And So You Bought The Sg2

1) Notifier LED. Would blink if I had a missed call/SMS

BLN, and Blinky are your friends.

There is also a Google Maps battery bleed issue. Plenty of power usage monitors, filters, notifiers available.

I am amazed that so many people are tinkering with custom ROMs so soon after purchase. What features and functions are these providing that are not available in the stock version?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Notifier LED. Would blink if I had a missed call/SMS

BLN, and Blinky are your friends.

There is also a Google Maps battery bleed issue. Plenty of power usage monitors, filters, notifiers available.

I am amazed that so many people are tinkering with custom ROMs so soon after purchase. What features and functions are these providing that are not available in the stock version?

Thanks so much for the tip Lomatopo !

Regarding custom ROMs, I wonder as well. It looks like I will

have to at least root, in order to use blinky (I have to read up

more on it though).

So far, the biggest promises made by 3rd party ROMS are

speed, and better battery conservation. Does seem like a

contradiction to me ... how can you get more speed and

use less battery at the same time ?! Anyway, that's what

they seem to promise ... I am still waiting, with my SGS 2 ...

Cheers,

rudi

I have been using my S2 for a week now. The first thing I noticed was how light the device is. I used an HTC Legend HD before.

I don't understand why Samsung makes 2 different models, one for AIS and one for True. What's the point? Why not combine both in one?

Things I don't like:

- when I turn it on (from stand-by), I have to wipe right to left, which sometimes needs 3 or 4 attempts until it works. You can actually swipe it any direction, just find what is comfortable.

- the "On" button is on the right side. When I pick up the phone to turn it on, I seems to always push the "On" button together with the volume control button.

- I am unable to place a "favorite contacts" on one of the home screens. You can do this by creating a folder, naming it 'Favorites' then placing your favorite contacts inside, a bit long winded but it works.

- the "Back" and "Menu" buttons are not always visible. So sometimes I fumble around to find the right spot. (My wife tells me the same thing :whistling: )You can adjust the time that they are on or leave them on permanently by going to Settings -> Touch key light duration.

- Front camera is crap.

I am loving this phone, in fact I have not felt this way since the Nokia N95. This phone is really a beautiful piece of hardware (this coming from a long time Nokia user!)

So, Phil, you have 3G data service always turned on ? Or WIFI ?

I usually turn it on only when I need it. Typically I have both off. I was

thinking to install some app that would turn on the WIFI every 2-3

hours to do an update, and than turn it off again. Has anybody tried

that ?

Yes I always have both on, otherwise how will I receive push-notifications for new mail and such, the whole point of having a smartphone for me. It'd be like having a Ferrari and disable half of the cylinders to save gas ;)

GPRS automatically switches on/off depending on whether I'm on a working wifi connection, so only one of them are ever on at the time.

There's an Android app called InterNetMittence which turns off the 3G connection on your schedule, so if you don't need push email, etc., you can make it fire up every hour, for example, check emails, and close down the 3G again.

Link

Unless you are on a time-based data plan this seems unnecessary. Most email programs allow you to "pull" email on a periodic basis. I never turn 3G off, unless switching to WiFi. Can you describe why you use this program? To extend battery life?

Yes, sorry I should have made that clear.

Besides the screen, having 3G and Wifi on when you are not using the phone is a waste of battery.

Custom roms such as CM7 tend to be very buggy and have many issues with wifi, camera, etc. not working properly. I have played around with numerous customs roms on a variety of Android devices and eventually always wind up back with a rooted stock rom using bloatware freezer to hide the crap I don't want to see. Stock roms are generally, with some exceptions, more stable although you cannot overclock them without flashing a new kernel in most cases. Plus when flashing there is always the possibility of bricking your device. I have hard and soft bricked a few phones in the past, with one resulting in permanent death. If you don't want to take a chance on killing your new smartphone friend, just root the stock room and be content with that.

Edited by jackbox

I use the Samsung Galaxy S. I looked at the S2 the other day and it was bigger (wider and longer) than my SGS, it was a bit off-putting and I decided not to get it for the time being as I am still happy with my SGS.

I use the Samsung Galaxy S. I looked at the S2 the other day and it was bigger (wider and longer) than my SGS, it was a bit off-putting and I decided not to get it for the time being as I am still happy with my SGS.

I'm a bit the same, I have a Galaxy Cooper and am OK with that.

My GF has the Galaxy Mini, maybe I'll get the SG2, give her the Cooper and she can donate the Mini to her sister.

Then again for the price of the SG2 I could buy another iPad !

Edited by GM1955

Is anyone who bought the phone having network issues? For example, Im using True, my network will randomly cut out and I will get a circle with line through it and a triangle with an explanation point . I will not be able to receive calls or text and not data. This will go away when I reboot the the phone. I can confirm this problem on two other galaxy s2 both on True. I checked all three phones and the APN settings are correct. All are on 2.3.3. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Is anyone who bought the phone having network issues? For example, Im using True, my network will randomly cut out and I will get a circle with line through it and a triangle with an explanation point . I will not be able to receive calls or text and not data. This will go away when I reboot the the phone. I can confirm this problem on two other galaxy s2 both on True. I checked all three phones and the APN settings are correct. All are on 2.3.3. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Hmm, that doesn't sound great. Has this been happening since you purchased the phone?

