make the payment. However, as previously stated a lot depends on the Branch staff. If you are known to them or your company is, they may adopt a more lenient approach.

I also visited HSBC, Citi and Standard Chartered. They did not seek the collateral deposit but fees were higher.

Absolute rubbish...I have had an "conventional" SCB credit card for nearly 10 years and got it about 6 weeks after arriving in country to start work.

Likewise, I am retired, my only income is my pension, I have never worked in Thailand so don't have, or need a work permit, I was invited to apply for the Thai Amex Card, I did, and it was approved with a credit limit in excess of 300,000 Baht, certainly enough for my needs.

In the case of the OP with a WP, if he has been on a WP for at least 2 years with same company, it may be possible, depends on what he earns and perceived risk by the bank....same same as in the West.

Agree, I've got 2 "conventional" cards, one Visa, one Mastercard, Krungsri and Central respectively. Too big a limit on the Visa and got the Central card for general shopping. Said I didn't want a Platinum card just one with a small limit in case it was swiped or stolen etc. Still wound up with a Gold card and 6 figure limit (only wanted 30K max)

I had a car loan and paid it off quickly so have a good credit rating which helps, might be different now if you do not have the credit rating yet?

If you have a work permit for at least two years, you should not have any problem in getting a credit card (depending upon your salary).

The types of cards that you may qualify for will be based upon your salary amount. For example, KTC min requirement was THB 40,000 per month and Citi-bank 80,000 for standard card, so the range can vary significantly.

It seems that nearly all credit card companies in Thailand charges 20% APR, so the decision on what card you should apply for is more based upon the "perks" that you can qualify for.

For example, with the citi-m platinum select, you can get free valet parking at the Mall Bangkapi, they have special reserved parking areas at other Mall stores. They have a special lounge in the Mall for card members, you can get 2 passes a year for fast track customs, 2 passes a yr for lounge at BKK airport, free limo ride to airport if you buy ticket with your card, tons of promotions on hotels and restaurants, free road side assistance if your car breaks down, 3% discount on Gas purchases at Shell, 10% discount on all purchases at the Mall ... etc...

For example, with the citi-m platinum select, you can get free valet parking at the Mall Bangkapi, they have special reserved parking areas at other Mall stores. They have a special lounge in the Mall for card members, you can get 2 passes a year for fast track customs, 2 passes a yr for lounge at BKK airport, free limo ride to airport if you buy ticket with your card, tons of promotions on hotels and restaurants, free road side assistance if your car breaks down, 3% discount on Gas purchases at Shell, 10% discount on all purchases at the Mall ... etc...

Sounds all very like the Thai "elite" card, Thaksin and his cronies was peddling...:whistling: ....:D

One more thing... no matter which card you decide to go for, I would recommend applying for it at one cc stands that most card companies have in the shopping malls rather than inside a Bank Branch.

At the cc stands, these reps are paid based upon how many successful applications they have, meaning that they will bend over backwards to help you if you have a work permit and meet the min salary requirements.

If you apply at the bank Branch, I do not believe they have any similar 'bonus' for signing up more customers, so you are likely to be less helpful.

Sounds all very like the Thai "elite" card, Thaksin and his cronies was peddling...:whistling: ....:D

Maybe, but this one doesn't cost you anything, as long as you charge at least 300,000 per yr, no annual fee. (maybe this is why the "elite" card failed?)

Which is only 25,000 thb per month and since you get discounts on gas and at the supermarket in the mall if you buy with the card it is easy to spend 25,000 a month and just pay it off every month.

I went through all major banks and their credit card issuing requirements about a year ago. Standard Chartered was very helpful and easy, no deposit needed and min salary is only 30k for foreigner to get credit card. My WP was about a year old once I got my card.

I got a Credit card with SCB about 4 weeks after arriving here in 2006. The main things that allowed this was the Work Permit and the accounts manager at my company expediting the process.

