Abhisit Likely To Be Re-Elected As Party Leader

webfact

DEMOCRAT PARTY

Abhisit likely to be re-elected

By The Nation

The Democrat Party will likely vote to resintall Abhisit Vejjajiva for a second term as party leader, acting secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday, dismissing a rift over Abhisit's leadership.

"There is no rift within the party and I wonder where such speculation came from," he said.

Suthep said he was confident the Democrats would form an unanimous decision to rally behind Abhisit at the party convention, scheduled to convene next month.

Democrat MP-elect Ong-art Klampaiboon said rumours about certain Democrats from the South opposing Abhisit was groundless.

"I have talked with southern Democrats and they confirm their unwavering support for Abhisit," he said.

Speculation circulated that a number of Democrats had demanded a major overhaul of the party in the wake of the election defeat. They reportedly conveyed their message to party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai and former party leader Banyat Bantadtan.

They also blamed campaign strategists like Suthep, Korbsak Sabhavasu and Satit Wongnongtaey for poor performance, hence losing about 100 House seats to the rival Pheu Thai Party.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-11

It's the least this man deserves and I look forward to see him sparing with Yingluck in Parliament.

Good news for Pheu Thai, the old all talk no action loser is coming back. Preety well guarantees we wont see a democrat government for the foreseeable future.

It's the least this man deserves and I look forward to see him sparing with Yingluck in Parliament.

Good news for Pheu Thai, the old all talk no action loser is coming back. Preety well guarantees we wont see a democrat government for the foreseeable future.

It is indeed repeating the mistakes of the past. The country deserveses to have an opposition that is a viable alternative come an election. Sadly Abhisit makes the chance of that happening a lot less. Whether fairly or not the baggage has been attached to him in the eyes of voters across swathes of the country where he has been roundly rejected

I so hope he can make her cry out of frustration over all the big words he's using. :D

I'm betting she's gonna laugh. :rolleyes:

You have a point there, at least for the coming three - four year max ;)

I so hope he can make her cry out of frustration over all the big words he's using. :D

She was too afraid to debate with him before the election and I'm sure she'll do the same in Parliament. Thaksin very rarely answered questions in Parliament, leaving it to his juniors, afraid he couldn't win the debate or argument.

She was too afraid to debate with him before the election and I'm sure she'll do the same in Parliament. Thaksin very rarely answered questions in Parliament, leaving it to his juniors, afraid he couldn't win the debate or argument.

Don't think PM needs to debate with opposition leader in parliament. :)

It also had the psychological affect of him seeming above them all, and not even thinking them worthy of his time while the leader of the opposition had to debate an underling who everyone knew had no power and hence was on that level. Powerful imagery in a country where strong leaders are admired. With Yingluck it will be different. The opposition will find it hard to be hard on her. Her image is professional but feminine. That calls for an interesting set of debating skills against her. She probably wont be able to use the Thaksin strategy. Right now the disppopinted, angry, rejected democrats need to be careful they dont overdo the attacks on the government early on before they have done anything. It looks a trap the democrats are already about to fall into.

What amazes me is how quiet the PRO Taksin supporters have been

But now i see a good 50/50 ratio back on the forums...

im wondering just how many have switched sides with the winning party, just because they won... lol

here you go again top of the pile wonting the last goverment in power dont you know they lost outright , how many times give someone else a chance but i forgot you are doing ok so you dont care about the people further down the ladder !

im wondering just how many have switched sides with the winning party, just because they won... lol

Perhaps the PT supporters, or rather the people who voted for change, are comfortable to let the sore democrats wander around on the forum with their foot still firmly planted in their gobs.

Perhaps the PT supporters are not really the gloating type, but prefer to wait and see how the new government performs,.

What the continual no debate moaners appear to have missed, is the fact that Yingluck did not need to debate Abhisit,.......her party won

Perhaps the PT supporters, or rather the people who voted for change, are comfortable to let the sore democrats wander around on the forum with their foot still firmly planted in their gobs.

Perhaps the PT supporters are not really the gloating type, but prefer to wait and see how the new government performs,.

What the continual no debate moaners appear to have missed, is the fact that Yingluck did not need to debate Abhisit,.......her party won

Mmmh ... 'PT supporters, or rather people who voted ... let ... wander around on forum'

Personally I think about 98% of forum members maybe non-eligible to vote in Thailand and are just interested (for various reasons) in what happens in Thailand.

As for the debate, true Ms. Yingluck didn't need to. Mind you, still wondering how she may stand up in parliament?

Mmmh ... 'PT supporters, or rather people who voted ... let ... wander around on forum'

Personally I think about 98% of forum members maybe non-eligible to vote in Thailand and are just interested (for various reasons) in what happens in Thailand.

As for the debate, true Ms. Yingluck didn't need to. Mind you, still wondering how she may stand up in parliament?

Stand up in Parliament....................................I belive she has two legs Rubl...............................................since we are nit picking phrasing

Edited by 473geo

Stand up in Parliament....................................I belive she has two legs Rubl...............................................since we are nit picking phrasing

A bit more than just nit-picking, my dear chap. You start with 'PT supporters, or rather people who voted for change' and happily continue with 'PT supporters'. Makes one wonder who you talk about, or are you suggesting 'PT supporters' and 'people voting for change' are freely interchangeable ?

A bit more than just nit-picking, my dear chap. You start with 'PT supporters, or rather people who voted for change' and happily continue with 'PT supporters'. Makes one wonder who you talk about, or are you suggesting 'PT supporters' and 'people voting for change' are freely interchangeable ?

