Point And Shoot - Best For Macro And Food Photography

HI my cr*p Olympus tough 8000 died. Good riddance.

So now I want to buy a new ps and have no idea what the lens ranges mean.

I have narrowed my research to this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/screencapture20110710at.jpg

My options are between

Nikon Coolpix S6100  Nikon Coolpix S80  Canon PowerShot ELPH 500 HS  Nikon Coolpix S8100 

although just saw a post about the Canon PowerShot S95

again this will be for general use with an emphasis on food photos. I like macro photography too.

THank yoU!

If you want to do macros, the macro focus range at the bottom of your chart is relevant. The camera on the right focuses as close as 1 cm from the subject; so this will give you the closest macros.

But, read all the reviews you can find and handle them in the shop before deciding.

be interested in others' opinions on the Nikon Coolpix - and its durability.

I had one which died at 15mths - the electronics to open the lens/activate the zoom failed; bought another one, mainly as already had spare batteries/memory cards.

The LCD viewfinder screen failed at 4mths - unfortunately I'd bought this one in KL and the Nikon warranty is only valid in country of purchase - something to be careful of.

Nikon Thailand quoted 3000b to replace the viewfinder, i didn't bother.

Edited by Atmos

Not sure what your budget is misterman but a friend of mine has the canon g5 and swears by it. Its a bit bigger than your average point and shoot, but not much, its certainly not a compact, but it has more options and takes great pics.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong5/page2.asp

The Canon G5 went out of production years ago. The OP has his shortlist of cameras, not much point throwing in other options (of which there are hundreds).

hi -as the right people are 'here' - referring back to my post #5 and warranty claims, appreciate any info/experience on making a warranty claim here, and which (if any) cameras have a true international warranty

thanks

hi -as the right people are 'here' - referring back to my post #5 and warranty claims, appreciate any info/experience on making a warranty claim here, and which (if any) cameras have a true international warranty

thanks

My experience, based on cameras bought in Thailand:

Canon - Worldwide warranty and good service centre in Bangkok (tested after my camera joined me in a car crash and suffered some damage. Was not a warranty claim though). They did carry out an upgrade to one of my cameras under warranty.

Fuji - Worldwide warranty

Olympus - Worldwide warranty

Panasonic - Limited Worldwide warranty (not clear what "limited" means, but as I live here I don't care).

Sigma - Limited warranty, Thailand only

Looking up this information is a painful reminder that I have bought far too many cameras!

• 1 month later...