Repair Nightmare For Classic Honda

dictater

I have an 84 GB 250 that I've owned for five years. I have been through some rough times getting this bike worked on, earlier this spring I had the engine rebuilt, timing chain, pistons at my local shop. Well it took the mechanic four months to finish the job, kept saying that he couldn't find the right chain. Since I've gotten it back I've barely ridden, taken it on some short 60-80 K run in rides. Then last week took the bike from here, Kanchanaburi to Surin. Everything was fine bike ran great but then on the way home just out of Buri Ram bang snap dead on the road. So I got the bike home and surprise surprise my mechanic who is always so friendly when I'm handing him money doesn't want to hear about it. This is not the first mechanic to have screwed the engine, which was in fact perfect before he opened it. It is the third engine in this bike each previous engine killed by faulty work. It was well know and agreed upon by both Thais and expats alike that Kan is a black hole for motorcycle work, but what I need it to find a mechanic in the surrounding area that has been tried and tested and get the work done once and for all, Im through with these A$$holes in Kan. Any recommendations? Any one have an old bike that's been well worked on? BKK-Ratchaburi-Ban Pong anywhere in the central area. Thanks all

Been there done that.. My suggestion is try and get a good engine from Japan or look on the net a find out if there is a NEW copy engine from a chinese company.. my friend just bought a reworked CG125 that now has a 'Lifan' 200cc engine (all changes done in the green book)

If on the other hand your bike does not have a green book then i would say part it out on Mocyc and get a new (newer) bike.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110304225320AAu6dqs

or if it has a book. then just buy another one and change the book over onto it..

Have fun.... me i would just go and buy a Tiger 250 or Honda cbr250

Sadly I cannot recommend a place for you but your dilemma makes me bring up a point to anyone trying to fix up a car or bike here.

I think anyone to trust a local to fix a bike is daring.

I try to give Thais the benefit of the doubt but I'm constantly reminded how stupid and/or careless these people are.

Some examples:

1. Recently I took my bike to Pirelli Bangkok to have the wheels balanced. I saw them using proper electronic torque wrenches so thought they knew what they were doing. When I got home my right front axle slider fell off because they never tightened it. Somewhere around Sukhumvit Soi 77 is a left axle slider for a DTX250.

2. I made a full scale CAD drawing for a 2" circle, 2mm thick, with a 1" circle cut into it (basically a big thick washer) and gave it to a shop and discussed every dimension. A few days later I got a 0.5mm thick piece; worthless.

3. My friend had some new wheels put on his truck. The same shop that sold and installed the rims failed to put on the axle spacers so the wheels weren't centered on the axles.

4. The guys at Bikers in Chinatown installed 60,000B of parts on a friend's CBR250 and they used red threadlock. I thought it was because they didn't want the parts to be stolen, but when asked they just never knew the difference between blue and red threadlock.

5. Club517superbike added some parts to a friend's Ninja and they used no threadlock at all so when the rider got home the shifter was all out of whack because the adjuster nuts were rattled loose.

6. I watched 3 Thai guys spend over an hour trying to figure out how to install a horn on a scooter. The horn had 3 wires: positive, negative, and signal. The diagram was even written in Thai on the box. They gave up and never installed it.

7. Another time I drew and physically showed how I wanted to widen my footpegs with some additional metal to a weld shop. I marked the pieces right and left. The next day I saw the pieces were welded on backwards because that was the easier thing to do. You can't just do that since you're reducing clearance to the shift/brake levers.

8. I brought 2 brackets already mounted on my bike to a weld shop to be welded together. I told the guy he should weld it together on the bike after I remove the ECU and battery so it will be aligned properly. So of course he took it all off the bike and guessed where he should weld. I had to bend it all back to fit on the bike.

So it may sound harsh to call these people idiots but I have not been very successful in getting anything done right the first time.

Either this country doesn't appear to teach basic science or most of the guys in repair/weld shops don't go to school.

When it comes to the general dangerousness of bikes, I suggest you double check a shop's work or do it yourself.

I'm scared to own a nice car of bike here because I'd be afraid when I hit the brakes that a caliper will fall off.

Edited by ttakata

Sadly I cannot recommend a place for you but your dilemma makes me bring up a point to anyone trying to fix up a car or bike here.

I think anyone to trust a local to fix a bike is daring.

I try to give Thais the benefit of the doubt but I'm constantly reminded how stupid and/or careless these people are.

Some examples:

1. Recently I took my bike to Pirelli Bangkok to have the wheels balanced. I saw them using proper electronic torque wrenches so thought they knew what they were doing. When I got home my right front axle slider fell off because they never tightened it. Somewhere around Sukhumvit Soi 77 is a left axle slider for a DTX250.

2. I made a full scale CAD drawing for a 2" circle, 2mm thick, with a 1" circle cut into it (basically a big thick washer) and gave it to a shop and discussed every dimension. A few days later I got a 0.5mm thick piece; worthless.

3. My friend had some new wheels put on his truck. The same shop that sold and installed the rims failed to put on the axle spacers so the wheels weren't centered on the axles.

4. The guys at Bikers in Chinatown installed 60,000B of parts on a friend's CBR250 and they used red threadlock. I thought it was because they didn't want the parts to be stolen, but when asked they just never knew the difference between blue and red threadlock.

5. Club517superbike added some parts to a friend's Ninja and they used no threadlock at all so when the rider got home the shifter was all out of whack because the adjuster nuts were rattled loose.

6. I watched 3 Thai guys spend over an hour trying to figure out how to install a horn on a scooter. The horn had 3 wires: positive, negative, and signal. The diagram was even written in Thai on the box. They gave up and never installed it.

7. Another time I drew and physically showed how I wanted to widen my footpegs with some additional metal to a weld shop. I marked the pieces right and left. The next day I saw the pieces were welded on backwards because that was the easier thing to do. You can't just do that since you're reducing clearance to the shift/brake levers.

8. I brought 2 brackets already mounted on my bike to a weld shop to be welded together. I told the guy he should weld it together on the bike after I remove the ECU and battery so it will be aligned properly. So of course he took it all off the bike and guessed where he should weld. I had to bend it all back to fit on the bike.

So it may sound harsh to call these people idiots but I have not been very successful in getting anything done right the first time.

Either this country doesn't appear to teach basic science or most of the guys in repair/weld shops don't go to school.

When it comes to the general dangerousness of bikes, I suggest you double check a shop's work or do it yourself.

I'm scared to own a nice car of bike here because I'd be afraid when I hit the brakes that a caliper will fall off.

While ago i got a flat rear tire while out on a journey with my motocyc, On seeing a rubber smith on the other side of the road i had a feeling of elation thinking this repair would be a fast and painless procedure, I mean the guy looked kind of serious about his work...he even had a roof,

The guy took the motocyc under his roof and as he put it on the main stand i noticed a small nail in the rear which i pointed out to him with the idea he could mark it and not have to look for it later but all i got was a knowing grin, I assured myself as this guy only does this all day and nothing else not much could go wrong, My jaw dropped when he picked a very bent wrench and put in on the wheel axle nut then holding on to the bike took a jump with both feet onto the wrench in the wrong direction,

I had to physically pull him off and explain his mistake as he was about to take the 3rd jump, I swear i only took my eyes of the whole repair procedure for less than 30secs but as he was tightening the axle nut back at the end i noticed he had put the tire on back to front (wrong rotation)

Took me a few minutes to convince him that it was,nt meant to be like that and he finaly stopped saying mai pen rai.