And So You Bought The Sg2

Didn't help, still lost connection at the same time on two different phones within 3 km of each other at the same time. Looks like its Trues problem. But on a side note my battery life seems to be improved by disabling fast dormancy but it could be my imagination, i'll give it a few days to see if it actually improves.

Well so far it seems to be working, to anyone interested heres how. dial *#9900# then disable fast dormancy. Fast dormancy only works if the phone and the carrier support it. I think True does not. here are the source of anyone wants further reading

XDA

ComputerWorld

It has been happening on two of the phones which are both used in the same area (Bang Kapi) since they were bought on release date, the third was only purchased sunday and is being used in the Sukhumvit area, seems to happen less there. Im thinking it might just be True and all this 3g stuff going. I disabled fast dormancy to see if that has any effect. ill report back later.

I don't think fast dormancy addresses the lost network problem at

all (it only changes the switching time from H back to 3G). I never

kept 3g on. However WiFi was always one when I got the no-network

circle.

rudi

I think this is the phone's problem. I have sg2 with true and never have phone signal. My work bb also on true always has full bars/3g. So true network working on one phone but not another sitting right next to it.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here the situation, me and two of my buddies have the phone. Two of the phones where bought from True these are the ones having the connection issues, these two are being used in the Bang Kapi area both i9100T. The other was bought from the Samsung store but my friend picked the AIS version, however he uses it on True in the Sukhumvit area and experience no network dropping. All have 3g/H+ signs. Also my network drops are random and only about twice a day, requiring a reboot then it turns back on.

What Baseband version do you have? Settings, About phone, Baseband version. It sounds like Samsung has released newer versions, like KF3 (last 3 characters of the baseband version), which may be available to you via KIES. A new modem would/could/might address issues you are experiencing.

Watup's issue is more challenging to understand. With a known, good SIM and GSM bands enabled you should be able to register on the True network.

Finally, it sounds like one of justsumhelp's buddies has an i9100 (AIS version) working on True 3G? Did I understand that correctly? If so, that seems like positive news re: quad band support. But I'd still like to hear about, maybe with screenshots, i9100T's running on both AIS and True and i9100's running on both AIS and True.

Currently in England my SG2 has no issues whatsoever and I find the battery lasts me all day sometimes two.

I receive hundreds of emails a day on 3 accounts and have wireless and GPS enabled all day. Play the occaisional game and have loads of chats on whatsapp ( best instant cross network messenger)

My wife charges her SG1 (My old phone) every day without fail.

I think I'll stick with Samsungs stock rom.

If you need extra battery life then buy one and a charger from Ebay for about £10 that'll help if your away from power for a couple of days.

The i9100 has service while the two i9100T dont. We

are all in the same bar off lower Suk

This feels like a modem problem, specifically that DCKF1 which looks like a special build for the i9100T in Thailand only. The other modem, DXKF1, appears to be more generic. Does 3G "work" all the time? Or is it subject to your loss of network?

I've found a few posts in Thai forums on this issue but not enough to indicate an endemic problem?

If I were daring I might flash a different modem zip file from recovery but that can be an involved, challenging and potentially problematic.

I would return the phone to the point of purchase and discuss the issue and your options. I might also contact True. It is either a configuration issue (you), a bad unit (or two in your case) (Samsung/retailer), maybe a SIM/account/IMEI issue/network issues (True).

Often when troubleshooting a problem the user changes every possible configuration setting and then is pretty much hosed until another set of eyes can look at it.

Edited by lomatopo

I think it may be a modem problem as well, I've already rooted my phone so I will flash a modem sometime this week. I already think my buddy with the other i9100T is at a breaking point and will either be returning the phone for a refund or exchanging it soon. I will hold out for a while and tinker away. It is 3g and voice that stop working, but in the last 24 hours it has been mostly just 3g. Very erratic but seems to happen most while charging.

The i9100 has service while the two i9100T dont. We

are all in the same bar off lower Suk

This feels like a modem problem, specifically that DCKF1 which looks like a special build for the i9100T in Thailand only. The other modem, DXKF1, appears to be more generic. Does 3G "work" all the time? Or is it subject to your loss of network?

I've found a few posts in Thai forums on this issue but not enough to indicate an endemic problem?

If I were daring I might flash a different modem zip file from recovery but that can be an involved, challenging and potentially problematic.