At that time my salary was 161,000 per motnh and the credit card had a 160,000 limit so (I am guessing here) is that they initiallly set it to 1 months salary.

Shortly after this I got a Citibank credit card (SCB service in my opinion is terrible). The Citibank was also 160k

However I have found that Citibank just keep adding additional limit on without asking you (My current limit is 635,000).

AMEX keep sending me 'offers' and seem desperate to get a foothold in Thailand so they be worth a try also.

In short if you have an accounts manager ask her if she can assist in speeding up the process, but if you have a WP I think you should get one regardless...

BoT allows TH banks to issue credit cards to holders of Work Permit without security deposit

Non WP holders need security deposit 100-150% of cards limit

On an earlier thread I was advised that the reason I was able to get an Amex Credit Card without a security deposit as a non WP holder, is because they are registered in Singapore or Hong Kong so not a Thai bank, I don't know if that's the case or not, but certainly their website ends in ".co.th". I suppose thinking it through that should mean that Citibank or HSBC should be able to issue CC's to suitable applicants without work permits.

I have often wondered why work permit holders are considered a better risk than a long term retiree, not all workers earn mega bucks and could just as easily leave the country and default, whilst a long term retiree who may own accomodation and be settled here for many years and cannot obtain a card, under BoT rules, without leaving a security deposit and thus borrowing their own money. But hey ho, it's not my country and I don't make the rules.

They (Citi-M card) also have Blackberry and I-Phone aps that you can down load that allow you to check on "discounts".

You can search by country & city & category ( Spa & Health, Sports, Dining, Travel, and other) or you can search by "Nearby" and pick range of 1, 2,3,4 or 5 km from your current location...(search results are shown in English)

Edited by CWMcMurray

• 1 month later...

scb informed me yesterday that after next months direct deposit from my work I would be eligible for a credit card (not sure which..maybe platinum).

They had been unable to give me one before because my salary fluctuates as some of it is hourly-based and sometimes it would dip below 100k. Next month will be 6 months in a row at 100k+ which i guess is what they want (manager lady was looking at my statement history and counting the months)

scb informed me yesterday that after next months direct deposit from my work I would be eligible for a credit card (not sure which..maybe platinum).

They had been unable to give me one before because my salary fluctuates as some of it is hourly-based and sometimes it would dip below 100k. Next month will be 6 months in a row at 100k+ which i guess is what they want (manager lady was looking at my statement history and counting the months)

Ain't it great....Thais making a LOT less than 100K baht per month, but easily get a credit card.

Likewise, I am retired, my only income is my pension, I have never worked in Thailand so don't have, or need a work permit, I was invited to apply for the Thai Amex Card, I did, and it was approved with a credit limit in excess of 300,000 Baht, certainly enough for my needs.

4 years ago, I used to applied for an AMEX and it was refused as I don't have a work permit.

I have an AMEX in my own country and spend an average of 4000 USD/month !

I am wondering how did you filed the AMEX form ?

Thanks.

Edited by cosmont

4 years ago, I used to applied for an AMEX and it was refused as I don't have a work permit.

I received an application form in the post about four years ago, as I was a Thai Royal Orchid Plus Gold Card holder, I posted it back with the required bank statements, the card was couriered to me a couple of weeks later.

I honestly don't know if they missed the fact I don't have a WP, the card has just been renewed and is good until 2015.

I received an application form in the post about four years ago, as I was a Thai Royal Orchid Plus Gold Card holder, I posted it back with the required bank statements, the card was couriered to me a couple of weeks later.

I honestly don't know if they missed the fact I don't have a WP, the card has just been renewed and is good until 2015.

HI all

A couple of months ago I applied for a credit card through my bank, I am a UK pensioner and have never worked in Thailand so have never had a work permit, At the time I had funds of over 2million baht in the Bank,,,K Bank,

The young lady in the bank filled out the form for me and up till now they have not replied to my application,

I have since moved my bank to SCB ,, I may try again with them.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, phupaman