Pheu Thai Win Gives Hope For Veera's Imminent Release

webfact

SPY CHARGES

Pheu Thai win buoys hope for Veera's release

By The Nation

A brother of detained nationalist activist Veera Somkwamkid yesterday expressed hopes for the imminent release of Thai activists from a Cambodian prison now that the election-winning Pheu Thai Party is about to take office.

"Our family [believes] the new government would not have any problems with Cambodia and so would pave the way for the release of my brother," said Preecha Somkwamkid.

Veera and Ratree Pipattanpaiboon were arrested last December on charges of espionage while inspecting border areas near Sa Kaew province. They were sentenced to eight and six years respectively.

Veera's family urged the Pheu Thai Party, which is on good terms with Phnom Penh, to help release the two activists months ago after learning the government under Abhisit Vejjajiva had failed to do so.

The Pheu Thai Party is working with Phnom Penh to free the two Thai activists and hopes for good news when prime minister-elect Yingluck Shinawatra takes power, a party source said.

After Pheu Thai won the election, Preecha said he felt the attitude of Cambodian authorities was relaxed and cooperative during his visit to Veera last Friday.

"There is no longer any tension and many people I met there said my brother would be released soon," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-12

It would make for a kind positive gesture to release these people. Win win for all concerned. The fools learnt their lesson, the PTP gets points for helping, and the Cambodians for a humanitarian act. The only ones that need worry are the former Abhisit cabinet members that were aware of the visit and that may have encouraged it. In any case, it's time to free these people and maybe they will spill the beans. :D

My guess is that he'll be a pawn in the 'reconciliation' process. After all, every side must benefit and his release could appease the PAD, paving the way for the 'bigger picture'. I'm sure he will serve his purpose when the time comes, but let's not kid ourselves about who will be making that decision. :angry:

My guess is that he'll be a pawn in the 'reconciliation' process. After all, every side must benefit and his release could appease the PAD, paving the way for the 'bigger picture'. I'm sure he will serve his purpose when the time comes, but let's not kid ourselves about who will be making that decision. :angry:

I'm not sure that Cambodia will be included in any "reconciliation" process. This is just a side issue which will be used for separate political purposes.

I'm not sure that Cambodia will be included in any "reconciliation" process. This is just a side issue which will be used for separate political purposes.

Like I said it's just a guess but it would make a nice bargaining chip for Thaksin and he does have influence over there. It's not easy to acquit yourself, many people will have their part to play over the next couple of years, willing or not.

Anyway, I'm just enjoying my freedom of speech which is a luxury we've all had since Sept 2006 :D

It would make for a kind positive gesture to release these people. Win win for all concerned. The fools learnt their lesson, the PTP gets points for helping, and the Cambodians for a humanitarian act. The only ones that need worry are the former Abhisit cabinet members that were aware of the visit and that may have encouraged it. In any case, it's time to free these people and maybe they will spill the beans. :D

Or it will look like a set up to burn the Dems from day one.

Imminent release, reminds me of this:

"Posted 2011-04-04 15:44:11

Veera's mother seeks Thaksin's help

The mother of yellow-shirt activist Veera Somkwamkid Monday sought help from former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to free her son from Phnom Penh prison.

Wilaiwan Somkwamkid appealed for Thasksin's help by submitting a letter to Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit."

Source: Cambodia to Free Thais When Pheu Thai Party Takes Office

The Pheu Thai International Delegation is planning an official meeting with the leader of Cambodia after forming the next government.

The source said that recently, a senior party member, not Thaksin Shinnawatra, met with Cambodia PM Hun Sen.

The delegation tried to persuade Cambodia to release Veera Somkwamkid and Ratree Pipattanapaiboon, who have been imprisoned in Cambodia for more than 6 months on charges of trespassing and espionage.

The source stated that it's likely that both Thai nationals will be released after Yingluck Shinnawatra takes term as PM.

It's thought that Cambodia will release the Thais to strengthen the relationship between the two nations.

Last April, both Ratree and Veera's families submitted a letter to Pheu Thai Party and ousted former Thaksin Shinnawatra, asking them to negotiate with Hun Sen.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Party pledges to help the two men, as well as Siwaruck Chutipong, who has also been charged with espionage.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-12

footer_n.gif

Source: Cambodia to Free Thais When Pheu Thai Party Takes Office

The Pheu Thai International Delegation is planning an official meeting with the leader of Cambodia after forming the next government.

The source said that recently, a senior party member, not Thaksin Shinnawatra <snip>

Any relation to Thaksin Shinawatra?

Or have the scribblers at TAN forgotten how to spell?

If this does happen, it would be a big slap on Veera's face. I mean having a Shinawatra led government help barter his freedom. If he really holds strong to his principles, he should request not to be released.

I dont really see how, if you are subject to an injustice, why it should matter who negotiates your freedom just as long as you are freed. Any deal after all is between the new government and the Cambodians. The government is supposed to look after its citizens whether that citizen supports them or not. I really dont understand the logic behind this comment.

If this does happen, it would be a big slap on Veera's face. I mean having a Shinawatra led government help barter his freedom. If he really holds strong to his principles, he should request not to be released.

I dont really see how, if you are subject to an injustice, why it should matter who negotiates your freedom just as long as you are freed. Any deal after all is between the new government and the Cambodians. The government is supposed to look after its citizens whether that citizen supports them or not. I really dont understand the logic behind this comment.

I think the PAD take on it would be that Veera and his PA were fooled into going on that trip by the Democrat MP or someone in the Democrat Party. It's well known that Veera has enemies everywhere. He's an investigative journalist (lawyer by background?) and specializes in making video-reports that embarrass civil servants, school principals, etc. who direct public monies into their own pocket. He was led into the trip to the border area by reports of the injustice to villagers there over land and taxes. It's quite obvious that his jailing in Cambodia is just political tit-for-tat and, hence, it wouldn't matter to him which side gets him out. In any case, the PAD have no more time now for the Dems than they have for Pheua Thai. They're going off on a tangent of their own.

Edited by Xangsamhua

It would be good to get them out....but don't fool yourself, it's all one big dirty political slimefest - for all. If Thaksin hadn't sold his a$$ in the first place to the Cambodians we wouldn't be in this mess.

That is one simplistic view, another is that the whole border skirmishes issue etc has to do with the driving force behind the reds, and Thaksin 'working' for the Cambodians along with some quid-pro-quo.