I would return the phone to the point of purchase and discuss the issue and your options. I might also contact True. It is either a configuration issue (you), a bad unit (or two in your case) (Samsung/retailer), maybe a SIM/account/IMEI issue/network issues (True).

Often when troubleshooting a problem the user changes every possible configuration setting and then is pretty much hosed until another set of eyes can look at it.

Again, having a menu pick does not mean you have functionality. You really need to try (install SIM, get a data plan, configure APN, etc.) both True (or DTAC) and AIS to insure both 850 and 900 Mhz 3G functionality.

I have a 850/1900/2100 Samsung Captivate, and as you can see I can select 900 Mhz 3G, but it does not work. And no, flashing another modem does not magically enable 900 Mhz. (The baseband IC in my phone can support 850/1900/2100 or 900/1900/2100, but is not re-programmable. The baseband IC in the SGS2 is penta-band, but I still do not know if anyone has verified 850 and 900 Mhz functionality. Reading XDA threads does not qualify as verification.

As 3G isn't released in a meaningful way in Thailand, even popping in a sim card and testing isn't so easy. But I agree, the only way to know for sure is to try with 2 sims, one using the 850 Mhz band and the other using 900 and see if you get 3g. Samsung would not separate the model numbers if there weren't some internal differences. I got the i9100t, but it may have been the wrong choice now that AIS is pushing ahead with 3g.

Back to the topic at hand, I was coming from the HTC Desire Z and the Galaxy S2 is light years beyond the HTC. The screen is outstanding, everything runs fast and smooth, and the vast array of customization options (the reason I chose android to begin with) means that any small niggles I had with the phone (Touchwiz) can be fixed. The camera is excellent for phone camera, although I agree with the others that the front facing camera is a bit average(but really, guys, how often do you really use that camera?).

Battery life for me is perfectly acceptable. It was a bit weak the first week or two, but seemed to stablize now at being able to run a full day of moderate to heavy use and end up around 30-40% remaining. This is with video skype calling, wifi on constantly, regular reading of RSS feeds, some music player, internet browsing, facebook, a photo here and there, some whatsapp, and generally using the features of the phone. This comparing with the Desire Z, which I used less, would barely make it to the charger at the end of the night. I get between 4 to 4 1/2 hours of screen time with the screen running at 25% brightness (more than sufficient for me). I've heard people can run the screen for 5 hours with some tweaks, but I've never had the need to eke more battery life out because I charge the phone every night. Really, I don't think the battery should be a concern when considering the phone. Unless you're going for an iphone, I'm not sure you'd get better battery life from any other phone this powerful.

If I have one quibble it's that the wifi radio seems less sensitive than on my Desire Z. It hasn't caused me any major inconvenience, but may for some if they already have a weak signal with their current phone.

All in all, I'm totally satisfied, and really don't think there's another handset on the market or coming out in the near future that comes close. Samsung just seemed to get everything right with this product.

Is the third "AIS" phone also a I9100T ? Or is it a I9100 ?

Does anybody use the I9100T with TRUE and does NOT have any disappearing network problems ?

rudi

I also bought the i9100t on launch day from a true shop, but am using it with DTAC. So far I haven't seen this issue. Has anyone on DTAC seen this issue, or is it restricted to True? That might help narrow down if it's a carrier compatibility problem or a radio problem.

I think it may be a modem problem as well, I've already rooted my phone so I will flash a modem sometime this week. I already think my buddy with the other i9100T is at a breaking point and will either be returning the phone for a refund or exchanging it soon. I will hold out for a while and tinker away. It is 3g and voice that stop working, but in the last 24 hours it has been mostly just 3g. Very erratic but seems to happen most while charging.

Hi justsumhelp, so did you try different radio firmware ?

Cheers,

rudi

Not yet, im still trying to decide which one to flash.

Hi justsumhelp, so did you try different radio firmware ?

Cheers,

rudi

Is anyone who bought the phone having network issues? For example, Im using True, my network will randomly cut out and I will get a circle with line through it and a triangle with an explanation point . I will not be able to receive calls or text and not data. This will go away when I reboot the the phone. I can confirm this problem on two other galaxy s2 both on True. I checked all three phones and the APN settings are correct. All are on 2.3.3. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I can confirm that the i9100 works out of the box with True.

