Feline 911

My little kitten was outside tonight and was attacked by an adult cat. I heard a cat comotion outside and told my wife (who was next to the door) to open it and see whats up. A big adult cat was tangling with my little cat. My little cat streaked in like a bolt of lightning.

This happened on the 2nd floor of our little apartment. This cat really went out of it's way to get my cat.

There was blood on the hind leg of my cat and it is limping. It was also scared sh_tless. It took some time for me to coax him out from behind a drawer.

I plan to take the cat to the vet to get it checked out but I also plan to kill this cat that attacked my cat. I went after it with an axe but missed when I flung it at the little terrorist cat.

Two questions:

1. What health issues for the cat and my family should I be concerned about?

2. Anyone know of any good cat traps?

I've got two cats, a little (sterilised) siamese girl and a little (in-tact) tom-cat.

She chases the dogs away and will rip apart anything that she dont like the look of, he gets his ass kicked by gecko's!!!

Go figure :D:o

sbk is right though, and unless your planning on keeping the kitten indoors 24/7 the poor little moggy is going to have to get used to unfriendly comptition. Its one of the reasons i keep two cats, they play fight a lot which helps teach them to fight proper...

Good luck, and i hope the kitten gets better soon!

Keep your cat inside? Cats are territorial you know, and you have just introduced your cat into this cat's territory. Is your cat sterilized?  This might solve alot of problems.

It's not sterilized. I usually keep it inside but it likes to go out a little. Maybe I have to convince the other cat that this is not its territory anymore. My neighbors have told me this cat is very mean.

Funny, how this sounds similiar to the problem in the south of Thailand.:o I think I'll increase my patrols outside, break up any cat gatherings after 8pm, and arrest any cat who disagrees with my plan. :D

This is a Cat-tastrophy for my little feline and we will get to the bottom of this before the end of my term....... :D

Is your cat male? I am guessing the invading cat is male too. I have found that the male cat will get along with the female cat and vice versa whereas they see a cat of the same sex as a threat.

I can't stress enough the need to get your cat desexed. Otherwise the fighting will be constant and shorten it's life. If it's female the cycle of pregnancy and birth will eventually kill it. My cat is a local cat, just a starving stray kitten when she showed up and is now a beautiful, healthy cat of 15! lizziesm.jpg

My cat is a male. I was driving down a country road in the middle of no where 3 months ago and saw a little tiny kitten on the side of the road. It was a very cute kitty so I stopped, turned around, picked it up and took it home.

My wife says she understand about getting it de-sexed; however, she is pregnant and a little superstitious and worries about harming life in any kind of way. She feels that harm might effect our unborn child. I want her to be happy so the cat gets to keep its sex drive.........for now. The cat probably had better learn to fight. :o

Edited by richard10365

Keep your cat inside? Cats are territorial you know, and you have just introduced your cat into this cat's territory. Is your cat sterilized?  This might solve alot of problems.

It's not sterilized. I usually keep it inside but it likes to go out a little. Maybe I have to convince the other cat that this is not its territory anymore. My neighbors have told me this cat is very mean.

Funny, how this sounds similiar to the problem in the south of Thailand.:o I think I'll increase my patrols outside, break up any cat gatherings after 8pm, and arrest any cat who disagrees with my plan. :D

This is a Cat-tastrophy for my little feline and we will get to the bottom of this before the end of my term....... :D

Sterilize her or hiom - you should anyhow and it will cut down on conflict now and in the future .

There are human rat traps sold all over the place that might catch a cat if it's not too large...wire box things that you put food inside and a door slams shut when they go for the food. With that you could catch the aggressor and have him sterilized too, a more humane approach than the axe and will make him less mean.

Oh and forgot to add -- the health risk to worry about is rabies, but only if your cat was unvaccionated at the time of the fight or you yourself got bitte by the other cat.

In any case, anybody living in Thailand should have the human rabies vaccine. Mucho rabies here and a lot of painful shots if you have to be treated post-exposure.

Sterilize her or hiom - you should anyhow and it will cut down on conflict now and in the future .

There are human rat traps sold all over the place that might catch a cat if it's not too large...wire box things that you put food inside and a door slams shut when they go for the food. With that you could catch the aggressor and have him sterilized too, a more humane approach than the axe and will make him less mean.