No Booze Sales Friday And Saturday - Asarnha Bucha Day

george

ASALA BUCHA DAY

No booze sales Friday and Saturday

Selling alcohol beverages Friday and Saturday is a legal offence, which carries a maximum fine of Bt10,000 and/or up to six months in jail.

Today [Friday July 15] is Asarnha Bucha Day, which falls on the fullmoon day of the eighth month in the Buddhist calendar. It is celebrated each year to commemorate the first sermon delivered by Lord Buddha a few thousand years ago.

Saturday is also an important day in Buddhism, the Buddhist Lent Day.

"Laws prohibit the sale of alcohol on four important religious days, which include the Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent days," Public Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Dr Siriwat Thiptaradl said yesterday.

He said alcoholic consumption was against the key precepts of Buddhism and was often responsible for crimes as well as road accidents.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-14

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/budethics.htm

try to educate myself on Buddism and indeed for that fact the Muslim relgion. the link goes into basic buddism and the rules and guideline but it is not some thing i reckognise with the buddist way of life here. i would like to think that tomorrow when i drive around the village i wont see locals buying and drinking alchohol but i know i will. again it will just be a hard line taken on tourist areas.

i wont drink on the 2 days because i hate all the messing about with coffee mugs and closed shutters etc, but for people coming here on holiday who are non buddist after already 2 weekends of closures really does not make sence. Thailand seems quite happy to sell as much alchohol as it can to tourist, and also consume it in vast quantaties.

even seen temple fairs on budda day selling alchohol when all the bars were closed but in the grounds of the temple buy what you like from the vendors. soi 7-8 and walking steet have dozens of monks every morning, looking for money from the bars and working girls. cant get my head around that one either.

http://www.buddhanet...g/budethics.htm

try to educate myself on Buddism and indeed for that fact the Muslim relgion. the link goes into basic buddism and the rules and guideline but it is not some thing i reckognise with the buddist way of life here. i would like to think that tomorrow when i drive around the village i wont see locals buying and drinking alchohol but i know i will. again it will just be a hard line taken on tourist areas.

i wont drink on the 2 days because i hate all the messing about with coffee mugs and closed shutters etc, but for people coming here on holiday who are non buddist after already 2 weekends of closures really does not make sence. Thailand seems quite happy to sell as much alchohol as it can to tourist, and also consume it in vast quantaties.

even seen temple fairs on budda day selling alchohol when all the bars were closed but in the grounds of the temple buy what you like from the vendors. soi 7-8 and walking steet have dozens of monks every morning, looking for money from the bars and working girls. cant get my head around that one either.

It is called:-

T.I.T. HYPOCRISY

I would like to add that you probably missed that this is the fourth alcohol free weekend in line for Pattaya.

Edited by janverbeem

Today [Friday July 14] is Asarnha Bucha Day, which falls on the fullmoon day of the eighth month in the Buddhist calendar. It is celebrated each year to commemorate the first sermon delivered by Lord Buddha a few thousand years ago.

Friday is the 15th

It is called:-

T.I.T. HYPOCRISY

If this is the law, then we all will have to put up with it.. Problem it is not always enforced especially in the provinces.

If the Asarnha Bucha Day is so sacred, and alcohol is frowned upon==see the quote===

He said alcoholic consumption was against the key precepts of Buddhism and was often responsible for crimes as well as road accidents.

That being the case, why not have a alcohol year round ban. so it doesn't matter if crimes,and road accidents happen on the other350 odd days ???????????

Most Thai drink alcohol on these days, and they always say they respect the temple. :jap:

If this is the law, then we all will have to put up with it.. Problem it is not always enforced especially in the provinces.

If the Asarnha Bucha Day is so sacred, and alcohol is frowned upon==see the quote===

That being the case, why not have a alcohol year round ban. so it doesn't matter if crimes,and road accidents happen on the other350 odd days ???????????

Most Thai drink alcohol on these days, and they always say they respect the temple. :jap:

Prohibition didn't work in the USA, even brought more problems. You'd see something similar here.

I'm not one for abstinence, just moderation coupled to some limits and law-enforcement. Am I too optimistic, idealistic or naïve?

Prohibition didn't work in the USA, even brought more problems. You'd see something similar here.

I'm not one for abstinence, just moderation coupled to some limits and law-enforcement. Am I too optimistic, idealistic or naïve?

When using the word prohibition in this context or generally speaking about Alcohol Prohibition it is assumed to be a complete ban of Alcohol. The US and its states, cities and counties still regulate when, where, to whom and how Alcohol can be sold. This includes not selling during specific time or days as well as some areas actually having a complete ban on alcohol sales.