FWIW, I did receive a True service message re: network problems in certain areas. Maybe this is the cause of your issues?

that ?

Yes I always have both on, otherwise how will I receive push-notifications for new mail and such, the whole point of having a smartphone for me. It'd be like having a Ferrari and disable half of the cylinders to save gas ;)

GPRS automatically switches on/off depending on whether I'm on a working wifi connection, so only one of them are ever on at the time.

Sorry off topic - Phil, you turned red? Just noticed.

It has been happening on two of the phones which are both used in the same area (Bang Kapi) since they were bought on release date, the third was only purchased sunday and is being used in the Sukhumvit area, seems to happen less there. Im thinking it might just be True and all this 3g stuff going. I disabled fast dormancy to see if that has any effect. ill report back later.

Hmm, that doesn't sound great. Has this been happening since you purchased the phone?

FWIW, I did receive a True service message re: network problems in certain areas. Maybe this is the cause of your issues?

that ?

Turned red? Sorry I don't understand ... :huh:

that ?

Turned red? Sorry I don't understand ... :huh:

Red for Mod ?

Edited by MrsMills

Well so far it seems to be working, to anyone interested heres how. dial *#9900# then disable fast dormancy. Fast dormancy only works if the phone and the carrier support it. I think True does not. here are the source of anyone wants further reading

XDA

ComputerWorld

It has been happening on two of the phones which are both used in the same area (Bang Kapi) since they were bought on release date, the third was only purchased sunday and is being used in the Sukhumvit area, seems to happen less there. Im thinking it might just be True and all this 3g stuff going. I disabled fast dormancy to see if that has any effect. ill report back later.

Yes, I had this problem as well.

I was able to first solve it by forcing TRUE as my provider in the

networks (instead the Auto).

Than secondly, I switched back to AIS, never had any issues

again.

Cheers,

rudi

Well so far it seems to be working, to anyone interested heres how. dial *#9900# then disable fast dormancy. Fast dormancy only works if the phone and the carrier support it. I think True does not. here are the source of anyone wants further reading

XDA

ComputerWorld

I don't think fast dormancy addresses the lost network problem at

all (it only changes the switching time from H back to 3G). I never

kept 3g on. However WiFi was always one when I got the no-network

circle.

rudi

Didn't help, still lost connection at the same time on two different phones within 3 km of each other at the same time. Looks like its Trues problem. But on a side note my battery life seems to be improved by disabling fast dormancy but it could be my imagination, i'll give it a few days to see if it actually improves.

XDA

ComputerWorld

I don't think fast dormancy addresses the lost network problem at

all (it only changes the switching time from H back to 3G). I never

kept 3g on. However WiFi was always one when I got the no-network

circle.

rudi

I can confirm that the i9100 works out of the box with True.

So who can verify the i9100 model working on True, or the i9100T model working on AIS?

I guess I am confused. You say that you are having problems, then say it works? Are the other two SGS2 models having connectivity issues with True also i9100? Are these problems just related to GSM (voice, SMS, GPRS)?

Can you connect via 3G? What are your download and upload speeds?

Finally, can you use an AIS SIM (maybe borrow) to verify 900 Mhz 3G?

Here the situation, me and two of my buddies have the phone. Two of the phones where bought from True these are the ones having the connection issues, these two are being used in the Bang Kapi area both i9100T. The other was bought from the Samsung store but my friend picked the AIS version, however he uses it on True in the Sukhumvit area and experience no network dropping. All have 3g/H+ signs. Also my network drops are random and only about twice a day, requiring a reboot then it turns back on.

Speed test on phone on True in Bang Kapi. 688kbps down 41 kbps up Thaivisa speedtest connecting to singapore

1410 kbps down 13kbps up Thaivisa speedtest connecting to Bangkok. (Strange but tested multiple time)

392kbps down 25 kbps up Speedtest.net app connecting to Bangkok

Couldnt wake my drunk friend up to give me his speedtest results yet.

I can confirm that the i9100 works out of the box with True.

So who can verify the i9100 model working on True, or the i9100T model working on AIS?

I guess I am confused. You say that you are having problems, then say it works? Are the other two SGS2 models having connectivity issues with True also i9100? Are these problems just related to GSM (voice, SMS, GPRS)?

Can you connect via 3G? What are your download and upload speeds?

Finally, can you use an AIS SIM (maybe borrow) to verify 900 Mhz 3G?

Here the situation, me and two of my buddies have the phone. Two of the phones where bought from True these are the ones having the connection issues, these two are being used in the Bang Kapi area both i9100T. The other was bought from the Samsung store but my friend picked the AIS version, however he uses it on True in the Sukhumvit area and experience no network dropping. All have 3g/H+ signs. Also my network drops are random and only about twice a day, requiring a reboot then it turns back on.

Is the third "AIS" phone also a I9100T ? Or is it a I9100 ?

Does anybody use the I9100T with TRUE and does NOT have any disappearing network problems ?

rudi

Its a I9100

Is the third "AIS" phone also a I9100T ? Or is it a I9100 ?

Does anybody use the I9100T with TRUE and does NOT have any disappearing network problems ?

rudi