Windows 7

gennisis

Been there tried them all (well not Partition Magic), the only one the would recognize the "lost" portion of a borked HDD clone (MBR did not image so HDD would not boot, said HDD was a 320GB but after clone it was the 80GB of the original, had this happen a few times with Dells) was that one I use now.

It nearly sounds like it is a GPT protective partition which is a pain to remove. How to delete GPT partitions. Troubleshooting GPT protective partitions.

The die is cast !!

I have played arround with Windows7 for 3 weeks....spent quite a few hours with it......Dont like it !!

So am getting it deleted and a new genuine XP installed. Wont bother with dual boot-up,Ive read many complaints about this arrangement.

I fully accept that people may say that its unnessary...that I am an old 'fuggy doggy" etc and I am sure that they are right.

But....I am happy in my ways and Windows 7 is not for me...I will leave progress to those with much more patience than I have..

As regards to the new 'all in one' Acer computer,I like the absence of all the connecting wires etc and the big screen is great,but the 'claimed' 5 watt audio system is CRAP.just as well I dont need it often.

All in all,why did I ever decide to change from my old computer?...20,000baht down the drain !!sad.gif

The die is cast !!

I have played arround with Windows7 for 3 weeks....spent quite a few hours with it......Dont like it !!

So am getting it deleted and a new genuine XP installed. Wont bother with dual boot-up,Ive read many complaints about this arrangement.

I fully accept that people may say that its unnessary...that I am an old 'fuggy doggy" etc and I am sure that they are right.

But....I am happy in my ways and Windows 7 is not for me...I will leave progress to those with much more patience than I have..

As regards to the new 'all in one' Acer computer,I like the absence of all the connecting wires etc and the big screen is great,but the 'claimed' 5 watt audio system is CRAP.just as well I dont need it often.

All in all,why did I ever decide to change from my old computer?...20,000baht down the drain !!sad.gif

New 'Genuine' XP?? Are you sure? Have you bought the disc, together with a genuine Certificate of Authenticity?

If not, don't expect to get 'genuine' anything. In fact, on your machine, it is easy to installed a properly licenced OS. But whether they take this route or go down the well travelled route of a 'borrowed' Volume Licence key remains to be seen.

Windows XP Professional perchance?

The die is cast !!

When Vista was with us, I had installed dual boot-up Vista/XP

Most Computer shops will do this for you + put all your docs on for you for around 300 baht.... = you can always keep going back to the other boot until you get used to it.

With Windows 7 as other people have said you can change it to run and look like XP..

Need help Google 'Win 7 change to look and act like XP'

As for 'CRAP' you did buy a Acer

<br />
<br />I found Win 7 to be a total pain, constantly throwing out issues and incompatibility problems with many of my favourites that I tried to migrate. In the end I just deleted it and went back to what I know works and works well and have never looked back.<br /><br />As the saying goes "if it aint broke dont try and fix it".............Win 7 for me was just a series of ongoing problems.<br />
<br /><br /><br />That's plain dumb. Win XP is obsolete. Buy a new Win7 o/s, it's the best M$ o/s by far and will only be supported for security threats in future. Don't transfer from Win XP to the new o/s since it is not likely to work, but do a clean install of your programs on the new o/s. Win7 ain't broke, it works great.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

A lot of people still keep and maintain in perfect condition cars older than 50 years though. XP may be obsolete for you, but it is still fine for an awful lot of users out there. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's no good!

If you want to compare XP to an old car, would you still drive without a seat belt on? Unless you want to use your XP computer completely isolated from any network or external data sources. Think security and safety.

Edited by Digitalbanana

The die is cast !!

Are windows XP drivers actually available for your whizz bang Acer "all in one" ?

Thanks Tywais, that little program I use is easy and very quick, I have numerous PC's at home so its really no bother to have one dual booting XP for those occassions I need to use said program.

Another option rather than tying up a partition or drive for XP is a bootable XP USB Flash drive. Several tutorials including Youtube to show how to do it.

Tomshardware guide

Thanks Tywais, that little program I use is easy and very quick, I have numerous PC's at home so its really no bother to have one dual booting XP for those occassions I need to use said program.

Another option rather than tying up a partition or drive for XP is a bootable XP USB Flash drive. Several tutorials including Youtube to show how to do it.

Tomshardware guide

Thanks Tywais, I have numerous PC's at home so its really no bother to have one dual booting XP for those occassions I need to use said program.

Been there tried them all (well not Partition Magic), the only one the would recognize the "lost" portion of a borked HDD clone (MBR did not image so HDD would not boot, said HDD was a 320GB but after clone it was the 80GB of the original, had this happen a few times with Dells) was that one I use now.

You will do as you wish, of course. But I have yet to find a drive that Partition Magic and Easeus cant handle.

You will do as you wish, of course. But I have yet to find a drive that Partition Magic and Easeus cant handle.