So who can verify the i9100 model working on True, or the i9100T model working on AIS?

I guess I am confused. You say that you are having problems, then say it works? Are the other two SGS2 models having connectivity issues with True also i9100? Are these problems just related to GSM (voice, SMS, GPRS)?

Can you connect via 3G? What are your download and upload speeds?

Finally, can you use an AIS SIM (maybe borrow) to verify 900 Mhz 3G?

I have the i9000 and use AIS .

As mentioned earlier I did a speed test and got 362 kbps down and 208 kbps up.

Today I inserted a True sim and got 2773 kbps down and 131 kbps up.

Killed GPS :(

Updated to the KG6 modem ill report back later

KF1 to KG6 is quite a leap. Why KG6? That appears to be a leaked 2.3.4 modem for God knows which country. Are you running a custom 2.3.4-based ROM?

The second letter and the the third number indicate the progression so...

KF1

KF2

KG1

I would progress through different modems sequentially, looking for one which might be compatible. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

I figured i would just give it a shot since it was new. Im back at DXKF1. Also Im using Oxygen rom which is 2.3.5

KF1 to KG6 is quite a leap. Why KG6? That appears to be a leaked 2.3.4 modem for God knows which country. Are you running a custom 2.3.4-based ROM?

The second letter and the the third number indicate the progression so...

KF1

KF2

KG1

I would progress through different modems sequentially, looking for one which might be compatible. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

I figured i would just give it a shot since it was new. Im back at DXKF1. Also Im using Oxygen rom which is 2.3.5

You should try to use a proven ROM/modem combination. Have you sorted out the True connectivity issue? Can you make phone calls? Connect to the internet?

In this game new is bad, old is good. Let someone else be on the bleeding edge. For most it's a smartphone which provides significant utility; mobility and connectivity. For others it's a hobby toy.

This is definitely a toy for me, and its to early to tell if the issues have been sorted out with the new modem. I can make calls and connect to the internet. As far as the other phones The AIS phone with DXKF1 is still working fairly well no forced reboots to gain network connectivity. My Buddies TRUE phone with DCKF1 is still losing network and data, requiring a reboot to regain it. He is taking it to Samsung this weekend to see what they say.

You should try to use a proven ROM/modem combination. Have you sorted out the True connectivity issue? Can you make phone calls? Connect to the internet?

In this game new is bad, old is good. Let someone else be on the bleeding edge. For most it's a smartphone which provides significant utility; mobility and connectivity. For others it's a hobby toy.

Im on the DXKF1 now. Since flashing I have had zero network issues and fast gps locks (near 20 seconds). I did not give the KG6 enough time to determine if it improved network connectivity.

Besides the GPS problem, did you see any improvements with TRUE

network ?

Thanks,

rudi

Im on the DXKF1 now. Since flashing I have had zero network issues and fast gps locks (near 20 seconds). I did not give the KG6 enough time to determine if it improved network connectivity.

So you flashed the AIS version of the modem? Did you use ODIN? How is your 2G performance? 3G performance? How is the call quality?

It seems like that original modem was flawed?

This post talks about KF4 --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113928&page=31

I extracted the modem from

XWKF1

Firmware info

PDA:XWKF1

PHONE: DXKF1

Date: 04/06/2011

OLB (SIN, XME): http://www.multiupload.com/U95BI5QVDL

and flashed it via odin. Call quality is as good as I have had so far in thailand (only can compare to iphone 3gs). Speed test using speedtest.net app are now all within the same range, 650-800 kbps down and 100-200 kbps up on 3G (Thaivisa speedtest gives me around 1900 down 50 up on both singapore and bangkok servers). 150-200 kbps down and 50-70 kbps up on 2G. From what I can tell the modem was the problem. I'll let everyone know what Samsung has to say when my friend brings his phone to the service center on Saturday. Maybe more people are having this problem??? I can really find much about it on Thai forums but then again im armed only with google translate. If anyone wants ill upload the modem.bin here that way you dont have to download the whole thing (277 mb).

the AIS version can be found here, but its extracted by a user who isnt sure of the extraction steps http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=15678070&highlight=DXKF1#post15678070

So you flashed the AIS version of the modem? Did you use ODIN? How is your 2G performance? 3G performance? How is the call quality?