Personally I don't get people getting worked up about this and it certainly is not he business of foreigners to get involved with laws such as this. The laws have been around a long time and it just seems strange to get worked up about them especially since they should have been known to anyone coming here. If they came here without knowing then they only need to look in the mirror for blame if this creates such turmoil in their life. It is like moving to a country that has a complete ban on alcohol and then getting worked up when you are there because they have this law.

Police to crack down on booze sales today and tomorrow

Published on July 15, 2011

By The Nation

Selling alcohol beverages today and tomorrow is a legal offence, which carries a maximum fine of Bt10,000 and/or up to six months in jail.

Today is Asarnha Bucha Day, which falls on the fullmoon day of the eighth month in the Buddhist calendar. It is celebrated each year to commemorate the first sermon delivered by Lord Buddha a few thousand years ago.

Tomorrow is also an important day in Buddhism, the Buddhist Lent Day.

"Laws prohibit the sale of alcohol on four important religious days, which include the Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent days," Public Health Ministry deputy permanentsecretary Dr Siriwat Thiptaradl said yesterday.

Siriwat said laws allow only hotels to serve alcoholic drinks on the four important religious days.

"We have already instructed all provincial publichealth offices across the country to coordinate with provincial governors as well as police to prevent the alcoholicbeverage sales on Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent days," Siriwat said. He said random checks would be conducted today and tomorrow.

Dr Samarn Futrakul, who heads the Office of Alcohol Beverage Control, urged people to alert authorities at 025903342 if they found any shop selling alcohol on these two days.

"We will receive the calls around the clock," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-15

Here's a tip for those that really need a drink today or tommorrow,there is a place that dispenses free drinks legally,it's called Royal Orchid Plus lounge,located just beyond Immigration in the departures level at Suwannabhumi Airport.Oh!You will need to be departing business class for access.

I am not a Buddhist, do I have to obey Buddhist laws and rules? What about freedom of religion?

I understand your questions, but you're in Thailand, and therefore must obey the secular laws. The secular laws circumscribe the times and days when you're allowed to purchase and/or consume alcohol.

Buddhism is the state religion. Countries with state religions may or may not be tolerant of other religions, but in this case about alcohol consumption, it's the secular laws that apply. So, freedom of religion is a separate topic.

Again we are talking about alcohol ,is it the people that own bars??? or just that there are Somedays that they dont sell alcohol. I said in one of my posts IF YOU NEED a drink why not buy before the Day arrives.(Buddhist Lent Day).I have, i keep stock so i can drink when i wont.

Now if you Run a Bar i can understand but as someone has said these days have been around longer than all of us.

I am not a Buddhist, do I have to obey Buddhist laws and rules? What about freedom of religion?

It is not a Buddhist law, it is a Thai law. I'm sure you are not Thai either but it would be very disrespectful for you to not remove your shoes when going into a home here but I guess you can tell them since you are not Thai that it is okay for you to pick and chose what rules and customs you will follow regardless of being insulting to others. Although Thailand is approx. 95% Buddhist, you do have freedom of religion. The US also has freedom of religion but numerous places are closed on Christian holidays including public schools and most bars and businesses.

Given that the law doesn't apply to Hotels it would seem Thailand has already considered tourists more than enough.

It is not a Buddhist law, it is a Thai law. I'm sure you are not Thai either but it would be very disrespectful for you to not remove your shoes when going into a home here but I guess you can tell them since you are not Thai that it is okay for you to pick and chose what rules and customs you will follow regardless of being insulting to others. Although Thailand is approx. 95% Buddhist, you do have freedom of religion. The US also has freedom of religion but numerous places are closed on Christian holidays including public schools and most bars and businesses.

Given that the law doesn't apply to Hotels it would seem Thailand has already considered tourists more than enough.

Thank you for the info on (It is not a Buddhist law) but thai law. The longer i stay in thailand the more i Learn. :)

As usual we see it all boils down to a religious belief. Religion in sanity out!!

Religion has always, and still is, the greatest enemy of peace in our society and our world.

Personally I don't get people getting worked up about this and it certainly is not he business of foreigners to get involved with laws such as this.

I don't see anyone getting 'worked up about this' on here. I see lots of people commenting on it - which is what this site is for, right - and why Thailand seems good at snubbing that little golden nugget called the tourist. I also find it kind of grating those that comment 'this is the law, deal with it'. How dull.

Bars closing doesn't bother me personally, I just find it kind of childish together with the face thing that surrounds their warped version of Buddhism. I wonder if the dude that stabbed the old Thai guy to death the other day for a bit of money will be observing the non-alcohol rule... I guess it won't make much difference as he'll simply merit-make on Sunday. <_<

Mans interpretation of religion is the culprit!

As usual we see it all boils down to a religious belief. Religion in sanity out!!

Religion has always, and still is, the greatest enemy of peace in our society and our world.

