Japan beats U.S. in penalty shootout to win FIFA Women's World Cup

News_Editor

Japan beats U.S. in penalty shootout to win FIFA Women's World Cup

2011-07-18 13:29:01 GMT+7 (ICT)

FRANKFURT, GERMANY (BNO NEWS) -- The Japanese women's national soccer team on Sunday beat the U.S. national team in Frankfurt, Germany in a dramatic game that ended with a penalty shootout to win the latest edition of the FIFA Women's World Cup.

U.S.' Alex Morgan opened the match's scoreboard at the 69th minute, but just nine minutes before the match ended, Japan's Aya Miyama scored the equalizer on the 81 minute marker, forcing overtime periods. At minute 104, Abby Wambach scored what seemed to be the game winner for the U.S., but Japan stayed focused and resilient until the team was able to score another equalizer on 117 minute by Homare Sawe.

During the penalty shootout, the U.S. team missed one of their four shots, while Japanese goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori saved two shots to carry the team to its first World Cup championship victory with a 3-1 shootout. Defender Saki Kumagai hit the last and decisive goal.

"The Americans had some great attacking play, but our defensive line was very well organized," Japanese coach Norio Sasaki stated. "The players were patient, they wanted to win this game, and I think it's because of that the Americans scored only two goals."

However, Sasaki said his team had luck in the penalty shootout, and went on to say the team "got some help from my football god!" Despite winning the championship match, he also noted some points of criticism, saying that the team was somewhat rigid at times and did not always play out its strategy.

"Our defensive was very focused and organized, very much like the game against Germany," Sasaki stated, but he said the team did not get into the game 100 percent.

Meanwhile, U.S. coach Pia Sundhage praised the Japanese team, saying that they play "comfortable with the ball even when they are behind and that kind of thing is good for women’s football."

"Playing in the final at the highest level, you have to take your chances, and we weren't sharp enough with the two goals conceded and that is why we didn’t win the game.," Sundhage added.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-18

It was a great game and while I wanted my country to win, after the tsunami, earthquake and nuclear disasters, the Japanese people could really use something to cheer about.

well said.

It was a very good game and well played. After the US got their first goal and began playing that stalling game, I had a bad feeling that the US would lose. They should have kept on pressing 100%.

The downside is that the highlights of the game will be on Japanese television until people are sick of it. I wish the media would put the same effort in the contaminated food here.

TheWalkingMan