It seems like that original modem was flawed?

This post talks about KF4 --> http://forum.xda-dev...1113928&page=31

Edited by justsumhelp

Well my friend got in touch with me about his trip to the samsung service center at MBK. The end result, they told him to switch to AIS. Great answer glad the Samsung employees are so well versed in the technical workings of their products. More amusingly they offered up a number of great idea's for him e.g. uninstall Lookout mobile security, turn off data sync, and quite possible the best "'dont use vibrate mode". After calling them all fools and making his way up the employee food chain the head guy told him to "switch to AIS as many people with TRUE phone have big problem" once again my friend told the manager that this is not an acceptable option. This apparently caused much confusion and 30 minutes later the manager returned with the option for my friend to leave his phone while they mail it to Korea for software. When enquiring about a replacement phone he was offered the response that "he should to borrow from friend", once again resorting to name calling the manager then produced a phone albeit extremely old an missing several keys. Finally there was a F***k off moment. I have since flashed the DXKF1 modem to his phone and so far no problems. So just a little heads up to anyone thinking about buying the TRUE version of the S2, there seems to be alot of problems with the software/firmware on the phone. Several personal experiences from me and an admission from the Samsung service center attest to that.

So just a little heads up to anyone thinking about buying the TRUE version of the S2, there seems to be alot of problems with the software/firmware on the phone. Several personal experiences from me and an admission from the Samsung service center attest to that.

This friend uses True 3G? Since you modified his phone it still works on True 3G? And after some period of time (hours, days?) it does not have the same problems it had before?

Which version, of the SGS2, do you have? Which service provider do you use?

"he should to borrow from friend".

Made my day! I am using the KG6 and it works well.

And which version did you buy? Which service provider do you use? I think you are changing custom ROMs every day? Or are you Stock?

With the upcoming DTAC 3G launch in metro-Bangkok (on 850 Mhz) I'm trying to figure out which model/version to recommend.

Can anyone confirm using a STOCK i9100 ("AIS" version) working on True 3G (also 850 Mhz)? Screenshots appreciated.

True 3G screenshot example:

post-9615-0-79980200-1312808251_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Yes my friend uses True 3g with the 9100T, as do I. His up time with the new modem had been around 1 day and no problems so far.

Yes the STOCK I9100 ais version works on True 3g. I dont have any screen shots and i dont feel like bother my buddy to take some and email them to me, besides I dont really know what they would prove because if i had a reason to lie about this I would just photoshop them and place them up.

So just a little heads up to anyone thinking about buying the TRUE version of the S2, there seems to be alot of problems with the software/firmware on the phone. Several personal experiences from me and an admission from the Samsung service center attest to that.

This friend uses True 3G? Since you modified his phone it still works on True 3G? And after some period of time (hours, days?) it does not have the same problems it had before?

Which version, of the SGS2, do you have? Which service provider do you use?

"he should to borrow from friend".

Made my day! I am using the KG6 and it works well.

And which version did you buy? Which service provider do you use? I think you are changing custom ROMs every day? Or are you Stock?

With the upcoming DTAC 3G launch in metro-Bangkok (on 850 Mhz) I'm trying to figure out which model/version to recommend.

Can anyone confirm using a STOCK i9100 ("AIS" version) working on True 3G (also 850 Mhz)? Screenshots appreciated.

True 3G screenshot example:

Mine get quite hot as well, when it does this check to see what programs are running and how much CPU % they are using. Sometimes i have problems with gReader, starts using 50% + of cpu and my phone get scary hot. I just kill it and it cools down.

my i9100t from truemove gets hot while browsing or playing games for around 10 mins, is it normal?

Lomatopo, I use the AIS version. Lighting 5.0. No issues at all. No, I do not change rom every day. Strange thing to say.

Justsum, I have not had issues with the gps, but then again, I have not thoroughly tested it. I use speednav and it works well. I can do further testing and post results here. Will do so tomorrow.

but mine is like always hot!, battery temperature around 37c and gets up to to 45c

while charging

Mine get quite hot as well, when it does this check to see what programs are running and how much CPU % they are using. Sometimes i have problems with gReader, starts using 50% + of cpu and my phone get scary hot. I just kill it and it cools down.

my i9100t from truemove gets hot while browsing or playing games for around 10 mins, is it normal?