Evey three months whenever a buddist holiday comes around do we have the same repetitive arguments about why non buddist aren't allowed to purchase alcohol. Jeez if you're life revolves around alcohol so much I suggest you need help, give your liver a break and have a couple of days off. We all chose to live in a different country and so just get on with it and accept some of the cultural aspects, instead of expecting a wholesale transfer of western ideals to Thailand. We have to bend to suit Thailand, not the other way round. If Thais choose to disrespect their own culture by drinking (on days like today) that shouldn't be our cue to copy and do the same.

Clearly by allowing hotels to sell alcohol to guest, Thailand has shown a degree of flexibility and understanding towards its visiting guests. As residents we should know better as we pride ourselves on integrating with the locals, don't we?

Your quite right my wife dragged me off to the a local temple this morning here in Chiangmai. I saw the local vendors inside the grounds with various brands of beers displayed on the front of thier tables and well stocked fridges. Maybe the monks and temples are exempt under this law. Sort of like playing two up in Australia on Anzac Day. (RSL Clubs) Will be interesting to see if another thread emerges on here how the BIB have conducted raids on Temples and arrested all the monks.

Nisa, Who really gets worked up about this, heavy drinkers?? only something to discuss talkabout whatever, I for one don't give a dam_n about the 2 days-it's the tourists AND the double standards=flouting of the law=the law is conected to the Ideals of budism as one of the top 5 (commandments here is alcohol)a no no ==my point is if the religion says it's bad why not ban it for all time not on monk days or voting. So its free style for 360 days of the year? Abide by the law we can It's the BUT"S that we post about in general, so relax and take into account it's the heavy drinkers that get worked up about it only.

I for one don't give a dam_n about the 2 days-it's the tourists AND the double standards=flouting of the law=the law is conected to the Ideals of budism as one of the top 5 (commandments here is alcohol)a no no ==my point is if the religion says it's bad why not ban it for all time not on monk days or voting. So its free style for 360 days of the year? Abide by the law we can It's the BUT"S that we post about in general, so relax and take into account it's the heavy drinkers that get worked up about it only.

That is the reason I stopped going to church in the UK, I realised that I was in a large room where a good percentage of the other occupants acted like complete &lt;deleted&gt; for six days of the week, but because they sang a few hymns on the seventh, that made it all Ok.

I have no problem with any religion when taken at face value, but I do have a large problem with those that use religion as an excuse to satisfy their own sadistic needs.

Personally I don't get people getting worked up about this and it certainly is not he business of foreigners to get involved with laws such as this. The laws have been around a long time and it just seems strange to get worked up about them especially since they should have been known to anyone coming here. If they came here without knowing then they only need to look in the mirror for blame if this creates such turmoil in their life. It is like moving to a country that has a complete ban on alcohol and then getting worked up when you are there because they have this law.

Must be a big hit on the bars and clubs....feel bad for them and all the workers. Personally, if I want a beer or even to get a bottle of Johnny Red I know of about 10 mom and pop places a 5-10 minute drive around my house that will sell to me. 3 of those are within 500 meters of schools, and sell any time day or not. So no big deal. Just because Foodland and Tesco aren't allowed to sell booze, it doesn't stop smaller places from getting out the black plastic bags :)

Buddhism is the state religion. Countries with state religions may or may not be tolerant of other religions, but in this case about alcohol consumption, it's the secular laws that apply. So, freedom of religion is a separate topic.

Interesting how Thais have made Buddhism a religion. In my eyes Buddhism is supposed to be the antithesis of religion (I'm a Zen Buddhist). Course if you want power and $$ you gotta have control....thus make it an official religion for your country and you are set!:lol:

Edited by tominbkk

For those of you who say 'why get so worked up?' If you don't care about the weekend alcohol ban, why make comments about it? If it doesn't effect and or bother you, don't worry.

I work hard all week (Usually 6 days a week) and I enjoy some beers on a Sat night. Call me sad. I accept this ban because I have no other choice. It's a silly law that doesn't make any sense.

thailand should come out and portray its self through TAT as a country where alchohol is banned on many days in Thailand, then everybody knows before they book holidays and spend hard earned cash elsewhere, travel 24 hours then have 2 weekends of your holiday with closed bars. people spend hard earned cash to come here with a picture of an easy going fun country to come and have a good time, then bars closed for 2 weekends. yes expats can stock up, whats the tourist to do drink out of mini bar in room. theres one hell of a party arranged 5pm to 1am in a certain hotel that owns a go go bar, girls will be in at most bikinis, drink will flow freely participants will be buddist. i was invited but will not be attending because it will be rammed full i think. was bored with beeing asked why farang not come, well guess going to be asked even more. meanwhile vietnam is leaving thailand in its trail even America has said its courting other countries for an ally in the region.

1 god, thats money, and that s the root of ALL evil.

Edited by NALAK