Yes, insignificant detail as far as my comment is concerned my dear chap......now I feel a man who does not know how people stand is likely to require substantial amounts of explanation regarding text.....I think I'll just quit while I'm sane

Edited by 473geo

Yes, insignificant detail as far as my comment is concerned my dear chap......now I feel a man who does not know how people stand is likely to require substantial amounts of explanation regarding text.....I think I'll just quit while I'm sane

No offence, but I've got some doubts on the sanity of posters in this forum, present company and myself included :D

No offence, but I've got some doubts on the sanity of posters in this forum, present company and myself included :D

Could be there's few IT types....;)

Any one heard from Bucholz lately?

An earlier post of mine has been deleted due to it being "A baiting post with the intention of causing a flame fest has been removed, as well as the replies to it." My apologies to the moderators so I will tone down my response accordingly.

In reply to how quiet the PRO T(h)aksin supporters have been......

I am not speaking on behalf of pro-T supporters, just my own thoughts. I'm bored and tired of the drivel expounded by anti-T supporters. Any and every initiative by PT/Yingluck/Thaksin is merely greeted by negative responses and criticisms. There is no longer any objectivity or intelligence to any political discussions so I prefer to just sit back and be entertained by ill-informed comments. Makes me realise how lucky I am to be able to live the life I live, where I am not embittered by my personal circumstances.

It is indeed repeating the mistakes of the past. The country deserveses to have an opposition that is a viable alternative come an election. Sadly Abhisit makes the chance of that happening a lot less. Whether fairly or not the baggage has been attached to him in the eyes of voters across swathes of the country where he has been roundly rejected

Well the democrats needs to hire a PR firm to set the record straight and they have 4 years to do it.

Well I have been a very vocal critic of team Thaksin and the reds in the past. However, it is clearly time to move as we had two years of the democrats and parliamentary allies supported by the establishment and military and able to enact populaist policies beyond anything before and rearrange the heirarchy of every state body. Then they held a let the people decide election on and the people have decided. They want PTP even after they have been showered with largesse from the other side.

It is not about which side you support, and I have never had much time for the either bunch, but accepting reality and what is best for the country, and supporting the wishes of the majority trumps supporting a decreasing minority who dont want to allow their opponents to play and who are willing to critically undermine peoples faith in any state institution to do so. We have had the let the people decide election. Their is a winner and a loser. Move on. The next election is time to judge the incoming government. Already though too many are trying to do so before they are even seated.

And to get back on topic reelecting Abhisit as their leader will leave the Dems unelectable at the next election too.

There is a good piece in the unmentionable media source too today about the "wind in the sails" of PTP/Thaksin/Yingluck which mentions the Dems being uncompetetive for years. Nailing their colours to the mast of establishment was a big mistake not only with those who dont like them but also with a fair number of their own supporters.

I think you are being just a bit harsh on ex-PM Abhisit --- he did after all lead the democrats to their second best ever electoral performance this century ---- this result is only 7 seats down from the 2007 result.

Well I have been a very vocal critic of team Thaksin and the reds in the past. However, it is clearly time to move as we had two years of the democrats and parliamentary allies supported by the establishment and military and able to enact populaist policies beyond anything before and rearrange the heirarchy of every state body. Then they held a let the people decide election on and the people have decided. They want PTP even after they have been showered with largesse from the other side.

It is not about which side you support, and I have never had much time for the either bunch, but accepting reality and what is best for the country, and supporting the wishes of the majority trumps supporting a decreasing minority who dont want to allow their opponents to play and who are willing to critically undermine peoples faith in any state institution to do so. We have had the let the people decide election. Their is a winner and a loser. Move on. The next election is time to judge the incoming government. Already though too many are trying to do so before they are even seated.

And to get back on topic reelecting Abhisit as their leader will leave the Dems unelectable at the next election too.

There is a good piece in the unmentionable media source too today about the "wind in the sails" of PTP/Thaksin/Yingluck which mentions the Dems being uncompetetive for years. Nailing their colours to the mast of establishment was a big mistake not only with those who dont like them but also with a fair number of their own supporters.

Thais tend to have short memory spans. If the PT does not deliver and/or the economy is going down the drain many will vote for another party than PT next time around and the balance could easily shift towards the Democrats.

Well I was going to report this to the Moderators as a blatant example of a fair and balanced post that has no place on the TV Forum! :D

BUT, instead I thank you for a reasonable post that lays out your thoughts in a non threatening or provocative manner. Unfortunately, no doubt this post will attract the usual suspects with their denuciations but I'm sure you can "weather the storm".

In addition to the democrats having "nailed their colours to the mast of the establishment", Abhisit himself made a big mistake by bringing the BJP on board, employing Kasit as Foreign Minister despite his baggage (not the most diplomatic FM that ever was and who famously described Thaksin as a bloody terrorist and likened him not only to Hitler, but Stalin and Mussolini too http://www.timesonli...icle7095956.ece) and compounded all this by making Suthep a DPM, not just once, but twice!

Not the most shrewd of men when it comes to picking a team that appeals to the popular vote in an election, it seems.

Thais tend to have short memory spans. If the PT does not deliver and/or the economy is going down the drain many will vote for another party than PT next time around and the balance could easily shift towards the Democrats.

The Dems have been waiting for that to happen for years. It isnt going to very soon imho although without Abhisit it is more likely and will happen sooner. When he became PM he wasnt disliked or anything in rural villages I go to. Now he is utterly hated (whether rightly or wrongly is irrelevant) and far more so than any local dem in those areas, and Im not talking about bright red but soft red areas. He used to be an advantage to the Dems now he is a massive hindrance.

If PTP goes down, I would think at this stage it is far more likely a new party formed around the Isaan and Northern power brokers will come to power than the Dems although to my mind PTP looks strong for a long time yet