It's all about ease of doing things, my main PC is not in a standalone box but instead actually built into my PC desk in a concealed compartment so accessing a sata port is a bit of a pain(need to disconnect the radiator/pump and reservoir to remove the top of the compartment), the machine Iam dual booting is sitting set-up on the desk behind me and is easy to access.

Just use Windows XP Mode.

"You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode."

Errrrrrrr I have Windows 7 Starter and I can run programs in XP (Service Pack 3) mode.

Indeed you can. But this is not the same as the Virtual PC XP mode described which is a virtual operating system that opens in its own little window.

Take a look at the link provided.

OK..I've been using XP since it came out...but this new computer has Windows 7

Have been trying to arrange programs etc and used Windows Easy Transfer to migrate all that I wanted from the old one.

Now...when I access a shortcut on the desktop I get the message saying that it cant comply due to the incorrect or missing protocol.

What it this aboutI

I even accessed IE to access Thaivisa,,,right click.selected 'create a shortcut"...shortcut appeared on desktop...click on it..."no protocol"

I am quite sure that the 'computer informed" here can tell me what happening and maybe even tell me what I am doing wrong

Gennisis,

Is your problem from Post #1 Solved or not ?

No...still the same..another reason why i'm XP bound.

<br />
<br />I found Win 7 to be a total pain, constantly throwing out issues and incompatibility problems with many of my favourites that I tried to migrate. In the end I just deleted it and went back to what I know works and works well and have never looked back.<br /><br />As the saying goes "if it aint broke dont try and fix it".............Win 7 for me was just a series of ongoing problems.<br />
<br /><br /><br />That's plain dumb. Win XP is obsolete. Buy a new Win7 o/s, it's the best M$ o/s by far and will only be supported for security threats in future. Don't transfer from Win XP to the new o/s since it is not likely to work, but do a clean install of your programs on the new o/s. Win7 ain't broke, it works great.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

A lot of people still keep and maintain in perfect condition cars older than 50 years though. XP may be obsolete for you, but it is still fine for an awful lot of users out there. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's no good!

If you want to compare XP to an old car, would you still drive without a seat belt on? Unless you want to use your XP computer completely isolated from any network or external data sources. Think security and safety.

Have been using XP for years and with Nod 32 and Malwarebytes I have had no intruders.

"Now...when I access a shortcut on the desktop I get the message saying that it cant comply due to the incorrect or missing protocol.

What it this aboutI

I even accessed IE to access Thaivisa,,,right click.selected 'create a shortcut"...shortcut appeared on desktop...click on it..."no protocol"

Sounds like you arent making the shortcut correctly.

To make a shortcut to a website on the desktop: navigate to the desired website, grab the little icon to the left of the http:// in the address bar, drag it to the desktop and drop it there. It will become a shortcut which will work when you click on it.

Works in all main browsers.

"Now...when I access a shortcut on the desktop I get the message saying that it cant comply due to the incorrect or missing protocol.

What it this aboutI

Sounds like you arent making the shortcut correctly.

To make a shortcut to a website on the desktop: navigate to the desired website, grab the little icon to the left of the http:// in the address bar, drag it to the desktop and drop it there. It will become a shortcut which will work when you click on it.

Works in all main browsers.

Never done it that way....will try. I have (with XP) always simply rt clicked on the web page and the desktop shortcut icon had appeared.

Just tried it your way...dragged to desktop,released mouse click...nothing !!

Edited by gennisis

Never done it that way....will try. I have (with XP) always simply rt clicked on the web page and the desktop shortcut icon had appeared.

No NO you hold the mouse on the little picture in-front of the www. and drag that on your desktop...

or do the same if you want to save it in the space just under the location address bar in Chrome and in Firefox, Edit: just tied it in Chrome and Firefox dragged picture before www. = shortcut on desktop + opens fine from that shortcut..

OR + simple inside but on the right side of the location address bar is a 'Gold Star' on Chrome, click on this you have the options... Save to location bar that is right under the location address bar, save to Bookmarks, Save to Folder and so on.. Edit: when you click on this there is a drop down menu, you simple click where you want to save..

So much faster and easier in Windows 7 than having to highlight and copy/ paste and all that XP performance

Edited by ignis

And what did your cursor look like as you were dragging it?

I can assure you that it does work.

Ive just done it with XP and it works the same, just drag and drop.

Edited by Spoonman

I'm not in LOS, but I've changed from XP to a new Windows 7 PC this week. So far I love Windows 7, it seems much smoother - though that could just be the new, uncluttered PC.

As to easy transfer - I didn't want to bring over a lot of the junk programs and settings that have accumulated over the years, so I copied over data only (photos, music, spreadsheets, etc.) and downloaded new versions of the programs I use as I've needed each one. Shortcuts were an issue for me too, so I've made a folder of shortcuts in "My Documents" and added that to the taskbar as a new toolbar. So far that works fine and doesn't clutter my desktop - it's two clicks to open a shortcut from there instead of one from the desktop, but what the hey. :)

If I have one moan about Windows 7 it's - as with Vista - that toolbars in Mail and Explorer are locked, something as simple as a delete button can't be added - unless someone knows how?