Drink Driving Penalties

teddy_bare

Be aware,

A mate of mine was stopped in Bangkok on Rama 9 heading East at 3am. The police tested him and he was over the limit. At the police station he was locked in a cell and then later bailed by his wife for 20,000 baht. The day after he had to report back to the police station at Makkasan. From there he and his wife made their way to the courts on Ramkhamheang Road. The court was full of other people accused of drink driving. The judge read out each charge and the individuals went up to pay the fine. Between 5000 and 7000 baht. Some individuals were questioned and then my friend was questioned. Fairly routine questions and not really investigative. He was then told he was on probation for 2 years and received 24 hours community service and is banned for 6 months. Apparently everyone else also received the same sentence only the fines differed.

After court he had to go to the Probation Office on Ladpro road, where they took his photo with a name/number card hanging from his neck. Some more paperwork, including a map of where he lives and he was issued a small yellow book with 4 dates, 3 months apart. He has to report to the probation office every 3 months on the date or be arrested and spend 2 months in jail. His community service requires the giving of blood at the Chulalongkorn Hospital on a given date dictated by the Probation Office. Each blood taking counts as 4 hours.

The last bit of info is slightly confusing as he was told even after serving his 2 years probation he could still have to serve his 2 months. That bit seemed strange as I always thought probation was in lieu of prison. Maybe lost in translation or just a normal threat to make individuals adhere to the probation.

Subsequently, my mate has given up drinking!

Edited by teddy_bare

Your mate was an idiot and he was very lucky.

Taxis are cheap insurance. Everyone should learn how to use them. Even way out to the suburbs the ride won't be more than 300 baht. Killing someone is 100,000 baht at a minimum. It's just plain stupid to drive drunk.

At least in Phuket, where there is no reasonably priced public transport, I could understand the imperative to drink to excess and drive home. Still disagree with it, but at least I can understand the philosophy behind why someone would do it. In Bangkok there is just no excuse other than a mental disorder.

Thank you for bringing this story to our attention so we can all be reminded of the penalties.

Because of the BSE thing in the UK and Europe at the time. The staff at Chula will ask you if you were there during the years xx to xx, and if you say yes you cannot give blood.

He is from the UK, but hasn't been given a date to give blood.

No need to give up drinking. I find that if you just stop the drinking and driving you don't need to worry.

My understanding is that he is feeling remorseful and guilty and in response is taking sensible action to avoid future infingements.

He was offered to pay a bribe of 6000 baht on the way to the police station, but refused on principle. So I think he has some moral fibre, just poor judgement on the drink driving.

he has some pride too, as he hasn't asked me for a lift yet.

No need to give up drinking. I find that if you just stop the drinking and driving you don't need to worry.

My understanding is that he is feeling remorseful and guilty and in response is taking sensible action to avoid future infingements.

He was offered to pay a bribe of 6000 baht on the way to the police station, but refused on principle. So I think he has some moral fibre, just poor judgement on the drink driving.

he has some pride too, as he hasn't asked me for a lift yet.

I'm pretty sure that Richb2004x2 would have paid the "bribe fine", and then complained about it to no end. Haven't you left yet?

:angry:

Chiang Mai (3 weeks past)

8,000bht fine

18hrs in police cell

2 months suspended sentence

Threatened with passport handed to immigration and deportation unless tea money, settled bottle Johhny walker black label.

Conclusion

Don't stop at police check point, drive past.

PS

Not me.