Ping River

Tonto21

I've been in Chiang Mai for a while now and never done a trip on the river Ping, I've promise the G/F we will do a trip soon……..Any do'or don'ts guy….any venders to stay clear of, any recommendations on who to go with?

Edited by Tonto21

The Riverside restaurant does a nice river cruise every evening. They charge 110 baht per person. They shove off at 8 pm, but suggest you arrive at least half an hour earlier to order your food and drink from their regular restaurant menu. They don't have any guides or program, just cruise for about 1.5 hr up and down the Ping. It's a nice way to enjoy their good food and have a pleasant evening. It's especially nice at Loh Khrathong time in November when the people are celebrating along the river and there are elaborate lighted barges, kind of like parade floats, set up on the river.

http://www.theriversidechiangmai.com/4-1-nightly_cruise.php

Agree with the above. But note that you can't actually get very far; you just boat up and down a bit along side the town. It's not deep enough throughout to actually go places.

The main boat trip in the North is up the Kok river from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai. That one has been on the traveller agenda forever. It seems less popular now, but it's still one of the better boat trips in the North. (And on the Mekhong of course into Laos towards Luang Prabang)

• 3 weeks later...

We had a pleasant trip up the river. they had a little coffee shop at the othe3r end. We paid 200 baht each about 3 years ago.

The one we took was just a little south of the Chedi hotel.:jap:

Yes, we too did this one, the coffee-shop had a small garden with loads of different Thai plants/fruits-trees, and I seem to recall some free fruit too ? :thumbsup:

It's especially nice at Loh Khrathong time in November when the people are celebrating along the river and there are elaborate lighted barges, kind of like parade floats, set up on the river.

:o Last time I was at the river for Loi Krathong, the boats (including police boats) were the main target for most fireworks and bombs being dropped off of bridges. I guess if you like living in war zones, its an enjoyable experience.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Tonto21,

Well, in terms of "don'ts," I strongly suggest that at Loy Krathong time you do not strap on enough large chunks of banana-root on your body to keep you floating high in the water, get in the river upstream of the major bridges on your back, then, after you are balanced, and out in mid-stream, insert a lighted candle in a socketed belt you've worn, light incense and float down-stream under the bridges holding the smoking incense in your hands.

Yes, if you do this, it will bring the Kon Chiang Mai people supreme sanuk, it may even get you in the Thai equivalent of the Guinness Book of Records as either the first "farang krathong," or the first "brain-dead farang krathong," but, honestly, it's risky.

Wiser, perhaps, to fall in love with someone half your age, and go down to the river to float your krathong with the beloved while imagining your life-saving's drifting away.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Agree with the above. But note that you can't actually get very far; you just boat up and down a bit along side the town. It's not deep enough throughout to actually go places.

The main boat trip in the North is up the Kok river from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai. That one has been on the traveller agenda forever. It seems less popular now, but it's still one of the better boat trips in the North. (And on the Mekhong of course into Laos towards Luang Prabang)

That sounds great, I gotta do my last ever visa run in September b4 I leave, would be nice to finish like that. Was wondering can I bring my bike so I could ride up to Mae Sai...?

That sounds great, I gotta do my last ever visa run in September b4 I leave, would be nice to finish like that. Was wondering can I bring my bike so I could ride up to Mae Sai...?

The long-tailed boat(s) depart Tha-Ton at 12.30 (only) every day, and carry up to a dozen people, often with their bags/rucksacks piled-up at-the-bow, so I guess no reason why you mightn't load a bicycle too ? !

Not sure what time the return-boat leaves Chiang Rai for Tha-Ton, but I think it's in the morning.

The long-tailed boat(s) depart Tha-Ton at 12.30 (only) every day, and carry up to a dozen people, often with their bags/rucksacks piled-up at-the-bow, so I guess no reason why you mightn't load a bicycle too ? !

Not sure what time the return-boat leaves Chiang Rai for Tha-Ton, but I think it's in the morning.

Ahh ok I was thinking more my small Honda click but if its passengers, rucksacks etc probably not