New Informaion For Taking Thai Registered Cars Out Of Thailand

I have just been informed by a good friend of mine here in Phuket about new regulations concerning taking a Thai registered car out of Thailand.

This is for Phuket.

If ur traveling to Malaysia u need to go to the DMV and obtain a paper stating the car is urs. U need to present ur Passport, Car Blue Book and proof of ur residence here in Phuket. Easy to do 30 minutes 75 baht.

You will NOT be allowed to cross into Malaysia without it. He went down tried to enter via Sado and they sent him back to Phuket for the paper. Once he had it, no problem. Before you could just enter with ur blue book . YOu still need to have ur car number placed on the back of ur car in English

If your traveling to Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam you need to take the same info above and they will make u up a NEW book for ur car which u need to have to leave Thailand you will ask for a get 3 books at the same time, ( one for each country) 25 Baht each

You also if ur traveling to the above 3 countries you need to get a sticker with the Capital T . SO far I have no idea where to obtain such sticker so if anyone knows PLEASE tell me.

I am planing a trip from Thailand thru Ko Kong, up thru Cambodia and exit into Laos before returning to Thailand Via Nong Khai which i am told can be done with the new book so this is all very good timely info.

Note for Malaysia and Laos you need and can buy temp Insurance. For Cambodia u can not. For Vietnam , I don't know.

Mod, make this sticky and If anyone has FIRST hand Info please post.

Edited by phuketrichard

If you go abroad with your car, if it is owned by you, need the following:

Car registration (blue book)

International Transport Permit (from the LTO (Land Transport Office), purple book, translation of the blue book)

Valid insurance for returning into Thailand.

Your passport and passport/ID-cards for all passengers.

At the Thai side of the border you get a whole load of paper for exporting the car temporarily out of the country.

At the other side of the border it depends on the country what paperwork you will get, however, you need to buy temp insurance.

There is no need for another blue book, or translated numberplates for the countries neighbouring on Thailand.

Of course, there are some LTO's who like you to get all those things like a letter, blue book, numberplate, whatever.

At a price.

The letter is stupid, if the car is in your name, why would you need a letter explaining the car is indeed yours.

If I enter Thailand with, for example, a car from Europe, do I need to translate my numberplate in Thai?

However, the purple book cost you 75 baht, is valid for one year.

Renewal is 50 baht.

And is valid for all countries bordering on Thailand AND the rest of the world.

So one book for all.

And the first time you will get TWO T-stickers, one for on the steel or plastic on the arse of your car, one for sticking on the inside of your backside window.

The LTO in my home town states that the translated numberplates and the blue book (still in Thai so you will need the purple book anyway) are only obligatory for trucks, buses and private cars entering the neighbouring countries on a regular basis.

For tourists, not really necessary, can do, but not obligatory.

Edited by hansnl

hansnl

As I stated this is all NEW info as of last week. Is your info is more recent than last week I stand corrected otherwise its wrong

I took my car last year to Cambodia and the year before to Laos and Cambodia and a few years before to Malaysia. YOU are REQUIRED to have the thai license plate translated into English and placed on the back of your car (stickers ) when u enter Malayisa, Then u buy insurance right at the border.

For Cambodia. I Only had my blue book , Never any LTO, no letter from anyone and as I stated u CANNOT obtain Cambodia insurance for a Thai car in Cambodia and your thai insurance is not valid. I lived in Cambodia with my thai car for 10 months 2008-2009. They never (thai side ) asked about insurance there or when i returned

I have driven into Cambodia more than 8 times and last entry was nov 2010

The letter is now REQUIRED by Malaysian immigration He went last week and they would NOT let him in. Note the letter is in English and done at DMV here in Phuket, He then drove back to Sado and they let him in.

They do NOT have the T stickers at DMV here in Phuket

This what i hate about info here. People passing off wrong or outdated info

additional note, When u enter Cambodia they give you a red plastic Cambodian License plate which ur are supposed to place on ur dash

Edited by phuketrichard

hansnl

As I stated this is all NEW info as of last week. Is your info is more recent than last week I stand corrected otherwise its wrong

I took my car last year to Cambodia and the year before to Laos and Cambodia and a few years before to Malaysia. YOU are REQUIRED to have the thai license plate translated into English and placed on the back of your car (stickers ) when u enter Malayisa, Then u buy insurance right at the border.

For Cambodia. I Only had my blue book , Never any LTO, no letter from anyone and as I stated u CANNOT obtain Cambodia insurance for a Thai car in Cambodia and your thai insurance is not valid. I lived in Cambodia with my thai car for 10 months 2008-2009. They never (thai side ) asked about insurance there or when i returned

I have driven into Cambodia more than 8 times and last entry was nov 2010

The letter is now REQUIRED by Malaysian immigration He went last week and they would NOT let him in. Note the letter is in English and done at DMV here in Phuket, He then drove back to Sado and they let him in.

They do NOT have the T stickers at DMV here in Phuket

This what i hate about info here. People passing off wrong or outdated info

additional note, When u enter Cambodia they give you a red plastic Cambodian License plate which ur are supposed to place on ur dash

just because someone has different experience from you, it doesnt need to be wrong or dated

different DLT, different results

different border passing, different requirements

and just to confuse more, a T is indeed required, so is Thai reg plate in English for Malaysia, front and rear, also for motocy

It seems to me there's nothing special about this "T" sticker, just go to a graphics shop and have some made up, it's certain no one will be the wiser, it's just for notification/identification purposes anyways..

When I got my car Pasport I was given two stickers...a large one and a medium one.

As this report is not the experience of the op but of his friend I think we need a bit more definitivew information.

The car passport is actually the purple book. Most countries do not need it but Laos for one does. It may be got from the Land Transport Department. You will need an address certificate and the cars blue book to get it.

Harry; I repeat, where did u get urs as Phuket DMV where u get the book, DOES NOT have the stickers.

Plus u need to show ur passport

Chiang Mai....and yes I did need my passport...but I always carry that.

Just to clarify the stickers are the black letter in an oval on a white background similar to the ones you see in eutope for GB, CH , D etc or AU

You could easily print them on any computer.

http://www.zazzle.com/thailand_t_identity_symbol_tshirt-235392534254352884

Edited by harrry

When u take ur car out they tell u you 30 days, but once i had mine in Cambodia for over 6 months.

I crossed back and he asked me why so long and i told him i was having a good time. :-)

I have been told 3 or 4 different amounts....30, 90 days and 6 months.

I thinking to be out of the country for 3 to 4 months....so need to know for sure as do not want customs hassles on return......high likelyhood of it being shipped back though, so would be coming through the port and its hassles......if that was an issue I would ship it elsewhere close by and drive it through.